Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Sky. We were given a lot of promising information about Sam last season and it turned out to be worthless in my opinion. We were told how Sam had several episodes where she would play a key role and yet what did we get? Babysitter Sam. Forgive me, but they had an entire year to show me that they really hadn't forgotten how to write for Sam and from the spoilers I have seen so far for S10... it's looking like a repeat of Season 9 to me. Lots of Vala with Daniel playing her sidekick, a new added twist of Adria, and very little Sam or Teal'c.

So unless the writers pull a rabbit out of their hat, I seriously doubt their is much they could do to make me utterly excited. In fact the only thing at this point in time that I'm even looking forward to is the return of RDA, but sadly Origin already proved to me that TPTB are more than capable of destroying that for me as well.

Is there a possibility for great interaction for Sam/Vala? Yes. Do I expect to see any? NO! Honestly, I have a feeling that the reason RCC feels that they did a good job keeping a balance between all of the characters in season nine is because they may have actually written some decent scenes for Sam, but they are all still lying on the cutting room floor in order to toss in more boring crap with the ORI, CGI fight scenes or Mitchell showing us how cool he is and I really don't see this changing next season with Vala becoming a member of the team.

Sadly, I don't really believe you would be disappointed if Sam's screen time was cut in order to allow for more scenes of Vala, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt. In fact should a miracle actually occur and I am wrong in my assumption that Vala/Mitchell will once again monopolize the season, then I will make a public apology to you and TPTB. However, until that time you will have to forgive me if I don't seem the least bit interested in all the great things RCC has to say about Vala and S10, because at this point in time his opinion means very little to me.

Tried to green you.

Mean GW won't let me.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      i think it does too, and that's something that i'm *immensely* grateful for!

(i'm also *extremely* grateful for s/j ship for season 10! )

whatever's going on behind the scenes right now, i'm very glad for. if they're realizing how important sam/amanda is to not only the fans, but the franchise, then YAY! no snarky comebacks or told you so's, just... gratefulness that it's happening.

sally

GRRRRRR. I'm not allowed to green ANYONE tonight, it seems. Pretend green for you then, Sally.

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      I was watching Paradise Lost and something funny occured to me during one scene.
      Black= actual dialogue
      Red= added my own dialogue

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9...stgroup1wb.jpg

Tokra (off screen): To whom am I speaking with
      Hammond: I'm General Hammond with me are Major Carter, Teal'c and Jonas Quinn
      Chevron Guy: Hey! I'm here too, what am I invisible? No one ever sees me around here.
      LOL, poor Walter. Even when he's been remembered, and hailed for being so forgotten he gets called Chevron Guy!

Comment

I'll just weigh in with my 2 cents now that I've had a chance to read all the comments.

I think it is very natural that this Sam/AT thread would have a bit of negativity today after the posting of the RCC interview and the BW little tidbit, and I feel that it is appropriate to let off some steam in this thread. The beauty of this thread is that fans monitor each other when we go a bit further astray than maybe we should at times. But I think the RCC interview was a "normal" catalyst for raising the ire (sp?) of Sam fans (and fans of Daniel and Teal'c too).

The negative side of the interview for me is that RCC doesn't hint at having a clue of any problems with the show; when he discusses character development it is about Mitchell, Vala, and Landry; he doesn't in the least acknowledge the leadership issue; he doesn't give fans of the original three much hope for our worst fears; in fact, perhaps it is Teal'c that we should be most concerned about, given his comments about how Vala can be unpredictable like Teal'c used to be.

But here are a few positives: he did, gasp, mention Carter (but I too don't want Carter to be Vala's sidekick any more than I want Daniel to continue to be Vala's sidekick)---I think it was RCC's way of saying something to the effect that Vala will not replace Carter (hopefully she won't be replacing Teal'c); the spoilers come from casting sides so that they don't reveal everything about the episode (so at this point about what we know, Sam is not interacting as much with guest actors as much as Vala and Daniel are); and I like Deejay's point about how in advertising AT is a bit more in the forefront again.

I think that unfortunately RCC sounds like he will continue down the same path as season 9---but I hold out a little hope that this is not so. By the way, I thought RCC was referring to the written season 10 episodes so far when he was talking about doing a pretty good job of balance with the (now) six leads. If they continue down the same path, I predict there won't be a renewal because of continued loss of fans. The Sam fanbase and Daniel fanbase are quite large---if they mess with those characters (and they may), then the ratings will continue to go down, IMO.

I too thought it was very ironic that they are going to focus on more character development in Atlantis (and I think they really need to), but RCC didn't mention anything about this problem in SG-1. Like golfbooy said, Atlantis ratings actually are a bit worrisome, and if they want this show to continue for awhile, then it needs to grab the viewers more than it is now. But the same holds for SG-1 now, sadly. The chemistry is very rough in the "new" SG-1 at this point---good character interactions/moments are desperately needed---but as golfbooy said, maybe they don't care as much if SG-1 isn't renewed, compared to Atlantis.

I also thought it was interesting that SG-1 and Atlantis only got nominated for 1 Leo this year, compared to I think 16 or 18 last year. What a difference--I wonder how that is received? I didn't expect that AT would get nominated this year because she really wasn't given enough to work with this year, but I did expect MS to get nominated because I felt that he got a good role in the first several episodes. I actually was rooting for David Hewlitt. But besides the actors, the Stargate shows also got nominated for alot of things last year--not so this time.

So, Spaz and AD--perhaps you are right that the thread went a bit in one direction thanks to the RCC interview, but it always seems to find balance again, don't you think?

And Sky, even the thought of you leaving this thread is unbearable.
        Last edited by chocdoc; 15 April 2006, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Simha - great short fic. You should post it at GW's fanfic archive - and at Fanfiction.net.

Comment

I think part of the problem is that we've grown too large for one thread (actually two threads, if you count the off topic one). Some of the discussion that is taking place in here, probably would be better suited to a new thread. But the problem with making a new thread here on Gateworld is that it gets lost in all the clutter. Perhaps we could look at alternate options?

Comment

I was watching Women's Television Network (W) and they were just doing a short interlude on their list of the top ten femme fatale (action hero) roles in the movie genre.

Angelina Jolie took the number one spot for her role of Lara Croft in Tomb Raider. What she said spoke SO STRONGLY of Sam Carter, I just had to run online and post a fly-by.

Here's the transcription:
              "She's not trying to be a man. She's very comfortable being a woman. She's not using her sexuality to manipulate. I don't think of her as a woman in a man's role at all, I just think that women can be really strong action heroes, too." - Angelina Jolie (on "Lara Croft" of the TOMB RAIDER movie series)

ZING!

Get out that notepad, RCC!

mini(the laughing maniacally)geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                I think part of the problem is that we've grown too large for one thread (actually two threads, if you count the off topic one). Some of the discussion that is taking place in here, probably would be better suited to a new thread. But the problem with making a new thread here on Gateworld is that it gets lost in all the clutter. Perhaps we could look at alternate options?
                There's always the possibility of having a "second home", rather like the Sam/Jack shippers have their home from home at Intel.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  ok,kids

those of you that haven't voted for hte best sam eps of s2,, WHY NOT?????

and those of you that have....why did you vote for what you voted for??

i'm not saying 'justify' it, i'm just asking, why? what made ________ episode the best one for sam for you?
                  Good question. I shall answer this, then off to bed.

I voted for A Matter of Time. I LOVED Sam in this episode.
                  • We got to see in full problem-solving mode. We got to watch how her mind works SO much faster than everyone else around her.
                  • We got to see a bit of her fault-that she sometimes lets Science blind her to other things. And we got to watch the great expression on her face when Jack snapped at her, reminding her of the people side. Great bit of acting by AT.
                  • We got to see Sam explaining science via food. First it was with the apple with Jack, then with the donut with Hammond. Cute.
                  • We got to hear Jack say "She's way smarter than us."
                  • Sam solved the problem, saved the day, and DID NOT stay upstairs where it was safe-even though she could have leftafter she calibrated the bomb-it didn't appear that even crossed her mind, even as she was ordering others out.
                  • I love this episode for non-Sam reasons too. I love the visuals in this episode. I love the scene in the gateroom with the smoke spiraling toward the gate, I love Sam standing at the end of the ramp and holding her dogtags out and watching them be pulled into the gate.
                  • Love the concern Sam, Jack, and Teal'c all show for one another through the episode. And Sam finding the 'silver lining' to Earth possibly being destroyed as "Well, at least Daniel will live."
                  • I like the Teal'c and Sam interactions up on the surface-just being friends, and Teal'c just being there for her.
                  • I'll admit it-I have a soft spot for Major Davis. <G>

I like making lists.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                    "She's not trying to be a man. She's very comfortable being a woman. She's not using her sexuality to manipulate. I don't think of her as a woman in a man's role at all, I just think that women can be really strong action heroes, too." - Angelina Jolie (on "Lara Croft" of the TOMB RAIDER movie series)

ZING!

that is soooo sam. and that's what i like about her.

See, i work with guys. always have worked in a male dominated work place. That's how TV is on the local level, other than reporters, very male domianted.

and i see how men think of adn treat the women that don't behave like sam. They don't respect them. They enjoy the scenery, enjoy the flirting, even enjoy the, ahem, fringe benefits, but they don't respect them at all.

they DO respect women like Sam. Women that don't trade on thier genders or use them as calling cards or crutches. Women that are simply women second, and the job first.

that has always been the best part about sam. She's a soldier/officer/charactrer that happens to be a woman.

not a female that happens to be a soldier/officer/character
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      that is soooo sam. and that's what i like about her.

See, i work with guys. always have worked in a male dominated work place. That's how TV is on the local level, other than reporters, very male domianted.

and i see how men think of adn treat the women that don't behave like sam. They don't respect them. They enjoy the scenery, enjoy the flirting, even enjoy the, ahem, fringe benefits, but they don't respect them at all.

they DO respect women like Sam. Women that don't trade on thier genders or use them as calling cards or crutches. Women that are simply women second, and the job first.

that has always been the best part about sam. She's a soldier/officer/charactrer that happens to be a woman.

not a female that happens to be a soldier/officer/character
                      YES. it takes a darn long time to earn it in some cases (with some people), and you have to be twice as good as the guys, but it does happen (something i'm not great at doing in all fields). and when it does, they...look at you differently. sam's done this so well for so long...it amazes me. (have i mentioned lately how much i loved that chip on her shoulder in CotG?) she's kept me from getting...loud...on more than one occasion.
                      sigpic
                      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                        There's always the possibility of having a "second home", rather like the Sam/Jack shippers have their home from home at Intel.
                        Wait a second.

Hold on.

Everybody take a deep breath.

In good air. Out bad air.

OK, look. I see what AD is saying, totally. I see what Coley (et al) is saying. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. There's a blurred line here.

Correct me if I'm crazy but here goes.

1. This is generally the POSITIVE Sam Carter thread. (check)

2. This thread is for any and all posts about Sam Carter which may occasionally contain tangential content, so long as the post and the tangential content is related in some way to Sam Carter, the tangent is fair game. (check)

3. Posts SOLELY about anti-season (whatever) or SOLELY about anti or pro (Vala, Cam, RCC, whomever) are completely OT and should not end up here. (check)

4. Posts related to a negative (OR) positive feeling about season (whatever), or about character (whatever) which have a specific relationship to the the SAM CARTER character, ARE NOT OT (whether negative or positive), and have every right to end up here vis-a-vis their relation to Sam Carter. (check)

Ergo...

1. A PRO or CON commentary about RCC's quote and its potential imact on Carter's character as a piece of season (whatever) as a whole should be fine.

2. A PRO or CON commentary about RCC's quote and Vala and Cam and their relationship to Carter's character as a portion of season (whatever) as a whole should be fine.

3. A PRO or CON commentary about RCC's quote and (whatever else) which is NOT specifically related to the Sam Carter character, is not on topic, is not fine, and has no place in this thread.

Broader Scope:

A PRO or CON commentary about ANYTHING SG-1 related with a relationship to the Sam Carter character is fair game (including frustration with current season or writing for said character and/or joy and love for same)

A PRO or CON commentary about anything NOT RELATED to Sam Carter's character is NOT fair game and should go in another thread (including frustration with current season or writing in general for the show and/or joy or love for same - or for any OTHER character other than Sam, without relating that post, in some way, to Sam).

So... problem? I see no problem. We stick to the program, we all keep smilin' - no agendas, no censorship, no argument unrelated to topic. We stick to Sam Carter, whatever our related tangent, we stay happy Samandans ... no?

All we may need now is a little bit of impartial moderation to keep things ona Sam Carter track for a bit, methinks. Given everyone is guilty of the OT monster from time to time. There ain't no such thing as a topic-saint among us.

Sam Carter thread. Sam Carter discission. In every post. It ain't there, it ain't a Sam Carter post. C'est ca!
                        It's all good. Isn't it?

-

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

That's exactly how I see Carter too Mini... and her place is rightfully hers, she didn't manipulate, cheat or steal to get there.. she damn well worked for it and the same can be said for Amanda who has damn well worked hard to make her so.

I was watching Women's Television Network (W) and they were just doing a short interlude on their list of the top ten femme fatale (action hero) roles in the movie genre.

Angelina Jolie took the number one spot for her role of Lara Croft in Tomb Raider. What she said spoke SO STRONGLY of Sam Carter, I just had to run online and post a fly-by.

ZING!

sigpic

Comment

OK, look. I see what AD is saying, totally. I see what Coley (et al) is saying. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. There's a blurred line here.
                            <snipage>
                            hey!! what about amanda?
                            sigpic
                            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                              People like to expound on what's frustrating them. There's been a lot of venting lately.. but it's no one person's fault. Not even FH who admitedly is stirring the pot. It would be good if we can try to balance the negativity with positivity and on the whole that does happen. People rant, others say enough, the ranting ceases for a bit. And so it goes.
                              Well said, Myrth. Chopingal and I call it 'self-correcting'; that is, the thread swings one way or the other a bit too far and we call each other on it.

The Sam Episode polls are a great positive discussion generator.

As are recs for good solid Samfics.

As are photographics when posted.

And links to other sites with Carter/AT pics and articles.

etc.

I have to admit that the single biggest reason that I've been missing from this thread over the past 6 months isn't actually because of a lack of time (although that hasn't helped), it's because I have been so disappointed with how Season 9 developed. I was completely flabbergasted when they wrote Carter out of command and brought in the new guy to replace not so much Jack as much as RDA (the big-name lead and show star). I wasn't happy with how little Carter got to command SG-1 in Season 8, and I had such warm, fuzzy hopes for Season 9. I really thought they were going to do such great team episodes with Carter at the helm of the team - and with a new guy on board for her to have a subordinate on the team. I didn't expect the show to revolve around Carter... but I never in my wildest imagination considered that they were actually going to go the way that they have with the show. So, Season 9 was a *huge* disappointment in terms of how I envisioned SG-1 and Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and the new guy (who we now know is Lt. Col. Mitchell). I basically went into disappointed 'lurk mode' because I was afraid to voice the depth of my feelings.

There have always been folks on this thread who have 'seen the glass as half full'... and as much as I was (am) deeply offended at how Carter has been treated, I did not want to spread my anger and venom on this thread very much. I didn't want to 'make other folks' glasses leak'.... The increase in posts that express dismay and anger at how Season 9 turned out have resonated strongly with me - and I have agreed with so many of them.

That said, Agent Dark and the Dancer of Spaz are correct -- we've gone a bit too far into the 'angry' and we need some positive comments and discussions for balance.

I was hoping that my suggestion for folks to post their favorite pics of Carter from Season 2 episodes would be a way for some positive feelings to start making their way back into things.
                              Originally posted by astrogeologist
                              If folks are interested, I think it would be cool to create a collection of Carter screen-caps for each episode. The pics can be either cool Science!Sam, Soldier!Sam, Funny!Sam, Cute!Sam, or Sam playing in a definitive scene with another character. The pics can epitomize the episode, or can be stand-alone cool pics.

This pic collection would be posted here... and, if I have time, I'll collect them into the PDF file.

Lys's pics are a great starting point, and I think tsaxlady did something similar a few months ago (shoot me the link to the posts, if you remember where they are tsax).

If folks are interested, then start posting cool Carter pics from Season 2 (to go along with the latest Season 2 Best Carter Episode Poll that Lys and Sky are running). Make sure that you cite the episode (there are lots of folks on the forum who can ID the episode from a single screen shot, but I, alas, am not one of them )
                              And here's something about one of Lys' pics that I've been meaning to ask folks:
                              Originally posted by Lys
                              -Bane:

Spoiler:
                              Now, doesn't AT look just like Lucille Ball in that photo?

That photo just makes me laugh!
                              Last edited by astrogeologist; 15 April 2006, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                                Just so we don't have another festival of negative posts regarding those who post negative thoughts, since I'm told that a bunch of negative posts on a subject or character or person(s) can add up to a perception of bashing that subject / character / person(s), and we wouldn't want to be perceived to bash the less than positive posters, would we? Or would we? (I dunno about that, myself, after some of the previous 'I hate it when it's so negative and it makes me not want to come here and this is my happy place and that ruins it for me' fests we've had hereabouts. Why didn't they constitute bashing, too?) At least I found the 'they must not want / like / understand / deserve the Sam character if they X, Y, and Z' posts to be more closely related to topic than the 'I'm going to talk about Vala regardless' posts. But, that's just me.

It's difficult - I personally cannot tolerate a diet of pure "sweetness and light," on any subject. Sugar does for my blood pressure, literally and figuratively. And, I've always found pessimism to be a much more sustainable viewpoint, since all the surprises are pleasant thereafter. But, again, that's just me.

Perhaps, when things seem to be going off topic, or, in a direction that individuals find uncomfortable, those individuals need to raise a finger / issue a direct and unambiguous "We're getting off-topic / negative-cumulating-to-bashing / saying too many bad things about Q / overdosing on the S/J-S/J-S/V-S/P-S/T-S/D-whatever-relationship-capsizes-your-boat" warning to the thread before things get "too bad" for those individuals to tolerate. Taking the thread to task after the fact certainly and demonstrably doesn't keep pages of those painful posts from having happened, and neither do notices and warnings whose very gentility and/or opacity allows those who have the bit in thier teeth to avoid the poster's meaning and intent. Those who find the nature of the discussion herein becoming uncomfortable for, any reason, may need to consider forthright and frank - which need not be rude, negative, mean, et cetera - mention of that fact before things become intolerably painful for them.

Therefore, please, allow me to beg those who dislike where the thread had ended up to take on the responsibility of saying "Hey - things are trending too much toward the _____, folks - could we knock back the XXXXX a notch, before we end up in _____?" before we find ourselves in the middle of _____ in the future? Please?

After all - those who are incurably negative, of whom I am one , are hardly qualified, from a logical standpoint, to estimate the negativity tolerance of those who don't "do" negativity, are we? We need to know we're causing discomfort before we cause pain.

Please?
                                Simha - you are such a jewel - and you have such a literary gift! Don't you ever stop posting at the SaGC Thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X