Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--

You know, to heck with another spinoff; it would be so cool to write a fic series where Sam is in charge of her own ship. Like a Virtual Series, or something...

Sel.

sounds like a plan. are you gonna write it *ducks*

actually, you know, i think there's a lot of 'au-ing' going on. cause i've given serious thought to having at least another fic set in my au. I think, given the direction of the show, there will be more than one person to create thier own little world to 'get away' from the unsatisfactory aspects of the canon one
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      haha, while watching my Season 6 boxset, I decided to watch the season 7 lowdown again - Amanda is such a rofl'er

She has her hand up her shirt (for reasons unkown... o.O) and says in this very funny Indian accent "I play in the shadow of the Valley of Death", then looks at the camera and goes "I get to play with myself, its great"

For all of you going to the Shore Leave convention - you have to get Amanda to do a Ralph Wiggum voice (seeing as its her favourite Simpsons character) and record it

I didn't know Ralph was her favorite character--not surprising though!!

I know this is old news already, but it was really good to read the Multichannel News article posted several days ago. It seems that AT is enjoying season 10, as she said, immensely, and I was really glad to hear that. I loved the bit about her and Claudia. I also thought it was interesting to hear her say that season 9 was numbing---not surprising--I'm impressed she even made it through season 9! My guess is that AT is much more relaxed, much less tired, much more present, and much more secure in season 10 (secure in knowing that she plays a big part of Stargate franchise's success, and more secure in being a new mom!). As a result, I have a feeling that all this will come across on the screen in season 10. I think Sam came across as very competent in season 9, but I think she'll be fabulous in season 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        Originally posted by seldear

You know, to heck with another spinoff; it would be so cool to write a fic series where Sam is in charge of her own ship. Like a Virtual Series, or something...

Sel.
        sounds like a plan. are you gonna write it *ducks*
        Hah. No. Gosh, no. I'm out of SG-1 these days - haven't been regularly watching since way back at S7: Heroes. Writing a VS now would mean catching up on all the tech and characterisation and weird plotness that the writers have been doing in the last two years. I don't have the energy. And the last time I suggested a plot arc was for the VS9 over a year ago.

I'd consider it if I had a co-writer who's been following the show, though. *smirks at D*

But a spinoff with Sam ranging through the galaxy would be coolness itself.

I think, however, I may write a Sam-in-Atlantis fic sometime soon.

Sel.

Comment

I'd consider it if I had a co-writer who's been following the show, though. *smirks at D*

Sel.
          aahah,

(for those that don't know, sel and i know each other in real life...so i can annoy her here and in other places. although i do need to be nice to her for a bit, she's betaing two really long fic of mine *bats eyes adoringly* )

sigpic

Comment

And a quick reminder. Vote for your fav sam eps of s6 please. I Know we lost voting - and harrassing - time yesterday, but you only have until sunday to get your vote in.

and this lookes to be a close one too

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              aahah,

(for those that don't know, sel and i know each other in real life...so i can annoy her here and in other places. although i do need to be nice to her for a bit, she's betaing two really long fic of mine *bats eyes adoringly* )
              Heh.

*holds the fics hostage*

Hey, I need some leverage around here since you're the mod!

*snicker* You know, I just imagined Felger working on The Athena as one of the techs, and Sam almost wishing she had McKay instead...

*drives the topic OT again*

Sel.

Comment

that'd be funny...but knowing sam, she'd just pull a few strings and get chloe on the ship too

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                  haha, while watching my Season 6 boxset, I decided to watch the season 7 lowdown again - Amanda is such a rofl'er

She has her hand up her shirt (for reasons unkown... o.O) and says in this very funny Indian accent "I play in the shadow of the Valley of Death", then looks at the camera and goes "I get to play with myself, its great"

For all of you going to the Shore Leave convention - you have to get Amanda to do a Ralph Wiggum voice (seeing as its her favourite Simpsons character) and record it
                  She was fixing her mic AD, but must have enjoyed having the camera on her when she was doing it
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Back on the medals thing. Here is what real life astronaut Air Force Colonel Eileen Collins earned:
                    SPECIAL HONORS: Defense Superior Service Medal, Distinguished Flying Cross, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster, Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for service in Grenada (Operation Urgent Fury, October 1983), French Legion of Honor, NASA Outstanding Leadership Medal, NASA Space Flight Medals.

(source:NASA (http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/collins.html)

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      I agree with ya jckfan.

*salutes*

Sam had already seen what the end result of Nirti's device was...twice. Plus she felt it. She knew something was wrong. Her body was starting to literally deconstruct and she knew there was no way to stop it from happening.

And had Jack not been able to get through to TweedleDee and TweedleDum, we would have been left with a big splashy puddle where a brilliant astrophysicist/kickbutt soldier once lay.

It's important to note that Sam is one of the few that almost always gives up last. She continues fighting no matter the odds. In Last Stand, she kept moving forward...kept pulling the boulders away because that's what she does. She keeps fighting until she can't fight anymore.

So the fact that she acknowledged her fate in Metamorphosis...in essence, gave up hope that she'd make it out of that situation...is very telling as to how bad her condition really was.
                      One LAST?!??

We've barely touched some of the other seasons. Snark away, my friends...SNARK AWAY!

One of my favorite Snark Titles was for Metamorphosis.

Metamorphosis...or...Clean Up on Aisle Six.

Exactly. No histrionics necessary for us to feel a figurative punch in the gut when she told O'Neill she wasn't ok. She *never* admits to not being ok or gives up. Again, this is where having a history with a character (and a great character, no less) means that very subtle things can get the point across very dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                        I love how competent and smart Carter is -- but I also love these attributes of her character -- that she'd say it that way too "I couldn't weave if my life depended on it" (and I think she listed another thing or two in there as well...?)

I also remember when they were on that planet with Kynthia, and that woman was going to have a baby, and the guys of SG-1 looked at her because she was a woman -- I just LOL at her response and reaction to that! Something along the lines of 'Don't look at me!' (I don't know nuthin' about burthin' no babies!) Then Daniel stepped in and took care of the midwifing while Carter got to play the competent soldier. Loved that scene
                        Yes. As hokey as some of that episode was, here was a sign early on that they weren't going for the stereotypes with Sam.

Comment

You know how I have this thing about Sam's absence at the beginning of S9 should have been due to heroic wounds? In reviewing season 6, in Memento I was half expecting her to take a bullet for the alien leader (Robert Foxworth). Picture an alternative version of the ending: they're so impressed that this alien woman (Sam) would protect one of their own that they're ashamed of themselves and resolve the situation peacefully.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            You know how I have this thing about Sam's absence at the beginning of S9 should have been due to heroic wounds? In reviewing season 6, in Memento I was half expecting her to take a bullet for the alien leader (Robert Foxworth). Picture an alternative version of the ending: they're so impressed that this alien woman (Sam) would protect one of their own that they're ashamed of themselves and resolve the situation peacefully.

God, that would have been so much better! They could have easily had AT pre-record some scenes in the infirmary before she went on maternity leave. I would have been so much happier with this scenario.

Comment

Landry regarded her with a smile playing about his lips. "The President thought you might like a chance to command the new hybrid ship being developed with the Asgard's assistance."

Sam blinked. They were going to give her command of her own ship? "Uh, sir?"

"Would you take it if it was offered?"

They were asking if she wanted command of her own spaceship? "I... Yes, sir. I'd take the chance to command the new ship."

She glanced at Cam, who didn't look at all pissed off over her possible transfer. In fact, he looked quite amused at the prospect. And it had been tricky dealing with two people at 'command level' on SG-1, even if Sam had been busy with other projects along the way.

Daniel rustled some papers about on the table with a sly grin. "The new Asgard was quite impressed with your...uh...'stupidity' when dealing with previous Asgard problems," he said, "as well as the fact that the replicator version of you nearly managed to take over the galaxy." Sam eyed him, knowing there was a punchline coming and waiting for it. "He thinks - and Thor concurs - that this ship should be called 'The Samantha Carter'."

Oh, no. "Daniel..."

"I think it's got a certain...cadence to it," said Cameron. Sam fixed him with a 'you've got to be kidding me' look. "Well, General O'Neill had one named for him, and so did Daniel."

"Then they can call it after Teal'c," she said, only too aware that her cheeks were red. "If I'm going to command it then it's not going to be named after me." Not that she was insensible to the compliment being paid her by both the Asgard and the President, but Sam was no McKay - there were definite limits to her immodesty.

That smile was still playing about Landry's mouth. "I think that, as the first captain of the ship, you can probably name it what you like - as long as it passes muster with the President and the Asgard."

"Fine," she said. "We can call it...The Athena. Or maybe The Phoenix."

"The Enterprise?" Cam suggested, looking hopeful.

What was with these men and Star Trek?

"No," Sam said firmly. "Besides," she pointed out. "I wouldn't be boldly going where no man has gone before." Although it would be a first to have a major class spacefaring vessel commanded by a woman. There'd been female astronauts, and female officers on all the Earth spaceships, starting with the Prometheus back when Colonel Ronson first commanded it.

Landry coughed. "You can discuss name possibilities later. Right now, the President just wished to let you know that the ship is yours to command if you want it." The General snorted, amused. "He said it's the ship or his firstborn son."

Daniel smirked. "You might want to take the ship, Sam."

--

Sel.
                              Wonderful post, Seldear! Love the bit about the firstborn, too
                              Spoiler:
                              Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Isn't it a hoot how TPTB keep bringing up their rising budget lines what with hiring all these so-called front runners?

Yep, as I said before - they're going for The Stargate Waltons: Ben Bob, Vala Bob, Evil Ori Baby Bob, Landry Bob and the heralded return of Jack Bob while T-Bob, Danny Bob and Sammy Bob are out in the woodshed rummaging through shredded pages of scripts which held their chopped-out lines - just not much room in the old homestead anymore.
                              ROTFLOL! Stargate Waltons!
                              Originally posted by chocdoc
                              I know this is old news already, but it was really good to read the Multichannel News article posted several days ago. It seems that AT is enjoying season 10, as she said, immensely, and I was really glad to hear that. I loved the bit about her and Claudia. I also thought it was interesting to hear her say that season 9 was numbing---not surprising--I'm impressed she even made it through season 9! My guess is that AT is much more relaxed, much less tired, much more present, and much more secure in season 10 (secure in knowing that she plays a big part of Stargate franchise's success, and more secure in being a new mom!). As a result, I have a feeling that all this will come across on the screen in season 10. I think Sam came across as very competent in season 9, but I think she'll be fabulous in season 10.
                              Originally posted by jckfan55
                              I'm with you, jckfan!

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                                God, that would have been so much better! They could have easily had AT pre-record some scenes in the infirmary before she went on maternity leave. I would have been so much happier with this scenario.
                                it would have certainly been more beleivable than a 'oh, she's gone'

you know, i'd swear that no one made a decision about where sam was, so when the boys were writing the eps, rather than contradicting anyone, they just kept it vague and that vagarity led to a 'oh, is she gone?????' attitude.

and i compare that non-caring to the over the top caring that we got when daniel was gone (he was mentioned in over half the s6 eps in some way shape or form) and just shake my head.
                                these folks keep talking about how saavy fans are...well if they know how come they don't do something to close up those plot holes? if they know we're gonna notice stuff, why do they keep on with 'eh, they'll never notice' and never say 'well, let's plug that plot hole huh???'

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X