Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    So their solution to people being unhappy about the established characters being shoved into the background so that we can all ooh and aah over the new "hero" is to trot out another new character to hog the screentime?

Ooookay...
    yeeah. that's what i said.
    wonder if they like the dropping ratings.
    i've heard them talk about them not being as high as they expected, nothing beyond that. anybody who keeps better track of these things than me wanna share?
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
      yeeah. that's what i said.i've heard them talk about them not being as high as they expected, nothing beyond that. anybody who keeps better track of these things than me wanna share?
      If they're speaking of any kind of decline at all, they must be at least a bit worried.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        RDA was why i tuned in, Sam is why i've kept watching.

Sam is why i started writing fic. When i found helio, i read the whole thing (which, 6 years ago wasn't all that tough i will admit)...and there was a near total lack of sam focused fic. so, after reading some, i thought 'dang, i can do this'....and i did

If Sam wasn't on the show, i woulda turned it off years ago. I was attracted toher loyalty, bravery, honesty and her friendship with the boys. they all respected each other, treated each other well and were a group that i'd love tobe a part of.
        Originally posted by minigeek
        That's so well said. I can't say I tuned in for RDA (I<cough>didn'tlikehisstuffmuchatthetime<cough>), but I can say I got hooked because of the Sam Carter character. She was just so neat to watch, and such a great combination of intelligence, strength and femininity. I hadn't really seen anything like her on television before. Oh, there were other characters that were similar, but Sam Carter had an inner integrity to go along with it all (which likely had a great deal to do with the way AT played/plays her) which ended up being the final draw (so to speak). Were it not for Carter, I'd probably never have given SG-1 more than a few casual (or professional, as the case was as the time) viewings. She really hooked me, and I've been a great big fangurl ever since.

mini
        (the Carter fangurl)geek

-hey, i didn't even know what fangurl MEANT until last year! lol-
        i too can say stayed tuned in (can't honestly remember what got me originally), for sam. she's a wonderful character and as and AF physics geek, she reminded me of...me, except cooler. i love the character, and loved the team, and i loved the show. i miss that.
        Great posts, Skydiver and minigeek and Paradox!
        Last edited by astrogeologist; 15 April 2006, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Sim: what's that cap from?
          Why, that's Sam participating in the zenith and culmination of the ep "Full Alert."

Certainly, full-a something, in my opinion.
          ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

If they're speaking of any kind of decline at all, they must be at least a bit worried.
            them, worried? that would take away from the fun! its fun, people should like it! they must! perhaps they just need to get used to it!

perhaps the moon is made of cheese!
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)

Comment

You want to make sure everyone gets their time in the limelight, and I think we've done a pretty good job of that so far. -RCC
              Oh for the love of meatballs. You have GOT to be kidding me.

Between RCC as showrunner (ha! i first typed 'showfunner') and M&M as the ones doing the bulk of the writing, this show has taken a severe downturn. Remember when JoeM tried to defend Sam's part in FH2 and Collateral Damage? Sad, sad. I remember reading his comments with absolute horrified bafflement. I wanted to say to him, 'Dude. Go take a screenwriting class.'

And it's just going to get worse with yet one more regular. BTW, did it strike anyone else that RCC's comment about the number of 'leads' seemed rather passive -- as if all these 'leads' were not exactly his choice?

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                Why, that's Sam participating in the zenith and culmination of the ep "Full Alert."

Certainly, full-a something, in my opinion.
                :headdesk: gah. i was thinking it had to be in s9! i was like, wait? they had sam in a frame--ALONE? and i MISSED it?!? nooooooooooo!

but s8. that makes more sense.

thanks.
                sigpic

Comment

them, worried? that would take away from the fun! its fun, people should like it! they must! perhaps they just need to get used to it!
                  Perhaps they feel that the season was so fantastic that people were gathering in large groups to watch it and that really ten people were watching when only TV figured in the ratings.

It would take me a heck of a long time to get used to the drivel TPTB produced for Season Nine.

In the unlikely event that I become the first woman to live to be two hundred years old, maybe.

Comment

i think the reason it annoys us now is because it was so natural before. AT, RDA, CJ, and MS were so natural together, and so much of their friendship carried over, even in the early seasons. we've been spoiled by grandmas cookies, and now that she's gone, mom's giving us a boatload of oreos.

Ain't that the truth!! I miss grandma's cookies!!!

Comment

Perhaps they feel that the season was so fantastic that people were gathering in large groups to watch it and that really ten people were watching when only TV figured in the ratings.

It would take me a heck of a long time to get used to the drivel TPTB produced for Season Nine.

In the unlikely event that I become the first woman to live to be two hundred years old, maybe.
                      sad thing is, they may indeed be thinking that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                        And... can anybody make a list for me of THE BEST of Sam's episodes? From all seasons.
                        Why don't you draw from all 9 seasons, and make your own list of "THE BEST" Sam episodes, and tell us why you like each one?

There are no officially sanctioned requirements that any given ep must be regarded as 'the best Sam ep' or the second best, or the worst, or the 83rd best, or whatever, on this thread, y'know.

Comment

sad thing is, they may indeed be thinking that.
                          In that case, Season Ten episodes will need a warning at the beginning - "Abandon hope all ye who view the show."

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                            I too am worried about the lack of Sam in season 10 - but to be honest mainly for Amanda.

I really do not like the new show. It just doesn't sit well with me - for a number of reasons. I'm really not interested in the new format and probably won't watch the show unless Sam is actually featured much more than advertised and in the positive way she was in seasons 1 to 6.

I'm just hoping that Amanda is okay with everything that is going down and if she is less than happy - then I really feel for her. Her enigmatic portrayal of Sam Carter - along with the excellent humour from the writers -have given me a great deal of escapist joy. SG1 was a pure joy to watch after a very trying day at the office.

Amanda has given so much of herself to the show and is such a talented actress that the changes that have taken place have upset and amazed me - I'm mainly upset for Amanda as it seems that it is her and her character which has lost out the most - but also for MS and CJ.

Whoever has made these unnecessary changes has neither the heart nor grace that Amanda possesses in spades and they should really be ashamed of themselves - not necessarily because they have made changes, but in the way these changes have been brought in.

I myself hope that when Amanda feels it is time to move on from the show she finds success elsewhere - where her heart lies - perhaps in theatre.

If the general viewing public are as disappointed as I in the direction of the show it won't be carrying on much longer anyway. I think the person in charge has lost the plot.

The title of the show is Stargate SG1 but it isn't focused around the team much anymore and they don't seem to focus on the Stargate much.

On the upside no one can take away Amanda's contribution to the show, her acting ability, her great personality, her huge kindness to her fans and the fact she has delivered one awesome character to the sci fi viewing public. These are the things which really mean something. If season 10 sucks it sucks - I'm just thankful I found seasons 1 to 8 and then this great thread - where have have met some wonderfully kind and generous peeps. I'm sure whatever Amanda does she will continue to have a positive effect on a large number of people in all sorts of ways. She's the only star in my eyes - that's for sure
                            Brava, Coley! Brava!

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                              Oh for the love of meatballs. You have GOT to be kidding me.
                              If Season Nine was a "pretty good job" of balancing the limelight, his definition of a bad job must be truly horrifying.

Comment

I agree w/ most of what was said. I do understand that sometimes characters leave, and need to be replaced. It happens. I like Cam, not as much as RDA, but I like him, unfotunately its the writing I don't like. I didn't like what Daniel turned into regarding Vala, either, as someone else said. Once in a while its okay to deviate a bit from the standard character, but putting Daniel in the position they did really turned me off. That was not the Daniel many of us know and love.
                                They are doing the same thing with Sam now too. Some of the comments from oc's in eps I found to be insulting to her character. Where in the world is she going to fit in for the whole new story line? Its all new character centered. I have said before that they threw too much new stuff at us all at once.
                                Regarding what I said at the beginning, sometimes change is neccessary, but regarding the basics of Stargate and its character/storyline/premise:
                                If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!!

Thanks Suekay for the sig!
                                http://www.fanfiction.net/~gatergina71

Comment

Working...
                                X