Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfbooy
    Yep. In fact, I'm not sure the ribbon device or the healing device make an appearance at all from season six onward, right up until Apophis whips it out (to much cheering on my part) in Moebius. It's all part of "space ship disease" if you ask me. So very much of the effects budget goes to these enormously unsatisfying space battles and ship episodes that there is nothing left for all of the little touches that made SG-1 unique. It's the same sorry excuse that's shuffled out whenever TPTB are asked about actually "seeing" the gate in an episode, or about why there are very few "puddle passes", or why nobody uses zats and staff weapons anymore. I was even disappointed in the Ori staff weapon's effect in Crusade because it looked like it was designed to be cost effective for mass use rather than designed to look impressive or add gravitas to the Ori. I have similar feelings about Ronan's gun effect in Atlantis. Yes, the Zat blasts are time consuming and expensive to do, but if you ask me they really pay off. I know there is a sizeable portion of fans who absolutely adore the space ships with a passion that knows no bounds. And I know that the producers don't really want to lose them; they are, by and large, the coveted target demographic. But it would be nice to see some other effects aside from endless CGI sequences that are there just for the sake of having an episode have some CGI.

So, to make a pathetic attempt to pull this back on topic, I think that one of the main reasons that the hand device and other Goa'uld technology isn't seen very much anymore is because they're deemed a low priority when it comes to an episode's special effects budget. That means that Carter's ability to use Goa'uld tech is necessarily forgotten. Perhaps Vala's addition to the show will bring attention back to the whole host/Goa'uld relationship, and hopefully the fact that both Carter and Vala share this unique experience will at least be touched upon. But I'm not holding my breath. Any such scene will probably wind up on the editing room floor. Character stuff is so boring anyway.
    Spoiler for Season 10 - though I can't remember which episode at the moment. So read at your own risk.
    Spoiler:

I doubt we'll see Sam actually using any Gou'ald technology/weapons this season, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that she will use an Ori/Prior staff weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Spoiler for Season 10 - though I can't remember which episode at the moment. So read at your own risk.
      Spoiler:

I doubt we'll see Sam actually using any Gou'ald technology/weapons this season, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that she will use an Ori/Prior staff weapon.
      Oh yeah, I read that too :O

Spoiler:
      Apparently Sam kicks some Ori Soldier arse with one of their staff weapon As in melee combat with it, like Teal'c usually does. Obviously they spent a bit of time doing 'one on one' 'staff weapon' training

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        Perhaps, but I would have thought that David Hewlett would have been nominated for either Duet or Grace Under Pressure, for example? And TPTB talk about how sizzling season 9 was, so...
        i couldn't comment on atlantis because i don't watch it. i'm sure there was something worthy in that show.

stargate season 9? i saw nothing worth even nominating, let alone awarding.

If In the Line of Duty doesn't win, I'll demand a recount! Just kidding! Can't go wrong with any of the episodes mentioned. Sam Carter is simply a great character all around.
        season 2 really was hard! but i chose 'in the line of duty' because (for one), it was permanent on sam.

out of the other eps where something change-worthy happened to her (entity, desperate measures, nightwalkers, metamorphosis, grace, death knell, new orders), only 'in the line of duty' let the consequences be shown.

out of all the eps i've listed above (which had sam whumping)... if i could only pick one of these eps to have consequences shown... that's a hard one to choose. but i'm going to try...

thinking

i guess i pick 'nightwalkers'. i would have loved to have seen what it would have done to sam (mentally and physically) to have taken *another* symbiote into her body. and once again, it dying within her.

what about you guys? which one out of that list would you choose?

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
          LOL!

That's why poor Sky had to announce that she's only accepting PMed votes. She doesn't want Samanada to suddenly turn into Florida!

Where I will be in less than 24 hours!

I'll miss everyone when I'm gone, but I can't wait. Two weeks in the sun, my cousin's car to drive around Jacksonville to see my friends, the pool, life will be Sweet!
          Jacksonville that's my old stomping grounds. Lived there for 17 years moved away and then back for a few more.

To get back on topic I would never want to sway anyone with my favorite S2 episode. But here is a little picture of one of the great character interaction moments from S2.

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
            Jacksonville that's my old stomping grounds. Lived there for 17 years moved away and then back for a few more.

To get back on topic I would never want to sway anyone with my favorite S2 episode. But here is a little picture of one of the great character interaction moments from S2.

You swayed me! Well, except for the part where AMOT was already my vote. Yeah.

I lived in Jax for thirteen years. 89-2002. Can't wait to get back there for a while.

Comment

I hope Darren or someone announces it on GW before hand. I imagine they will because they seem to do this for the main actors.

She plays Detective Burns. Who knows how a big a role it is, but I would at least imagine we get to see AT for a bit!
              I'm not really sure what role she plays other than it's a bumbling detective according to Amanda; however, if it is Detective Burns, then I'm pretty sure it's not a huge part.

Spoiler:

I've read the sides for that part and it appears to have been originally written as a male detective. It will be interesting to see how Amanda played the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                LOL!

But I just cannot get past that "ex-squeeze me, please, but did you ever actually encounter the word 'gravity' in your high school science classes, much less the theory? 'cause you're deep in the fiction part of 'science fiction' here, writer guys, not the science part" depiction of Newtonian gravity, let alone quantum gravity in that ep. It just makes me want to scream and head desk, every time I see it.

"Nooooooo - if the field is transmitted by the wormhole, there is no reason for the field to STOP SOMEWHERE on the other side of the wormhole! Nooooo!! It's not gravity, it's a plot device!!! It's not a black hole! It's a word-processor without Google access!!! Argh!!!!" :thump:

Like that.
                Um it all made perfect sense to me, after I saw the donut explanaton
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                  Oh yeah, I read that too :O

Spoiler:
                  Apparently Sam kicks some Ori Soldier arse with one of their staff weapon As in melee combat with it, like Teal'c usually does. Obviously they spent a bit of time doing 'one on one' 'staff weapon' training
                  Spoiler:
                  Yea and Jack never found about it either
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

(snip)

out of the other eps where something change-worthy happened to her (entity, desperate measures, nightwalkers, metamorphosis, grace, death knell, new orders), only 'in the line of duty' let the consequences be shown.

out of all the eps i've listed above (which had sam whumping)... if i could only pick one of these eps to have consequences shown... that's a hard one to choose. but i'm going to try...

thinking

i guess i pick 'nightwalkers'. i would have loved to have seen what it would have done to sam (mentally and physically) to have taken *another* symbiote into her body. and once again, it dying within her.

i'm reposting this because we need to work to keep this thread alive! sam fans, reply to this post. answer this question. keep this thread alive!!

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

I redesigned the AT Club site yes... and thanks for the feedback! It'd be great to see some more Samandan faces over there too!

Myrth, I think it is you, among others, that is helping with the new and improved site for the Amanda Tapping Club, yes? I just checked it out and it looks great. Easier to see where everything is, well organized, and a nice layout!
                      sigpic

Comment

season 2 really was hard! but i chose 'in the line of duty' because (for one), it was permanent on sam.

thinking

sally
                        *thinking hard, trying to keep eyes open (cause its 1am)* I think I'd choose DM (that's desperate measures sally ) because not only does it show Sam whumping, and how vulnerable Sam is even back on earth, but it also shows her strength and how hard she works to free herself, only to have to rely on her team. Yea the team works to save one of their own, the most important type of assignment they could ever have
                        (hope I made sense in my sleep deprived state )
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                          I redesigned the AT Club site yes... and thanks for the feedback! It'd be great to see some more Samandan faces over there too!

Myrth could you please put the link up, I kinda lost it
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                            *thinking hard, trying to keep eyes open (cause its 1am)* I think I'd choose DM (that's desperate measures sally ) because not only does it show Sam whumping, and how vulnerable Sam is even back on earth, but it also shows her strength and how hard she works to free herself, only to have to rely on her team. Yea the team works to save one of their own, the most important type of assignment they could ever have
                            (hope I made sense in my sleep deprived state )
                            thanks for answering, mandy.

what would be sam's repercussions from this episode in her life, though? physical problems (from the testing on her)? mental problems (from being kidnapped and literally tortured *and then almost murdered*)?

with 'in the line of duty', sam was stuck with the memories and physical 'gifts' left behind.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

thinking

Desperate Measures, for certain. As Sky so aptly put it months ago - the way that they had Sam popping right up and walking around like nothing had happened after they got her out of that lab... And it was ill-fitting that the end of the show was everyone clustered around hurt Jack - with Sam apparently A-OK, as if nothing had ever happened to her.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                I'm not really sure what role she plays other than it's a bumbling detective according to Amanda; however, if it is Detective Burns, then I'm pretty sure it's not a huge part.

Spoiler:

I've read the sides for that part and it appears to have been originally written as a male detective. It will be interesting to see how Amanda played the part.
                                When watching "Engaged to Kill" it may be a game of spotting who has not been on Stargate in the movie. Beside Amanda, you have Paul McGillion (SGA) and then a host of people that have been in one or more episode of Stargate - Peter DeLuise, Daniella Evangelista, Bryce Hodgson, Katharine Isabelle, Anne Marie Loder, and Dominic Zamprogna all have credit listing in the movie and have been in either SG-1 or SGA.
                                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X