Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal

sally + =
    Lemme get this straight: Are you saying that Sam and Jack are Zelenka's parents?

Now, for some reason I don't remember taking part in the last ep tournament here. But, my pick was Solitudes, though it was hard to pick between that and Singularity. They were both really good.

And the episode, Thor's Hammer... I can't remember if that is season one or season two, but I love that episode, because it's one of those divided eps where Daniel and Sam are in one place and Teal'c and Jack are in another, but there's such great character development there. AND great bonding, too.

I love the scene between Daniel and Sam, after they've been searching for hours with the ex-Goa'uld woman as their guide. She's up ahead, and Sam hangs back for a moment and calls Daniel back. They kinda have their tiff/disagreement, it gets pretty heated, but eventually they move on.

Little scenes like these were so easily taken for granted, I think, because they were plentiful. We had the direct conflict between characters within the first two years, but it was that very conflict that eventually led to them discovering something new about each other. And as viewers, we were able to see that these characters didn't always see eye-to-eye about things, but they were still able to get the job done like they'd been doing it forever. They didn't just roll their eyes and continue on, annoyed as hell. They tended to hash it out right then and there. And eventually, once their annoyances were out there, they'd move on to fixing the problem.

Daniel and Sam have always had that brother/sister vibe. I have to admit that when I first started watching the show, I thought it was something more. After watching all the episodes, I've kinda seen that it really isn't. It's just a deep and overstated friendship that was strongest during the first few years. And with Teal'c, there's a deep and understated friendship that's gotten stronger with time. But when Daniel and Sam had mini-Daniel/Jack moments, and when Sam told Teal'c that she didn't care about the "way of the warrior" crap, it's easy to see that the big happy family that was SG-1 had their little dysfunctional moments, too. And it was OK.

Alrighty, I think I'm rambling... I'm gonna have to watch more eps between Seasons One and Three to get that "direct conflict" fix I think I'm needing these days, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
      And if 10 turns out to be the last season it will be a nice ending to a great story.... the Moonlighting concept is only in play while there is the intention to continue the show/story.
      and (continuing in the otness ), moonlighting's writing got real screwy. i didn't even watch the show (it ripped off 'remington steel' and ticked me off), but i remember reading the synopses of the eps and wondering what the hayhoo was going on with their convoluted writing. *bad writing* destroyed that show, not bringing the two interested parties together. my opinion.

writing rst (resolved sexual tention) between sam and jack would be even easier now because half of that party isn't even on the show fulltime.

to jump to full sam related issues, here's my fun guesswork on what i think some of sam's fave things would be --

ice cream: vanilla. that way, she can drawn it in carmel sause, make malts, add cookies to it, etc.

food: homemade chilli.

drink: white chocolate mocha, from Starbucks.

snack food: cheese popcorn and barbecue potato chips.

music: classical (john williams greatest hits), rock (dream theater), country (bluegrass), pop (alanis morissette and annie lennox), and anything odd or unusual. *she's currently listening to the Abba's greatest hits*

tv show: lost. (she can't decide which guy she wants more on that show, jack or sawyer ) *she also owns all the seasons of macgyver on dvd*

movie: (undecided. ask her later )

internet sites: 'lost' forum.

guilty pleasure: *she won't tell *

sally
      Last edited by majorsal; 06 April 2006, 04:08 PM.
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        yeah, poor t-bear has been so wall papered.

sam, at least, does have so much more to her than the relationship. She's a bonafide leader at the sgc and amongst her peers. and, even ignoring the other weaknesses of s9, sam did just fine with what bits she was given.
        you know what my fave ep of season 9 is? 'the scourge'. it really wasn't that great of an ep, but it had the most 'samness' to it. sam wasn't just 'there', but contributed and had leadership qualities that were highlighted.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
          I think you're reading too much into that. I think CB had nothing to say about the S/J ship-as she knows nothing about it. But she had to say something, so she went with the "popular mythos" which is that resolving RST "ruins" a show.

AT has said positive things about the 'ship in Season 10, and she's in a much better position to understand where it's been and where it's going.
          okay, i'll take that explanation!

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

and (continuing in the otness ), moonlighting's writing got real screwy. i didn't even watch the show (it ripped off 'remingtonsteel' and ticked me off), but i remember reading the synopses of the eps and wondering what the hayhoo was going on with their convoluted writing. *bad writing* destroyed that show, not bringing the two interested parties together. my opinion.
            Let's not forget that Bruce and Cybil did not get along, and that came through as well. I'm not sure the show would have made it much longer no matter if they resolved the UST or not. Resolving the UST was a last ditch effort to save the show. I know I lost interest before they got together because the show quit being entertaining.

writing rst (resolved sexual tention) between sam and jack would be even easier now because half of that party isn't even on the show fulltime.
            I like happy endings so I would like TPTB to finish the storyline THEY started with a happy, positive ending. There's enough sadness in the world.

to jump to full sam related issues, here's my fun guesswork on what i think some of sam's fave things would be --

ice cream: vanilla. that way, she can drawn it in carmel sause, make malts, add cookies to it, etc.

music: classical (john williams greatest hits), rock (dream theater), country (bluegrass), pop (alanis morissette and annie lennox), and anything odd or unusual. *she's currently listening to the Abba's greatest hits*

tv show: lost. (she can't decide which guy she wants more on that show, jack or sawyer ) *she also owes all the seasons of macgyver on dvd*

sally
            I haven't given much thought to Sam's favorite things; however, I hear she likes Yellow cookies.

Token ~

Comment

and (continuing in the otness ), moonlighting's writing got real screwy. i didn't even watch the show (it ripped off 'remingtonsteel' and ticked me off), but i remember reading the synopses of the eps and wondering what the hayhoo was going on with their convoluted writing. *bad writing* destroyed that show, not bringing the two interested parties together. my opinion.

tv show: lost. (she can't decide which guy she wants more on that show, jack or sawyer ) *she also owes all the seasons of macgyver on dvd*

sally
              Sorry Sally but her favourite potato chips are Ketchup
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                I think you're both reading way too much into these comments, as far as the actors' opinions go. What most likely happened was they got everyone into a room at Bridge and asked each actor a set of questions based on their knowledge of the new season so far. However, I'm sure each actor was told what the network wanted conveyed in the promos beforehand.

Then, after all the taping was done, the snippets we finally saw were very carefully edited to make sure the messages the network wanted to send to the viewers got through. So although they were probably unrehearsed and looked very casual, everyone knew what they were there to accomplish before anything was committed to tape.

IMHO......
                i agree.

the objectives -to me- were:

let the fans know 'something's coming' for s/j (as done by amanda).

let the fans know ship on a show isn't bad and can be fun and sexy, even on a scifi show (as done by ben).

let the fans know that even though the s/j ship is coming back, it'll prob not be resolved 'yet' (as done by claudia).

chris' segment was just fun and funny and had no real 'need' in the promotion department.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                  Good point. I want her where ever she can be in the thick of the action. And I'd like to see more respect from Landry.
                  bringing up landry and respecting her made me remember season 5's 'chain reaction', and general bauer. to me, bauer wasn't 'really' a bad guy. i think he was in over his head and was put there because 'they' knew he'd be easy to manipulate.

but going with a bauer-type general, i wonder what it would have been like if landry would have been a jerk? and specifically, for sam.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn

EDIT: Ohmygosh!!!!! I finally hit 2,000.....and,
                    as always, mileposts are achieved in the SAGC thread
                    !

Congrats on 2000 posts! I have a lot of catching up to do. Sorry couldn't give you any green. so I'll send positive vives for s10

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                      Jckfan55 very kindly asked me to pop in here from the SMOR thread and post the two Sam covers I did for Amanda to autograph at the Vancouver con.

I was especially pleased to finally be able to award Sam Carter her long-deserved Nobel Prize in Physics and to make her Time's Person of the Year, and of course, be the "publisher" of her most important work, her highly-acclaimed Asgard training manual, 1001 Dumb Ideas.

these are great!!

*goes to save them*

will you help me out on the text in the times magazine one, though. where it says 'exclusive'; i can't read the words.

how did amanda react to them? i bet she loved them!

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                        My work tended to stun the actors...LOL. I got an "Oh, wow!" from Amanda and a certain amount of speechlessness which I think is a typical actor's response to having something they have never seen before and yet has their face pastered on it shoved under their nose. Amanda was very gracious and actually read the Time Magazine cover to see exactly what it said, and I think made an effort to sign both very prettily. But then she always does, she's such a sweetie to all her fans. I gave her copies to take home/toss in the trash/whatever as well should she wish to really look at them later. I tried to do Sam proud, because she deserves recognition.
                        that's soooo awesome!

is there anything 'in' the magazines, or is it just the cover with amanda/sam stuff?

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

bringing up landry and respecting her made me remember season 5's 'chain reaction', and general bauer. to me, bauer wasn't 'really' a bad guy. i think he was in over his head and was put there because 'they' knew he'd be easy to manipulate.

but going with a bauer-type general, i wonder what it would have been like if landry would have been a jerk? and specifically, for sam.

sally
                          That's a good point! In the end Bauer did respect Sam and acknowledge his mistake in not listening to her from the start.

I have mixed reactions about how Landry and Sam interact. At times he cuts her off without actually listening to her, which gets on my nerves. Jack use to cut her off, but he knew and trusted her that I didn't have a problem with it. With Jack it was "okay we've worked together for 8 years and I trust whatever plan you came up with I don't need to hear the explanation"

Now with Landry he does the same thing, except he doesn’t have the background that JAck and Hammond had. To his defense maybe it goes back to the phone conversation Sam walked in on when she came back. Landry obviously thinks she was greatly needed (I don't remember exactly what was said). I'm guessing he has read all the reports, commendations, heard what Jack and Hammond had to say about Sam, Teal'c and Daniel.

I think it can be interesting to see how these two interact and they both gain one another’s trust and respect. As long as that's the road they are on and the writers show that progression. I think AT and B.Bridges even talked about this.

Also I think it depends on the writer some writers hate the techno part so they have someone cut her off instead of doing a little research in order for the character to complete the thought.
                          Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 06 April 2006, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                            I'm torn between Solitudes and Emancipation.

In Emancipation I see soldier Sam fighting to secure freedom of ALL the people on that planet. In Solitudes I see the human side of Sam, caretaker and friend to her fellow teammate (O'Neill). I also see the scientist side. Sam working to find a way out/off the "planet" that they found themselves on.

How long do we have?
                            those were the two eps i had to choose from too. at first, i chose emancipation, because i got confused by the voting and thought the season was being split in two to vote. but when i realized it wasn't, i went to solitudes.

emancipation, to me, showed the kickbutt sam that we've all grown to love. and it was the first time we 'really' got to see that side of her.

solitudes was just a beautifully acted and written story, where we saw sam not just being strong and intelligent, but weighed down with trying to survive, being injured and suffering from hypothermia, and trying to save jack and herself. and i agree with whoever said that this was the first glimpse of just how talented an actress amanda is.

out of the two, i chose solitudes. sam at her best!

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                              Thank you for allowing me to see Emancipation in an entirely new light. Up until I read your astute interpretation, Emancipation was one of my least favorite episodes, of any season. My only reason for watching it more than once was Sam, of course, and watching her kick the crap out of that creep who was sorely in need of dental care. I now can view it as Sam's initial step in defining her character. She proved herself to be more than just a beautiful face, with a brain behind it. Her fellow team members got the chance to see her in "action", so to speak, and I'm certain their opinion's of her changed forever, after that exhibition of physical prowess and technique. I know I was impressed and perhaps that may have been the moment my admiration for Sam truly began.

So thanks for re-opening my eyes.
                              my mom and i always play the 'sam kicks tribal guy's butt' scene over and over.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

The one thing I didn't like about solitudes was that we didn't see the after affects of what happened after Sam and Jack ( no not S/J ship) were rescued.
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X