Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    Once we've chosen our favorite Sam episodes from the various seasons, what's the plan, Sky? Do we watch 'em all? Discuss our reasons why?

I actually had a difficult time choosing (for season one), because I kept forgetting not to choose my favorite episode and to choose the episode I thought was the best SAM episode. Oddly the two weren't identical. Much as I loved SINGULARITY (for three scenes in particular - and of course for Amanda's outstandingly played breakthrough for Sam in that elevator), it wasn't actually my favorite episode of season one as a whole.

Looking back, I think Sam actually had three major breakthroughs in season one. The one in SOLITUDES (vis-a-vis her emotional willingness to 'be there' for Jack), the one in SINGULARITY (vis-a-vis her first disobedience of Jack's orders) and the one in WITHIN THE SERPENT'S GRASP (when she opts to follow her team into voluntary exile through the Stargate - against orders again).

I'm not certain there were other major ones - were there? I'm no where near the expert that some of you are on the episodic minutia, but from a broader POV, those were the primary milestones for Sam that I got out of S1.

mg
    what we're gonna do is choose the best of each season. then the best over all...and it's all gonna lead up to a 'Sam Day' where we have a whole day (to be determined later) to devote to all things Sam.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      If someone wants to start a serious vala discussion thread, i'll go play in it. HOwever the TWO vala threads that exist are for appreciation and wow....which means that discussion - which is positive and negative -are off topic.

which is why i respect those threads and stay out of them. Kinda like we want folks to respect the Sam thread and keep major discussion of the other characters out of this thread.

Contrary to others on this forum, i'm fully aware that my opinions may not be wanted or welcome, so i refrain from joining in in places where i may not be wanted.

I've been around the fandom long enough to know that people don't change thier minds or opinions just because i'd like them to...so i'm not gonna waste my time harrassing those that i don't agree with. I just let them be.

Now, take the personal stuff out of here. This is the ONLY thread on this forum that is dedicated to Sam, and it's gonna stay that way.
      Hey Sky, just FYI, there's a lovely Sam/Vala thread...so you can discuss both there if you like. I've said some honest things in them in regards to the other phenomnially talented lady on SG1. You know the one who's not Sam. Come join us there.

I'd like to say I'm sorry if I contributed to the smack down on this thread. I'll behave from now on. Well as well as I can.
      sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

i haven't voted yet. i'm thinking i may need mine as a tie breaker since there are a couple eps that are neck and neck

right now i have a total of 26 votes for 6 episodes

torment of tantalus
        serpents grasp
        solitudes
        hathor
        singularity
        emancipation

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Regarding how I would like to see Sam in season ten either as leader of SG-1 or 2IC of the SGC.

If season ten continues to follow on the same path as season nine, then to be honest I would say sod off to SG-1 and hope that Sam in put in command of the newest Tauri vessel. Why? Well because it's obvious that we won't be using the Stargate much anymore, and spacecrafts seem to have become a huge part of the Ori story arc, so Sam might as well be front and center. After watching the finale to Camelot it's plain to see that being a member of SG-1 is really not a productive place to be any longer, all the big battles involve CGI spacecrafts and big explosions and I'd rather see Sam sitting in the captain's chair and giving all the orders than standing on the sidelines watching the battle take place.
          You know, I just had not considered this as the
          Spoiler:
          mechanism by which Sam could be shuttling back and forth between galaxies. I think this is great! Sam as commander of one of our ships! It would put her large and in charge of something important, which is where she deserves to be. I bet she'd also become a full-bird Colonel! And that would make us so happy that TPTB could go ahead and give Mitchell SG-1 without offending us, 'cause this is a bigger, better command. I can't believe that idea hadn't occurred to me!

And, it would also enable them to resolve the S/J ship positively for us S/J shippers without diminishing her in any way. I only have one issue: at the rate we've been losing those ships lately, I'm not sure one would be a safe place for Sam to be! Of course, she'd probably be like James T. Kirk and figure out a way to save herself and her crew no matter how dire the circumstances!!! And even if she lost a spaceship now and then, she'd probably be like Picard and manage to escape with her crew.

All in all, I'm glad I had time to re-invest myself in the thread today. This discussion is making me pretty happy.....

Comment

Hey gang, I'm looking for Sam in that dress she wore when Pete took her dancing. I have an idea for a little image I need it for. If any one has it...please pm it to me and I'll post the results later. Thank you!
            sigpic
            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Jckfan55 very kindly asked me to pop in here from the SMOR thread and post the two Sam covers I did for Amanda to autograph at the Vancouver con.

I was especially pleased to finally be able to award Sam Carter her long-deserved Nobel Prize in Physics and to make her Time's Person of the Year, and of course, be the "publisher" of her most important work, her highly-acclaimed Asgard training manual, 1001 Dumb Ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                But Claudia is absolutely right in it. Remember "Moonlightning"? The show completly "lost it" after Maddie and David got together. UST (at least on screen) is definitely the best solution. But in fanfics...
                It can and has been done well. Moonlighting is just the best example of it being done poorly. But you know, the writers were just working with what they had. Cybill and Bruce weren't getting along at that point, he was just breaking out of TV and into movies.....there were a lot of issues that contributed to that resolution being a poor one.

EDIT: Ohmygosh!!!!! I finally hit 2,000.....and,
                as always, mileposts are achieved in the SAGC thread
                !
                Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 06 April 2006, 09:37 AM.

Comment

what we're gonna do is choose the best of each season. then the best over all
                  These results are going to be interesting because the sample is Sam-fans rather than SG-1 fans in general. The tricky issue, however, is the very real possibility of varying interpretations of 'best' among the respondents. Even now, I'm not sure I know what the criteria are 'supposed' to be.

I do know that the ep I voted for is not the one I consider: 1) 'biggest' Sam story, 2) best AT performance, or even 3) personal favourite.
                  Last edited by DEM; 06 April 2006, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                    Jckfan55 very kindly asked me to pop in here from the SMOR thread and post the two Sam covers I did for Amanda to autograph at the Vancouver con.

I was especially pleased to finally be able to award Sam Carter her long-deserved Nobel Prize in Physics and to make her Time's Person of the Year, and of course, be the "publisher" of her most important work, her highly-acclaimed Asgard training manual, 1001 Dumb Ideas.

those are great!!

we definitely need more Sam magazines

sigpic

Comment

i haven't voted yet. i'm thinking i may need mine as a tie breaker since there are a couple eps that are neck and neck

torment of tantalus
                      serpents grasp
                      solitudes
                      hathor
                      singularity
                      emancipation
                      OMG. I just realized that I haven't voted yet!! Put me down for Solitudes please!
                      sigpic

Comment

those are great!!

we definitely need more Sam magazines
                        What'd Amanda say when she saw those, Seshat?

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                          Perfect sense TJ and exactly. In those terms the door is pretty much wide open for a ship resolve now, nothing to lose relaly
                          and IMO it is not the same thing here as was Moonlighting because the UST was between the 2 (the ONLY 2) stars of the show who were always together and who, no matter what, had to be together to solve the crime or whatever. The ship there was a HUGE part of the whole show not just a small piece of an ensemble cast show that had many, many other story arcs to address and deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            What'd Amanda say when she saw those, Seshat?
                            My work tended to stun the actors...LOL. I got an "Oh, wow!" from Amanda and a certain amount of speechlessness which I think is a typical actor's response to having something they have never seen before and yet has their face pastered on it shoved under their nose. Amanda was very gracious and actually read the Time Magazine cover to see exactly what it said, and I think made an effort to sign both very prettily. But then she always does, she's such a sweetie to all her fans. I gave her copies to take home/toss in the trash/whatever as well should she wish to really look at them later. I tried to do Sam proud, because she deserves recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              Regarding how I would like to see Sam in season ten either as leader of SG-1 or 2IC of the SGC.

If season ten continues to follow on the same path as season nine, then to be honest I would say sod off to SG-1 and hope that Sam in put in command of the newest Tauri vessel. Why? Well because it's obvious that we won't be using the Stargate much anymore, and spacecrafts seem to have become a huge part of the Ori story arc, so Sam might as well be front and center. After watching the finale to Camelot it's plain to see that being a member of SG-1 is really not a productive place to be any longer, all the big battles involve CGI spacecrafts and big explosions and I'd rather see Sam sitting in the captain's chair and giving all the orders than standing on the sidelines watching the battle take place.
                              great idea - if Carter is in charge of a ship then she is in CHARGE even when she has "visitors", if you get my meaning. and based on how front and center the Colonels of the earth ships have been in the episodes they have been in (not to mention how competent and confident they are) it would not be hard to focus on Carter as leader of a ship and have some really kick-a$$ stories and kick-a$$ Carter leading the way. Let mitchell run SG1 into the ground with incompetence and this way he wouldn't continue to take Carter down with him.

Comment

torment of tantalus
                                serpents grasp
                                solitudes
                                hathor
                                singularity
                                emancipation

I'm torn between Solitudes and Emancipation.

In Emancipation I see soldier Sam fighting to secure freedom of ALL the people on that planet. In Solitudes I see the human side of Sam, caretaker and friend to her fellow teammate (O'Neill). I also see the scientist side. Sam working to find a way out/off the "planet" that they found themselves on.

How long do we have?

Comment

Working...
                                X