Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    i have a funny feeling, just totally my impressions, that while she'll enjoy some guest spots, she's been working 14+ hour days for 10 years, has a daughter that's just getting to that fun time of walking and talking and is in the situation that work isn't mandatory, but something that you do

it's also possible that she knows that, in the hands of rob and the boys, Sam is stagnated and will no longer have any sort of growth...and for an actor, growth is the challenge that makes the job fun

and it hink that maybe she's thinking that it's time to move on, take some time off, enjoy life, enjoy her family

and i also think that, due to her fantastic rep, rda's friendship and 10 years of quality work, she's not gonna lack for offers...along with being able to ride the con circuit when the mood strikes her

I think she knows that she's not wanted on the show anymore. that she doesn't fit into the 'fun' show that coop and his friends want to make and she's ready to move on and is just waiting for a good jumping off point

How do you figure that she knows she is not wanted on the show anymore? Is this based on what she said at GABIT back in October? If she felt that way, why not take the other offer of the other show instead of staying with Stargate? And why in the heck wouldn't they just let her go then, instead of giving her another contract offer? Do you think she is just giving the party line (or is being professional) when she talks about the fun they are having on the show, and the potential for it to last awhile longer? I'm not saying I don't agree with you---I just wonder if we can really know what she thinks.

I'll be curious to see how she talks about season 10 when new interviews come out. Of those folks who went to the Vancouver con---did AT seem like she felt she was not wanted anymore? (Probably can't really tell this, but I just wondered).

Comment

there's also a differnece between 's10 is new and shiny' and getting back to the set and realizing that sam is nothing more than background and - as it seems now - little more than walter or siler. a character that's used to push the plot forward but other than that, ignored.

for an actor, especially someone who's u sed to meat and potato roles, it's boring. it's dissatisifying, even while it pays the bills, it stunts your creative output

back then, there was hope and the promise of an upcoming 20 eps

but now that some of those eps are written and taped and the writing seems to be onthe wall - that vala is all that matters - what other conclusion can a person draw???

vala seems to be all that matters anymore

great for her...not much else for anyone else

at the end of the day, it's AT's life and her choice. she's living it, not me. i support her whatever she does, but my impressions are that, while the atmosphere may be fun, sam's role has diminished to nothing ness and likely what keeps her there is 'hey, they're gonna pay me to stand in the background while someone else has to work thier ass off, fine. easy money'

especially if s10 is it. why not hang out and tuck another year's salary under your belt
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This is all SO depressing! Poor Sam/AT! I'm going to try and stay positive and hope she gets better screen time next season. I mean you never know what will happen, so I'll just wait and see. I don't want the show to end, or for AT to be pushed in the background. TPTB have a gem on their set...they can't be THAT blind! OK, maybe they can. But one day, if they do a movie about that USAF general, I'd want AT to play her for sure!

Comment

yes only FOUR of you have voted
          I'm still thinking.

I may throw Ascension in the mix. That was a Sam heavy episode that showed how she dealt with her mixed emotions. I haven't read the previous posts so if this is a repeat, forgive.
          I'm torn between that, 48 hours (Loved her interaction with McKay) and Revelations.

Comment

i'm just saying......don't forget

sigpic

Comment

ok, so even though, going by the spoilers, there doesn't seem to be much in s10 beyond vala, vala, vala, vala, daniel, vala, vala, super sprog, vala, vala, vala and vala

we do have one thing the vala fans will never have....8.5 years of a kick ass character. so...let's say you're watching tv and you just happen to catch the random sg1 eps.

what are the sam moments that you let the laudry spin in the dryer for a few more minutes to watch? what are the sam eps that you go, eh, yeah, i know i have that eps on dvd, but i'm gonna give it a watch

sigpic

Comment

ok, so even though, going by the spoilers, there doesn't seem to be much in s10 beyond vala, vala, vala, vala, daniel, vala, vala, super sprog, vala, vala, vala and vala

we do have one thing the vala fans will never have....8.5 years of a kick ass character. so...let's say you're watching tv and you just happen to catch the random sg1 eps.

what are the sam moments that you let the laudry spin in the dryer for a few more minutes to watch? what are the sam eps that you go, eh, yeah, i know i have that eps on dvd, but i'm gonna give it a watch
                Well, I know this may be blasphemy here, but there are moments for every character that I can and do watch over and over and over. Honestly, the most enticing moments and episodes for me are still the team ones. 2010 certainly gets a watch out of me every single time I see it's on. Same with Lost City. Threshold, Reckoning, Enemies, Urgo, etc. You know, I'm pretty much a sucker for any episode of SG-1. I really do still love the series. I'm not tired of watching O'neill, Carter, Teal'c, or Daniel, and continually hope that TIIC will one day remember why they've still got two shows on the air. Above all else, I'm just thankful that we got Reckoning, Threads, and Moebius at the end of season eight.

Comment

spoilers for s3 of atlantis ('the return')

here's a link for the story on the front page of gateworld: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...oriatlan.shtml

Spoiler:
                  okay, does anyone else think that maybe this appearance of jack's was meant to be sam's? maybe this is what they had in mind for sam, but since ppl put up a fuss, they've given the storyline to jack?

thoughts?

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    Spoiler:
                    okay, does anyone else think that maybe this appearance of jack's was meant to be sam's? maybe this is what they had in mind for sam, but since ppl put up a fuss, they've given the storyline to jack?

thoughts?

sally
                    Spoiler:
                    possibly - which sucks. That sounds like a rather cool story that Sam might have been in.

Comment

I think she knows that she's not wanted on the show anymore. that she doesn't fit into the 'fun' show that coop and his friends want to make and she's ready to move on and is just waiting for a good jumping off point
                      I don't think you can really know know that. How can you assume to know whether she thinks she's not wanted on the show anymore, or whether she thinks she's very blessed every day to be working with a great group of people she might have come to love like her own family over the past decade? I respect that you care, and that you mean well, but it's ideas like this that generate negative rumors which fly all over the internet and make a lot of people really unhappy. That kind of thing doesn't do anyone a good service. Maybe we should all assume that Amanda's very happy right now and that she's exactly where and with whom she wants to be. You never know, right?

Comment

Originally posted by giggles
                        I don't think you can really know know that. How can you assume to know whether she thinks she's not wanted on the show anymore, or whether she thinks she's very blessed every day to be working with a great group of people she might have come to love like her own family over the past decade? I respect that you care, and that you mean well, but it's ideas like this that generate negative rumors which fly all over the internet and make a lot of people really unhappy. That kind of thing doesn't do anyone a good service. Maybe we should all assume that Amanda's very happy right now and that she's exactly where and with whom she wants to be. You never know, right?
                        Well I hope you're right. I understand the concerns that people have though as I share them. I just want to know she's being treated fairly and with respect as I think is her due.

I'm still pulling for that fantastic Sam/Vala friendship that would play off of their shared past as unwilling hosts. I mean the potential for depth and humor and pathos is amazing...and with Amanda and Claudia it would just be pure gold. I'll have to suggest that in a memo.

By the way, I love your name, giggles. Ironically, I have the same giggle as Amanda does. I love sharing at least one trait with her although I wouldn't have minded if it had been her beauty. Ah well.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by giggles
                          I agree. I don't think we should be speculating on her state of mind and coming up with conclusions based on your personal biases...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            Since it's been awhile I thought I'd make a demotivational poster.

Loved it!
                            Also love your sig pic with Amanda saying "I hope to be remembered for being kind. For being a good daughter and a good wife and most importantly a good friend. I'd like it to be remembered that I loved passionately and that I loved a lot and that I cared."
                            Originally posted by Deejay435
                            Season 5 is hard. Hmmm.

Ascension was essentially a Sam-centric episode but I just can't go for that one. I think Loki had SG1 during that entire week, and what we saw were really Loki's clones. (I know, I know-he screwed up Jack's clone later, he must have had a moment of brilliance when he made the clone that was in Ascension.) Everyone was just so out of character for me. I still get irritated when I think of how easily everyone dismissed Sam as being crazy, or 'overworked' or some other thing that made me feel that the others saw her as very weak. But enough about why I can't choose this episode.

I liked Red Sky-I liked Sam dealing with the consequences of having disabled the safety protocols on the 'gate. But that was such a small part of this episode.

I liked Desperate Measures-I liked how Sam never gave up, never stopped fighting or trying to get out of the lab. But the focus was more on finding her, more on the rest of the team-so I don't know that I would go for that one.

I love Sam at the end of 2001-but I see that as much more a team episode. But the visual lover in me loves the sight of her falling backward through the 'gate.

I love everything about Sam's arc in 48 hours. I loved the character development, the butting heads with McKay, the frustration with being unable to save Teal'c, the fear that she would lose him, the overwheling desire she seemed to feel to shove McKay into a vat of lemon juice, and her struggle to remain professional despite all of it. Funny, till some others mentioned it, I had never thought Sam's arc was such a small part of that episode.

I also liked soldier Sam in The Sentinel. I liked how she took charge of the fire-fight, how she took command of the troops, and fought the Jaffa tooth and nail. I like her deception to Jack-making him think she was allowing Grieves (?) to take down the shield. I like how she was able to figure out that Grieves knew how to get the Sentinal to work, and made the leap of faith in trusting him in that instance.

Now...Revelations. Because we did get to see multi-faceted Sam. We got to see Sam dealing with her loss and grief, her feelings of abandonment when Teal'c and Jack didn't seem to be able to share those with her, so we got some great character building moments in that episode.

But we also got Sam on her game, despite her loss and grief. We got Science Sam leading the others through the Goa'uld ship. We got hollogram Sam which delighted me endlessly. And we got strong Sam in facing Osiris at the end.

I think I'm going to have to dig out that DVD sometime soon.

So for me it's between 48 Hours, The Sentinel, and Revelations. I think, because of the multi-faceted nature of the Sam we saw in Revelations I'm going with that one. I think.
                            Excellent comments, Deejay!
                            Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                            If I may be permitted a smidgenette of OT...

Just spoken to Coley - she says "Hi" to everybody.

At the moment she doesn't know when she'll be back on-line herself - broadband isn't available on the island yet, and she can't decide whether to wait until it is, or get the phone re-connected and go back onto dial-up. Watch this thread for further developments!!!

Her first day at her new job went well, although Hugo disgraced himself while she was out by raiding the fridge and helping himself to a whole block of cheese. He also got mayo all over the nice new carpet we spent hours fitting last week - guess we really should teach him how to use a knife so he can spread it properly in future...

Other than that, she seems to be getting on well with her neighbours; at least they don't seem to be building a Coley-shaped Wicker Woman just yet.
                            Another wonderful update, 1speed! Thanks - your humor is just what I needed

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              Well I hope you're right. I understand the concerns that people have though as I share them. I just want to know she's being treated fairly and with respect as I think is her due.
                              Would you choose to work somewhere you weren't treated fairly and with respect?

Comment

I'm having a hard time with Season 5, Skydiver. There are so many great Sam moments...

I mean Desperate Measures is so compelling. The look of abject terror on her face as she realizes they're about to kill her and then the way she composes herself to conduct the search. Very well done. Plus I've just read Strix's Knife's Edge of Madness that is just a brilliant "what if" scenario for the tag of that episode...very well done Strix! If you haven't read it...it's here: http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/knife.htm

And then there's Fifth Man. I loved seeing her stand up to Hammond and to Colonel Simmons. I saw that same attitude in The Scourge with Woolsey...that amazing aspect of hers that refuses to fall apart when put under pressure.

I'll have to give a lot of thought to this but in the meantime, here's another random Sam!pic. Sam in command. Sam taking charge, kickin' butt and taking names as she goes rescue Daniel. Again. Plus it's my favorite hairstyle on her:

I mean, come on. It's take charge. It's on the go. It's footloose and fancy free. It's a hairstyle that confidently shouts from the rooftops, "I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' VIDAL SASSOON!!!"

Well, that's what it says to me at least...

Last edited by Uber; 02 May 2006, 08:09 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X