Spazzy, so being so.... Spazzy And sif not be on MSN either :O

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Spazzy, so being so.... Spazzy And sif not be on MSN either :O
      :| I know. I haven't been on in weeks!

Blame school. I always do.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

In Sam's case, I don't think the ship makes her any less of a role model, to be honest. Like I said before, she's human. AT has mentioned the fallibility of the characters, the traits that make these characters more believable. It works for her, because she needs to essentially sell her character; and it helps us relate to the character and buy it, because she's not a super hero. She's an ordinary human doing extraordinary things. And I think we'd all like to relate to that in some small way.
        beautifully put.

in the two ships that sam's really been in (jack and pete); with jack, she 'fell' into this somewhat unwillingly, and with pete, she chose to enter into this relationship. whether the latter (pete) worked out or not, it was still a personal journey that nourished her soul. with jack, she couldn't help where her feelings went (but, to me, is her soulmate) . both of these relationships for sam made her (to me) *very* human. so-so writing or not, *amanda* made these storylines work and made me feel an even deeper connection with her.

To be fair, I think Vala has the potential to be a role model, too. A character is what the actor makes it, but the writing has to contain some amount of character depth to it. And as long as Vala's morals and ethics remain questionable, and if she remains relatively static by the first few episodes of S10, even after all that she'll have gone through, that'll say to me that Vala's not meant to be a role model for anyone - male or female. Claudia Black, however, has what it takes to turn her around, imo, if they simply give her a chance.
        the thing with vala is... they might do great with writing her with depth and such (at the beginning of the season), but they might also go right back to the see-saw craziness like how they wrote mitchell in season 9.

are the writers on meds? if not, can we chip in and buy them some?

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          Wow, extreme Copy and Paste from somewhere Spazzy?

But yeah, I agree. What annoys me is all the crap handed out to female characters on how poorly they are written, yet the male characters who are equally as poorly written get off scot free. I really dont think the penis is that powerful

what were we talking about again?

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            i never saw ship splitting the team up. i saw the writers splitting the team up, which they did in season 9, which had no ship in it... hmmm. i say hmmm.

sally
            I'd cite Evolution and Affinity as examples of ship ruining friendship... I guess it doesn't really cover splitting the team, but I said it was possible that it was just me... I also see it in Lost City and Threads... Daniel and Teal'c show up together in Lost City, and then in Threads, it's Sam and Jack at the lake and later Daniel and Teal'c. But I could be seeing things differently...
            The really disturbing thing is, this is me on a GOOD day.

Comment

what were we talking about again?

sally
              Or maybe it is?

Comment

Originally posted by fishyone
                I'd cite Evolution and Affinity as examples of ship ruining friendship... I guess it doesn't really cover splitting the team, but I said it was possible that it was just me... I also see it in Lost City and Threads... Daniel and Teal'c show up together in Lost City, and then in Threads, it's Sam and Jack at the lake and later Daniel and Teal'c. But I could be seeing things differently...
                naw, you're not seeing things. i've heard this from other non-s/j shippers too.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

beautifully put.

in the two ships that sam's really been in (jack and pete); with jack, she 'fell' into this somewhat unwillingly, and with pete, she chose to enter into this relationship. whether the latter (pete) worked out or not, it was still a personal journey that nourished her soul. with jack, she couldn't help where her feelings went (but, to me, is her soulmate) . both of these relationships for sam made her (to me) *very* human. so-so writing or not, *amanda* made these storylines work and made me feel an even deeper connection with her.

sally
                  I agree that Amanda really made the relationships work. She sold them. And Sam is very human. I'm not saying that she isn't. I'm just saying that it was weird that after six years of an independent Sam, we suddenly got a driving need for a boyfriend. But I guess that was so-so writing to blame? Though I remember a lowdown where Amanda asked for a boyfriend that didn't die...

Comment

naw, you're not seeing things. i've heard this from other non-s/j shippers too.

sally

Ah, okay. I thought of another one: Moebius, with Jack and Sam in the jumper and Daniel and Teal'c elsewhere... Or the great moment in Out of Mind where Sam tells Daniel to go with Makepeace because "he's wounded" and then goes back to take out the generator and rescue Jack. Um, right. Daniel's wounded, so he should go assult the gate with the others?

Sorry. I guess that was a bit of a rant. That just bugs me (and not even for ship reasons. That's just flawed reasoning in my opinion.)

Comment

Well said. Amanda's a very talented and beautiful actress. What more can you say. She's brilliant! I hope the ship comes in, in season 10.
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I agree, these storylines worked to make Sam slightly more rounded. I don't think that being in a relationship actually challenged Sam's kick butt attitude either. She still went off on a possible suicide mission in New Order and the like. The only thing that got me with the Sam/Pete relationship that made absolutly no sense whatsoever was at the end of Affinity where at the 'crime scene' she not only accepted Pete's proposal but then followed up by kissing him.

Very unprofessional, and very contrary to the Sam that we know.
                        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          You're no more of an idiot than I am.

Oh wait, I might be more of one as it is part and parcel of my official duties as Royal Pain in the Mik'ta...

I'm sorry you had a tough day though. Just remember the doors of Samanda are always open.

Unless GW's having *issues*...in which case the doors are closed to all by TEH EEEEVIL SERVERS.
                          Thanks, I really appreciate it. I am feeling better today.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                            I agree, these storylines worked to make Sam slightly more rounded. I don't think that being in a relationship actually challenged Sam's kick butt attitude either. She still went off on a possible suicide mission in New Order and the like. The only thing that got me with the Sam/Pete relationship that made absolutly no sense whatsoever was at the end of Affinity where at the 'crime scene' she not only accepted Pete's proposal but then followed up by kissing him.

Very unprofessional, and very contrary to the Sam that we know.
                            Yeah...the whole acceptance of his proposal was not right. I got the impression that she really didn't want to marry Pete. It was just the way she said yes...it just didn't seem sincere...more like...hey, why not. Does that make sense? She just didn't seem overly excited by it all. Oh well, it all ended up good in the end - no more Pete!!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                              You know one of the things l like about Sam? I love how selfless she is. For instance, in the season finale
                              Spoiler:
                              when she's going out into space to meddle with the Ori gate. I was sitting there yelling "Are you crazy!? What are you doing!?" She was risking her life to go out there and do that. She is probably the most valuable asset Earth has, and she's going to go float around in space. Someone expendable could have done it, but she did it. I guess if you want it done right, do it yourself. I bet she never thought of herself as more valuable than anyone else. But seriously, if she weren't around, Earth would have never even made it past the first season. We NEED Sam.
                              She's always thinking about others and putting them first. It's just one of the many qualities about Sam I admire. Though, she does need to take some time for herself once
                              Spoiler:
                              they pull her out of space.
                              Totally agree with you there. Same thing in Singularity when she thought that Cassie was going to die. She was willing to be there with her even if it meant giving up her own life. I'm sure there's many other examples, but that's the only one I can come up with now. We do need Sam here on the show, and I hope TPTB realize that and keep her on the show for as long as it lasts (and NOT reduce her role or turn her into wallpaper ).

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                                I'm go for s/j but I don't mind if I don't see it onscreen. My imagination and fanfic are much better than the series
                                That is exactly how I am about s/d (though I know I'm never going to see it onscreen anyway...).

Comment

Working...
                                X