Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    here's a question (and i've thought about it many times).

would you like to see sam as leader of sg1, OR, second in command of the entire base?

choose your answer with the way the show's being written right now (with mitchell there and the co-leading stuff).

sally
    i don't think sam is ready to run the sgc. not for several, many more years. she has a lot of the skills and knowledge...but she is too caught up in the technical things. Her frustrations with the techs not doing things as fast as she could for example.

she would be too driven tomicro manage and try to do it all...which would narrow her focus nad her vision

Jack is able to step back and let his people do thier jobs. Sam still needs to learn this on a broad scale. And the only way she can learn this is to command a team, do it on a small scale, then a bit bigger, etc.

she needs to learn to trust in others and thier abilities
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Please do not get me wrong when I say I'm afraid the ship will diminish the strong character we have been seeing thus far this season. This is not to say that I believe that being in a loving relationship diminishes one's character. Personally, I think I'm a much better person thanks to my husband. I think what most of us are saying is we do not believe that the writers of Stargate are capable of writing Sam in a relationship without making her appear as insecure and angst ridden, and many of us are really tired of seeing this aspect of Sam. Granted there are some who do not wish to see Sam with Jack at all, but for me if I thought the writers could write S&J together without writing her completely out of character like they did in certain scenes of season 7 & 8, then I would probably be more gung-ho about the whole S&J push which seems to be approaching.

Unfortunately, my fear is that the writers have more up their sleeve than they are willing to share and while they may say that we will see some sort of resolution between Sam & Jack in season 10, I have a really bad feeling that it's not going to be the end that many people, especially shippers, want. My reason being, for ten years the writers have said that they won't put Sam and Jack together until the end of the series. Even when RDA left, they choose not to make it official. So one has to ask oneself why after an entire year of no mention of Jack, especially by Sam, why would they suddenly decide to push them together unless it's going to end in a shocking way. My biggest fear is that in bringing Jack back and by allowing Sam & Jack to finally get together they are setting us all up for a huge fall that will include saying goodbye to Jack and/or Sam in a big way.

Granted these are only speculations and I have nothing in which to prove these theories, but I have never known the writers to really give the fans exactly what they have wanted. They may give us a nibble, or a tease, but there is always a twist that comes with it. I just hope that Sam doesn't end up being a part of that twist.

no...

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lys

And spaz, my dear spaz, some fic-writers shippers are as bad as TPTB when they lure us into a good team adventure and suddenly forget half of said team to write Jack giving serenade to Sam in a Goa'uld holding cell or in the middle of a battle.
        but, lys, that's a *ship fic*. meaning, it's main focus is ship.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
          Maybe they are going to have Sam kill Jack...

Okay maybe not. But I fear when UST becomes RST... IT rarely ever works.
          worked on farscape.

you know, i'm actually considering watching farscape now (not just a few minutes here or there) JUST to see the john/aeryn ship and how it was handled. i *know* they got together and got married and had a little bundle of cosmic joy, but still... i'm curious now. formerhost should be proud!

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

What?!?

I mean... WHAT?!

/me covers sally's and Ooober's eyes for their protection... or Deevil's
            no, the damage has already been done...

in other words

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
              I agree with you wholeheartedly. I want to see Sam lead SG-1 as well because I want her on the adventures---the interesting stuff, and I love that she is a kickass soldier and scientist and would miss the soldier offworld stuff so much. Sam has been going offworld for 9 years---I don't want that to stop. She belongs in the field. Dr. Lee belongs in the lab, and Landry should continue as the commander. Plus her science and of course military skills come in real handy offworld! I want to keep my science in this science fiction show and that means Sam going offworld for more adventures.
              Me too - leading SG1 no doubt about it. She eraned it, deserves it, is completley competent at it and is heads and tails above the "others" who didn't earn it and don't deserve and are not ready for it.

Comment

worked on farscape.

you know, i'm actually considering watching farscape now (not just a few minutes here or there) JUST to see the john/aeryn ship and how it was handled. i *know* they got together and got married and had a little bundle of cosmic joy, but still... i'm curious now. formerhost should be proud!

sally
                You know, it's interesting you say that, because I was watching those promo mini-interviews and one had Claudia Black saying that once UST was resolved, the show loses that spark.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

here's a question (and i've thought about it many times).

would you like to see sam as leader of sg1, OR, second in command of the entire base?

choose your answer with the way the show's being written right now (with mitchell there and the co-leading stuff).

sally
                  SG1 commander. Sole commander. No co-leading. I agree with the reasons that many of the others (Sky, chocdoc, ParadoxRealities, Mandy) have given for why. And since Sam is only in the first rung of "colonel-dom" she'd have a long ways to go before getting enough rank to be anywhere near command of the base.

Plus like Sky said (and it was something I was working through in my PL fic last evening) she's got to get command experience under her belt first and learn to deal with the frustrations of motivating others and being able to deal with when they don't follow direction or smart off directly to her face, and to not take it too personally. (In reference to PL - remember when she was angry that Dr. Lee wouldn't stay when she told him he was done when she said he was done? She was angry IMOHO not just because he questioned her authority, but because she was confronted by someone who didn't have the same movitivations/dedication to team that she had & it was hard for her to accept that.) Only through repeatedly dealing with those feelings and trying her hand at it would she find out if she was suited for more broad organizational oversight. IMO, after SG1 command no longer held a challenge for her, I'd still see her giving in to her science/R&D dreams at Area 51 & let others worry about the day to day base commander type things like toilet paper ordering, team assignments, blue jello orders.....
                  Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                  My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                    Here's a direct link to the pics of Amanda at the Ball (not with Baal)
                    http://www.catherinebarr.com/photos/...diamondball06/
                    No, even better ... she's with her husband, Alan! Wow, what a cute couple and this is really the first time ever I got to see hubby, all decked out in a white dinner jacket or tux. There must have been a theme because Amanda and the other gals seem to be dressed with an Asian flair or something.

I only saw Alan briefly in the one episode of Stargate.

Thanks!

Comment

i saw him at one of the Gatecon's. he is a nice lookin guy

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        Hmm? you might not want to know what else happens with penguins in here, just ask ChopinGal and Lys
                        http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...-penguin-1.jpg

The penguin is a lovely bird
                        It can be seen but rarely heard
                        Penguins have many worthy traits
                        However they make lousy dates

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          No, even better ... she's with her husband, Alan! Wow, what a cute couple and this is really the first time ever I got to see hubby, all decked out in a white dinner jacket or tux. There must have been a theme because Amanda and the other gals seem to be dressed with an Asian flair or something.

I only saw Alan briefly in the one episode of Stargate.

Thanks!
                          It looks to be a Sari that she's wearing (or in the flavor of, at least).

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

it doesnt' quite look like a sari, but a dress inspired by the ide

and that shade of blue is fantastic on her, very classy

sigpic

Comment

so, mg, that drawing in your sig, is that yours?

sigpic

Comment

Yes, Sky. A cropped piece of it.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X