Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    I gotta tell you I am so torn here.

It's between In the Line of Duty and Matter of Time.

To understand my dilemma, you must first know that ITLOD was my very first Stargate SG-1 episode. EVER.

I saw this blonde woman, clearly a soldier, clearly very strong and well respected by her friends and co workers and yet she was emotionally torn to shreds by a Tok'ra named Jolinar...and I was hooked into the show. Plus HEY LOOK! It's MacGyver and man does he look hot.

I loved how dark Jolinar was. Her certainty of her fate. Her begging O'Neill to please listen to her. Her desperation to reach Daniel by using her knowledge of where Sha're was. ANYTHING. But she knew it was a lost cause. She knew because she saw pieces of Sam's thoughts. But you know, I've wondered about this too. It wasn't like a typical blending for a Tok'ra of course so Sam probably fought as much as she could tooth and nail. And wouldn't you? Your mind suddenly invaded by a parasitical being that you recognize as being your people's biggest foe at that time? What kind of interaction did Sam and Jolinar have do you think? My guess it was fairly limited otherwise Jolinar would have known to have trusted the Tauri...that they were in fact allies against the Goa'uld...that if they had trusted each other, things could have played out differently.

Amanda was just so stunning in this role. Her ability to emote with her facial expressions are just second to none. Just see any screen cap from the episodes when she's not herself like in ITLOD and they are completely distinguishable from the typical look that Sam has. This is true of her AU's or of Replicarter...but really noticable when she was Jolinar.

Now the thing is, ITLOD isn't really a "Sam" episode as much as it is an "Amanda" episode...because really, we only saw Sam at the very beginning as she desperately tried to save that man using mouth to mouth and then at the very end when she realizes Jolinar sacrificed herself for her. And then of course that heart rending scene with Cassie at the very end.

See, I have that emotional attachment of it being my first SG-1 episode on top of everything else.

But then there's A Matter of Time.

Sam giving orders. Sam explaining wormholes to Jack using an apple...man, that's just adoreable. Sam being fascinated by something that she's never seen before (getting caught up in the science and momentarily forgetting the human element). Sam getting angry at the brains who just wanted to blow up the problem because they couldn't explain it. Sam and Teal'c moments. Sam figuring things out. Sam helping Teal'c save O'Neill from the wormhole.

And can we forget...Sam and her pastry!

This is a really great Sam episode. So much highlighted about the character. Her smarts, her compassion, her strength of will, her friendship.

And did I mention the pastry?

So hopefully you see my dilemma. Do I choose an "Amanda" episode to which I hole a great deal of sentimental value or do I choose an incredible "Sam" episode?

Someone help me out here.

Easy-Go with A Matter of Time.

I'm biased you say? Well. Yeah. I am.

I loved ITLOD too. But the reason I didn't really consider it for 'best Sam episode of Season 2' was because it was more of a Jolinar episode. And despite the far-reaching consequences for the character, and how AT stole the epiosde, it wasn't Sam we were seeing. I'd so vote for it for best AT episode. (Hey! We should do that when we're done with Sam eps. Have a best AT tourny. See what differences there are.)

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      One of the things I love about Sam is that she's without question, incredibly intelligent and strong and compassionate...but also she's fallible.

She makes mondo mistakes just like the rest of us. She has areas of her life where she excels and other parts of her life where she, well, has issues...but through it all she doesn't grovel. She doesn't stew in the choices that she makes, good or bad.

That doesn't mean she doesn't second guess herself or that she doesn't acknowledge her mistakes or feel bad about them...but she does not allow herself the chance to wallow. She gets up, brushes herself off and endeavors to not make the same mistake again. She learns from her mistakes but doesn't dwell on them.

The first instance of her "messing up" has to be Solitudes. She was angry with herself for not getting Jack home. He was torn up physically and she felt like she let him down by not coming through. (Of course I always wondered why not try more than one address, but then that would have ended the story before it began).

I loved her anger and her passion. She was determined to get things to work out to the point of falling apart by over working herself. She knew there was a simple solution but at the same time was just too tired and worn out to think beyond the obvious.

What other examples can you think of Sam messing up and kicking herself? It's one of my favorite attributes of her character because it shows she's not perfect after all...but she is a heroine none the less because she doesn't allow herself to wallow in self pity.
      Excellent point.

One thing I like about 'Gemini' is that Sam makes a mistake and trusts Replicarter - and that that mistake had consequences later - I thought that it made a lot of sense for her to have a bit of a blind side where she was concerned, and that she would need to believe that her double wasn't evil.

'Red Sky' was another good one. It would definitely have been interesting to see what would have happened if the Ktau planet had been destroyed.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
        Me too
        Spoiler:

Astro it is good to have you back posting and I for one hope we will be see more of you in the future. While I have not been crazy about S9 I have not disliked it as much as some here have. I am one of those glass half ful kind of people. But at the same time do understand people needed to vent their frustrations with the show and how things are going for a favorite or well liked character.

I think one of the things that really made a difference with the original team was the personal relationship/chemestry between the cast. I have heard Amanda, Michael, and Chris all talked about auditioning for the show and how they first meet each other at the auditions. They each tell the story in a very similar way. How they gravitated to each other in the audition waiting room. Amanda and Michael shared a cab back to the hotel they were staying at after the audition. They all just clicked from the get go. I do think they are all friends and have almost a brother and sister relationship. You hear the boys talk about Amanda at times as being a sister. Chris and Michael are very good friends. I saw them at a con together once and they had a good time teasing each other and they helped each other out. When Michael had a fan that was getting to be a bit much for him Amanda stuck her head under the curtain to joke with him and then Amanda and Chris joined Michael on stage. They fielded the guys question together and joked with each other. In Vancouver when Amanda was at our table for breakfast I said something about comic con and made an offhanded comment about the questions asked there and Amanda went yeah that guy from TV guide was something else even Chris leaned over and said can you believe this guy. We have heard in interviews how Amanda felt a bit off when she first went back to work after having Olivia. The season had started filming, they had new cast members that have a different style about them and it was a different year for her. There were a few glimmers of nice moments between the team toward the end of the season. Hopefully as the cast has adjusted to the changes in personel we will see that extra spark that was missing reapper. Think about in the 8 years prior the most we had was Michael leaving for a year and Corin coming in so one cast change. Don leaving and RDA's position changing but he was still there. Teryl leaving but the role of a Dr because a smaller role and the guest of the week type. In S9 you had 2 new main leads 1 major recurring and 1 lead out for 5 episodes. That has got to do a bit to the cast dynamic.

Yes I do realize that the writing has not been as good. Even with better cast dynamics if the writing/stories do not get better this season then no mater how good the cast it will not mean much. I guess I'm just hopeful that as the cast jells better then those unscripted jewels that have happened over the years will happen again and we will start caring more about all the characters not just a few of them.

Well I have rattled on enough and I have to be on the platform in 5 hours with 2 services at church in the morning and then 2 shows at the theatre tomorrow so I had better get to bed. I will leave you with a few old con pics

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...y/MSAT2004.jpg http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9.../ATMS20042.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...CJATMS2004.jpg
        http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...y/CjAt2004.jpg
        Awesome story, thank you! That was really nice to hear (and see). I've never heard either about the con, or about their auditions. Thanks for sharing that.

And excellent Maj. Davis love too.

Comment

I'm a long time lurker in this thread and as such feel free to ignore this post, it's not ment to offend or to defend anyone, but as someone who's been popping in and enjoying this thread for a long time it saddens me this recent upeavel. In my oppinion this happens because people are forgetting some things.
          First and foremost this is a Sam Carter appreciation thread, so if people came and post how great X or Y or Z caracter is and is so good for the show and by the way they think Carter is good too, maybe they should post that on the X or Y or Z caracter thread and post here why they think Carter is good. And it may also explain why then there is a backlash agains said X, Y or Z caracter if those kind of posts keep going on.

This is not a anti anyone thread but it is a pro Sam thread and if people perceive other caracters are or will threaten Sam's role on the team/ series then that is a valid concern. If people think that S9 was not a very good season for Sam and therefor they didn't enjoy it, surely that is on topic regardless of why they didn't like it.

About likening the anti posts with the pro-ship posts,I have to disagree. Well first ship involves Sam so it is on topic and secondly it has been adressed on the show either directly or indirectly and been hinted at from S1 wether we like it or not . It tptb have Sam kissing A b or C in either this reality or another then it's part of the show and the caracther is it not ?

But mostly every post should be respectfull . People are always going to disagree about things, just remember what you have in common, in this case your love for the caracter of Sam Carter and the actor that portrays her.

And finally, trolls are a side effect on the net and just like to stir the pot, some times ignoring it is the best option

jmo

Comment

Jack: I swear Carter, it laid an easter egg that big

Happy Easter Samanda
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

You know, Mandy, what with Sam and the bottle in her mouth and Jack with the size indication, I had some very un-PG captions running through my head. Bad Tracy.
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                You know, Mandy, what with Sam and the bottle in her mouth and Jack with the size indication, I had some very un-PG captions running through my head. Bad Tracy.
                And now I'm going to go scrub my brain with bleach. Thanks, TJ!

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                  And now I'm going to go scrub my brain with bleach. Thanks, TJ!
                  Sorry, Shipper alert

Comment

*Sam pours bottle over TJ's head* Hey it's Easter, no un-PG thoughts
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                      Well, right off the top of my head, there is Meridian (written by RCC ). Sam offers to try and help Daniel with the Goa'uld healing device, fails miserably, and freaks out, all in the span of 15 seconds. It takes Dr. Frasier no time at all to stabilize Daniel, but Sam goes through that whole train of emotions before Janet is even done. In fact, the whole scene takes no time at all, but adds so much meaning to the episode and so much to all the characters.

That'll do for a start.
                      which they've never touched on since. I don't think sam has even touched the healing device since then.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        *Sam pours bottle over TJ's head* Hey it's Easter, no un-PG thoughts
                        lol. going to go and watch upgrades and divide and conquer, and eats loads of chocolate easter eggs

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_girl
                          lol. going to go and watch upgrades and divide and conquer, and eats loads of chocolate easter eggs
                          I might do the Upgrades and Divide and Conquer thing, but I can't join in on the Easter Eggs. It's the downside to living alone.

Comment

I might do the Upgrades and Divide and Conquer thing, but I can't join in on the Easter Eggs. It's the downside to living alone.
                            awww, well i have a few, guess thats what you get when you have such a large family like me. i love upgrades and divide and conquer, great sam episodes and jack and sam ship thrown in too. perfect.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Let's try this

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...57#post5166857

The Samanda Whinge Nuts

Where folks can go to whine, rant, rave, complain, vent....whatever.

If we want to DISCUSS coop's potential to make something we enjoy, we can do it in Samanda

but when we want to just vent....we'll go there.

hopefully find a compromise and a way to keep samanda fun while still giving folks a chance to whinge about anything they want to whinge about....the price of gas, the lack of chocolate in the refrigerator....whatever they want
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Here you go TJ
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X