Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    A 2 or 3 parter would be great. However, they could also do this without showing most of it; that is, show Daniel trying to figure out where Sam went. Her 'cover' story doesn't hold up because he wants to ask her something about something they found at a new site... he can't get through to her - and he's persistent and gets frustrated... shows some of the newer, more aggressive and tougher Daniel that we've seen in the last few seasons. He calls Jack to see what he can find out... Jack is evasive. It turns out that much of the mission plan was Jack's planning - but he didn't think it would ever actually be acted on - it was just one of countless strategic brainstorming sessions that he attended. Now, he's having a tough time dealing with the fact that he basically created a plan that only one person could lead and execute successfully - Carter. He knows her military field skills and talents and he unconsciously created this without realizing that he was tailoring it to her talents. Ultimately, the plan was enacted when he was off at a conference with the Asgard (Jack wasn't physically on Earth - maybe he's an Ambassador by then). Jack knows that the rest of the Joint Chiefs and the NID deliberately waited until he wasn't around to set the plan into motion. So he's pissed that they went around him -that they used him (here he shares the same frustration as Carter) - and he feels responsible for what Carter was sent off to do.

We would see these discussions and vented frustrations and revelations. We would hear of each successful op after it happened and the news trickled back to Earth and the SGC.

And the Carter and her team would return. Beaten up and whumped - but they would return against all odds. A crippling blow is dealt to the evil supervillains.

We would hear anecdotes - and see flashback scenes - of the Carter's team's exploits in the field. We'd see the dedication and fierce loyalty that she earned from the surviving members of her team.

Over ensuing episodes (dealing with other topics), we would occassionally get references to more of the daring exploits and heroism of Carter and her team from their dangerous mission.

Such a rendering would yield depth, strength, heroism and mystery to Carter's character. It would be a deep, rich source of backstory that could be developed with wonderful one or two line comments in other episodes. Tantalizing and teasing and, ultimately, enriching if done correctly.
    One thing I love about this storyline is that even though a lot of it would be about Sam, there would be plenty of material for Jack and Daniel as well, and the human, emotional side of the story would carry equal, if not greater weight than the action side.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
      Anyone care to caption this one?

jack: here ya go carter, 2 coupons for an hour of jack-lovin'
      sam (thinking): great, more coupons for jack-lovin'. am i ever going to get coupons for teal'c-lovin'?

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        Jack angst, anger and frustration with the military - that he's a part of. Daniel's anger and frustration with the military and how they often deal with things. Carter's competence and intelligence. Action and valor in the field. Heroes all around - with some powerful emotional scenes for the guys while Carter is heroic and competent.
        this post, and the one with the tv pretend snippets... it almost makes me want to cry. damn barbra and her songs

your dreams are our dreams, astro. you're not only looking out for what's best for sam, you're making her the hero ON SCREEN that we're all earning for so badly now.

you rule!

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          as you know, i'm listening to barbra streisand's greatest hits (the cd is actually called 'the essential barbra streisand'). anyhoo, some of the titles of the songs fit perfectly with sam carter!

here's some (all) of them, which we could make episode names and come up with plots for said eps.

snip
          'he touched me'

snip

k, take a song and make an ep.

all i ask is we go gently (to shippers, mitchell fans, vala fans, etc), okay?

sally
          Well Sally I could come up with an episode for that one, but this is a PG thread
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
            jack: here ya go carter, 2 coupons for an hour of jack-lovin'
            sam (thinking): great, more coupons for jack-lovin'. am i ever going to get coupons for teal'c-lovin'?
            hehehe
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              Well Sally I could come up with an episode for that one, but this is a PG thread
              i had some SUPER troubles not going in that direction myself! there's some serious mitchell/command issues fodder there too.

someone's got to take a crack at it, but just choose your delivery very carefully.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                and the sad part is...as long as the public accepts it, it'll continue.

as long as there are females that think it's ok for sam to be demoted to keep cam happy or that think it's ok that, at least recently, the only reason to have a female on the show is to be a foil for the males, that think that vala is great and fantastic (as her characertizations, not necessarily her), that think it's ok to glorify a woman using sex as a weapon...it'll continue.

and for the younger fans that are distracted by fun...they don't realize the damage that is being done until they get out in the world and experience sexism for their own...and by then it's too late and another generation will experience the very same things we have

no one character will change the world...but every little bit helps to change perceptions and knowledge and works towards a change

i mean, look at it this way. let's say taht sam was a black man. and he got promoted, sent away, came back and was demoted to be under the new white character

would that be accepted????
                Sadly, in some places, it would be accepted. Hi, there. Coming out of lurkdom to say I've been engrossed in this wonderful conversation of the leadership issue in our favorite fandom, and how the key issues involved pertain to each and every one of our lives. When I got into broadcasting as a teen almost 30 years ago, a woman on the air was still an oddity aside from the Barbara Walters types. Now, female reporters, anchors and producers are common. But just this week, I saw an article about how top management positions still elude most women in the business. So much has changed; yet so much has not.

The simple fact of the matter is that on average, women still make only 75 cents for every dollar a man makes. I've been fortunate enough to hold two middle management positions, but I realize that the opportunities for me are much better in government than they were in my chosen profession.

The Sam/Cam leadership issue is a microcosm of the issues with which society deals each and every day. And it's important that the better-qualified, more skilled woman get the leadership role over the cocky guy with potential and spirit. Why? Because it sends a subliminal message to everyone watching. I don't mean to go left-wing ballistic here, but every guy who sees this play out (like the ones who wrote and produced it) is getting reinforcement of the age-old idea that this is how the world works, and it's ok to pass over extremely competent women in favor of males solely because of gender.

That being said, if the character of Sam could tell us that she passed on the leadership role, and why, maybe it would make more sense. Everyone has the right to pass on a promotion in favor of personal considerations. If Cassie, the loss of her father or a relationship with Jack have made Sam want to reprioritize her life, that's the character's choice, and TPTB could have called in a woman to write it realistically. But they didn't. They hinted at it, but they never came out and said it. Instead, they just told us that Mitchell was in charge. And once he lured Sam back onto the team, they never visited the issue again.

Cop-out. And younger Samandans should take note of this message and every other workplace leadership issue they see played out similarly. Someday, you may encounter it in your professional life, and you'll wish attitudes were different. And many factors, including television shows, mould the attitudes that society carries forward. Sam Carter is one of the strongest female characters ever on TV. That character deserves proper support, not only for her.....but for all of you.

Just MHO.....now, back to catching up on your wonderful posts!
                Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 09 May 2006, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

'memory'

sally
                  "Touch me,
                  it's so easy to leave me
                  All alone with the memory
                  Of my days in the sun"

Sorry I couldn't help but start singing, it's one of my fav Barbra songs
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

your friendly neighborhood amanda icon of the...while
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Evening all there is a new article in Multichannel News (a Variety Publication) many of you will want to read. Be warned there are a few S10 spoilers in the article.

Here are a couple of highlights

Spoiler:
                      “I have to go blow up a planet!” declares Amanda Tapping with glee as she bursts from the door of Bridge Studios/Stage Six here, where Sci Fi Channel is shooting scenes for episode 200 of Stargate SG-1.

For 10 seasons, Tapping has inhabited the role of Samantha Carter, the Air Force colonel and physicist with girl-next-door charm who delivers bewildering strings of technobabble and carries a torch for her commanding officer. (In the fannish vernacular of the Internet it's called UST, or Unresolved Sexual Tension. Think Moonlighting, Frasier or The X-Files.)

It's starting to drizzle, so Tapping commandeers a golf cart and volunteers to chauffeur fellow cast member, newbie Claudia Black (of Sci Fi's former series Farscape), who hops in to ride shotgun. The contrast is striking — the long, dark-haired Black and the blonde, blue-eyed Tapping. Someone else offers to drive but Tapping shoos them away. “I know how to operate this thing,” she says, then grins and races off.

Here is a non spoiler quote:

Tapping laughs, “We're jumping sharks all over the place today.”

She said she's enjoying season 10 immensely, after a numbing season nine — a year of returning to the set only weeks after giving birth to her daughter, feeding on demand, and oftentimes finding herself up at 4 a.m., memorizing her famously complex lines.

Tapping is savoring a spotlight that rarely shines on the long-running series. The relative obscurity seems a little unfair: Stargate SG-1 has sold more than 30 million individual DVDs units worldwide and is said by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. to be second in its stable only to the James Bond theatrical-film series. (MGM declines to disclose the Bond sales figures.)

For Sally

Spoiler:
                      The 200th, a collaborative effort penned by the team of all seven writers, is an homage to fans of every stripe. If they've ever wished upon a Stargate, it's likely covered in this script — a two-hanky ceremony brings Walter, the Gate Guy (the minor but beloved character who operates the stargate), to tears, and forbidden romances finally bloom.

There is also theatrical movie news in the article so if you want to read it all here is the link
                      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                        For Sally

Spoiler:
                        The 200th, a collaborative effort penned by the team of all seven writers, is an homage to fans of every stripe. If they've ever wished upon a Stargate, it's likely covered in this script — a two-hanky ceremony brings Walter, the Gate Guy (the minor but beloved character who operates the stargate), to tears, and forbidden romances finally bloom.

But here's my issue with it:

Spoiler:
                        More than likely, this is a non-episode. And by that I mean, it's not in the line of plot points - it doesn't carry any meaning other than it's a milestone episode. This "forbidden romance" will only hold true if something is addressed in another episode - an episode that weaves the other characters and plot and Ori. Then it wouldn't seem like it's a throw away like they made the 100th episode.
                        sigpic

Comment

Tapping laughs, “We're jumping sharks all over the place today.”

She said she's enjoying season 10 immensely, after a numbing season nine — a year of returning to the set only weeks after giving birth to her daughter, feeding on demand, and oftentimes finding herself up at 4 a.m., memorizing her famously complex lines.

Tapping is savoring a spotlight that rarely shines on the long-running series. The relative obscurity seems a little unfair: Stargate SG-1 has sold more than 30 million individual DVDs units worldwide and is said by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. to be second in its stable only to the James Bond theatrical-film series. (MGM declines to disclose the Bond sales figures.)
                          darn, i thought she was going to say the spotlight that rarely shines on HER! ah well. great article though! great stuff. lords knows i'm glad she's enjoying it. and, she has a habit of carrying hard work gracefully. yay AT
                          sigpic
                          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Spoiler:
                            It's starting to drizzle, so Tapping commandeers a golf cart and volunteers to chauffeur fellow cast member, newbie Claudia Black (of Sci Fi's former series Farscape), who hops in to ride shotgun. The contrast is striking — the long, dark-haired Black and the blonde, blue-eyed Tapping. Someone else offers to drive but Tapping shoos them away. “I know how to operate this thing,” she says, then grins and races off.
                            Whooo!

And obviously the
                            Spoiler:
                            forbidden romance is Sam/Vala. They did say fans of every stripe

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              Whooo!

And obviously the
                              Spoiler:
                              forbidden romance is Sam/Vala. They did say fans of every stripe
                              well duh!

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
                                Anyone care to caption this one?

Sam: What's this?

Jack: My list. I believe it was you who said that the loser would be the winner's slave for one entire day, Carter. That means you belong to me for 24 hours.

Sam: So you made a list?

Jack: Of course I did, I didn't want to forget anything important.

Sam read the list.

Sam: Oh please. There is NO way I'm going to do #4 OR #7 *hands list back to Jack* and if you think I would seriously dress up like Dorothy and sing 'Somewhere over the Rainbow' you're crazy than I thought...sir.

Sam turns and leaves.

Jack: *grins at Teal'c* That's my personal favorite.

Comment

Working...
                                X