X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    you know what we can do????

somewhere there has to be a nice picture of sam in her dress uni

someone can then do the research, come up with a list of the medals she SHOULD have. we can nick images of those awards off the net, manip the pic of sam to put said awards on her dress unis. then print out the picture along iwth a list of the awards and mail it to her so that she can hand it over to the costuming folks and say 'ok, they did hte research, you go shopping, this is what sam should be wearing'

cheap for us, little time consuming, easy to mail but still a way to get the message across
    Terrific game to play and still be accomplishing something! Brilliant - now, don't we have to first identify the fruit salad that's already hanging on her uniform? Can someone play with that first? Anyone home all day and not working full time? This could be fun ... you'll have to enlarge the medals and then find them and their descriptions ... yes, we must know what Sam has already "accomplished" in the military for her medals and then, LOL, we can add some more well-deserved medals and ribbons!

Whee - can you tell I just had a glass of wine after a really intense day at school?! I also tried to phone Coley long distance in her alternate universe but her cell phone was on "voicemail" - bummer!

Back to topic, great idea, Sky! Who wants to volunteer for some web research - we can break the task up into two parts: those who will enlarge and identify the medals already won and those who will then research possible additions.

Honestly, campers, if RL wasn't consuming my weekdays and evenings and weekends (commencement this weekend) ... I'd take this on myself. Come on Samandans, who will step up to the plate?!

We're doing this for Sam and for AT! She can then take the suggested medals of honor to the AF advisor, release her from the closet, and set things in motion!!

I love a good cause! Sam Power!!

The least we can do for the future Colonel Samantha Carter, Commander of the Athena. That has such a lovely ring to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      you know what we can do????

somewhere there has to be a nice picture of sam in her dress uni

someone can then do the research, come up with a list of the medals she SHOULD have. we can nick images of those awards off the net, manip the pic of sam to put said awards on her dress unis. then print out the picture along iwth a list of the awards and mail it to her so that she can hand it over to the costuming folks and say 'ok, they did hte research, you go shopping, this is what sam should be wearing'

cheap for us, little time consuming, easy to mail but still a way to get the message across
      Nice!

But didn't Ooobs do that a month or so ago? Or was that something else? The pic of Sam with Jack in Zero Hour?

(Time is all jacked up for me these days)

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
        If Sam wore all she deserved she'd look like a blinkin christmas tree.
        Now this is a really good version of: "When ya got it baby, flaunt it!"

And, Ooober, I haven't caught up with all the back pages ... if you have already researched Sam's medal descriptions, can you share again? Thanks!

Paradox Realities, I'm thinking of you too because you are in the military right? Or have military knowledge? Can you give us a list of possible new medals/commendations and post descriptions here for us to maybe vote on as to which episodes and how Carter merited certain medals? Wouldn't that be fun? Heck, if TPTB aren't doing their homework, we can do it for them in Samanda!

Okay, I'll slink into the kitchen and have din din. No more wine for the night.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Brilliant - now, don't we have to first identify the fruit salad that's already hanging on her uniform? Can someone play with that first?
          I've only been able to identify six out of nine.

(Top Row)
          - Airman's Medal
          - Meritiorious Service Medal
          - Air Force Commendation Medal

(Middle Row)
          - Don't know
          - Organizational Excellence Award
          - Don't know

(Bottom Row)
          - Don't know
          - Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
          - Air Force Training Ribbon

It seems as though Sam doesn't wear her Air Medal ribbon.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            Wikipedia has a pretty detailed list, plus pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...tates_military
            I don't always trust wikipedia --since anyone can post there you're never sure how reliable they are. Some are fairly good, others not. I'd be willing to check official AF sites for descriptions of awards.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              I don't always trust wikipedia --since anyone can post there you're never sure how reliable they are.
              I doublechecked on the USAF official website.

Comment

It sounds like fun to me. I'm in. How do I play?

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Didn't someone here once say that officers could buy their own fruit-salad of the fake variety, too and that it looked the same so a lot did it? If that's the case, can they buy their own fake CMOHs too?

On another note. Couple people PMed me about the sketch in my sig now, which is just a prelim of the one I'm working on, a very basic version of what I hope it turns out to be.

I posted it this morning, then opted against it, then deleted it - on the one hand I do want to share what I have so far, on the other, I'm kinda worried it'll end up somewhere public and being "unfinished" that would make me really squicky. BUT this is Samanda and I tend to think no one would remove it without askin' me anyway, so I'm going to post it again.

The backstory is, I scrapped the last sketch I was working on because I?* hated it.?* ?* I started a new one last week that's more "current" - looks?* more like Sam did in season nine (VERY VERY ROUGH right now - just basic lines?* and features).?*

But now I'm at a point where I'm starting to whinge over it,?* too. Muse issues I guess.?* *sigh*?*I'll share some of what I have so far.?*?* Despite my waning muse I do intend to finish this one.?* A bunch of half-finished pieces aren't doing me no good?* either!?* Hopefully I can finish this one fairly soon.

... it goes without saying PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS and post it in a different?* public place. Please, please please.?* Yikes ... I'd be mortified.

mini
                  (the lately lacking in muse)geek
                  Last edited by minigeek; 11 May 2006, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                    I doublechecked on the USAF official website.
                    Cool. Then I propose we start a list of possible medals and what they're for and figure out which ones Sam should have gotten. I think she'll have a lot more than are shown on the show and without us stretching things just 'cause we like her.

Quoting myself here ; I'd think some of these below sound likely for Sam...
                    Back on the medals thing. Here is what real life astronaut Air Force Colonel Eileen Collins earned:
                    SPECIAL HONORS: Defense Superior Service Medal, Distinguished Flying Cross, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster, Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for service in Grenada (Operation Urgent Fury, October 1983), French Legion of Honor, NASA Outstanding Leadership Medal, NASA Space Flight Medals.

(source:NASA (http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/collins.html)

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek

... it goes without saying PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS and post it in a different?* public place. Please, please please.?* Yikes ... I'd be mortified.

mini

I love the drawing. I'd never think of copying to another site, but then I wouldn't have a clue how, so your safe from me LOL

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        I'd think some of these below sound likely for Sam...
                        - "The Defense Superior Service Medal of the United States is a senior decoration of the Department of Defense. It is awarded to members of the United States military who perform "superior meritorious service in a position of significant responsibility"."

- "The Distinguished Flying Cross is a medal awarded to any officer or enlisted member of the United States armed forces who distinguishes himself or herself in combat in support of operations by "heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in an aerial flight, subsequent to November 11, 1918." The decoration may also be given for an act performed prior to that date when the individual has been recommended for, but has not received the Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, or Distinguished Service Medal."

- "The Defense Meritorious Service Medal is the third highest award bestowed upon members of the United States military by the United States Department of Defense. The medal is awarded in the name of the Secretary of Defense to members of the Armed Forces who, while serving in a joint activity, distinguish themselves by non-combat outstanding achievement or meritorious service, but not of a degree to warrant award of the Defense Superior Service Medal."

Sam already has a Meritorious Service Medal and a Commendation Medal.

(The details of the awards are from wikipedia, so they may not be 100% accurate. The ribbons themselves are crosschecked with the USAF's official website)
                        Last edited by ReganX; 11 May 2006, 02:43 PM.

Comment

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9705/prelim25mi.jpg
                          All I know is, this stuff is great! I love it. Do you - or would you be willing to - do the other characters, too? Because the comic book style is awesome.

Comment

Didn't someone here once say that officers could buy their own fruit-salad of the fake variety, too and that it looked the same so a lot did it? If that's the case, can they buy their own fake CMOHs too?

On another note. Couple people PMed me about the sketch in my sig now, which is just a prelim of the one I'm working on, a very basic version of what I hope it turns out to be.

I posted it this morning, then opted against it, then deleted it - on the one hand I do want to share what I have so far, on the other, I'm kinda worried it'll end up somewhere public and being "unfinished" that would make me really squicky. BUT this is Samanda and I tend to think no one would remove it without askin' me anyway, so I'm going to post it again.

The backstory is, I scrapped the last sketch I was working on because I?* hated it.?* ?* I started a new one last week that's more "current" - looks?* more like Sam did in season nine (VERY VERY ROUGH right now - just basic lines?* and features).?*

But now I'm at a point where I'm starting to whinge over it,?* too. Muse issues I guess.?* *sigh*?*I'll share some of what I have so far.?*?* Despite my waning muse I do intend to finish this one.?* A bunch of half-finished pieces aren't doing me no good?* either!?* Hopefully I can finish this one fairly soon.

mini

So that's what happened, I went to quote you and your pic and it disappeared on me, thought I may have been dipping into ChopinGal's wine
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              All I know is, this stuff is great! I love it. Do you - or would you be willing to - do the other characters, too? Because the comic book style is awesome.
                              I dunno, I haven't really. When it comes to personal sketches I've done, because I only do them for myself, I tend to only draw the stuff I'm passionate about or something that inspires me. I'll think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

Yep, as I said before - they're going for The Stargate Waltons: Ben Bob, Vala Bob, Evil Ori Baby Bob, Landry Bob and the heralded return of Jack Bob while T-Bob, Danny Bob and Sammy Bob are out in the woodshed rummaging through shredded pages of scripts which held their chopped-out lines - just not much room in the old homestead anymore.

LOL!

sally (still laughing)
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X