No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG, I know. The city will never be the same again when we're all through with it.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Kudos to Sky for really doing her homework and leading Carmen Argenziano through a terrific in-depth interview!

Ya did good, kiddo! Much success on future scoops!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

And Snog? I think Baltimore's gonna be overrun by Samandans in three months' time. They should be afraid. Very afraid.
        LOL, I think the Trekkies may run over the Samandans considering the groups represented! But I'm sure the Samandans will have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Chants to herself:
          *Oh, I hope it's Amanda. I hope it's Amanda. I hope it's Amanda.*

What?? Oh like everyone else wasn't thinking the same thing!
          so am i.

And no, it's not amanda. Given that Darren & co were going to/hoping to talk to her at Vancouver Con, asking again for july was gonna be a bit soon

a lot of the actors get so many requests that they kinda ration themselves

now if amanda happens to feel like sitting down, dude i am SOOOOO there
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yep, Skydiver's cool for gettin' the scoop on "Dad." I liked that he was really honest about what it's like for actors like himself - ones who pretty much have to audition for everything they get. That's new insight that's really interesting to note. Do you think Teryl Rothery falls into that same category, as well? I guess that's why the stage is such a great (and consistent) outlet for them.

Also, I've been thinking about Sam killing Jack. First of all, the fandom would implode with a mixture of intense glee and sorrow. Shipper guts would be everywhere, while other fans would simply go into catatonic shock from their immense relief. And somewhere in the middle, fans are sobbing. It'd be horrendous and cruel and awful, and the fallout would be insane.

Yet...

That would, as mini so astutely pointed out, be great for AT to play. Because that, I think, would give Sam ample reason to turn to the dark side. If she had to kill Jack because she had no choice in the matter - it was him or Earth, or something - I think the Sam that has been developing over all of these years would morph into something much darker. That would most definitely be cool to see.

So I concede, and take back my kicking and thwapping. For now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              LOL, I think the Trekkies may run over the Samandans considering the groups represented! But I'm sure the Samandans will have fun!
              *shudder*

Don't remind me. No, no, no. Samandans will be easily spotted and represented. We just need those buttons people keep talking about... or something. Maybe a GPS chip in our necks or something? I dunno.

Comment

Yep, Skydiver's cool for gettin' the scoop on "Dad." I liked that he was really honest about what it's like for actors like himself - ones who pretty much have to audition for everything they get. That's new insight that's really interesting to note. Do you think Teryl Rothery falls into that same category, as well? I guess that's why the stage is such a great (and consistent) outlet for them.
                yeah. i mean, ok so tehy make a decent living per job...but when you might only get a few jobs a year, all of a sudden it's not all that great of a living. and you can see why some actors will choose to stay with a series, even if they're not totally happy, just because they gotta pay the bills too

i'm pretty sure that teryl is the same way. One story i heard, why she was chosen as the victim in heroes....s7 confirmation came so late that she'd already lined up more work (the main actors could afford to wait, recurring actorc couldn't) so janet was going to be scarce anyway. so when they wrote this, it was the beginnigns of the latest gulf war, patriotism and awareness of sacrifices were running high, so they decided to kill someone, and since teryl already had jobs lined up, it'd be less painful for her than someone else they would kinda have to 'fire'

then s8 word came but the news had already been leaked and...well they coulda backtracked but, as much as i miss janet, i'm glad they didn't. woulda been very chicken of them to force the happy ending

Also, I've been thinking about Sam killing Jack. First of all, the fandom would implode with a mixture of intense glee and sorrow. Shipper guts would be everywhere, while other fans would simply go into catatonic shock from their immense relief. And somewhere in the middle, fans are sobbing. It'd be horrendous and cruel and awful, and the fallout would be insane.

Yet...

That would, as mini so astutely pointed out, be great for AT to play. Because that, I think, would give Sam ample reason to turn to the dark side. If she had to kill Jack because she had no choice in the matter - it was him or Earth, or something - I think the Sam that has been developing over all of these years would morph into something much darker. That would most definitely be cool to see.

So I concede, and take back my kicking and thwapping. For now.
                can you imagine that? the intensity of a reversal of Entity? but, not just the nebulous 'elliminate the threat' but a 'kill jack or innocent person dies' situation.

jack would expect her to...and we know that she has the skills and dedication ....but could she live with herself and the fallout?
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  yeah. i mean, ok so tehy make a decent living per job...but when you might only get a few jobs a year, all of a sudden it's not all that great of a living. and you can see why some actors will choose to stay with a series, even if they're not totally happy, just because they gotta pay the bills too

i'm pretty sure that teryl is the same way. One story i heard, why she was chosen as the victim in heroes....s7 confirmation came so late that she'd already lined up more work (the main actors could afford to wait, recurring actorc couldn't) so janet was going to be scarce anyway. so when they wrote this, it was the beginnigns of the latest gulf war, patriotism and awareness of sacrifices were running high, so they decided to kill someone, and since teryl already had jobs lined up, it'd be less painful for her than someone else they would kinda have to 'fire'

then s8 word came but the news had already been leaked and...well they coulda backtracked but, as much as i miss janet, i'm glad they didn't. woulda been very chicken of them to force the happy ending
                  I understand the logic of that, but I guess my question is: Why didn't they just kill the father? The whole point of killing Janet was to show that, hey, "important" people (i.e. people we, the viewers, should care about) die like this all the time.

However, by showing that the young father-to-be was important enough to be mourned by the whole of SGC - most importantly, SG-1 - they could've disspelled the idea that the only important members of the SGC are the ones we see all the time. And Janet would still be alive today.

I guess the ending was good enough. They showed that Janet's death wasn't in vain anyway.

can you imagine that? the intensity of a reversal of Entity? but, not just the nebulous 'elliminate the threat' but a 'kill jack or innocent person dies' situation.

jack would expect her to...and we know that she has the skills and dedication ....but could she live with herself and the fallout?
                  There was a great fic that was floating around here a couple of days ago about Teal'c. In fact, I think you posted the link. It was really, really great. Considering the bond that all four of the original characters share(d), I don't see Sam - or any of them - being the same after killing anyone. For tragedy-ship-angst-whatever, it'd be interesting to see how Sam would deal with killing Jack. But, from a purely dramatic perspective, seeing her kill Daniel or Teal'c (they'd be brought back to life of course, ) would be equally traumatic, I think.

But then, of course, there's the issue of whether or not they'd address that. As TPTB have demonstrated, they like to deal more with the plot - and, even then, not even with simple plot logic - rather than character development and dynamics. Look at Daniel and Sam in S8, for instance. Daniel hadn't been there for Gemini, and he'd only heard stories of the chaos RepliCarter created. And then, without warning, he's thrust into this situation where he has to face off with a monster who has the face of one of his best friends.

I think it's suggested that Daniel doesn't remember what happened to him while he was half-ascended, but he did remember what happened to him before that in RepliCarter's ship, right? He would've remembered "Sam" mentally torturing him, warring with him, and then gutting him and leaving him for dead. And Sam would've been overwhelmed with guilt over the fact that it was essentially her actions in Gemini that led up to Daniel being "killed." And though there are reasons and explanations behind her actions in Gemini, she still would've felt beyond horrible.

But they never explored that - they didn't have time, I guess, for many reasons. Yet it would've been a great thing to see between Daniel and Sam, because MS and AT tend to have great chemistry when it comes to the smallest of scenes, especially if Reckoning is anything to go by.

And, as CA mentioned, they didn't even let us see Sam mourn her own father's death. I understood what she meant by being grateful for having Jacob for all those years, but we didn't see Teal'c's response or Daniel's response to Sam losing her father. Yet another opportunity missed because the action took precedence.

I guess I just wonder if they would handle Jack's death, Sam's guilt and Daniel and Teal'c's sorrow properly, or if they would simply gloss over it, and move on to the next big Ori threat.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                    But as for me, I would hope a strong, funny, quirky romantic love would be part of her future. (But that’s only my own humble opinions and I guess that’s part of the idealistic romantic in me…)
                    Oh I like the idea of ship - and think the issue should be resolved in favour of them getting together - it has dragged on long enough for it not to go somewhere. I just don't really want to see too much of it in the show and I'm with bink in thinking the writers may make it a main character arc for Sam - and do it badly. Also it may leave no character arc when RDA is not around.

I like the sam/jack fics a lot - I don't think a relationship is bad for Sam I just think that with all the goings on recently I'm worried it may be the only hook in the show Sam has. I want 100% focus on her development and being a part of SG1.

I'm surprised for RDA coming back for 5 eps and saying he's really looking forward to it and asking his fans if they wrote letters to the producers saying they were missing him!!

Maybe they are thinking of spinning off with the boy coops characters in season 11 and reuniting the old sg1 and crew - that would be nice eh - it would make everyone happy - oh but back to no ship?!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                      I'm surprised for RDA coming back for 5 eps and saying he's really looking forward to it and asking his fans if they wrote letters to the producers saying they were missing him!!
                      He said that? That's nice!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        Chants to herself:
                        *Oh, I hope it's Amanda. I hope it's Amanda. I hope it's Amanda.*

What?? Oh like everyone else wasn't thinking the same thing!
                        Yep thinking the same thing! also thinking how great it would be if a fellow Samandan got to interview our Queen, how great is that!
                        ......TARA......

Comment

Wonderful interview, Sky! Great questions (Geek!) and such detailed answers, too. A fascinating peek into the life of an actor. Many kudos to both you and Carmen.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

it's alright, mandy, your mental illness can be cured by medications or someone driving over your head.

sally
                            ROTFLMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                              But knows how UST or RST works or doesn't work on TV in general or even in particular, you know what TV series I mean, right? and that was exactly about it They've asked Ben to be positive about it, Claudia to be careful about it and Chris to be funny about it. That's it. And it was very lovely
                              Again, we'll just have to agree to disagree. 'nough said.
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                                Yep thinking the same thing! also thinking how great it would be if a fellow Samandan got to interview our Queen, how great is that!
                                As long as said Samandan doesn't actually call Amanda, "our queen" during the interview, that is.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X