No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've updated the CarterCoolPics Collection to include a few more photographics that have been posted lately. I tried to get some of the cool animated gifs that some folks have posted, but they don't display the rotating pics in the pdf file (rats).

Also included most of the Snarkgate posts (I know that I missed some, and I apologize to whomever's snarky quips were missed).

Also included Lys's Carterpics for Season One and Season Two.

And also included a few of the cool Sam-positive comments that have been posted lately.

--------

If folks are interested, I think it would be cool to create a collection of Carter screen-caps for each episode. The pics can be either cool Science!Sam, Soldier!Sam, Funny!Sam, Cute!Sam, or Sam playing in a definitive scene with another character. The pics can epitomize the episode, or can be stand-alone cool pics.

This pic collection would be posted here... and, if I have time, I'll collect them into the PDF file.

Lys's pics are a great starting point, and I think tsaxlady did something similar a few months ago (shoot me the link to the posts, if you remember where they are tsax).

If folks are interested, then start posting cool Carter pics from Season 2 (to go along with the latest Season 2 Best Carter Episode Poll that Lys and Sky are running). Make sure that you cite the episode (there are lots of folks on the forum who can ID the episode from a single screen shot, but I, alas, am not one of them )

Comment

Wow it took me a while to catch up, had to take a pee break (see I can do RCC humour too )

I have to say I saw part of an interview on The View, with Gina Davis (to para phrase) she said TV needed more good, strong female lead characters. Now SG1 was a head of its time, it had/had one of the most intelligent, strongest female lead characters on TV for about 8 seasons, then took 1 hugestep backwards to take this character away from us and put her in the back ground. We need Sam in the forefront again to show how strong and intelligent women characters can and should be portrayed.

Oh yea and please send some of that Tequilla and tissues this way
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
        I have to say I saw part of an interview on The View, with Gina Davis (to para phrase) she said TV needed more good, strong female lead characters. Now SG1 was a head of its time, it had/had one of the most intelligent, strongest female lead characters on TV for about 8 seasons, then took 1 hugestep backwards to take this character away from us and put her in the back ground. We need Sam in the forefront again to show how strong and intelligent women characters can and should be portrayed.
        It's sad that TPTB seem to be actively trying to destroy their own creation and push her as far into the background as possible.

They crafted one of the finest female characters I have ever seen, wrote her as a strong, capable leader and soldier, as well as a brilliant scientist and a compassionate human being, then deliberately downgraded her.

It does not reflect well on them.

The excuse that they don't know what to do with Sam is pathetic - have they even tried? Look at fanfic, I've seen some great stories there so the authors evidently have no such difficulty.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
          Maybe not post, not yet, perhaps in July after season 10 starts, but some nice hi-res screencaps from Beachhead, Ex Deus Machina and Babylon when my copy of season 9 vol. 2 DVD arrives in less than 2 weeks now
          tell ya what FH, why don't you tell us what it is about the Sam Carter character that you love? i presume you do love (or at least like! ) the character since you pop up here from time to time.

and regarding your post about what are the best sam episodes to check out, i made a list for you (i think it was you) the last time you stopped by, maybe the time before that, when i similar request was made. i think you said that you hadn't gotten into the earlier seasons, or didn't like sam because you didn't see her before season 9 or something.

whatever, i made a list of episodes to check out, so if you want you can just search for posts made by me in this thread, and you should find it in there somewhere.

hope this makes it easier for you to join in with the sam love.

Comment

i was lying in bed this morning and started thinking about some of rob cooper's decisions. then i remembered this one scene from (i can't remember the name of the ep, but here's the spoiler space that'll give you the details... )

Spoiler:
            it was when general hammond visited the base, and he was addressing sg1 and thanked mitchell for getting the band back together...

i remembered the moment i heard that, i thought it was nuts! why on earth would hammond call sg1 'the band'?

i felt that the reason 'the band' was used, was because saying 'thanks for getting sg1 back together again' would only emphasize that they AREN'T sg1. why? because a- jack's no longer there (it just feels like he's missing), and b- mitchell doesn't belong (my feelings).

but i do think sg1 'could' be sg1 again -even without jack- but not when mitchell is still tagging along. and as for vala now being added to the team...

chants: i have rda/jack coming back and s/j ship to look forward too!... i have rda/jack and s/j ship to look forward too!... i have rda/jack coming back and s/j ship to look forward too!... i have rda/jack coming back and s/j ship to look forward too!... 100x more

rant brought to you by, Rob Cooper's New Gateworld Interview. [parts and accessories sold separately]

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Arrrg I tried to read RCC's interview, but I can't get past that taste of bile rising from my throat.

I think the worse thing that happened to SG was RDA leaving as executive producer, they could have managed without his character, but his influence as a PTB as well as his partner (not to good at knowing who's who among TPTB) kept the show in line and the characters as the important part of the show.

The second worse thing that happened was SGA, it put too much on the PTB to write and direct 2 shows. I think they want SG1 to end so they can have their SGA ( their new toy ) heaven forbid, now if SG1 does get cancelled, they might push Vala onto SGA.

Anyway the way things are looking come July I'll be watching my reruns of SG1 S1-8. I'll give S10 a try, but I have a bad feeling

So will people still be using this thread if SG1 ends
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                Sky, why are you so sure of this? You sound like you actually have read all season 10 scripts. We already saw in Beachhead that Vala actually showed respect towards Sam. Also their short interaction in Crusade looks very positive. I don't believe at all that Vala will even try to humiliate Sam. I really hope for an interesting relationship developed between them in season 10.
                I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Sky. We were given a lot of promising information about Sam last season and it turned out to be worthless in my opinion. We were told how Sam had several episodes where she would play a key role and yet what did we get? Babysitter Sam. Forgive me, but they had an entire year to show me that they really hadn't forgotten how to write for Sam and from the spoilers I have seen so far for S10... it's looking like a repeat of Season 9 to me. Lots of Vala with Daniel playing her sidekick, a new added twist of Adria, and very little Sam or Teal'c.

So unless the writers pull a rabbit out of their hat, I seriously doubt their is much they could do to make me utterly excited. In fact the only thing at this point in time that I'm even looking forward to is the return of RDA, but sadly Origin already proved to me that TPTB are more than capable of destroying that for me as well.

Is there a possibility for great interaction for Sam/Vala? Yes. Do I expect to see any? NO! Honestly, I have a feeling that the reason RCC feels that they did a good job keeping a balance between all of the characters in season nine is because they may have actually written some decent scenes for Sam, but they are all still lying on the cutting room floor in order to toss in more boring crap with the ORI, CGI fight scenes or Mitchell showing us how cool he is and I really don't see this changing next season with Vala becoming a member of the team.

Sadly, I don't really believe you would be disappointed if Sam's screen time was cut in order to allow for more scenes of Vala, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt. In fact should a miracle actually occur and I am wrong in my assumption that Vala/Mitchell will once again monopolize the season, then I will make a public apology to you and TPTB. However, until that time you will have to forgive me if I don't seem the least bit interested in all the great things RCC has to say about Vala and S10, because at this point in time his opinion means very little to me.
                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 15 April 2006, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  i was lying in bed this morning and started thinking about some of rob cooper's decisions. then i remembered this one scene from (i can't remember the name of the ep, but here's the spoiler space that'll give you the details... )

Spoiler:
                  it was when general hammond visited the base, and he was addressing sg1 and thanked mitchell for getting the band back together...

i remembered the moment i heard that, i thought it was nuts! why on earth would hammond call sg1 'the band'?

i felt that the reason 'the band' was used, was because saying 'thanks for getting sg1 back together again' would only emphasize that they AREN'T sg1. why? because a- jack's no longer there (it just feels like he's missing), and b- mitchell doesn't belong (my feelings).

but i do think sg1 'could' be sg1 again -even without jack- but not when mitchell is still tagging along. and as for vala now being added to the team...

chants: i have rda/jack coming back and s/j ship to look forward too!... i have rda/jack and s/j ship to look forward too!... i have rda/jack coming back and s/j ship to look forward too!... i have rda/jack coming back and s/j ship to look forward too!... 100x more

rant brought to you by, Rob Cooper's New Gateworld Interview. [parts and accessories sold separately]

sally
                  *pats sally on the head* there,there sally...go to your happy place...Sam and Jack sitting on the dock fishing

Spoiler:
                  Oh hell maybe I'll join you
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Erm... What was our motto again? What was it? I think it was Latin or something... Oh yeah... Hic Comitas Regit.

I know I wasn't here when all of these posts were taking place, but I've gotta say that, after catching up on the last 5+ pages, I can't help but feel that the nastiness could be toned down a bit (it could be because I have dial-up, though ).

I don't claim to be a diplomatic person at all, so don't get me wrong: I totally understand where the annoyance is coming from.

Formerhost, I'm not gonna tell you just how disconcerting I find it that you posted for so long off-topic. I think others have said it well enough. I'd like to think you're trying to make friends here, and you're trying to build bridges between the two characters' fanbases. But it's difficult to see where you're coming from, when all you can do is defend RCC and Vala.

On the other hand, while I admit that I agree with most of what's been said, I can't help but feel that the comments that have been made about RCC are a little on the inappropriate side. Again, ya'll know that I'm willing to take a crack at RCC's ego/mentality/lameness any day of the week. It just seems like it's gone on ad infinitum at the expense of upholding the thread's motto.

I'm not going to throw my hands up in the air, whine and stomp away screaming about how I'm not gonna come back here for a while... because I absolutely hate (hate, hate, hate) it when people do that. Did I mention I hate it?

I guess my problem is, being one of the many glass-half-empty kinda gals on this thread, that I find negativity breeds negativity. I personally don't want to contribute to the suppositions, because I know that if I get started, it won't be pretty. I'd like to think that I'm not the only one in that regard.

And no matter how right many of you have been in regards to FH's behavior or RCC's idiocy, there's gotta be a point where we can go on for two or three pages and then move on to the next topic.

Personally, I think we've stayed in the "on topic" range, because the discussion IS about Samantha Carter and Amanda Tapping's utilization. And I'm not one of those people who thinks that it should be all-pro all the time.

I just wonder how necessary it is to lose sight of the "kindness" part of Samanda for such a long time, when a lot of this has been discussed before.

I hope that made sense. Sorry if it seems like I'm lecturing anyone, and please let me know if you any of you think I'm out of line. I just thought we'd covered this issue a few weeks back, and it seems like it's reared its ugly head here again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                      Arrrg I tried to read RCC's interview, but I can't get past that taste of bile rising from my throat.

I think the worse thing that happened to SG was RDA leaving as executive producer, they could have managed without his character, but his influence as a PTB as well as his partner (not to good at knowing who's who among TPTB) kept the show in line and the characters as the important part of the show.

The second worse thing that happened was SGA, it put too much on the PTB to write and direct 2 shows. I think they want SG1 to end so they can have their SGA ( their new toy ) heaven forbid, now if SG1 does get cancelled, they might push Vala onto SGA.

Anyway the way things are looking come July I'll be watching my reruns of SG1 S1-8. I'll give S10 a try, but I have a bad feeling

So will people still be using this thread if SG1 ends
                      i think that people really didn't realise until now the influence that RDA had as an exec. a lot of people seemed to think that it was just an extra paycheck for him.

i think the fact that RDA doesn't get sci fi really helped the show. his influence made the show more than just your average sci fi show. with his loss, and the fact that two of the most influencial people on the show now are a star wars and a star trek fan, sg-1 is still a good show, but only because of the foundation that was built in the first 6 years or so. i still enjoyed seasons 7-8 and to a slightly lesser extent season 9, but i can see the decline.

and a large part of this is through the mistreatment of the sam character. she is still a brilliant character IMO, and proabably still the best female character in sci fi, and one of the best in TV in general, but she has suffered under the guidance of coop.

i think that JM & PM are still the best writers on the show, but they do have to go according to what the boss lays out for them. we know that joe is a sam fan. we know that he has done some good things for her character.

i won't go into my views on coop&vala here unless people want me to. the only connection it has to the topic of this thread is the unbalance and unfair treatment of the other cast members, most especially sam (and teal'c), and it is by no means the actresses fault for this. so on the off chance that CB is a sam fan, and ventures here, then i'll refrain from making my opinions on coop making vala a full time cast member public, just in case they are taken personally.

anyway, RDA's influence IMO, helped to make the characters more interesting, and more believable. and i think that both he, BW and AT deserve an enormous amount of credit for making the sam character so brilliant. (and the other original characters too)

wow. long post.

Comment

Thanks Astro I didn't even notice I got post 36000
                        Wow we must talk a lot
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                          So all we need is for Brad to beta the scripts.
                          I think all they need is for anyone (outside the circle of knuckleheads) to Beta the scripts and things should improve 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                            I keep thinking of what Felger said in 'Avenger 2.0' - "I mean, it probably took the Ancients a thousand years to build the Gate system, and I wrecked it in a single day."

A lot of hard work and talent went into creating Stargate: SG-1, but some bad decisions and mishandling of opportunities could very well bring it to an inglorious end in the not too distant future.
                            This sentiment is soo true for me -I watch what cooper has done to break this once well-written, intelligent, respected, unique, dramatic (with appropriate humor) sci-fi show in a short season and a half (IMO it broke mid-way through S7 just half a season into his tenure and it has careened out of control since then culminating in the twisted, rusted, mess of cliche, caricature and just plain dreck we see now). He has single-handedly taken a strong, lead female character that was respected and made her a pawn in the "a male must lead" nonsense and has made her an almost a throw-away character (along with Daniel and Teal'c) and I resent that.

It also bothers me because I watched many people, good and talented people, work their a$$es off for 8 years making the show, and the characters, intelligent, unique and respected and he basically turned them into every-day run-of-the-mill characters that could be filled by any empty vessel of an actor/character, and he ripped the heart out of the show and the characters in the process, and he did it very quickly -- to satisfy his own gloriously puerile fantasies - what a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                              He has single-handedly taken a strong, lead female character that was respected and made her a pawn in the "a male must lead" nonsense and has made her an almost a throw-away character (along with Daniel and Teal'c) and I resent that.
                              That makes two of us.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                                I really don't think so. I'm no fan of RCC as a showrunner, to be perfectly frank. But....honestly, the recent promos for the Monday night thingies have made me believe that the...what is it you call them? TIIC? TPTB are realizing how vital Sam is to the SG1 mix. She's heavily featured in the promo spots. She has more 'airtime' in these than anyone else. (I'm obsessive, and I've counted each time they're on. Sam always has five little spots where she says something, Daniel and Teal'c have two-but sometimes one has one, and the other two. Mitchell, Landry, and Vala, in any of the times I've seen them, have all only had one.) Each promo spots starts and ends with Sam.

I think that says something.
                                i think it does too, and that's something that i'm *immensely* grateful for!

(i'm also *extremely* grateful for s/j ship for season 10! )

whatever's going on behind the scenes right now, i'm very glad for. if they're realizing how important sam/amanda is to not only the fans, but the franchise, then YAY! no snarky comebacks or told you so's, just... gratefulness that it's happening.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X