Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEM
    My interpretation of that is that O'Neill has direct authority over Carter's assignments.
    Good point! That sounds about right. Not good, not good at all...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      Good point! That sounds about right. Not good, not good at all...
      I don't think he does anymore, though. I think he may have while she was heading up Area 51 (I think she was the head of the entire shebang there, not just RnD, so she'd have reported to Jack). Now, however, she reports to Landry; he does her evaluations, he does her promotional assesments. Jack may have tangential influence, really any 2+ star general at the Pentagon would if s/he wanted to, but beyond that I don't think there's a direct (court-martial-able) link between them. I think, if they were involved (in any capacity) Jack simply wouldn't pull the "strings" he might otherwise decide to pull in terms of her career, should he choose to. He'd simply avoid doing that all together. From the relationship POV, that is to say.
      Last edited by minigeek; 11 April 2006, 12:19 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        So here's what I'd like to see:

Carter gets a promotion to full Colonel
        O'Neill takes an Ambassador's position

All of the four original members of SG-1 get various medals and commendations for their years of valorous service and sacrifice. With a ceremony on screen for all to see - actually showing Daniel and Teal'c receiving one of their awards - given by O'Neill (Daniel's) and Carter (Teal'c's). Then references in conversation regarding the some of the other awards received. D&T should get the highest awards available for civilians (non-USmilitary).

It would be cool to see Carter get what she deserves in a setting that emphasizes the team and the efforts of all four of the original SG-1 members. It would seriously help to provide closure to what has been lost.
        I'd love to see that.

All four of them deserve recognition.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
          Okay I just saw the promo spot done by MS during SciFi Monday. You think maybe they are getting the point that people are not really happy with the new shiny SG-1, they keep telling us we should like. The whole point of his talk was that people need to care about the characters. He said the success of the show orginally was great stories and the chemistry of the cast. His last line was "The characters care about each other then the audience will too"

Do you remember when they showed that they cared for each other instead of telling us?

Yeah. On the one hand I liked what he had to say about the chemistry among the original cast and characters being central, but the cynical side of me said--bah, they want to push the "new" cast.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            I don't think he does anymore, though. I think he may have while she was heading up Area 51 (I think she was the head of the entire shebang there, not just RnD, so she'd have reported to Jack). Now, however, she reports to Landry; he does her evaluations, he does her promotional assesments. Jack may have tangential influence, really any 2+ star general at the Pentagon would if s/he wanted to, but beyond that I don't think there's a direct (court-martial-able) link between them. I think, if they were involved (in any capacity) Jack simply wouldn't pull the "strings" he might otherwise decide to pull in terms of her career, should he choose to. He'd simply avoid doing that all together. From the relationship POV, that is to say.
            Yes... Yes... This makes sense. I like this logic.

EDIT: I think I passed 2,900 posts today... Dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              as to promoting sam????? i'd love it, but honestly as sexist and discriminatory as skiffy and the kids are do you REALLY think they'll do the 'right' thing????? Nah. It'll be Cameron. he's the hewo, he's the star and he's the man.
              Maybe they'll give us a pleasant surprise and prove that they are physically capable of giving Sam's character the recognition and respect she deserves.

Maybe pigs will fly.

Originally posted by Skydiver
              and if they promote him after he whines to landry, well hammer those final nails into the coffin of that character.
              Poor Kinsey will lose his position as my most hated character if that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                Well, I'm going to be the sod who casts a lone, insignificant vote for Secrets. Despite how freakin' awesome both In the Line of Duty and Matter of Time truly are, I think that Secrets is the episode that reveals the most about Sam as a person. And Amanda Tapping and Carmen Argenziano just do so much with so little in that one. With just a couple of scenes you get a complete picture of Carter's past relationship with Jacob, no "filling in the gaps" necessary. They just drop in an entire previously unexplored facet of Sam's character with ease and grace, leaving you wanting more. And you just know more is coming, too. That's how you get people excited and interested in a character. I'll take Sam crying alone in a room over explosions, space ships, and hot alien sex of the week any day. Top that off with Carter shaking it off, not letting it affect her behavior in the subsequent battle with Heru'ur ("bad day" aside), and you've got a real winner of an episode.
                Excellent point. See, again the whole episode didn't have to be about Sam to reveal quite a bit about her. And you're right CA & AT make a great acting team. Just think, I read they had just met when they did the big "I have cancer scene" and you still really sense this whole relationship btw Sam & jacob.

Comment

Congrats!!! I'd send jello, but it says I used all mine up for the next 24 hours.

Happy 2900, though!!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    Yeah. On the one hand I liked what he had to say about the chemistry among the original cast and characters being central, but the cynical side of me said--bah, they want to push the "new" cast.
                    Which, for me, would be fine-if they pushed them on-screen. He was right-unless and until we see the characters caring about each other-we, as an audience, will have a much harder time caring. It all comes back to showing not telling. SHOW us the 'new' team cares about and respects one another. Don't just tell us it's there. Show us the caring we used to see among Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c and show us some of that extending to Mitchell.

They know it needs to be done. I just hope that now, they'll be able to do it. And not just talk about it.

Comment

I'd send 'congrats' jello too, but I have to 'spread it around' a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        Excellent point. See, again the whole episode didn't have to be about Sam to reveal quite a bit about her. And you're right CA & AT make a great acting team. Just think, I read they had just met when they did the big "I have cancer scene" and you still really sense this whole relationship btw Sam & jacob.
                        Wow, I didn't know they'd just met. That's pretty cool, because they definitely pulled it off! They really are great together.

/me kicks Threads

We're never gonna see him again, are we?

Oh well... That's hopefully what Shore Leave is for, right?

Right?

And thanks for the thoughts of jello, mini and Deejay. I'm seriously trying to figure out how I've posted nearly 3000 times. :| Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                          Here's what I would like to see, Sam tells Landry that Cam's been leader (cough* for a year now and he should be good on his own. Now she says she deserves to lead her own team SG13 and she'd like to pick her own team. Hearing about this, Daniel and Teal'c (being civilians) tell Cam see ya later and ask if they can join Sam's team. Then we could all watch the new and improved Stargate SG13
                          Ha, Ha. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                            Which, for me, would be fine-if they pushed them on-screen. He was right-unless and until we see the characters caring about each other-we, as an audience, will have a much harder time caring. It all comes back to showing not telling. SHOW us the 'new' team cares about and respects one another. Don't just tell us it's there. Show us the caring we used to see among Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c and show us some of that extending to Mitchell.

They know it needs to be done. I just hope that now, they'll be able to do it. And not just talk about it.
                            that's been the issue all season. too much telling and not enough showing...unless they were blowing stuff up that is. (or dealing with cleavage)
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                              So here's what I'd like to see:

Carter gets a promotion to full Colonel
                              O'Neill takes an Ambassador's position

All of the four original members of SG-1 get various medals and commendations for their years of valorous service and sacrifice. With a ceremony on screen for all to see - actually showing Daniel and Teal'c receiving one of their awards - given by O'Neill (Daniel's) and Carter (Teal'c's). Then references in conversation regarding the some of the other awards received. D&T should get the highest awards available for civilians (non-USmilitary).

It would be cool to see Carter get what she deserves in a setting that emphasizes the team and the efforts of all four of the original SG-1 members. It would seriously help to provide closure to what has been lost.
                              You know, I'd be okay even if there wasn't a ceremony. Just a reference to awards received. Like showing the gang at Daniel's apartment with his medal(s) carelessly tossed on a shelf... Vala could make a quip about his impressive "jewels" or some such. Then the rest of them could start a friendly banter about who has what awards.

I'd put Jack on the Joint Chiefs. I think that would probably sufficiently distance him from Sam's direct chain of command. I have trouble seeing him volunteering to be an Ambassador, not even for the Asgard, but that's probably just me. Diplomacy before action is not his strongest suit. Although admittedly he has gotten some experience in it recently.

And there is a website that takes orders for "Beers of the World" to be delivered worldwide, including Canada. Not that I really believe we'll have need of it.
                              http://www.sendliquor.com/id124122list4591product.html

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                                I would have to say, if your going to piss off a group no matter what you do, which group would you rather 'upset'? The group that has been the main reason for your ratings, and said 'upsetting' has caused large numbers to leave. Or the group you wanted to get to watch the show, that has done nothing to increase your ratings? Dam there I go being logical again
                                The question is which group can they most afford to risk losing.

If the ratings are any indication, the gamble they took in introducing Cameron as the leader has not paid off. Sam is leading by a huge majority in the Who Should Lead thread and if this is in any way a close reflection of the opinions of the fandom as a whole, then I think it is safe to say that making Cameron leader was a mistake.

I know that making Cameron a full colonel and confirming his position as leader will be proof to me that I can abandon hope of any kind o decent storytelling or proper handling of Sam's character.

As long as Sam is on the show, I will watch, but the second she leaves, the show can die for all I care.

Comment

Working...
                                X