Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    Don't worry, honey! I once decided to hit the bottle before working on my German research project (equivalent of a dissertation). I wrote 3,500 words... half the project. I was really proud of it, couldn't see any mistakes. I went to bed, woke up in the morning with a cracking hangover and discovered that my wonderful mistake free 3,500 words were in French

We all have rubbish days with essays. That's why I have Lys to write them for me. Sorry... I mean, that's why we have Samandans, to bring a smile to our faces.

James... if you're lurking, that WAS a joke. Lys does NOT write my essays for me. Honestly!!
    No but I do give TJ help when needed
    eg. Lys est ma voix de raison...means Lys is a box of raisins
    Last edited by Mandysg1; 12 April 2006, 05:22 AM.
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      No but I do give TJ help when needed
      eg. Lys est ma voix de raison...means Lys is a box of raisins
      Mandy, the depth of your voix de la raison is immaterial to your box of raisins.
      Try this in German in the Google translator and have fun.

Psst: Post the result. We'll ask TJ if it makes sense
      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
        Excuse me, I'm younger than AT and I don't think RDA is too old for me. Sorry, but I always thought that was the most lame excuse. No insult intended.

I personally was of the opinion, at least before Pete, that Sam always had a thing for older men...which would somewhat explain her interest in Jack, Narim and Jonas ( all of whom were played by actors who were at least ten to fifteen years older than AT ).
        And who could blame her? Older men are HOT.

Comment

And she is the Queen after all! Only fair to give her the crown.
          Why don't we have a crowning ceremony on Samanda's castle ?
          Jester could write an ode to our Queen.
          Now, the big question, who's going to give her the crown ?
          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            Excuse me, I'm younger than AT and I don't think RDA is too old for me. Sorry, but I always thought that was the most lame excuse. No insult intended.

I personally was of the opinion, at least before Pete, that Sam always had a thing for older men...which would somewhat explain her interest in Jack, Narim and Jonas ( all of whom were played by actors who were at least ten to fifteen years older than AT ).
            It bothered me at first, but then RDA kinda grew on me, and my mind was changed
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Don't worry, honey! I once decided to hit the bottle before working on my German research project (equivalent of a dissertation). I wrote 3,500 words... half the project. I was really proud of it, couldn't see any mistakes. I went to bed, woke up in the morning with a cracking hangover and discovered that my wonderful mistake free 3,500 words were in French

We all have rubbish days with essays. That's why I have Lys to write them for me. Sorry... I mean, that's why we have Samandans, to bring a smile to our faces.

James... if you're lurking, that WAS a joke. Lys does NOT write my essays for me. Honestly!!
              TJ- your going to get your self in trouble only joking- honest. I think my problem with work at the moment is that I'm only 2 months away from graduating with my degree and I'm at the stage where I wish I was graduating right now because I'm kinda fed up of writing essays, especially after 3 years and being so close to finishing. I go through this stage sometimes where everything else on the face of the planet seems like a better idea than writing my essays- even cleaning my bedroom, my room is now spotless. Can you believe I'm going back next year to do my masters - woohoo more essays I do actually like university- like I said just a stage I'm going through. And dont worry I know I'm weird. I think I'm going to watch foothold cause I think it was a great episode for sam- she saves the day again, our very own superwoman

sig by starlover1990

Comment

I dont think Jack's too old for Sam. I know quite a few people who are married and have bigger age differences and they get on great and seem very happy. Although RDA/Jack is much older than me ( im only 22) I can see that he is gorgeous. As characters I can see why they would be attracted to each other. Just my humble opinion as always

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_girl
                  I dont think Jack's too old for Sam. I know quite a few people who are married and have bigger age differences and they get on great and seem very happy. Although RDA/Jack is much older than me ( im only 22) I can see that he is gorgeous. As characters I can see why they would be attracted to each other. Just my humble opinion as always
                  Yes, and I think Mandy was sort of saying that too. I don't think she disagrees (she can correct me if I'm wrong in saying that, but I don't think I am ). I don't think she disagrees with that at all, and from what she wrote, I think she actually made a really great point as well.

The automatic, immediate physical attraction is a part of the equasion (but perhaps a smaller part) than what really ends up becoming the primary attractive factor.

By that I mean, for a lot of women (including the amazingly intelligent, albeit fabulously fictitious Sam Carter), the primary attractive quality we look for in a partner stems from our ability to respect that person; to laugh with them (and occassionaly at them), and to have a meaningful dlalogue (verbal or non verbal ) with them.

Hence, women are often stereotyped as being "emotionally older" than men of the exact same age. I say stereotyped because it's absolutely not a universal truth. It is, however, a general status quo.

So women (in general) who find themselves attracted to a man, quite often find themselves attracted to an "older" man as a result. Whether that's 5 years or 15 years. As we grow older, the lines of "age" begin to blur a lot more. As in, they matter less and less.

What I got from what Mandy was saying, was that - while initially she saw an automatic social taboo (older man and a much younger women), she very quickly began to get to know the characters (as 'people'), and therein lay the REAL foundation for what the attraction between Sam and Jack is really about. Sam Carter is not about model-quality-gorgeousness in her guys (See: Pete Shanahan <ahem>); she is, however, all about the stuff beneath.

I'm not saying RDA (and by extension Jack O'Neill) isn't, to borrow a phrase from AD "Teh Hawt" , because he IS. Just as much as Sam is. But I am saying that from a female POV revolving around attraction, I think a lot of Jack's "sex appeal" does stem from his personality. Both the actor, and the character he plays.

That's what Mandy was (I think) trying to illustrate with her point, too. She didn't see it until she could feel it. Until she got to know the characters. And the same thing is (I think) very true for Sam Carter as well.

All the (so-called) initial "attraction" Carter felt for O'Neill - which some might argue was a "first sight" sort of thing - did stem from both her homework on his background (prior to meeting him) and the very telling tete-a-tete they had as a first conversation. The immedate attraction there (to my mind) was always far more firmly rooted in their personalities than it was in their physicalities. I think the physicality of it was there, and was probably amplified and multipled a few hundred times because of the emotional/interpersonal connection that sparked between. Which, of course, went on to grow into something a great deal more.

As an aside, I also think Jack's backstory (coupled with his SG-1 canon story) proves he's always been a sucker for smart women, too. He tends to find himself attracted to the kind of women who can stand up to him, or point out when he's being an idiot; and who'll have no compunction about calling him on it (see Sara, Kerry, Sam...).

That's one of the reasons I always rationalized his so-called loyalty to Laira in "100 Days" as being far more a product of his own internal guilt (for giving in and promising her something out of a need to find solid footing and move forward), than it ever was of his actual "love" for her. Jack doesn't make promises lightly, he feels things deeply, especially his own guilt (much like Sam again), and therefore tends to end up caring about the people near him - a lot more than he'd ever want to admit to. I'm saying he's got a heart as big as all outdoors locked up inside of him, and since Sam's pretty damn perceptive, I also think that's yet another reason she fell for him as hard as she did.

So, yeah.... that's Sam (with a side order of Jack) - to me.

minigeek
                  Last edited by minigeek; 12 April 2006, 07:39 AM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                    Yes, and I think Mandy was sort of saying that too. I don't think she disagrees (she can correct me if I'm wrong in saying that, but I don't think I am ). I don't think she disagrees with that at all, and from what she wrote, I think she actually made a really great point as well.

The automatic, immediate physical attraction is a part of the equasion (but perhaps a smaller part) than what really ends up becoming the primary attractive factor.

By that I mean, for a lot of women (including the amazingly intelligent, albeit fabulously fictitious Sam Carter), the primary attractive quality we look for in a partner stems from our ability to respect that person; to laugh with them (and occassionaly at them), and to have a meaningful dlalogue (verbal or non verbal ) with them.

Hence, women are often stereotyped as being "emotionally older" than men of the exact same age. I say stereotyped because it's absolutely not a universal truth. It is, however, a general status quo.

So women (in general) who find themselves attracted to a man, quite often find themselves attracted to an "older" man as a result. Whether that's 5 years or 15 years. As we grow older, the lines of "age" begin to blur a lot more. As in, they matter less and less.

What I got from what Mandy was saying, was that - while initially she saw an automatic social taboo (older man and a much younger women), she very quickly began to get to know the characters (as 'people'), and therein lay the REAL foundation for what the attraction between Sam and Jack is really about. Sam Carter is not about model-quality-gorgeousness in her guys (See: Pete Shanahan <ahem>); she is, however, all about the stuff beneath.

I'm not saying RDA (and by extension Jack O'Neill) isn't, to borrow a phrase from AD "Teh Hawt" , because he IS. Just as much as Sam is. But I am saying that from a female POV revolving around attraction, I think a lot of Jack's "sex appeal" does stem from his personality. Both the actor, and the character he plays.

That's what Mandy was (I think) trying to illustrate with her point, too. She didn't see it until she could feel it. Until she got to know the characters. And the same thing is (I think) very true for Sam Carter as well.

All the (so-called) initial "attraction" Carter felt for O'Neill - which some might argue was a "first sight" sort of thing - did stem from both her homework on his background (prior to meeting him) and the very telling tete-a-tete they had as a first conversation. The immedate attraction there (to my mind) was always far more firmly rooted in their personalities than it was in their physicalities. I think the physicality of it was there, and was probably amplified and multipled a few hundred times because of the emotional/interpersonal connection that sparked between. Which, of course, went on to grow into something a great deal more.

As an aside, I also think Jack's backstory (coupled with his SG-1 canon story) proves he's always been a sucker for smart women, too. He tends to find himself attracted to the kind of women who can stand up to him, or point out when he's being an idiot; and who'll have no compunction about calling him on it (see Sara, Kerry, Sam...).

That's one of the reasons I always rationalized his so-called loyalty to Laira in "100 Days" as being far more a product of his own internal guilt (for giving in and promising her something out of a need to find solid footing and move forward), than it ever was of his actual "love" for her. Jack doesn't make promises lightly, he feels things deeply, especially his own guilt (much like Sam again), and therefore tends to end up caring about the people near him - a lot more than he'd ever want to admit to. I'm saying he's got a heart as big as all outdoors locked up inside of him, and since Sam's pretty damn perceptive, I also think that's yet another reason she fell for him as hard as she did.

So, yeah.... that's Sam (with a side order of Jack) - to me.

minigeek
                    Excellent points minigeek. Although I do think RDA/Jack is gorgeous, one of the things i like most is the sense of humour. I think that is one of the things that attracts many people to the character (heck, i could be wrong, usually am) but for me it is anyway. one of the reasons i get on so well with my boyfriend is because he can make me laugh, and i think that is something thats really important, and not just in choice of partner. most of my friends are nut cases and all they do is make me laugh, even in lectures they make me giggle, and i think thats one of the reasons i think sam/at are so great is because of the wicked sense of humour. Anyways, thats just how i feel about things

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_girl
                      Excellent points minigeek. Although I do think RDA/Jack is gorgeous, one of the things i like most is the sense of humour. I think that is one of the things that attracts many people to the character (heck, i could be wrong, usually am) but for me it is anyway. one of the reasons i get on so well with my boyfriend is because he can make me laugh, and i think that is something thats really important, and not just in choice of partner. most of my friends are nut cases and all they do is make me laugh, even in lectures they make me giggle, and i think thats one of the reasons i think sam/at are so great is because of the wicked sense of humour. Anyways, thats just how i feel about things
                      Yep. And despite what some might say about Sam Carter being too serious (which, in some cases, she is), I always saw her giggling beneath her breath at the stuff Jack did (on purpose, just to get a rise out of HER most of the time). I adore that dynamic between them. The fact that Jack emotional sanity sometimes hinges on getting Carter to smirk at him or laugh at something he says (especially in dire circumstances). I think he relys on being able to do that and the fact that it brings (shall we say "a ray of sunlight" and be all maudlin?) into an otherwise dire circumstance. Just as much as she latches onto his humor to bring her "up" out of her tendancy to look at things too analytically sometimes, and therefore not always be able to see the possibility of hope.

It's almost absurdly funny. Sort of a scenario where Jack's thinking:

"Crap. We're all lined up against the wall and about to get blasted to Neetu by a bunch of huge, honkin', rancid aliens (what is UP with that SMELL?!) ... so that sucks. But hey ... if I can make Carter laugh one more time, maybe it won't be quite so bad..." <insert wise crack here>

-

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        I know I see Sam who has worked her butt off to get where she is, and being a leader saying its ok to be 2IC. She's too ambitious for that! She's not the type to let people walk all over her. She has always shown she has a back bone, and I don't see any Lt. Col. giving up the option to be leader of a group, not 2IC

*goes to corner to continue rant*
                        Yes, if they want us to accept it, they've got to write a plausible reason. Yeesh.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          Yep. And despite what some might say about Sam Carter being too serious (which, in some cases, she is), I always saw her giggling beneath her breath at the stuff Jack did (on purpose, just to get a rise out of HER most of the time). I adore that dynamic between them. The fact that Jack emotional sanity sometimes hinges on getting Carter to smirk at him or laugh at something he says (especially in dire circumstances). I think he relys on being able to do that and the fact that it brings (shall we say "a ray of sunlight" and be all maudlin?) into an otherwise dire circumstance. Just as much as she latches onto his humor to bring her "up" out of her tendancy to look at things too analytically sometimes, and therefore not always be able to see the possibility of hope.

It's almost absurdly funny. Sort of a scenario where Jack's thinking:

"Crap. We're all lined up against the wall and about to get blasted to Neetu by a bunch of huge, honkin', rancid aliens (what is UP with that SMELL?!) ... so that sucks. But hey ... if I can make Carter laugh one more time, maybe it won't be quite so bad..." <insert wise crack here>

-
                          I agree with you and i love the scenerio on what jack's thinking

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            So I was reading some of the comments here about Sam not getting the recognition and awards she deserves.

I tend to agree.

Here's a little remedy to the situation...Oooober!style:

What...too much?

I mean I can tone it down a hair if I've over done anything.

Just...you know...let me know.

LOL! I think it's just right!

Comment

I'm on Spring Break this week and home working on a class I need for a new certification I have to have for work and turn the tv on for background noise. What did I find on but a "Proof Positive" Marathon on SciFi Channel with AT. Now this was not really my knid of show but for back ground noise not much better than listening to AT talk.
                              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX

How about she is the SGC's new troubleshooter, a special position that reports directly to General Landry and takes advantage of ALL her skills; military, scientific and her general coolness. Then when she doesn't have a special project going, like taking SG-5 out in Prototype or running the rescue mission for Teal'c, she helps out on SG-1 breaking in Lt Colonel Greenie
                                Now *that* might make sense. And actually would have if they had said that's what she was doing. She's come back to the SGC, because they have a special new role for her. They need her in the thick of things, not back at area 51. *We* see her with SG1 a lot b/c that's the show, but it's also clear she's doing all these other things in her special role. She already does this stuff, but it would be officially stated.

Comment

Working...
                                X