Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    I'm having a Sam Carter appreciation morning. And I'm shamelessly OK with that. LOL ACTUALLY... I'm rendering out some stuff and so I have about a half hour to kill here, and I figured what better way than to sign on and say something about SAM.

The thing about Carter that I adore in terms of her character for television (and which I just explained to one of my colleagues here), is that she's somehow managed to jump the bar on a character "type" (if you will), that normally ends up either:

* an over-the-top version of "I am woman, hear me roar and get the hell outta my way because I have more ISSUES than you have ideas..." feminist cliche [See "Starbuck" in BSG - sorry BSG fans ]

OR

* an under-the-top scientific genius / total social outcast lacking any social/interpersonal skills [See Dr. Temperance Brennan in BONES - sorry BONES fans ]

But Sam Carter is NEITHER of those extremes. Regardless of how abysmally the last season of SG-1 has played out, I do have to tip my acknowledgement to the writing team for engendering her character to begin with, smoothing out those cliche potentials and coming up (copiously assisted by Amanda) with a character who rings not only believable, but real.

Sam Carter is a (beautiful) woman, a (likely certified) genius, a (stand-up) soldier, and a psychological conundrum who (all things considered) could far more easily have turned into someone's ill-conceived Mary Sue than she might have become what she DID turn into - a guilelessly visceral female role model.

Quite frankly, I honestly admit that I'd never have given much credence to a television writingteam's ability to come up with such a character to BEGIN WITH, nevermind provide nearly a decade of her, in such a strong, well balanced light. Of course, Amanda played no small role in that development, either. She's the lifeforce behind Sam Carter. But there is a lot to be said for dodging the status-quo where the Carter character is concerned, and I think credit is due all around therein.

I'm certainly a tough audience to please when it comes to my "strong" female characters. Because far too often, the role is distorted, overcompensated for, and made glaringly fictional.

Before I 'met' Sam Carter, if anyone had told me they were writing a character who was:

* a genius
    * a pilot
    * a soldier (and a good one)
    * proficient in high level hand-to-hand combat
    * a physicist (PhD)
    * a mechanical engineer
    * an afficionado of motor sports and classic cycles
    * drop dead gorgeous

I'd have said... "Oh yeah, that'll come out looking real."

But... Sam Carter DOES. She IS. Somehow, Amanda and the writers have managed to convince even me of the fact that not only can such a character exist in good narrative, she can grow (because lets face it, she started out pretty damn 'special' to begin with). They've convinced me that she's got flaws, that those flaws aren't huge and overstated to the point where they take over her life and make her into an emotionally unbalanced (necessarily loose-canon), but that she (like any other 'normal' person might choose to) deals with her issues on a case by case basis, and many of them emerge to surprise even HER.

I'm still surprised each time I watch an episode that features her character, at how MUCh they packed into a single soul, and yet how little it seems to affect her persona in any cliche sense.

That, to me is the biggest reason that Sam Carter is a great character. Because she raises the bar - without question. Because she's a hero without resorting to insanity or imbalance. Because she makes mistakes, and has to learn from them. Because she doesn't embody a burlesque. And because she tackles each of her fictional challenges from a Human perspective, despite the scientist in her, despite the soldier. Through the Sam Carter character, Amanda and the writers have engendered a personality (albeit a fictional entitity) who embodies both strength and femininity, not to mention the kind of down-to-earth rationale vis-a-vis problem-solving that we might all hope to achieve in ourselves. Perhaps despite all of that, she still comes across as real. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

SAM CARTER IS THE BEST DAMN FEMALE CHARACTER ON TELEVISION TODAY.

In my books at least, that is no small basket of potatoes to lay claim to.

mini(the unashamed Sam Carter fangurl)geek

-
    Excellent post. The green jello fridge seems to be locked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
      With a little effort they could have brought Cam along as the new guy without sacrificing Teal'c, Sam and Daniel (in daniel's case sacrificing him on the altar of BAB's new infatuation,Vala). Somehow they managed to keep Jack, Teal'c and Sam in character and busy when Jonas was introduced.
      You're absolutely right. I don't see why Mitchell was needed in the first place, but it wasn't necessary to sacrifice the screentime and storylines of the other characters to accomodate him.

Look at the first two episodes of Season Six - we have Jonas wanting to join SG-1 and see something of his extraordinary ability to learn, yes but we also see Sam working with McKay to combat a threat, Jack risking his life to save the world from the exploding stargate and Teal'c both dealing with family issues and on a mission of his own.

Season Six was not the Jonas Show. Season Nine did not need to be the Mitchell Show.

Originally posted by jckfan55
      Sam's call-in in the first episode of the season at least made sense in terms of AT's maternity leave. It's the later episodes when she's *back* I have a problem with.
      They handled Sam's absence and return so poorly and were so obviously determined to pimp Mitchell as the leader of SG-1 that I think she would have been conveniently absent for the first few episodes even if Amanda Tapping had been available.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
        Shiny, new and fun doesn't seem to be helping the ratings.

Maybe the writers should consider going back to the boring, non-shiny old characters. You know, the ones with actual depth.
        personally i prefer the boring non-shiny old characters with depth

sig by starlover1990

Comment

I'm having a Sam Carter appreciation morning. And I'm shamelessly OK with that. LOL ACTUALLY... I'm rendering out some stuff and so I have about a half hour to kill here, and I figured what better way than to sign on and say something about SAM.

The thing about Carter that I adore in terms of her character for television (and which I just explained to one of my colleagues here), is that she's somehow managed to jump the bar on a character "type" (if you will), that normally ends up either:

* an over-the-top version of "I am woman, hear me roar and get the hell outta my way because I have more ISSUES than you have ideas..." feminist cliche [See "Starbuck" in BSG - sorry BSG fans ]

OR

* an under-the-top scientific genius / total social outcast lacking any social/interpersonal skills [See Dr. Temperance Brennan in BONES - sorry BONES fans ]

But Sam Carter is NEITHER of those extremes. Regardless of how abysmally the last season of SG-1 has played out, I do have to tip my acknowledgement to the writing team for engendering her character to begin with, smoothing out those cliche potentials and coming up (copiously assisted by Amanda) with a character who rings not only believable, but real.

Sam Carter is a (beautiful) woman, a (likely certified) genius, a (stand-up) soldier, and a psychological conundrum who (all things considered) could far more easily have turned into someone's ill-conceived Mary Sue than she might have become what she DID turn into - a guilelessly visceral female role model.

Quite frankly, I honestly admit that I'd never have given much credence to a television writingteam's ability to come up with such a character to BEGIN WITH, nevermind provide nearly a decade of her, in such a strong, well balanced light. Of course, Amanda played no small role in that development, either. She's the lifeforce behind Sam Carter. But there is a lot to be said for dodging the status-quo where the Carter character is concerned, and I think credit is due all around therein.

I'm certainly a tough audience to please when it comes to my "strong" female characters. Because far too often, the role is distorted, overcompensated for, and made glaringly fictional.

Before I 'met' Sam Carter, if anyone had told me they were writing a character who was:

* a genius
          * a pilot
          * a soldier (and a good one)
          * proficient in high level hand-to-hand combat
          * a physicist (PhD)
          * a mechanical engineer
          * an afficionado of motor sports and classic cycles
          * drop dead gorgeous

I'd have said... "Oh yeah, that'll come out looking real."

But... Sam Carter DOES. She IS. Somehow, Amanda and the writers have managed to convince even me of the fact that not only can such a character exist in good narrative, she can grow (because lets face it, she started out pretty damn 'special' to begin with). They've convinced me that she's got flaws, that those flaws aren't huge and overstated to the point where they take over her life and make her into an emotionally unbalanced (necessarily loose-canon), but that she (like any other 'normal' person might choose to) deals with her issues on a case by case basis, and many of them emerge to surprise even HER.

I'm still surprised each time I watch an episode that features her character, at how MUCh they packed into a single soul, and yet how little it seems to affect her persona in any cliche sense.

That, to me is the biggest reason that Sam Carter is a great character. Because she raises the bar - without question. Because she's a hero without resorting to insanity or imbalance. Because she makes mistakes, and has to learn from them. Because she doesn't embody a burlesque. And because she tackles each of her fictional challenges from a Human perspective, despite the scientist in her, despite the soldier. Through the Sam Carter character, Amanda and the writers have engendered a personality (albeit a fictional entitity) who embodies both strength and femininity, not to mention the kind of down-to-earth rationale vis-a-vis problem-solving that we might all hope to achieve in ourselves. Perhaps despite all of that, she still comes across as real. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

-
          great post minigeek

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Well mini(the unashamed Sam Carter fangurl)geek I tried to give you give you some green for that great post, but alas they wouldn't let me

I imagine your fidge is over flowing with green jello after posts like that! Brava
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
              You're absolutely right. I don't see why Mitchell was needed in the first place, but it wasn't necessary to sacrifice the screentime and storylines of the other characters to accomodate him.

Look at the first two episodes of Season Six - we have Jonas wanting to join SG-1 and see something of his extraordinary ability to learn, yes but we also see Sam working with McKay to combat a threat, Jack risking his life to save the world from the exploding stargate and Teal'c both dealing with family issues and on a mission of his own.

Season Six was not the Jonas Show. Season Nine did not need to be the Mitchell Show.

They handled Sam's absence and return so poorly and were so obviously determined to pimp Mitchell as the leader of SG-1 that I think she would have been conveniently absent for the first few episodes even if Amanda Tapping had been available.
              If any female character could replace the classic male hero type it's Carter. She has all the tools to do the job.
              WHAT DO YOU MEAN, NO BLUE JELLO?

Comment

you know, i can see why they needed JOnas. and i can see why they needed cam. with AT gone for 6 eps, rda gone totally, daniel and teal'c simply are not strong enough to carry the show on thier own. i mean, face it, what do the characters have goingfor them lately?

daniel and the ancients, teal'c and the jaffa. the B@B haven't done much to give them a broader base lately and neither of those storylines are conducive to carry the show for that long

cameron was needed. Hell, they could have used him a year ago. but, i still say that the 'issue' isn't that he's here, it's HOW he got here. I'ts not that mitch exists, it's how he exists and how he was introduced.

the OTT Hewo hard sell has backfired. the uneven writing has made him a joke. is he fun or is he serious? is he qualified to lead or a goof?

it all depends on which part of which eps you watch.

MAJOR mitchell would have been great though. Major Mitchell, who has to learn and join the team would have been great. we could have gotten the enthusiasm and all his flaws would have been a lot more forgivable.

So it's not that mitch is there. I think that he was needed. (i think, after all the hooha of MS leaving the show they shoulda started to develop some potential replacements back in s7, but that's another topic). I just don't think this needed addition was executed very well
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                  Well mini(the unashamed Sam Carter fangurl)geek I tried to give you give you some green for that great post, but alas they wouldn't let me

I imagine your fidge is over flowing with green jello after posts like that! Brava
                  i'm locked out of the greenjello fridge too, but it was a great post mini
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

That whole post was awesome mini.
                    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      MAJOR mitchell would have been great though. Major Mitchell, who has to learn and join the team would have been great. we could have gotten the enthusiasm and all his flaws would have been a lot more forgivable.
                      It really is a pity that you weren't on the writing team.

As he is written, Mitchell has nothing going for him but a newcomer's enthusiasm. That's the only thing he brings to the table that Sam, Daniel and Teal'c haven't provided in spades. In a leader, it comes across very badly and makes him look childish and incompetent. In Major Mitchell, a bit overawed by his colleagues and first but overjoyed to be allowed work with the legendary SG-1, it would work.

I'd actually have been interested in seeing how Season Nine would have worked out if they had brought Jonas back and had him on SG-1 instead of Mitchell. Poor Sam would have had her hands full, though, especially if Vala was still around.

Comment

-
                        I seem to be all out of green at the moment too, but that was a great post and lovely way to bring us back on topic.
                        sigpic

Comment

I finally figured out what the next Stargate spin-off is going to be!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

I think that Sam and Vala would either work really well together, or try to kill each other before the end of the first episode. It could go either way.

Comment

I'm having a Sam Carter appreciation morning ... I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Hey mini, you got it right! Excellent post but no green jello in my fridge, so you'll have to settle for this instead ...

Comment

Working...
                                X