Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    It was one of the first episodes where I really started to see what a great actress Amanda is. When Sam gets so frustrated at her inability to fix the DHD... I could just feel it. She reacted in a very believable -and feminine- way. You know, men get frustrated and angry, and they curse, swear, and hit things. Women get angry and frustrated, and they may do all of that, but they also fight tears. Amanda played it perfectly.
    Okay as I said earlier I'm try to get caught up with the thread. Life has been really crazy lately and will be for the next couple of weeks. But I wanted to comment on the Solitudes talk -

I did not see any of the Monday night line up I was to busy with work and shows. But "Solitudes" was the first episode of SG-1 I ever saw. I had torn my achellies (sp?) tendon durring a performance on stage and was laying awake late after getting back to the hotel from the hospital. We had a performance the next day in another city so no hospital stay just a caste some pain killers and an appoinment to see a Dr. durring tour break a couple of weeks later. Anyway so I had a room to myself for the night and could not sleep so I'm channel surfing when I happened up Showtime playing SG-1. I saw the stargate when I flipped to the channel and having seen the movie my first thought was cool Stargate I can watch this movie again. It only took me a minute to realise it was not the movie but when I saw RDA I thought what is he doing on Stargate? I only saw a little over half the episode but it made me want to watch more and I wanted to know who was this actress playing Sam Carter and why I have I not seen her in any thing before. I started watching SG-1 during the break in that tour and started purchasing the DVD's from Europe since they were not available yet in R1 so I could see all the episodes from the beginning. It became a show that I hooked several of the people I was traveling with onto and we would look for it when we had time off.

Solitudes today remains one of my all-time favorite SG-1 episodes. Even though the team was not all together in the episode I still look at it as a strong team episode because of how much they cared about each other in the episode. That is one of the big things missing in S9. Everyone on the team does not have to be on screen the whole time or even equal time. I just want to think they care about each other and act like they are a team. Even though Sam is my favorite character and I love AT's acting Staragte for me is a team show and I want to see that spirit back in S10.
    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
      After a long absence I am finally back to play with you all. I'v gotta say I missed coming here and posting. But I was able to at least lurk from time to time, and you guys had some great discussions, it was fun to read.

I also have some AT news to share. The Canadian Cancer Society just hosted its 10th annual Diamond Ball and Amanda helped MC the event.
      There are even some pictures of her on the web on Catherine Barr's website. I am not sure about the rules on posting such pictures, so I am not going to do it, but you can go to Catherine Barr's website (here) and simply put Amanda's name in the Google search and it will give you a link to the pictures.
      Thanks Dani - Amanda looks great as always!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        so far, i have FIVE whole votes for sam's season one take two

so folks,please don't forget to vote.

What is your favorite sam eps of s1?
        Solitudes
        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
          Sunny and Mini-

You guys are confusing me! I read Mini's (and Spaz, I think) post about Sam killing Jack and think-wow, think of the dramatic possibilities. That would be awesome.

Then I read Sunny's and I think-yeah, she's right. 100%-I could never handle that!

Then I read Mini's again....and Sunny's and I'm left so torn!

But then, I cried this morning watching the new Yours, Mine, and Ours-so there ya go.

(This post of complete nonsense brought to you by a hefty dose of Benadryl. Darn Jack Russel Terriers.)

DeeJay - stay away from the "Sam kills Jack" stuff. It wil rot your brain and break your shipper heart into a million tiny pieces never to be put back together again.

Shut up spaz& minifreak! (((((spaz & freak))))
          sigpic
          I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
            But I'm digressing a bit. Personally, when it comes to O'neill and Carter, I just want them to do something with it. It's way, way too big of an issue for both O'neill and Carter to just leave hanging out there. It's my opinion that not addressing it at all in season nine hurt both characters, hurt the show, and was overall a quite cowardly course to take. I'm not particuarly concerned whether or not the two wind up together. To a large degree, the writers have already painted themselves into a corner on that answer. I'd just hate to see that whole storyline ignored because it's too hard to deal with or because they're afraid to resolve it and lose all that irreplacable sexual tension. I'm all for keeping the tension up, but there comes a point when it's unrealistic for it to continue without some resolution one way or another. That point is well behind us.
            you might think your post is crap, but i think it's great!

in my opinion, the only time the s/j ship became irksome was when it was stretched out into season 8. s7 settled sam's feelings for jack (hence her tries to talk to him in 'lost city' and her responce to him at the end of the ep), so contining with the sam/pete storyline, AFTER she realized just what her true feelings were for jack in 'lost city'... that was a step backwards to me.

s9, with their literal ignoring of the progress 'threads/moebius' made... again, a step back.

so s10 picking up where s8 left off is great (to me)!

Lastly, I'm afraid you'll have to put me in that camp that thinks it's nuts to believe that the ship ruins Carter's character. I think that very few fans have ever really only seen Carter as one half of a relationship, and I think that the never ending line of one-off romances makes the character far more fictional than any ongoing relationship with O'neill ever could.
            i don't think you can find a bigger sam/jack fan that myself. for my tastes, i'd have them married with two kids already. BUT, for me to think of sam 'only' as a partner to someone else is as ridiculous as seeing sam only as a scientist or soldier. no one is only one thing. no one can *be* only one thing. (how boring would that be?)

when i do stories, i do ship ones AND adventure/team ones. why? because i don't only see sam as one thing. and i can guarantee you that other shippers don't only see sam as half of a partner.

And while I understand that for some people seeing scientist!Sam and soldier!Sam is enough, I want a more completely drawn character. I want that for all the characters. To be honest, I think Daniel's character has been hurt by not developing some of the more personal sides of his nature. It's not about O'neill and Carter getting together so much as it's about making sure this exploration into Carter's personality hasn't been for nothing.

for a person that's not really a shipper, you sure as speaking words i can relate to.

on a slightly different note (that's still related to sam and ship); any fans out there of farscape that liked the john/aeryn ship (please, formerhost, let a sam fan answer)? did any of you think resolving that relationship (them getting together, getting married, having a child) *hurt* the show? or hurt their characters? or hurt the sexual tention (unresolved sexual tention) between them?

i watched 'hart to hart' and 'macmillian and wife' years ago, and both of them were couples that still not only functioned separate from one another, but still retained their incredible spark.

resolving the sexual tention doesn't mean that couples (or storyline) becomes bland. at least to me.

sally
            Last edited by majorsal; 05 April 2006, 02:59 PM.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              My personal POV? I think it's twofold. One, it's a desperate plea to gather more audience (the numbers were not that wonderful this past season, nor the response), and two, I think the plan is to marry Sam and Jack, one way or another, allusion or otherwise, and they want to prepare people for it in advance. And advertise for the "ship" because they want casual viewers to tune in out of curiosity. My POV only.

And I thought it was a FANTASTIC post, gb... loved it completely.
              whimpers

whimpers again

gives up trying to reply and just whimpers

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                Exactly. It really is a team episode despite them being separated. There is really no "B" story, IMHO.
                Edit: oh, and let's not forget the insight we get into Hammond too.
                see, this type of conversation reminds me of the high hopes i had for season 9 (team wise).

like i've said before, i believed that when sam came back, the team would be hers again. BUT, when i let my fantasies run with sg1 consisting of just sam, daniel, and teal'c... oh, the team episodes i saw!

what *is* team? it's not just a few ppl doing something together; it's *caring* about the ppl you're with and having them care about you too. *that's* what's missing with season 9; they're just four ppl doing stuff together.

and having mitchell in there 'as the leader' is what's making it, for me, the barrier to seeing them as a real team. even if they fixed mitchell and had him behave like a responsible commander, i'd still be resentful that he was commanding this team instead of sam. (she did her time, she earned it, she even lead it for a while)

i could get past the resentment i think, but i'd always wish i could see the version *i* want (which is what we saw in season 8, with eps like 'it's good to be king')

and you know, the funny thing is... if mitchell was given to another team, and jack came back and was put in charge of sg1 again... i'd have probs. BECAUSE SAM EARNED IT AND IT WAS HERS AT ONE TIME.

i wish mitchell was a full colonel or something. or a jerk, put in charge of sg1 because of connections. *anything* to explain sam not having it against the type of guy mitchell is/was/has been written.

or sam said, 'i don't want the team'. why? 'because *insert reason(s) a, b, c, or z*

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  LOL, that's really funny because one comment I recall hearing a lot at the con was the fact that Amanda was so much taller than people expected. Which was quite amusing to me, because she and I are pretty close to the same height.
                  and you know what i thought (when i met her two years ago)? that she's not as tall as i thought she'd be.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                    The term "Desperate Measures" keeps popping into my head when I cast my thoughts to it... I'll admit it's surprised me too, but as an unashamed shipper.. honestly I'm just gonna take what I can get.

ME TOO!

i don't want to analyze it, i just want to say 'thank you!'

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

it's alright, mandy, your mental illness can be cured by medications or someone driving over your head.

sally

Originally posted by Ancient 61
                      ROTFLMAO
                      Suuure you laugh now Wait until you have Shipper Sal trying to mow you down
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        Suuure you laugh now Wait until you have Shipper Sal trying to mow you down
                        Poor Mandy. You'll bounce back, you always do! Offers Sally an extra tenner if she does the job properly this time!
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                          Poor Mandy. You'll bounce back, you always do! Offers Sally an extra tenner if she does the job properly this time!
                          Where's minitheTerminatorgeek when I need her Mini!!!

Edit:(Stop lurking, your needed here!)
                          Last edited by Mandysg1; 05 April 2006, 03:54 PM.
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

What, huh? I was tryin' to install SKYPE dammit!

Well, now I got it all installed. Yay, now I can chat with people, lol.

Mandy: You want me to TERMINATE TJ?! Well, ok. But I charge extra for Samandans. There's more guilt involved. Therapy bills, you know.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                              What, huh? I was tryin' to install SKYPE dammit!

Well, now I got it all installed. Yay, now I can chat with people, lol.

Mandy: You want me to TERMINATE TJ?! Well, ok. But I charge extra for Samandans. There's more guilt involved. Therapy bills, you know.
                              The termination of TJ will result in your mini-dismemberment, I assure you. And I do my work for free.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                on a slightly different note (that's still related to sam and ship); any fans out there of farscape that liked the john/aeryn ship (please, formerhost, let a sam fan answer)? did any of you think resolving that relationship (them getting together, getting married, having a child) *hurt* the show? or hurt their characters? or hurt the sexual tention (unresolved sexual tention) between them?

i watched 'hart to hart' and 'macmillian and wife' years ago, and both of them were couples that still not only functioned separate from one another, but still retained their incredible spark.

resolving the sexual tention doesn't mean that couples (or storyline) becomes bland. at least to me.

sally
                                I'm not who you're looking for for an answer to your question, but I hope you don't mind if I pop in to give my two cents. On FS, John and Aeryn didn't get together until the very end of the series. They got back together right at teh end of S4, and in the miniseries, the situation was so dire that we got very few scenes of them together as a couple. In fact, there was still a lot of conflict between them. So really, TPTB of FS made sure to keep John and Aeryn apart until the very end of the series. Though it's hard to tell what they would've done of FS had gone another season. Unfortunately, we never really got a chance to see them as a couple for more than a few eps. I'm not sure if the spark would've stayed or not if they'd been a couple for much longer.

Comment

Working...
                                X