Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    killing in cold blood is usually a non-necessary killing

such as....sam would have killed ba'al in cold blood if, after his assistance in Reckoning, she calmly walked up to him and shot him in the head, without provocation or reason
    It would also be a "cold-blooded" killing if she staked out Ba'al's stronghold and shot him with a sniper rifle in order to rescue Teal'c - a necessary killing, but not one of passion.

People often associate the phrase "cold blooded" with a criminal act because we usually use it with the term "murder", as in it was a cold-blooded murder. But "cold-blooded" really means "without emotion". In the context of murder, it usually connotates lack of pity for the victim - lack of empathy.

In a lawful context, e.g. Sam the Air Force officer on a mission, shooting Ba'al to rescue a comrade, the "cold blooded" is just as relevant; it's a task which she carries out in cold blood.

If Sam "lost it" and killed someone because they'd done something that sickened her, that would not be a cold-blooded killing. It would be a hot-blooded one (for want of a better phrase); often called a crime of passion.
    scarimor

Comment

it's usually sadly humorous when non-fans write stuff

rda was on a rather painful episode of regis and kelly a couple of years ago...and they didn't know jack abuot the show either.

kinda sad
      I think it has to do with being "snobs" it's only scifi, so it doesn't really matter, we watch much better shows than that

I have to say our local newscast is like that, for entertainment they have the 'reporter' who knows all about plays and what not, that not everyone knows but when it comes to covering the "new bands" playing a concert she just seems so out of place its laughable, I'm sure she's never heard of AT eventhough she grew up not far from here
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Happy Birtday Deepspace
        The party's just getting started
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
          Lol, yes. It's not been much fun to have the internet down for so long, and over the Easter holidays too .
          And thankyou NC for the traditional Samandan birthday cake . 'Twas my 19th yesterday.
          And Happy Birthday to Carson's Girl also! I must remember to add you to the thread's birthday list . I hope you had a great day.
          Happy belated birthday, deepspace!!!!

My LJ

Comment

happy, happy birthday deep space
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

happy birthday deepspace

sig by starlover1990

Comment

courtesy of morjana

the 'official' themes for scifi mondays

morjana found this on the scifi site

http://www.scifi.com/stargate/

STARGATE SG-1 THEMED MONDAYS

ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH (Best Two-Parters)
                April 24 Starting at 7/6C

Heroes, Parts 1 and 2; Lost City, Parts 1 and 2

That's Rediculous (Silliest Episodes) - spelling optional i guess
                May 1 Starting at 7/6C

Urgo, Upgrades, Wormhole Xtreme, The Other Guys

BASE INVADERS
                May 8 Starting at 7/6C

The Enemy Within, Hathor, Entity, Sight Unseen

FAMILY COMES FIRST
                May 15 Starting at 7/6C

Cold Lazarus, The Crystal Skull, Absolute Power, Orpheus

APOCALYPSE NOW
                May 22 Starting at 7/6C

Nemesis, Small Victories, Redemption - Parts 1 and 2

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                  It would also be a "cold-blooded" killing if she staked out Ba'al's stronghold and shot him with a sniper rifle in order to rescue Teal'c - a necessary killing, but not one of passion.

People often associate the phrase "cold blooded" with a criminal act because we usually use it with the term "murder", as in it was a cold-blooded murder. But "cold-blooded" really means "without emotion". In the context of murder, it usually connotates lack of pity for the victim - lack of empathy.

In a lawful context, e.g. Sam the Air Force officer on a mission, shooting Ba'al to rescue a comrade, the "cold blooded" is just as relevant; it's a task which she carries out in cold blood.

If Sam "lost it" and killed someone because they'd done something that sickened her, that would not be a cold-blooded killing. It would be a hot-blooded one (for want of a better phrase); often called a crime of passion.
                  I don't think we've ever seen Sam, even as an officer in the USAF, do anything in cold blood. She may have had to do some pretty nasty things in her past, but there has always been an emotional reaction from Sam. In fact, I don't really think any of the characters could be considered cold-blooded, because in most cases they show some type of emotion afterwards. I think the most cold-blooded( emotionless ) scenes I have seen over the past ten years have involved Jack and Teal'c, but I would expect them both to be harder and less emotional given the types of things they have been asked to do.

Like I believe Jack was cold-blooded when he closed the iris on Alar in The Other Side. He knew Alar would die and he showed absolutely no remorse or guilt for his actions. That to me was an amazingly powerful scene between Jack and Sam. If I remember correctly, the scene had originally been written with Sam/Jack talking after the iris closes, but RDA thought it was better with just the two of them looking at one another. Which I think was much more emotionally unsettling, because Jack did come across as cold-blooded and Sam looked completely aghast by what had just transpired.

Comment

astro's idea brings up a storythat i read last week or so...and i posted a link here

basically it was that, in a dream, teal'c saw that sam would be there at his death, and that it would be in battle. so he asked something horrible of her. and she agreed, of course believing that the day would never come to pass

it did and how it ends is
                    Spoiler:
                    teal'c was fatally injured, wanted to die like his father did, with a crushed symbiote, and that's what he asked of her, to crush his symbiote and let him die...and she did. And jack and daniel didn't nkow about the promise at the time, so they're angry with sam until daniel remembers the night teal'c had the dream

I know a lot of folks make sam as the 'weaker' emotional one...but i think she has a backbone of steel and the ability to do what the others might not be able to do.
                    actually, this is a real fic. A Sudden Clearing by Nanda

I need to get my list made. the nominations for the sg1 awards close at the end of the month, and i know that sam centric fic tends to get ignored (in truth, if it's not daniel, daniel/jack 'gen' or jack centric fic, everything gets ignored)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Like I believe Jack was cold-blooded when he closed the iris on Alar in The Other Side. He knew Alar would die and he showed absolutely no remorse or guilt for his actions. That to me was an amazingly powerful scene between Jack and Sam. If I remember correctly, the scene had originally been written with Sam/Jack talking after the iris closes, but RDA thought it was better with just the two of them looking at one another. Which I think was much more emotionally unsettling, because Jack did come across as cold-blooded and Sam looked completely aghast by what had just transpired.

The other scene was in 48hrs when they finally manage to get Teal'c out of the
                      but i noticed while sam looked agast...she didn't contradict his orders. She could have. But she kept silent and, in that silence, was complicit in it.

I've always thought that, while she didn't care for alar's death, she didn't support what he was doing either. And, in hindsight, could probably see the dangers of him being allowed to exist on earth.

sigpic

Comment

but i noticed while sam looked agast...she didn't contradict his orders. She could have. But she kept silent and, in that silence, was complicit in it.

I've always thought that, while she didn't care for alar's death, she didn't support what he was doing either. And, in hindsight, could probably see the dangers of him being allowed to exist on earth.
                        I got the feeling that she was both suprised and shocked at the same time when the iris closed.
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Like I believe Jack was cold-blooded when he closed the iris on Alar in The Other Side. He knew Alar would die and he showed absolutely no remorse or guilt for his actions. That to me was an amazingly powerful scene between Jack and Sam.
                          That was a good Jack moment for me. I hadn't been keen on him for much of the episode, but he sure redeemed himself with that decision, imo.

And I'm embarassed to confess that I can't remember Sam's reaction! Good excuse to dig out that scene and watch it though
                          scarimor

Comment

That was a good Jack moment for me. I hadn't been keen on him for much of the episode, but he sure redeemed himself with that decision, imo.

And I'm embarassed to confess that I can't remember Sam's reaction! Good excuse to dig out that scene and watch it though
                            that's okay scar I can hardly remember any of the episodes from S9
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Hee! My two-year-old is sitting on my knee in front of the puter saying "I want Sams! I want Sams! Lots of Sams!"

I think she wants to start a thunk thread
                              scarimor

Comment

Hee! My two-year-old is sitting on my knee in front of the puter saying "I want Sams! I want Sams! Lots of Sams!"

I think she wants to start a thunk thread
                                Sit her in front of Ripple Effect. That'll give her what she wants. Followed by Point of View. Changeling. Gemini. Sams.... lots of Sams.
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X