X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scifi_girl
    awwwwww, why not?????

i think she should. ah well a girl can dream cant she

but i guess your right seeing as he is the hewo. im suprised, seeing that we didnt have him around, that the goauld didnt manage to take over the world
    One look at Mitchell and they'd have had to abandon the idea of using humans as hosts and then destroy Earth on principle.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
      One look at Mitchell and they'd have had to abandon the idea of using humans as hosts and then destroy Earth on principle.
      roflmao

first part would have been good-getting them to abandon idea of using human hosts, then he would be useful for something

sig by starlover1990

Comment

roflmao

first part would have been good-getting them to abandon idea of using human hosts, then he would be useful for something
        A refreshing change, to say the least.

Comment

A refreshing change, to say the least.
          yeah it would have been. but the goauld are gone, and with him the way he is .

thank goodness we have sam to see us through. well what little screen time she gets, but u know what i mean right? or have i confused everyone else along with confusing myself i think i need some coffee

scifi_girl

sig by starlover1990

Comment

thank goodness we have sam to see us through. well what little screen time she gets, but u know what i mean right?
            I know that I'd rather have one Sam episode than twenty Mitchell or Vala episodes

Comment

I know that I'd rather have one Sam episode than twenty Mitchell or Vala episodes
              same here. maybe we'll get a sam episode in season 10

sig by starlover1990

Comment

same here. maybe we'll get a sam episode in season 10
                Hopefully. Don't bet the farm on it, though.

Comment

Hey all.
                  I know I posted before I officially said Hello.
                  Anyway, hello. Just checking out this thread and have to say I love it. I'm trying to read all the back posts, but as of now, I'm about 8% done. Lots of reading ahead of me! Thanks for this great place to talk about Sam and Amanda!
                  I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
                  Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

welcome mickey
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      they should be. sexism very much exists. so does the glass ceiling. i had a boss that would deliberately pay his male employees more because 'they were supporting families' and since i was a single female i deserved to be paid less, since i was only supporting me

i watch incompetant males with the right friends rise in the ranks while the females - and other males to be truthful - get left behind or are put in the position to support said incompetant male, doing all his work while he gets the glory...and nice paycheck

the boys at bridge deliberatly or unconsciously support sexism by how they've written sam the past few years, by how they've written vala and by how they promote cam

chauvenism is rife at bridge studios, and what's even worse is that so few can or will see it and just accept it as 'normal'

attitudes like that are why the girls growing up today will still be paid less to work harder and held to sexist double standards

Sam, as she was written seasons 1-6, was the opposite of the male sexist dieal. she was independant, intelligent and smart. she didn't trade her body or get wehre she was through trickery or friends or favors. she EARNED her position and the respect she had.

but sam is just what the chauvenists are afraid of showing, that women can and are equals to men in many ways. they dont' want that idea to get out there...more competition for them. Rather it's easier - and funner - to degrade women and show them as liars and tricksters and manipulators...because those images make it easier to discount any and all women and their accomplishments.
                      Sky, I've just read this post out to Coley over a rather dodgy cellphone link, and she agrees with you 100% (as do I for that matter. )

She has experienced sexism at work herself, and it is both insulting and frustrating. She didn't just turn the other cheek, she got herself a new job (hence her now residing on a Hebridean island where the thunderstorms are, well, storming. )

On edit: Coley's just had her first Hebridean power cut!!! And the river's rising!!!
                      Last edited by 1speed4Sam; 04 May 2006, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Oooooh. I see a dark cloud of doom and gloom has descended upon our fair kingdom. Perhaps it's time to brighten things up again, eh?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

and the sad part is...as long as the public accepts it, it'll continue.

as long as there are females that think it's ok for sam to be demoted to keep cam happy or that think it's ok that, at least recently, the only reason to have a female on the show is to be a foil for the males, that think that vala is great and fantastic (as her characertizations, not necessarily her), that think it's ok to glorify a woman using sex as a weapon...it'll continue.

and for the younger fans that are distracted by fun...they don't realize the damage that is being done until they get out in the world and experience sexism for their own...and by then it's too late and another generation will experience the very same things we have

no one character will change the world...but every little bit helps to change perceptions and knowledge and works towards a change

i mean, look at it this way. let's say taht sam was a black man. and he got promoted, sent away, came back and was demoted to be under the new white character

would that be accepted????

and eek, coley be careful!!!!!!!!!!
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

You know I just feel the need to point something out here. We have no idea what's going to happen yet and there seems to be some wild conclusion leaping going on.

I agree with many of the frustrations surrounding the leadership issue, but the comments are starting to bear a familiar ring to another fan group who's favourite character.. well.. died. If all we can do is sit back and ***** about it and paint everything with negativity becasue of it, what good is going to come of anything? The issue has been raised, analysed and expounded on to death. Can we not just agree that yeah the command situation sucked in season 9 and wait and see...?

We have no idea what's coming outside of a few spoilers (and spoilers like that at this stage of the game are usually the non-critical story elements). We know that people have heard our protests (regardless of the "spin" from the boys at the press parties), let's wait and see what they do with it all now.

Amanda seems to be happy doing what she's doing, let's not kill everyone's joy in watching her do it. The danger of the current mood of the thread is that people will start to feel forced to uphold a political position on the issue, and is that what this thread is really about? Just a thought...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                              Amanda seems to be happy doing what she's doing, let's not kill everyone's joy in watching her do it. The danger of the current mood of the thread is that people will start to feel forced to uphold a political position on the issue, and is that what this thread is really about? Just a thought...

Thanks, Myrth, I was starting to feel a teeny weeny bit depressed! Better now

scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                                Spoilers and speculation for Season 10:
                                (not for those who want to stay on the 'glass half full side of things today'... so open the spoiler with caution)
                                Spoiler:
                                Sam getting promoted to full Colonel is certainly a possiblity - she is 'on the ship that gets captured' in 'In The Company of Thieves'...

what didn't sit well with me was

1) that the episode spoilers are all about Mitchell's heroics as he attempts to save the rest of SG1

2) the spoilers don't refer to Carter by her rank. She's just 'Samantha Carter'... with no honorific or title. If they'd just said Carter, it wouldn't have sent my radar twitching. But to call her Samantha Carter without the reference to her rank... I think that they are up to something. Are they going to write it so that Carter is no longer in the Air Force? Or is she getting promoted - and they don't want that to leak yet? Whatever they are doing, it's already decided - and probably written, scripted and maybe even already filmed and in the can. I do think that they are going to do something to address the 'leadership issue of SG-1'. Mitchell is going to get full command of SG-1, and he's the new hero. What they are going to do with Carter's character... I haven't sussed that out yet. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her written as resigning from the Air Force... taking some special 'consulting' position... etc. I was hoping that she'd be given a promotion and command of one Earth's new ships... but if it's going to result in having her ship taken over by the enemy... and then Mitchell rescues her (and her crew)... oy!

3) or maybe there's something else in the works that we haven't considered. Why is 'Samantha Carter' on that ship when it gets captured? Maybe it's not 'our Carter'? Could it be.... RepliCarter? An AU Carter?

??
                                Spoilers and Speculation for Season 10
                                Spoiler:

In the above mentioned episode she is called Colonel Carter several times, so I doubt that Sam is no longer in the USAF. However, seeing as Lt. Colonel's and Colonel's are both referred to as Colonel there is no way to tell if she's been promoted or not. My personally assumption is that she has not been promoted.

More detailed spoilers for those who wish to read them.
                                Spoiler:

Sam is not the captain of the ship, at least not initially; however, due to the death of the ship's captain she is left as the highest ranking officer aboard. The damaged ship she's on has been captured and they want Sam to fix it. The vessel is being used as a lure to capture the remaining members of SG-1. Daniel/Vala soon join Sam; but no need to worry because SuperCam is going undercover to rescue them all.

Sorry bout that I think my sarcasm mode kicked on without me even noticing.

I'm not positive but I believe this episode is scheduled to begin filming on May 10th.

Comment

Working...
                                X