Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JuliaR
    Sorry people. All information about the event will be released within the next few weeks. What I will say is that this is an amazingly special kind of event. We are very proud to have been approached to do it.

Julia
    G4
    Just curious, who approached who? Did AT have a say? It wouldn't surprise me! She did accompany RDA at fund raisers before.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      Yes. And I don't know that anything can be "done" by any one person. It would involve a shift in point of view, I suppose, primarily among shippers themselves - to not give in to the impluse to feel peer-pressured into reticence (here) about expressing an enjoying that kind of story (Sally excluded <GRIN>).

I see a specific trend here, and I'm pointing out. What we'll do (or not do) with it, I can't begin to anticipate.

These are active SAMANDANS. They're not lurkers. So... apparently, the reticence is alive and well, and the arguments (largely coming from non shippers I see ) are valid, however if my point is that a segment of this group feels this way and I'm the only one (shall we say not reticent) to post about it, my POV will, undoubtedly, be swallowed by the ensuing onslaught of the people who don't feel reticent - because well, they DON'T feel reticent, so they're posting.

Make sense? Gimme some credit here before you dismiss me off hand. Maybe I'm the only one crazy enough to stick my head out and risk it getting blown off. Fact is, I'm trying to champion a pov from a group of people who (by definition) are too shy, worried, intimidated or otherwise unwilling to post their feelings on this matter publicly HERE (in this particular thread). So I guess I am trapped in a catch 22. But I'm certainly not whistling dixie (as well as I may whistle it!).

minigeek
      I'll stick my head out there with you, Mini. Maybe even farther than you, because this has sort of been an issue bothering me for a long time, too, and it actually does go beyond just fanfic.

I have long felt uncomfortable in the thread when the ship issue comes up, because it often feels to me that there is judgement going on about the people who ship Sam and Jack behind a lot of statements made by non-shippers, or perhaps people who ship someone else. There is a tone in a lot of posts akin to "Oh, those crazy 'shippers..."

I'll give a personal example-I mentioned once, a while back, when we were talking about fanfic, how I'd had sadly been on the reading end of some really, really bad fic. One of the comments made to me was something along the line of 'well, I've never had that problem, but then I'm not a shipper.'

I was irritated by that response, because it 1) assumed that only s/j fic stinks, and worse, 2) assumed that because I'm a shipper, all I read is s/j fic. Point 2 really bothered me because of the assumptions the person was making about me, without knowing anything about me except that one thing I was happened to like was Sam and Jack together. (Ironnically, the fic I was thinking of when I made the post about the really bad fic wasn't even SG1, let alone S/J.)

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz
        Just curious, who approached who? Did AT have a say? It wouldn't surprise me! She did accompany RDA at fund raisers before.
        Now that would be telling! All I will say is that we were asked if we would like to do it.

Julia
        G4
        To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Yes. And I don't know that anything can be "done" by any one person. It would involve a shift in point of view, I suppose, primarily among shippers themselves - to not give in to the impluse to feel peer-pressured into reticence (here) about expressing an enjoying that kind of story (Sally excluded <GRIN>).

I see a specific trend here, and I'm pointing out. What we'll do (or not do) with it, I can't begin to anticipate.

But I AM getting private rep and PM comments this afternoon which look like this:

and this:

These are active SAMANDANS. They're not lurkers. So... apparently, the reticence is alive and well, and the arguments (largely coming from non shippers I see ) are valid, however if my point is that a segment of this group feels this way and I'm the only one (shall we say not reticent) to post about it, my POV will, undoubtedly, be swallowed by the ensuing onslaught of the people who don't feel reticent - because well, they DON'T feel reticent, so they're posting.

Make sense? Gimme some credit here before you dismiss me off hand. Maybe I'm the only one crazy enough to stick my head out and risk it getting blown off. Fact is, I'm trying to champion a pov from a group of people who (by definition) are too shy, worried, intimidated or otherwise unwilling to post their feelings on this matter publicly HERE (in this particular thread). So I guess I am trapped in a catch 22. But I'm certainly not whistling dixie (as well as I may whistle it!).

minigeek
          Jeepers. Here I thought shippers and non-shippers were coexisting in a non-judgmental way all this time. I don't care if you like ship, just because I have problems with it. Recommend whatever you want and mention or don't mention that the story contains ship. We are an AT/Sam thread & ship will come up, though it is not to predominate (and it hasn't). I apologize if my teasing comments of anti-ship have in any way made anyone feel this is not a welcoming place for shippers. We all love Amanda Tapping and Sam and that bonds us.
          Hic Comitas Regit.

Comment

I guess we both feel the opposite. I do feel (as you mentioned). Even though I'm vocal and not necessarily intimidated from posting my pro shipper POV, I do feel (often) that the POV is not necessarily welcomed. Whether it's me saying it, or CJ or Uber or whomever else.

But ya know what? In the end, I realized something far more important than all that right before my last post - I was getting all worked up too and upset, and I thought - WHY? It was my own damn fault for bringing it up, that's why.

I don't resent any of you, and certainly Strix I consider YOU a friend. Whether we're both of the same mindset over Samanda's collective view of fanfiction seems like such a silly trivial thing at the end of that. It's FANFICTION and "SHIP". How less consequential to life can you get? Worth debating, perhaps - arguing over? No way.

So I just wanna let it go. Obviously, each of us feels our own version of "my POV isn't widely accepted here", so I'm quite hoping to just let us agree that (whatever those opinions are), the friendships we all have mean more than they do, and it's not worth upsetting one another over it.

I certainly never meant to cause you undue resentment.

Hugs,
            geek
            Well, you're awfully quick on the gun, aren't you. That post wasn't up but half a minute.

Listen, I'm not apologetic for being a non-shipper, but I see no need for shippers to be apologetic for being pro-ship. I don't know if you're suffering from a collective bout of insecurity because you're being attacked from all directions elsewhere in fandom, but I would hope that you don't need to be apologetic about it on this thread.

For my part, if I say or do things that make you uncomfortable, call me on it. I can assure you that I don't think less of fics that have S/J ship (most of my favorites, in fact, do). I've written it, for crying out loud. If it truly squicked me, I wouldn't have touched it. I think it's canon.

And geek, the respect and feeling of friendship is mutual. But, then, I like EVERYONE on this thread. Well, with some exceptions, like Astro and Ooober, who I simply cannot stand.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              Jeepers. Here I thought shippers and non-shippers were coexisting in a non-judgmental way all this time. I don't care if you like ship, just because I have problems with it. Recommend whatever you want and mention or don't mention that the story contains ship. We are an AT/Sam thread & ship will come up, though it is not to predominate (and it hasn't). I apologize if my teasing comments of anti-ship have in any way made anyone feel this is not a welcoming place for shippers. We all love Amanda Tapping and Sam and that bonds us.
              Hic Comitas Regit.
              You're right jckfan. I've let it go. I've apologized for ever bringing it up. I should probably also apologize for perpetuating it. So consider this that apology, too. Now, on with the Carter!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

What I love about this thread is the people on it I love that we can talk about Amanda and Sam and show what we like/dislike about what's going on. We have had so many wonderful posts about AT/SC, what a wonderful person she is, and how she plays the character so well. But I also like coming here to talk with everyone here, to joke with them, to cry with them to congratulate them, its like a surrogate family and when I think of a specific person I think about that person not whether they are a shipper/non-shipper, because that part doesn't really matter to me, the friendships do.

So if someone feels uncomfortable about something on the thread, I'd like to know about it, incase I did something to contribute to the problem so I can stop doing it or to just let everyone know that its going on and we can all try to stop making others feel uncomfortable.

I for one would hate it if anyone left the thread, I'd miss you
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia

For my part, if I say or do things that make you uncomfortable, call me on it. I can assure you that I don't think less of fics that have S/J ship (most of my favorites, in fact, do). I've written it, for crying out loud. If it truly squicked me, I wouldn't have touched it. I think it's canon.
                  I know. And I was never directing my comments towards your person, anyway, Strix. Not you specifically at all. I didn't even have you in the back of my mind when I posted initially. It's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR
                    Now that would be telling! All I will say is that we were asked if we would like to do it.

Julia
                    G4
                    Okay...okay. So you won't tell us now.

That's cool.

But...you'll tell us eventually right?

Right?!??!??????

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      Okay...okay. So you won't tell us now.

That's cool.

But...you'll tell us eventually right?

Right?!??!??????
                      Only if you promise to GO TO THIS ONE! You're ditching us for GABIT, so you have to actually promise to attend this one, or ... else, yeah. Or else.

Comment

You know what guys? Just forget it. I've said my bit - and if it makes no sense or sounds all accusy without helping out with at least a suggestion regarding constrictively moving forward with a change, then I apologize. I concede - I don't have a plan to make it all peachy. I don't have a frickin clue how to magically change any of it. So maybe that means we should just forget about it all together.

I'll get PMs like this:

But no one's actually willing to post that publicly. And I know why - the people most vocal here (including myself) can be (totally inadvertently) intimidating to those less vocal. That's how life goes and I appreciate that. Most of the more vocal people here I consider online friends, despite the fact we're not seeing the same scenario in this particular instance. I really do love you guys!

And I REALLY don't want anyone to feel accused or maligned or like I'm trying to start an unfounded witch hunt. I apologize for that, again. I need to learn to keep my frickin yap shut, get back to work and, above that, I really take a break for a bit. It's FANfiction FCOL. T'aint even worth it.

What the hell difference does it make? Just ignore me.
                        I need to say that first, I haven't read past this post so forgive if I'm re-posting another's thoughts.
                        I am one of the bearer's of the PM post Mini showed above and one of the earlier PM's shown in Mini's posts.
                        Reason for not posting my thoughts?
                        No, I'm not as articulate as many probably due to dog grooming for 30 some years. You don't get too many articulate converations with dogs for that many years even though I did ace in a whole semester of English just after high school. As I could hear Jack saying, Old Cliches, "You don't use it, you lose it."
                        I do agree with her that the fics have been 'assigned' J/S but with the pinch of "I'm Sorry", just a warning.... feeling.
                        Maybe it's due to the 'Beware" we shippers piggy-back since the days of the 'shipper wars'.
                        I just want to fess up and say in simple laymans terms that I acknowledged the same feelings Mini did...does, and I appreciate her taking the bat for us who agree. I

I also agree with Uber. Just a simple 'Subject Matter' before a Fic recommendation may cure any differences as to who reads what.
                        Last edited by SG1Poz; 13 May 2006, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Just a little bump back up onto page 1

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz
                            I need to say that first, I haven't read past this post so forgive if I'm re-posting another's thoughts.
                            I am one of the bearer's of the PM post Mini showed above and one of the earlier PM's shown in Mini's posts.
                            Reason for not posting my thoughts?
                            No, I'm not as articulate as many probably due to dog grooming for 30 some years. You don't get too many articulate converations with dogs for that many years even though I did ace in a whole semester of English just after high school. As I could hear Jack saying, Old Cliches, "You don't use it, you lose it."
                            I do agree with her that the fics have been 'assigned' J/S but with the pinch of "I'm Sorry", just a warning.... feeling.
                            Maybe it's due to the 'Beware" we shippers piggy-back since the days of the 'shipper wars'.
                            I just want to fess up and say in simple laymans terms that I acknowledged the same feelings Mini did...does, and I appreciate her taking the bat for us who agree. I

I also agree with Uber. Just a simple 'Subject Matter' before a Fic recommendation may cure any differences as to who reads what.

Simple enough?
                            Oh well now that I've caught up I see where my post is null and void meaning.... I should have looked ahead before beginning the journey. Oma cliche maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              Just a little bump back up onto page 1

AT: *sigh* The measures we've to go to just because Chris had beans for lunch!
                              sigpic

Comment

SAM IS AWESOME!!!!

That is all. Back to work for me.

I bet some of you thought I fell off the face of the earth or something.
                                sigpic
                                I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X