Suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
        Anyone care to caption this one?

Jack: See Carter, it's not that hard
        Sam: So this is...uh..your analysis on the naquada reactor?
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          Originally Posted by Carson's girl
          Originally Posted by astrogeologist
          What are your favorite Carter images or character aspects?
          I would say my favorite aspect of Sam's character is that she is tough when she needs to be, but still thinks about the ethical side of things and what is morally right, like in Entity or Urgo. I love that she is like that
          Originally Posted by majorsal
          everytime i think about what we're missing (sam, daniel, and teal'c as sg1), i keep seeing this imagine... i really don't know where it came from. prob when i was thinking about what kind of stories they might do. anyhoo...

i see sam, daniel, and teal'c on a planet. i have no idea what the plot is really about, other than they're behind enemy lines and in trouble. sam's leading (), but she's worried and frightened about how they're going to get out of this. they're really in trouble.
          And then Carter deals with it all competently and smartly.
          Showing and demonstrating her intelligence and her experience.

One of the things that I truly admire about Carter (and the way that she's been portrayed by AT) is that Carter is fairly impeccable in her military bearing and responses and she respects the military chain of command and her oath of office and duty -- but she still shows her heart. She will still allow her mind to listen to her heart. Hopefully, she'll ultimately make the right decisions... sometimes, her heart will lead her into dangerous areas... (e.g., Gemini and Entity) but she'll never be a heartless automoton, she'll never be an unfeeling tool for those in the ranks above her.
          One of the richest aspects of Carter's character is that she is betwixt and between the characteristics of Jack and Daniel - who are polarized on some levels. In other words, O'Neill often takes the more militaristic 'Better Safe Than Sorry' hard-line attitude, whereas Daniel takes the more trusting, warm-and-fuzzy and hopeful approach... the 'take a risk and trust' approach.

Carter's a bit of both. She complies with (and often agrees with) the safer, yet harsher, military approach - even if it can be a bit cold and harsh. Othertimes, she responds more with her human heart -- and her scientific side which knows that exploration comes with risk - with laying it out there in the hopes that something positive will be discovered.

All of this makes Carter a rich and complex character - with lots of cool story-fodder for the writers and great depth for AT to be able to play.

What I'd like to see for an episode spoiler? Something along these lines:

TV Guide Spoiler: Earth's military exploits both Carter's brilliant mind and military field experience in a dangerous and risky operation against Earth's powerful new enemies.

More in-depth spoilers on the same episode (posted somewhere like GW): The Joint Chiefs and the NID team together to send Carter on a daring mission against the Ori. Carter initially leads a small, specialized field team on an extrememly risky and dangerous covert mission that has the potential to deal a crippling blow to the Ori.

The initial mission specs will require that Carter and her team will be on their own and 'Gate hopping from objective to objective. Carter's leadership and in-the-field command skills will be spotlighted.

As their mission progresses, her small band of operatives become dedicated to her and trust her leadership without question.

Along the way, Carter shows that she's picked up some 'Black Ops field skills' from O'Neill. She also credits him with many of the other field and command skills that she demonstrates as their risky mission progresses.

Carter's whumped, but valiantly struggles past it all. Her team rallies around her and she continues to lead them with strength and competence. Gutting it out and making the right decisions under extreme pressure.

When it's all over, (and their mission was amazingly successful against high odds) Carter has to deal with feelings of responsibility for the two team members that she lost along the way - but no one was ever left behind for the enemy (they bring the bodies back, or zat them into nothingness if they can't bring them home for burial).

Carter also has to deal with the fact that she was used - and sacrificed - quite calculatingly by those above her. Daniel gets her into a deep discussion of 'why she's in the military' - he takes the side against of course. Carter, like many officers and soldiers before her, has to deal with the fact that her talents and capabilities are tools for the military's bidding - and she has given them the right and authority to do as they see fit with them. She knows this - but it's still human to wrestle with this issue.
          Last edited by astrogeologist; 07 May 2006, 04:09 PM.

Comment

jack: 'take it, carter.'

sam: 'what is it, sir?'

jack: 'just some doodles i think you'd rather have kept to yourself... '

*sam looks at papers. and groans. and blushes*

daniel: 'what's it say?'

jack: 'i think carter just wanted to see how many variations on sam o'neill she could come up with.'

*sam moans then mumbles* 'i'm never going to let this down, am i?'

jack: 'not a chance in hell.'

sam whispers: 'beam me up, scotty'

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Jack: Aah! No more technobabble allowed, Carter. It's bad for my health - see.

Sam: Uhh...sir, Janet doesn't write medical certificates on scraps of newspaper.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

*doing this backward*

Sam: Sir, here are the configurations for your naquada enhanced Playstation.

Comment

One of the richest aspects of Carter's character is that she is betwixt and between the characteristics of Jack and Daniel - who are polarized on some levels. In other words, O'Neill often takes the more militaristic 'Better Safe Than Sorry' hard-line attitude, whereas Daniel takes the more trusting, warm-and-fuzzy and hopeful approach... the 'take a risk and trust' approach.

Carter's a bit of both. She complies with (and often agrees with) the safer, yet harsher, military approach - even if it can be a bit cold and harsh. Othertimes, she responds more with her human heart -- and her scientific side which knows that exploration comes with risk - with laying it out there in the hopes that something positive will be discovered.

All of this makes Carter a rich and complex character - with lots of cool story-fodder for the writers and great depth for AT to be able to play.

TV Guide Spoiler: Earth's military exploits both Carter's brilliant mind and military field experience in a dangerous and risky operation against Earth's powerful new enemies.

More in-depth spoilers on the same episode (posted somewhere like GW): The Joint Chiefs and the NID team together to send Carter on a daring mission against the Ori. Carter initially leads a small, specialized field team on an extrememly risky and dangerous covert mission that has the potential to deal a crippling blow to the Ori.

The initial mission specs will require that Carter and her team will be on their own and 'Gate hopping from objective to objective. Carter's leadership and in-the-field command skills will be spotlighted.

As their mission progresses, her small band of operatives become dedicated to her and trust her leadership without question.

Along the way, Carter shows that she's picked up some 'Black Ops field skills' from O'Neill. She also credits him with many of the other field and command skills that she demonstrates as their risky mission progresses.

Carter's whumped, but valiantly struggles past it all. Her team rallies around her and she continues to lead them with strength and competence. Gutting it out and making the right decisions under extreme pressure.

When it's all over, (and their mission was amazingly successful against high odds) Carter has to deal with feelings of responsibility for the two team members that she lost along the way - but no one was ever left behind for the enemy (they bring the bodies back, or zat them into nothingness if they can't bring them home for burial).

Carter also has to deal with the fact that she was used - and sacrificed - quite calculatingly by those above her. Daniel gets her into a deep discussion of 'why she's in the military' - he takes the side against of course. Carter, like many officers and soldiers before her, has to deal with the fact that her talents and capabilities are tools for the military's bidding - and she has given them the right and authority to do as they see fit with them. She knows this - but it's still human to wrestle with this issue.
                  Will be waiting to hopefully read this in your next fic
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                    Someone posted upthread a request that we share traits or pics of Sam that we like. As I have very few pics on my computer, I shall have go with words to describe her:
                    • Sam has true courage. Not the "I'm not afraid of anything, so I'll just go about doing all sorts of dangerous things because that's what I do!" kind of nonsense that often masquerades as courage on TV. Sam is afraid of things, she knows that her life is oft at stake, and really worries about that. Moreover, she knows the lives of people she loves are at stake, and fears for them. Buit she perseveres despite her fears-because that's what a real hero does.
                    • Sam is tough, she weathers injuries and pain to do what she needs to do. Given the state of my own health right now, I find that a fantastic role model.
                    • Sam is a fantastic role model. She has integrity and honor; she's one who often puts others before herself, and she has compassion and concern for everyone.
                    • Sam is very professional, and takes her job very seriously.
                    • Despite that she has a great sense of humor.
                    • Sam has a kick-butt smile.
                    • She's the consummate military officer.
                    • Despite that she has not lost any of her feminine qualities. It would be so easy for her to be 'manly' or a 'witch with a b'. But she isn't.
                    • Sam is brilliant. Her problem solving skills are so quick. And they encompass such a huge sphere. She's not just brilliant in a narrow astrophysics field, but her mind works just as quickly when she's out of her natural element as when she's in.
                    • Sam knows when to let down the military defenses and let someone in. As much as she may believe it's 'not the military way', she can relax her guard enough to be there when Cassie needs her.
                    • She's a true friend.
                    • She leads by inspiration and example. Not by the insignia on her uniform.
                    • She's earned the trust of her team, especially Jack O'Neill who isn't predisposed to trust anyone, least of all a scientist.
                    • She doesn't trade on her gender to get what she needs, and she never stoops to sexual innuendo and blatany vampisness to get her way, or to be considered bright, interesting, or funny.
                    • She's multi-faceted; she doesn't fit into one little pigeon hole.
                    • Wormholes, motorycycle riding, and lockpicking. Oh my!
                    Absolutely wonderful list, Deejay!!!

Here's some blue jello

unfortunately...Sam asked Vala to help her with using Goa'uld tech... and she was experimenting with a Goa'uld hand device... and using the blue jello for target practice...

Comment

I'd love to see that episode, though it would probably have to be a two or three parter to do justice to the story. The discussion with Daniel at the end would be especially interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        Originally posted by jckfan55
                        doing our own "spoilers" of what we'd like to see Sam doing in Season 10? they could be based in the "reality" of season 9 or not.

Example: Sam and Teal'c are trapped on a planet and must defend themselves against....

i don't know if it's safe to ask me this question.

i want to see:

*action sam. i want to see her being a part of the action. the *real action*.

*science sam. i love watching her using her brain and figuring things out. i LOVED how sam macgyvered her way out of her horrible predicament in 'prometheus'.

*soldier sam. firing her gun (the 'carter special') at the baddies. i want to see her in hand-to-hand combat.

*relationship sam. but only with jack!!!!!! *takes deep breaths* *gets dizzy*

*friend sam, with daniel, teal'c, and even mitchell and vala. i also want to see her develope some kind of relationship with landry.

*mother sam. i want to see how cassie's doing. or one of her own.

*leader sam. i won't say more, hence a blood vessel might pop.

*human sam. meaning, i like seeing her just be a person that can make mistakes and has bad moods and such.

*but i especially want to see sam progress. season 9 was a hover over still waters; let's see where she's going and what's going on in her head (and life).

sally
                        Woot! Fantastic ideas, Sally!

Comment

as you know, i'm listening to barbra streisand's greatest hits (the cd is actually called 'the essential barbra streisand'). anyhoo, some of the titles of the songs fit perfectly with sam carter!

here's some (all) of them, which we could make episode names and come up with plots for said eps.

i'm listing them all, grab what strikes you as ep fodder.

'a sleepin' bee'
                          'cry me a river'
                          'i stayed too long at the fair'
                          'lover come back to me'
                          'people'
                          'my man'
                          'second hand rose'
                          'he touched me'
                          'don't rain on my parade'
                          'happy days are here again'
                          'on a clear day'
                          'stoney end'
                          'since i fell for you'
                          'what are you doing the rest of your life?'
                          'the way we were'
                          'all in love is fair'
                          'lazy afternoon'
                          'evergreen'
                          'my hearts belongs to me'
                          'you don't bring me flowers'
                          'the main event/fight'
                          'no more tears'

cd 2

'woman in love'
                          'guilty'
                          'coming' in and out of your life'
                          'memory'
                          'papa, can you hear me?'
                          'a piece of sky'
                          'putting it together'
                          'not while i'm around'
                          'send in the clowns'
                          'somewhere'
                          'all i ask of you'
                          'children will listen'
                          'as if we never said goodbye'
                          'i finally found someone'
                          'tell him'
                          'i've dreamed of you'
                          'someday my prince will come'
                          'you'll never walk alone'

k, take a song and make an ep.

all i ask is we go gently (to shippers, mitchell fans, vala fans, etc), okay?

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

i LOVE it, astro!!

this is *exactly* how i see sam handing an ordeal like this.

oh, why can't you be a writer for the show!?!

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              as you know, i'm listening to barbra streisand's greatest hits (the cd is actually called 'the essential barbra streisand'). anyhoo, some of the titles of the songs fit perfectly with sam carter!

here's some (all) of them, which we could make episode names and come up with plots for said eps.

i'm listing them all, grab what strikes you as ep fodder.

'a sleepin' bee'
                              'cry me a river'
                              'i stayed too long at the fair'
                              'lover come back to me'
                              'people'
                              'my man'
                              'second hand rose'
                              'he touched me'
                              'don't rain on my parade'
                              'happy days are here again'
                              'on a clear day'
                              'stoney end'
                              'since i fell for you'
                              'what are you doing the rest of your life?'
                              'the way we were'
                              'all in love is fair'
                              'lazy afternoon'
                              'evergreen'
                              'my hearts belongs to me'
                              'you don't bring me flowers'
                              'the main event/fight'
                              'no more tears'

cd 2

'woman in love'
                              'guilty'
                              'coming' in and out of your life'
                              'memory'
                              'papa, can you hear me?'
                              'a piece of sky'
                              'putting it together'
                              'not while i'm around'
                              'send in the clowns'
                              'somewhere'
                              'all i ask of you'
                              'children will listen'
                              'as if we never said goodbye'
                              'i finally found someone'
                              'tell him'
                              'i've dreamed of you'
                              'someday my prince will come'
                              'you'll never walk alone'

k, take a song and make an ep.

all i ask is we go gently (to shippers, mitchell fans, vala fans, etc), okay?

sally
                              This could be tough.

'happy days are here again' - The episode Jack returns in.

'the way we were' - The clipshow episode. Highlighting how far Sam, Daniel and Teal'c (and Jack if he is around) have come since they started as a team. The three (or four, if Jack is around) of them together, chatting about old times. Or "borrow" a storyline and have some villain lay paws on a time travel device, Ancient or otherwise, and tries to prevent their defeat by taking SG-1 out on one of their earliest missions, so that they have to save themselves without letting their past selves know about it.

'papa, can you hear me?' - Can Jacob be Ascended? Or else maybe it could be an anniversity of his death.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                                Originally Posted by astrogeologist

I'd love to see that episode, though it would probably have to be a two or three parter to do justice to the story. The discussion with Daniel at the end would be especially interesting.
                                A 2 or 3 parter would be great. However, they could also do this without showing most of it; that is, show Daniel trying to figure out where Sam went. Her 'cover' story doesn't hold up because he wants to ask her something about something they found at a new site... he can't get through to her - and he's persistent and gets frustrated... shows some of the newer, more aggressive and tougher Daniel that we've seen in the last few seasons. He calls Jack to see what he can find out... Jack is evasive. It turns out that much of the mission plan was Jack's planning - but he didn't think it would ever actually be acted on - it was just one of countless strategic brainstorming sessions that he attended. Now, he's having a tough time dealing with the fact that he basically created a plan that only one person could lead and execute successfully - Carter. He knows her military field skills and talents and he unconsciously created this without realizing that he was tailoring it to her talents. Ultimately, the plan was enacted when he was off at a conference with the Asgard (Jack wasn't physically on Earth - maybe he's an Ambassador by then). Jack knows that the rest of the Joint Chiefs and the NID deliberately waited until he wasn't around to set the plan into motion. So he's pissed that they went around him -that they used him (here he shares the same frustration as Carter) - and he feels responsible for what Carter was sent off to do.

We would see these discussions and vented frustrations and revelations interspersed with what we would hear of each successful stage of Carter's op after it happens and the news trickles back to Earth and the SGC.

And then Carter and her team would return. Beaten up and whumped - but they would return against all odds. A crippling blow is dealt to the evil supervillains.

We would hear anecdotes - and see flashback scenes - of Carter's team's exploits in the field. We'd see the dedication and fierce loyalty that she earned from the surviving members of her team.

Over ensuing episodes (dealing with other topics), we would occassionally get references to more of the daring exploits and heroism of Carter and her team from their dangerous mission.

Such a rendering would yield depth, strength, heroism and mystery to Carter's character. It would be a deep, rich source of backstory that could be developed with wonderful one or two line comments in other episodes. Tantalizing and teasing and, ultimately, enriching if done correctly.

Jack angst, anger and frustration with the military - that he's a part of. Daniel's anger and frustration with the military and how they often deal with things. Carter's competence and intelligence. Action and valor in the field. Heroes all around - with some powerful emotional scenes for the guys while Carter is heroic and competent.
                                Last edited by astrogeologist; 07 May 2006, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X