Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
    Ok you people post way too much... I think I read everything... well I hope I did,so...

I have some questions maybe can someone give me an answer, so I can really follow everything here... cause it is really anoying if you are clueless about some things, so here goes

What is Samanda (maybe a stupid question but I have to ask)
    Welcome RCtje!

Ah, Samanda is many things to many people ... it started as a fun way to talk about our combined love of Amanda and Sam - hence, SAManda! In the early days, the little kingdom flourished with the naming of its citizens and their royal occupations and royal galas and its very own newspaper, the Oh Yea What Say Times (RA, hint, hint ... time for a new edition!).

There is actually a very old post (the archives please, deepspace or Keeper!) which will tell you the full story of our mythical kingdom and its merry denizens.

From all this fun and frolic, a compilation was developed into a mighty "Red Book" which was sent to Amanda as a commemoration of her portrayal of Sam. AT was quite touched by all our madcap posts, serious discussions and fan devotion ... she literally cried when she got the book.

Now, 40,000 posts and going strong ... we are here and still hope that newcomers like you will take refuge in a place that honors Sam/Amanda and has developed into a beautiful community of beautiful people.

I have to ask Keeper of the Flame/Astrogeologist if she can point you to some of the archives of Samanda.

"Hic Comitas Regit" is our motto - "Here kindness reigns" based on Amanda's philosophy of life.
    Last edited by ChopinGal; 01 June 2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      just be careful folks

you can announce your noms, tell folks what they are, but you CANNOT utter the phrase 'vote for me' or anything like that

you CANNOT campaign.

i'd hate to see any samandan get disqualified because she uttered some careless words

Perhaps, once the noms are sorted, we can all post who has what nominated, just as a source of information.

maybe someone that isn't nominated will volunteer to gather the info and post it...with no comments, so that there is no issue of campaigning
      Uh oh. Did I make a FOE PAW?

*cowers*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje

... sam's birthday is on 29th December 1968, so I hope this is what you looking for
        Where did you confirm this? Was it on the official Sam Carter dogtag?

When I was at Gabit, I should have looked more closely at the dogtags they were selling - Sam's and Jack's. I know the tags named Carter's religion as Catholic. But would the birthdate be on the dogtag too? Her blood type I believe was listed as A or A+ ... a brilliant mind like Carter should be an "A".

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

When I was at Gabit, I should have looked more closely at the dogtags they were selling - Sam's and Jack's. I know the tags named Carter's religion as Catholic. But would the birthdate be on the dogtag too? Her blood type I believe was listed as A or A+ ... a brilliant mind like Carter should be an "A".
          It was part of her profile on "Entity", if you freeze the DVD and zoom in you can see it.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            Uh oh. Did I make a FOE PAW?

*cowers*
            I think you were just enthusiastically happy and sharing your good fortune! Sky wisely stepped in before you jumped into any quicksand!

Comment

Welcome RCtje!

Ah, Samanda is many things to many people ... it started as a fun way to talk about our combined love of Amanda and Sam - hence, SAManda! In the early days, the little kingdom flourished with the naming of its citizens and their royal occupations and royal galas and its very own newspaper, the Oh Yea What Say Times (RA, hint, hint ... time for a new edition!).

There is actually a very old post (the archives please, deepspace or Keeper!) which will tell you the full story of our mythical kingdom and its merry denizens.

From all this fun and frolic, a compilation was developed into a mighty "Red Book" which was sent to Amanda as a commemoration of her portrayal of Sam. AT was quite touched by all our madcap posts, serious discussions and fan devotion ... she literally cried when she got the book.

Now, 40,000 pages and going strong ... we are here and still hope that newcomers like you will take refuge in a place that honors Sam/Amanda and has developed into a beautiful community of beautiful people.

I have to ask Keeper of the Flame/Astrogeologist if she can point you to some of the archives of Samanda.

"Hic Comitas Regit" is our motto - "Here kindness reigns" based on Amanda's philosophy of life.
              Not quite 40,000 pages...yet.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                It was part of her profile on "Entity", if you freeze the DVD and zoom in you can see it.
                You guys are sneaky!

Comment

I have Carter dogtags hanging next to my computer.

I'm not usually into that kind of thing but...but...but...it's CARTER'S DOGTAGS FCOL!

Anyway, it has her name, service number, blood type (A POS) and religion.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Fic: The Sky is Falling, by Minxy. It's Apocalyptic-fic, Carter and Mitchell stranded in France of all places. It has some really good Sam stuff in it (Note: it's not Sam/Cam shippy by any means. It's simply Sam and Cam stranded. Just so you don't automatically disregard it )

Comment

to the best of my knowledge you can say

I was nominated
                      Thanks for Nominating me
                      This fic nominated

but you CANNOT say any variation of 'vote for me'
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Who's licking arms and why and how do I get to?!?!

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        Whoo! You get to lick Amanda's arm!

Oh, and I dunno if it means the same in Canada, but 'pit stop' here is slang for going to the toilet (or bathroom as the yanks say)
                        sigpic

Comment

Welcome RCtje!

Now, 40,000 posts and going strong ... we are here and still hope that newcomers like you will take refuge in a place that honors Sam/Amanda and has developed into a beautiful community of beautiful people.

Erm.... mutter... shuffle...shuffle... papers falling on floor... Achoo! Dust flies in air.... where is that index post...?.... I know it's around here somewhere... Ah HA! Daniel might be needed to decipher the Ancient script and language, however... 'A Brief Look into a little Samandan History'... and don't drop the tablet that the post is etched on... it might hold the clues to the downfall of the Ori and other such troublesome occurences galaxywide

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                            Erm.... mutter... shuffle...shuffle... papers falling on floor... Achoo! Dust flies in air.... where is that index post...?.... I know it's around here somewhere... Ah HA! Daniel might be needed to decipher the Ancient script and language, however... 'A Brief Look into a little Samandan History'... and don't drop the tablet that the post is etched on... it might hold the clues to the downfall of the Ori and other such troublesome occurences galaxywide
                            I took a look at the link. I saw the pictures of the book that was sent to Amanda! It's huge! What a lot of hard work went into that. Wow. Great stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              Whoo! You get to lick Amanda's arm!

Oh, and I dunno if it means the same in Canada, but 'pit stop' here is slang for going to the toilet (or bathroom as the yanks say)
                              Yupp, it's the same here. "going to make a pit stop" means you're going to to the loo. Although, with the current state of affairs, is there really much difference? After all, they really do seem to be taking the p*ss!
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Spoiler:

Sam

According to Entity, Sam was born in 1968 or 1969 which makes her either 38 or 39 years old in 2006. However, Entity states that she was born in December while Ascension suggests that she was born in May. While the month that Sam was born really is not a huge issue, it does alter when she was allowed to join the Air Force Academy.

Air ForceAcademy Requirements state that:
                                • All candidates must be at least 17, but less than 23 years of age by July 1 of the year they would enter. The age requirement is public law and cannot be waived.
                                So if Sam were born in May 1968, then she would have been eligible to enter the AirForceAcademy in 1985; however, if she was born in December 1968 then Sam would not have been eligible to join the Air Force Academy until fall of 1986, the same year as the Challenger accident. So Sam could have joined the Academy in 1985 or 1986 and graduated in 1989 or 1990. The evidence is unclear due to the fact that we do not know what month she was truly born.

We also know from CoTG, that Sam clocked more than 100 hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War, which took place between August 2, 1990 and July 31, 1991and has flown an F-16 (CoTG).

Many have speculated whether or not Sam could have obtained her flight training between the time she graduated from the Academy and the time she supposedly flew in the Gulf War.

According to a website I found, all Air Force pilot candidates begin their flying training with introductory flight training (IFT). Civilian flight instructors at fixed base operations around the country conduct this training in aircraft such as the Cessna 152. Students receive 50 hours of instruction and must qualify for their private pilot certificate to successfully complete the program. I’m not positive, but I believe Sam could have obtained this training during her time at the Academy.

The next step in the process is joint specialized undergraduate pilot training, which prepares student pilots for the full spectrum of aircraft and flying missions. This training takes approximately 52 weeks to complete.

In order to have flown an F-16 aircraft in the Gulf War, Sam would have to have completed Phase 3 - Advanced Aircraft Trainingon the T-38 Talon - Fighter / Bomber Track as each type of aircraft requires a different type of training.

Now if Sam did in fact graduate from the Academy in 1989, then it is quite possible for Sam to have received the necessary flight training in order to fly solo during the Gulf War. However, this still does not explain why she does not have her wings as all pilots who complete this training receive their silver wings.

For more information about Undergraduate Pilot Training

Sam later spent two years at the Pentagon working on the Stargate Project before Daniel got the Stargate to work the first time. (CoTG, Secrets). According to CoTG, Daniel got the gate working in 1996; therefore, Sam would have been working at the Pentagon from 1994-1996. After the first Abydos mission, she researched alternative applications for the gate, including time travel (1969), which we can assume was from 1996-1997 before Sam was transferred back to the Stargate project. There is also three years here where we do not know what Sam was doing and during this time it could have been quite possible for Sam to have been working on her PHD; however, I have my own speculations that being a child genius Sam had already obtained her Master's degree before entering the Academy and was working on her PHD during those four years...but I won't go into that right now.

Promotion Min. Time In Service/Grade

Rank 02 TOS 2yrs TIG 2yrs
                                Rank 03 TOS 4yrs TIG 2yrs
                                Rank 04 TOS 9-11yrs TIG 3yrs
                                Rank 05 TOS 15-17yrs TIG 3yrs
                                Rank 06 TOS 21-23yrs TIG 3yrs

In 1997, Sam was a Captain in the USAF

If Sam graduated from the Academy in June 1989, then the…
                                · Minimum TIS for First Lieutenant would have been June 1991.
                                · Minimum TIS for Captain would have been June 1993.
                                In 1999, she was promoted to the rank of Major.
                                She must have joined the Air Force no later than 1989, as she had to have been in the AF for at least ten years to make Major, which she was promoted to in 1999. She has also received the AF Longevity Ribbon, which is given for four years of service, with a bronze star, which represents the second awarding -- so she's been in more than eight years, but less than twelve, as of FairGame [1999]).
                                In 2004, she was promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel.
                                She must have fifteen years TIS in order to be promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel.
                                According to the promotion information I found, Sam would not be eligible for the rank of Colonel until the year 2010; however, these requirements can often be overlooked by the promotion committee if the candidate is deemed worthy of early promotion and she will have had three years time in grade as of July 2007.
                                _____________________________________________________________
                                Mitchell

According to (Collateral Damage) Mitchell was no more than ten years old during the first Space Shuttle Flight in 1981, which would make him 35 years old.

If Mitchell was indeed born in 1971,

· He could not have entered the Academy before 1988.
                                · He could not have enlisted in the AF until 1988.

If he chose to go the Academy route,
                                · He would not have graduated until 1992.
                                · Minimum TIS for First Lieutenant … 1994.
                                · Minimum TIS for Captain… 1996
                                · Minimum TIS for Major … 2002.
                                · Minimum TIS for Lt. Colonel… 2007
                                · Minimum TIS for Colonel … 2012

Therefore it’s unlikely that Mitchell graduated from the Academy.

If he were already a college graduate, he could have become an officer after enlisting into the AF and going through OTS(OfficerTraining School). He would have enlisted into the AF at the rank of Staff Sergeant and been commissioned as a Second Lieutenant after completion of the twelve week training program.

So if Mitchell graduated from high school like most people at the age of 17 or 18 year’s old and it took him four years to complete his Bachelor’s degree, then one would assume that he did not enlist into the USAF until 1993, which would again have made it very unlikely for him to have attained his current rank of Lt. Colonel by the battle over Antarctica in 2003.

He may have went the AFROTC route, but I don't have enough information to determine if he could have advanced through the ranks any quicker by going this route.

Honestly I just don't see how all this adds up, but I according to my little calculations(if they are correct) Sam will be eligible for the rank of Colonel two years before Mitchell.

I put this in spoilers so that I don't spam anyone who doesn't wish to read it.
                                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 02 June 2006, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X