Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UberSG-1Fan
    Here's a neat review of the Season 8 DVDs. I pretty much agree with it all but this one paragraph really stuck out. See if you can figure out why:
    I think that for me is one of the reasons why Season 9 felt like such a failure comparatively. Season 8 had me dining on a feast of Amanda!Genius and then enter the dearth of Season 9.

I hope that next year TPTB remember how great she is and how much she adds to the show...and quite frankly, how much the show suffers when they toss her to the background.

I know, I know. Save the whinging for the Whinge!Nut House thread, right? Well let me end on a positive note by saying that Amanda's brilliant characterizations of 3 Carter variants in Season 8 is one of the highlights of the season, if not the series. TPTB would do well to remember that there's a reason she's received so many awards for her work.
    Thanks for posting the link Uber (i think this may the same thing kazzyk was refrencing a little earlier). The parts that really struck me were the following:

Spoiler:
    snip, snip -- What's more troubling, in light of Season 9, is "Prometheus Unbound," which has Daniel meeting up with a strange warrior named Vala... played by Claudia Black in a clear reprise/parody of her Farscape character, Aeryn Sun. The episode feels completely pointless, and is badly paced, and could easily be forgotten as one of Stargate's less successful "parody of another television show" episodes, except for the fact that Vala returns in Season 9 as a recurring character. No thanks (emphasis added).

snip, snip

And in the end, the final scene of "Moebius" is a good stopping point not just for Season 8, but for the series as a whole. I would have loved to have seen Stargate SG-1 continue on in the same strong vein as this season, but it was not to be: several of the main actors would choose to be sidelined (Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping), and new actors would be brought on to replace them (Ben Browder and Claudia Black). Considering that one of the strengths of Stargate SG-1 is the dynamics of the SG-1 team, characters whom we have come to know and love, it's certain that it won't be the same, or anything close to it. Whether you enjoy the new direction of Season 9 or not, it's undeniable that Season 8 marks the end of an important part of the series, and I think that "Moebius" is, to a great extent, a farewell.

I could not agree more with this reviewer - excellent review and analysis and right on point - I really, really hope TPRTS see things like this and get that the "fans" are not the crazy ones - there is something inherently wrong with the show now and the heart of the show is missing - I say either change the name and put us out of our misery from watching a once great, intelligent, dynamic, show go completely and utterly down the drain or cancel the thing before it becomes a low-brow version of Spaceballs.

I agree completely with what this reviewer says about AT and her talents - it is a real shame TPRTS have chosen the path they have and if they do not change that path in S10 they are 1200% blind to what they have.

BTW - cannot wait to hear what this reviewer says about S9 DVDs - it should be ineterseting reading.
    Last edited by binkpmmc; 03 May 2006, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure how my user title changed. Today I started off as a prim'tah.
      sigpic
      She enjoys fresh decrepit-pegasus patties. 99% Lean pegasus burgers.

I have been reincarnated as Teyla's Gymnastic Dance Sticks! Whoot!

When I quote you, I will post my opinion in bold inside of the quote box. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alterans
        I'm not sure how my user title changed. Today I started off as a prim'tah.
        its based on # of posts

ETA: note--you CANNOT become a moderator by posting a lot. besides, its not how much you post that matter, its what's in each [/corny]
        sigpic
        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

I was rummaging over the net and I heard that AT preformed in several musicals. Did she ever perform in the Sound of Music. She would have been great with character Maria
          sigpic

When I quote you, I will post my opinion in bold inside of the quote box. Deal with it.

Comment

But how do we know if a user claims to be AT?

Thanks for the welcome!

The ancient gene, how did they discover it?
            if anyone does, then darren calls the studio and uses his contacts to verify that thier identity is real, like he did with torri. he will then alter their little name thing to verify that they are real.

Until darren verifies things, it's best to treat any claims with a grain of salt. There are people out there that WILL impersonate actors to get a little ego boo. I seem to recall someone pretending to be MS a few y ears ago, and carried it out for a while until they were caught.

skepticism is a healthy thing to have on the net
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

we (...I) seem to be avoiding the ancient gene question.

so....uhh....
              sigpic
              "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)

Comment

Yes the ancient gene question
                1. How was it discovered
                2. Who discovered it
                sigpic

Comment

EDIT: Yeah she was probably the one who figured it out(the gene)
                  According to dialogue in Atlantis, Dr. Carson Beckett discovered the "Ancient Technology Activating Gene." Also, according to Atlantis dialogue, he obtained a position in the Atlantis Expedition on the strength of that discovery.

I like your Sam sig picture very much, Alterans!

ETA: How Dr. Beckett discovered the gene wasn't explained, but he probably compared the genetic profiles of the various people who could make the 'control chair' respond - at all - with that of General O'Neill, and discovered that all of them had some specific, and unusual, characteristic in their 'genetic fingerprint,' made a project of discovering what caused it, and found out it was the 'gene.'
                  ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for that information. I was just wondering how they figured out it was a gene that was cause certain people to react to ancient tech.

Thanks, I really like my sig!
                    sigpic

Comment

i like it too.

it's a downsized wallpaper that i made

http://www.jackfic.com/fanart/thumbnails.php?album=12

sigpic

Comment

Oh you made that wallpaper? Thank you it is really nice looking.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          i like it too.

That's lovely, Sky. Well done!!!
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            i like it too.

is that a subtle maybe-you-should-credit-me-for-my-reallreally-cool-wall hint?
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh you made that wallpaper? Thank you it is really nice looking.
                              you're welcome. and have fun using it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                                is that a subtle maybe-you-should-credit-me-for-my-reallreally-cool-wall hint?
                                lol

that's ok. i didn't sign them or anything. In fact, i don't think many folks realize that i made walls every once in a while

i just had the oddest sense of deja vu when i saw the sig pic

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X