Clear All

so far, i have FIVE whole votes for sam's season one take two

so folks,please don't forget to vote.

What is your favorite sam eps of s1?
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      I agreed with that when both Sam and Jack were on the same team. I don't agree that it'll diminish Sam one bit now that they're no longer in a direct line. No more than Sam having a relationship or RST with any other male would diminish her. She's strong enough to stand on her own AND be involved in a healthy, established relationship. I'd rather the series didn't turn her scenes into a dwell-a-thon of Sam's romantic angst, but having them allude to RST between Sam and Jack and/or even stating that the two of them got married would, imho, only serve to solidify Sam's character evolution. snip, snip
      I wanted to address just this point. I do not object to Carter having a relationship - that is not what would make a strong, intelligent, heroic, leader weak or diminish the character - it is TPOTB and their unbelievably bad way of handling Carter when they try to write her this way at all, unless they leave it subtle. IMO they almost ruined the character with that chimera/affinity crapola - the Carter I thought I knew for 6 1/2 years (at the point in time chimera-disaster aired) would NEVER, EVER have behaved the way she did in the second half of that episode (it remined me of a teenaged high-school girl who would do anything to keep a boyfriend and it made me sick) - it pi$$ed me off no end that they did that to this character (my opinions are well voiced on the chimera, etc. threads from long ago so I will not repeat any of them as it would also disgust me to have to go back into that dark and ugly time).

I will be 100% honest with you, and most of you know how strongly I feel about the integrity and respect of this character, but the second half of chimera and the ending of affinity took a good chunk of the respect I had for the character and threw it out the proverbial window. It took me quite a while to get back to really respecting the character and pretending that second half and affintiy never existed. I blame the lame PTB and thier inability to write this character in that regard.

I also took issue with the way TPTB put it on Carter to dump pete - they never, ever should have had her engaged -- I have never, and will never watch Threads and that is sad for me because I would have liked to have seen what AT did with the Jacob scene but I will have to live with that. TPTB SUCK WIND at writing this stuff as a main character story or arc, especially for Carter (and after hearing what AT said about cooper and the end of affinity I lay a lot of the blame on cooper and his inability as showrunner.) The S/J ship was fine when it was subtle and that is when I had no problem with it because most of the time, with their talent and ability, RDA and AT could play it for everything it was worth but not hit me upside the head with it (someone who did not want, and does not want, to be thwacked in the side of the head with it.) Fine allude to the fact they are a couple but leave it at that and focus on Carter as a strong, intelligent, soldier, scientist leader who is a hero in no uncertain terms.

Gotta go - L&W SVU is on (I hope that TPTB at L&O SVU are better at their jobs than cooper and co., and that Mariska Hargitay/Olivia Benson doesn't find herself relegated to expsition girl or wallpaper when she returns from maternitiy leave in favor of a sexed up cartoon character or a second male lead).

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        or like in NCIS, when tony put a medal of gibbs' in a locked box in a drawer....with about a dozen more

in reality, sam really needs some more fruit salad on her dress blues. she's certainly deserved it. Unless, of course, like command, medals are something only the boys get
        I've been thinking that for years - she saved the earth from an asteroid, for goodness sake and that's just one of many things she's done through the years...

Every time she's in her dress blues I look to see if they've added anything, for someone who has gone on as many missions as she has and saved the day as many times as she has, she should have a lot more, I would think..

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          Ahhh everyone's being very shippy at the moment. Not a shipper myself so I'm hoping that the return of Jack in season 10 won't divert any decent Sam soldier/Scientist stuff into Sam and Jack ship - there is only so much air time Sam will get on any episode. I would like a quick resolution and then to move on.

Having said that the return of RDA for more than episode 200 (which is what is rumoured at the moment) has come as a surprise to me. TPTB have done their best to avoid any mention of Jack at all. Now all of a sudden he will be back for a few eps and they are doing all they can to publicise the ship between Sam and Jack. This smells to me like TPTB are panicking over ratings.

I must admit I'm annoyed about it. What the writers need to do is just get sensible - write some decent team episodes, make Cam a believable leader and Vala a more meaningful character and also to make Carter a significant part of SG1 - Not have her air time taken up with ship which has nothing to do with the show anymore.

Yes I'm ducking may head as all the shippers throw stuff at me and try to run me out of Samanda. I see this as a backward step for Carter - depending on how much time they devote to it. They should be spending time developing Carters role in the new format - not dragging her back to times past.
          Now Coley, why would we throw penguins or shipper cookies or anything else at you? (And wouldn’t the border guards (can’t remember who they were) stop you at the royal gates before you tried to leap the moat? )

Everyone is entitled to their own POV and that’s what normally makes the thread great, that we can respectfully agree to disagree and still honor the person behind the differing opinion.

But as for me, I would hope a strong, funny, quirky romantic love would be part of her future. (But that’s only my own humble opinions and I guess that’s part of the idealistic romantic in me…) (The RL realist in me would hope that she would have her needs met and that her romantic/emotional needs would not be totally avoided by the writers and the corporate suits.) As compassionate and passionate as I see the character as, IMOHO, it’d be a disservice to hide those traits behind total science or total command modes.
          Having the cast talk about the ship is also quite bizzare to my mind. Especially asking CB to comment on it which IMO is wholly unfair - and demonstrates that TPTB are quite happy to use any and all actors to pimp the show in the direction of the day. CB has had nothing to do with the ship - why ask her about it - she should be asked to comment on more relavant topics for her - season 9 and 10 and the development of her character.
          Ah… but perhaps the inference to viewers is supposed that she watches it? That she has the behind the scenes scoop? I don’t know, I didn’t watch it last night. Haven’t had the time lately to watch the Monday Night Marathons on SciFi (plus we were having a long thunderstorm right about then, so….)

But if the theme is an pre-S9 ship and they wish to show attract and lure the many newer viewers who’ve never caught a pre-S9 ep into watching it, then yep, I can understand why they’re trying to market it using both old and new characters. Though I'm not so sure that lumping the older eps into themes is such a great idea. But I do see it as a lure to (forcibly) try to get the newest viewers to tune into the older eps. (Which is a very good idea, especially if they connect with the old arcs and earlier character traits.) But the marketing of it... ah well... nothing new given what we saw this past year....
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by starprops
            I've been thinking that for years - she saved the earth from an asteroid, for goodness sake and that's just one of many things she's done through the years...

Every time she's in her dress blues I look to see if they've added anything, for someone who has gone on as many missions as she has and saved the day as many times as she has, she should have a lot more, I would think..
            Yea you would think that she would at least have as many as Jack had at the beginning of the series, but not even close
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally Posted by Minigeek
              My personal POV? I think it's twofold. One, it's a desperate plea to gather more audience (the numbers were not that wonderful this past season, nor the response), and two, I think the plan is to marry Sam and Jack, one way or another, allusion or otherwise, and they want to prepare people for it in advance. And advertise for the "ship" because they want casual viewers to tune in out of curiosity. My POV only.
              I'll buy stock in reason one right now. Reason two, on the other hand, seems like a less sound investment. I think marriage is unlikely. Unless, of course, you're using marry in the "put them together" manner of speaking and not in the marital bliss sort of way. I don't see either Sam or Jack feeling the need to validate their "relationship" with a ceremony, writ, whatever. Their relationship is far too unconventional for the "they lived happily ever after" ending to work. Sam and Jack are more unique than that.

Originally Posted by ShimmeringStar
              Because there are no idiots golfbooy!
              No need to humor me. I'm well schooled in my own idiocy. It's OK, it keeps me grounded. Every time I do something good, I get to say to myself, "Yeah, nice job, but don't forget you're still a complete tool." Case in point, I keep trying this whole self-deprecating thing when we all know I'm full of it. My ego is huge, way bigger than Mckay's. I'm talking supergate-sized here, folks. Seriously, I make Apophis look insecure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                I have a question for you Kat, what episode was the first pic from?
                It was from the Science of Stargate special AT did last year.

Comment

i agree. someoen in the props department should do a little research and give sam another helping of fruit salad. she adn jack should have the purple heart at least once (i'm trying to think of a combat sitaation where she got owied. i know jack does for heroes)

she and jack have done a lot of medal earning activities. it'd be nice if they'd 'fix' that

sigpic

Comment

Fly-by OT post...

*1 hour and a half until teh ultimate SVU episode*

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                      Fly-by OT post...

*1 hour and a half until teh ultimate SVU episode*
                      do not miss 25 after to 30 after

sigpic

Comment

Sorry, am I missing something there, Sky? Cos that doesn't make any sense to me
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

'sometimes that brooding intensity is annoying'

some dang good acting

now i'm drooling at the thought of them ever doing something like this on SG1...major chracter issues

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            Sorry, am I missing something there, Sky? Cos that doesn't make any sense to me
                            in svu

very good show

for those that see it, imagine how it'd be played out if sam was part of it....such as if there was a similar situiation in the sG universe

sigpic

Comment

'sometimes that brooding intensity is annoying'

some dang good acting

now i'm drooling at the thought of them ever doing something like this on SG1...major chracter issues
                              Ack! Stop teasing me!!!

/me kicks the West Coast

Comment

in svu

very good show

for those that see it, imagine how it'd be played out if sam was part of it....such as if there was a similar situiation in the sG universe
                                Did you ever get that PM from me, Sky? GW was being kinda hinky that day...

Comment

Working...
                                X