Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    You know, far as fic goes, I don't even care all that much. My main beef is with the show itself. My first comment wasn't really about fic so much as it was about the show itself, and the tendancy (even in discussion) we all have to automatically argue Sam/Whomever amongst ourselves without ever really considering maybe .... Sam/Nobody. We have these little mini-wars (in fun) over it, but it's always a PAIRING. Why does there even have to be one? That was my rant, really. Fic is fic - it's (twisted) fantasy by nature.
    Ah, yes. Which is why I prayed that Sam's "not exactly" in Deus Ex Machina was her way of pushing Barret off without outright lying.
    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
      Stick to your guns. Yes, you might make some people mad, but it's your story and if they don't like it, they don't have to read it.
      what she said. you write YOUR story. they want it to end differently,they can sit down and bang at the keyboard

i reemmber an older story, one written by a pair of daniel fans. it's hand in hand and starts out with sam and daniel trapped in a cave with some icky critters

and does start out with daniel and sam whump...then, at least to me, round the end of part 3, beginnign of part 4, the story takes an abrupt change from equal whumpage to teh whole frelling universe fretting over daniel, including sam

TO ME, it looked like the authors altered their origial intent to please the masses, those that prefer daniel whump

and it harms the story in my pov, because what was a good and 'equal' story slants towards pure daniel whump...and destroys the whole flow of the story

the moral of the story????? (no pun intended) write what your muse tells you to write and stuff those that are telling you to tweak it.
      now i'm not saying to dismiss any and all input, i am saying to look at it with an objective pov and if you feel that thier input is not good, don't use it. after all , thier name isnt' on the story, yours is. make it something you're proud of
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        That's because Sam/Jack undertones are canon. To write those two true to character, it's easy to let that in, even when writing gen or team stories.
        Yes, it's easy to let that in. However what's not easy is to keep it undertoned like in canon. I admit I don't read Sam fics because I'm so afraid of reading scenes where she has to save the guys and thinking of the romantic dinner Jack promised her at the same moment. Candles and P90 bullets generally don't mix well.

Unless it's in a bad fic.
        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
          ..I admit I don't read Sam fics because I'm so afraid of reading scenes where she has to save the guys and thinking of the romantic dinner Jack promised her at the same moment.
          :shudder:

Candles and P90 bullets generally don't mix well.

Unless it's in a bad fic.
          scarimor

Comment

There are so many great Sam moments in Season 5. I love the part in The Warrior when Sam demonstrates the P-90! But there are just SO many, I don't know if I can pick ONE episode. *Ponders*

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              You know, far as fic goes, I don't even care all that much. My main beef is with the show itself. My first comment wasn't really about fic so much as it was about the show itself, and the tendancy (even in discussion) we all have to automatically argue Sam/Whomever amongst ourselves without ever really considering maybe .... Sam/Nobody. We have these little mini-wars (in fun) over it, but it's always a PAIRING. Why does there even have to be one? That was my rant, really. Fic is fic - it's (twisted) fantasy by nature.
              But it's in the human nature to interact with others. We argue over Sam/Anyone but in the meantime, we rant when we find obvious lack of interaction between Sam and the other characters.
              Maybe the problem is the fine line between friendship and relationship. Consider how some of us see Sam and Janet interactions, friendship or more ? There's also that Sam has been the only female element of the team before Vala's introduction. Every "alien male of the week" had to be paired with her. The boys also had their fair share of "alien women of the week", but it wasn't so obvious because they were three of them. And if you do the math, there's no way Sam could have dealt with as many admirers than they had.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                :shudder:

Any BJC ideas ? What about "How I mcgyvered my P90 into a candlestick" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                  But it's in the human nature to interact with others. We argue over Sam/Anyone but in the meantime, we rant when we find obvious lack of interaction between Sam and the other characters.
                  Maybe the problem is the fine line between friendship and relationship. Consider how some of us see Sam and Janet interactions, friendship or more ? There's also that Sam has been the only female element of the team before Vala's introduction. Every "alien male of the week" had to be paired with her. The boys also had their fair share of "alien women of the week", but it wasn't so obvious because they were three of them. And if you do the math, there's no way Sam could have dealt with as many admirers than they had.
                  i don't mind relationships, even (the) romatic one. its the "sam carter: who will she be paired with next?" and "sam carter: the other half of every couple" that annoy me. why can't she just interact with people like she's....i dunno? a person? it'd be nice...you know, just for a change.
                  sigpic
                  "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                  Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    It's a very easy way of attracting a larger audience, if you're willing to adapt the story a little. The problem comes when you start to sacrifice the story for ship. Both my betas for Shattered, as well as others, having "suggested" that I have the story end with Sam and Jack together, otherwise the shippers are going to lynch me. Well. From my point of view, it undermines the whole story.

So do you sacrifice the story for a larger audience, or do you stick to your guns and p*ss people off? I know what a lot of fanfic writers would do.
                    Take the high ground and stick to your gut feeling. It's your vision, not your beta's. (Unless the beta is going to write it for you...) A good beta will catch your grammar and spelling errors and catch you if you slip on the canon (...and if you write NC-17, might perhaps point out that certain contortions aren't physically possible...). But IMOHO they shouldn't try to influence you to do things a certain way to appease a certain population of readers; it'd be more questioning if you realized how a certain passage or scene comes across since you've read it so many times it might not be obvious to you any more...

But the bottom line is to just write. There will always be someone to read it.

Though as far as what categories to stick things for ff uploaders or competitions does become an issue sometimes... I know I'm scratching my head sometimes because well... it has action, it has team, it has a bit of S/J, why should it be wholly defined as an S/J? I know I don't write thinking 'okay this is going to be a HUGE Sam whump story or a huge this or that thing... Though one of the main ideas I had for this current FF is that I really did want to show deep Sam and Teal'c's friendship was in addition to her reaction to a certain event....

Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Sorry guys, I was just using Shattered as an example of what Mandy was saying. I wasn't meaning to make it a huge discussion point, but thanks for all your help and advice My betas are great and wonderful, but they have both suggested Sam/Jack ending (independantly). And I guess Myrth wouldn't suggest it unless it were a good idea.
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                        It's a very easy way of attracting a larger audience, if you're willing to adapt the story a little. The problem comes when you start to sacrifice the story for ship. Both my betas for Shattered, as well as others, having "suggested" that I have the story end with Sam and Jack together, otherwise the shippers are going to lynch me. Well. From my point of view, it undermines the whole story.

So do you sacrifice the story for a larger audience, or do you stick to your guns and p*ss people off? I know what a lot of fanfic writers would do.
                        You know, I suppose it depends on what you want to get out of your writing. If you want a bunch of positive feedback telling you that you and your story are wonderful, then you do what you have to do to get that. I don't really see anything wrong with it; a little ego-stroking is usually healthy (for most people), and if it makes you and your audience happy, where is the harm in it? Nobody is making any money here; feedback is all the payment you get for your effort.

On the other hand, if telling the story you want to tell is more important than any immediate reward(s) of feedback, then write the story you want to tell. If you compromise that, chances are good that it'll show. I always recommend doing your research and running sensitive subjects by a beta first, but be true to your muse.

Philosophically, the latter is my approach, but I place higher value on being true to my own vision than on external positive feedback. I also consider myself to be my most important reader. It's always a lucky thing when my vision for a story also has wide appeal. But to each their own.

From the language that you used ie. "sacrifice for the ship," "undermine the story," it sounds to me that you've already decided what you want to do, which is be true to the story. Otherwise you wouldn't have chosen those words to describe your dilemma. Besides, if you're "sacrificing" something to change the story, it will obviously be a better story if stick to your guns (at least from your perspective). There is value in quality, too... as well as in creating something in which you have pride.

So, I would say in this case at least, be true to your story.
                        Last edited by Strix varia; 01 May 2006, 01:30 PM.

My LJ

Comment

Does this site ever allow members to make up interview questions for the cast, primarily AT?
                          sigpic
                          She enjoys fresh decrepit-pegasus patties. 99% Lean pegasus burgers.

I have been reincarnated as Teyla's Gymnastic Dance Sticks! Whoot!

When I quote you, I will post my opinion in bold inside of the quote box. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alterans
                            Does this site ever allow members to make up interview questions for the cast, primarily AT?
                            we make lists when there's a con in the near future, and the (freakin lucky!!) con-goers bring them to the Q&A session. other than that?
                            sigpic
                            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                              Was there ever any doubt? Who could resist a take charge, get the job done, stick your sir where it fits Sam Carter?!

me.

i guess i'm the only sam fan that didn't *enjoy* this ep.

it's because sam di... didn't continue to live

((( )))

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                me.

i guess i'm the only sam fan that didn't *enjoy* this ep.

it's because sam di... didn't continue to live

((( )))

sally
                                but she sacrificed herself to save... herself. so really she lived and died honorably...

yeah, well, it's monday.

don't worry, i voted for...for...wow, it really is monday isn't it?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X