Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    Sam/Jack
    Sam/Teal'c
    Sam/Shep
    Sam/Janet
    Sam/Vala
    Sam/(insert name here)

Ya know what? I just want SAM/NOBODY. Can we get SAM/NOBODY for a frickin' change?! FCOL, give the poor woman a rest!

/end rant

Well, it's MONDAY. So
    *sigh*

Unfortunately Gracie doesn't seem to be writing anymore. She's one of the very few who could write Sam without a pairing.

*sigh*
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      I think it's very hard to get Sam/Nobody, because most Sam fics, even if not explicitly shippy, have Sam/Jack undertones. I read Nine Lives a few months ago, and that was pretty much Sam/Nobody, but there's still a hint of feelings between Sam/Jack.
      That's because Sam/Jack undertones are canon. To write those two true to character, it's easy to let that in, even when writing gen or team stories.

My LJ

Comment

part of it can be that. but part is also perception.

readers see what they want to see. and if they like the s/j angle, then they're more likely to see ship in the most innocent of interactions.

also, a lot of sam/jack friendship gets tagged as ship fic, even if they're just platonic friends
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alterans
          I like how Sam smiles,the way she shows sarcasm and how she always tells O'Neill no to that fishing trip.
          AT has the greatest laugh. One of my favorite things about her DVD commentaries is when she laughs. It's so contagious.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            That's because Sam/Jack undertones are canon. To write those two true to character, it's easy to let that in, even when writing gen or team stories.
            I was going to say that, but thought that some of our non S/J shipper friends would disagree with that.
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I was going to say that, but thought that some of our non S/J shipper friends would disagree with that.
              Hehehe, sometimes I like to write the undertones of the ship (cannon) just to get to the shippers
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                Dammit, Strix, stop clouding the issue with facts.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

With apologies for going wildly OT…

“I love the smell of peat-smoke in the morning…”

From an Oh Yea Times special reporter

And so it came to pass that, on Thursday April 20th 2006, the Royal Accountant Coley, assisted by her faithful manservant 1speed, and hindered by her large and spirited dog Hugo, packed as much of her former life as possible into a large van, and headed north to start her new life on what is thought to be Samanda’s remotest outpost, the Hebridean island of Lewis (which for any overseas readers with access to a world atlas can be found just to the left of Scotland).

The first part of the journey took the intrepid trio five and a half hours to cover 262 miles, arriving after dark at the rather twee Scottish town of Pitlochry, and the sanctuary of a hotel stocking a suitably large range of single malt whiskies. During the journey, 1speed spotted a truck operated by Lys-Line - is the Royal Pharmacist now offering road haulage services as well as her Special Blue Jello?

The next day, the trek continued to the ferry port of Ullapool, a further two and a half hours and 144 miles north from Pitlochry. Prior to boarding the ferry, the van was weighed-in at 4.5 tons, a large proportion of which can apparently be attributed to a cardboard box belonging to the Royal Accountant, mysteriously labelled “Bathroom Stuff”.

Following a smooth sea crossing of 3 hours to Stornoway, and a further 24 miles by road, the travellers finally arrived safely at the Royal Accountant’s new residence in the settlement of Carloway (or Carlabhagh in the native Gaelic).

Saturday was spent in a frenzied blur of unloading and unpacking, during which it was discovered that, in a major packing faux-pas, the Royal Accountant had left the cardboard box containing her Season 1 - 7 Stargate DVD’s behind in Preston!!!

Due to the extreme nature of this crisis (especially as the Royal Accountant currently has no internet access, so cannot contact her fellow Samandans for comfort/relief), Coldplay are to be asked to arrange a special benefit concert to raise the funds required for an emergency parachute drop containing a complete set of replacement DVD‘s.

To be continued…

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                    Hehehe, sometimes I like to write the undertones of the ship (cannon) just to get to the shippers
                    It's a very easy way of attracting a larger audience, if you're willing to adapt the story a little. The problem comes when you start to sacrifice the story for ship. Both my betas for Shattered, as well as others, having "suggested" that I have the story end with Sam and Jack together, otherwise the shippers are going to lynch me. Well. From my point of view, it undermines the whole story.

So do you sacrifice the story for a larger audience, or do you stick to your guns and p*ss people off? I know what a lot of fanfic writers would do.

Comment

“I love the smell of peat-smoke in the morning…”

continued…

As Sunday is still observed as a day of rest on the island, so Coley and 1speed (and Hugo, of course) were finally able to draw breath, and headed out to explore their new surroundings.

It was during this exploration that the Royal Accountant’s previously unseen power to control the ocean became apparent - all she has to do is point her camera at the onrushing waves, and the sea becomes as smooth as glass; as soon as she puts her camera back in its case, the waves resume their ferocious pounding.

To onlookers, this power appears to be pure magic, but 1speed has his suspicions that the Royal Accountant may actually be using a Goa’uld hand device cleverly disguised as a Nikon D70.

These suspicions were reinforced later in the week when a sinister side to this power was revealed. During a gentle walk on a local beach, the Royal Accountant, apparently irritated by 1speed’s habit of spending 20 minutes or more in the bathroom each morning, summoned a freak wave which left him standing up to his knees in cold North Atlantic seawater. Of course, it may just have been a ploy to get him stripped down to his underpants…

Yet more sinister goings-on occurred on the pair’s last evening together. On returning to the house after another enjoyable day spent exploring, Outdoor!Coley disappeared into the bedroom, and was replaced by what 1speed believes to have been a stunningly glamorous RepliColey, who insisted on treating him to a meal at a local restaurant. Luckily for what little remains of 1speed’s sanity, things quickly returned to normal after the meal when RepliColey vanished and Outdoor!Coley re-emerged from the bedroom, apparently none the worse for her experience.

Sadly all good things must come to an end, and so early next morning a heartbroken 1speed caught the ferry back to the mainland alone, leaving the Royal Accountant and her large and spirited dog Hugo to their new life.

Thanks to all who sent messages of support - as soon as we hear anything from Coley, we’ll pass it on.

Comment

Awww! Thanks for the update, 1Speed! Nice to hear that things are well, despite the lack of Stargate DVDs. Poor Coley! And it's typical about the waves: my camera has the same effect.

Comment

So do you sacrifice the story for a larger audience, or do you stick to your guns and p*ss people off? I know what a lot of fanfic writers would do.
                          Stick to your guns. Yes, you might make some people mad, but it's your story and if they don't like it, they don't have to read it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                            Stick to your guns. Yes, you might make some people mad, but it's your story and if they don't like it, they don't have to read it.
                            I agree with Kat here. You have to do what feels right for your story and what does the most justice to your characters. Stick to your guns.

I've read stories that have gone both ways, some that ended with 'ship just for the sake of ship and it really fell flat, and others where the author really wound something up to the point that it didn't even make sense anymore there wouldn't have been some kind of further 'ship exploration, but they let it go on principle because they just didn't want RST.

At the end of the day, it's YOUR story. You know the characters best and the integrity of the narrative is your own design. Do what makes it right. If your editors are telling you to end with 'ship, just ask yourself whether they have a point - did you write the story in such a way that it begs that direction? Or are they just asking for the sake of it because they're shippers and it doesn't have anything to do with what you wrote? \

Sometimes beta editors can point out directions we didn't even realize our story had (inadvertantly) taken. If your story went all "ship" on you and that wasn't what you wanted, maybe tweaking some of the earlier ship OUT of it will help make your betas not cry for it in the end, too. If your betas are just rabid shippers and they'd cry for ship no matter what you wrote, then well, that's another matter entirely. Get a beta who's willing to be impartial!

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Nah, the frickin ship is in the cannon [sic] - big ol' lump of metal stuck in the dark hole, waiting for someone to put a smouldering wick to the powder and blow it all to hell!

scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                                Nah, the frickin ship is in the cannon [sic] - big ol' lump of metal stuck in the dark hole, waiting for someone to put a smouldering wick to the powder and blow it all to hell!

scari, that's a cannonball. a cannon is the thing that blows EDIT: the other SHIPS (haha tj... )to hell.
                                Last edited by ParadoxRealities; 01 May 2006, 11:19 AM.
                                sigpic
                                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Working...
                                X