No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find I have to agree with AT herself, when she said S/J should never get together. I don't mind the UST, they obviously do have feelings for each other, but I don't think it should go to be RST, I think it would diminish the character of Sam. Sorry Shippers
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      I find I have to agree with AT herself, when she said S/J should never get together. I don't mind the UST, they obviously do have feelings for each other, but I don't think it should go to be RST, I think it would diminish the character of Sam. Sorry Shippers
      I agreed with that when both Sam and Jack were on the same team. I don't agree that it'll diminish Sam one bit now that they're no longer in a direct line. No more than Sam having a relationship or RST with any other male would diminish her. She's strong enough to stand on her own AND be involved in a healthy, established relationship. I'd rather the series didn't turn her scenes into a dwell-a-thon of Sam's romantic angst, but having them allude to RST between Sam and Jack and/or even stating that the two of them got married would, imho, only serve to solidify Sam's character evolution. It's not "about" her relationship(s) (with Jack or Pete or anyone else), it's about the fact that she knows what she wants now and she's not afraid to go after it, while still maintaining her integrity both emotional and professional. I really do want to see that canon-ized on screen. Because Strong!Sam is my favorite Sam, and as long as she keeps getting persistently hit on by every alien of the week (or even Barrett every single time he drops by), I think that does more damange to her character than allowing her to say she's got her life in order now, she's with someone she loves, and she can concentrate on saving the world (again), because she doesn't have to concentrate so hard on what's "emotionally wrong" with her life.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
        Not to take this down the sugary, slopelike path of 24/7 ship talk, but...

If RDA/Jack were still on the show on a regular basis, I'd totally agree with ya, Mandy. The whole point of UST with two characters is to have that angst - which AT and RDA played so well when they were given carte blanche of a scene - and you can't have angst, if Jack's calling Sam's lab asking her what's for dinner, or... whatever. That's for fic anyway.

But, because RDA/Jack are not going to be on the show on a regular basis, and because the current team dynamic won't be affected by how Jack and Sam interact or supposedly interact in S10, I don't see a reason for them NOT to resolve it - or at least to say that it's been resolved in some way.

As Sky said, this is probably going to be the last season that it'll be an issue. And if they're reinforcing Sam's "lover" side with her soldier/scientist/take-charge side next season, then I don't think I'll see it as an issue.

But if they're going to devolve into Utter Crapdom, then I could really leave the ship for the people who know how to handle it. The fans.

That's right, AD and Lys: The FIC-WRITING SHIPPERS.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          I agreed with that when both Sam and Jack were on the same team. I don't agree that it'll diminish Sam one bit now that they're no longer in a direct line. No more than Sam having a relationship or RST with any other male would diminish her. She's strong enough to stand on her own AND be involved in a healthy, established relationship. I'd rather the series didn't turn her scenes into a dwell-a-thon of Sam's romantic angst, but having them allude to RST between Sam and Jack and/or even stating that the two of them got married would, imho, only serve to solidify Sam's character evolution. It's not "about" her relationship(s) (with Jack or Pete or anyone else), it's about the fact that she knows what she wants now and she's not afraid to go after it, while still maintaining her integrity both emotional and professional. I really do want to see that canon-ized on screen. Because Strong!Sam is my favorite Sam, and as long as she keeps getting persistently hit on by every alien of the week (or even Barrett every single time he drops by), I think that does more damange to her character than allowing her to say she's got her life in order now, she's with someone she loves, and she can concentrate on saving the world (again), because she doesn't have to concentrate so hard on what's "emotionally wrong" with her life.
          You know mini if they were able to handle it the way you suggested, I'd be all for it, but given the way TPTB have been in the last season I don't hold out for any hope that they'd be able to pull it off without diminishing her character as Sam 1/2 of Sam and Jack and that's all she is
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
            Ahhh everyone's being very shippy at the moment. Not a shipper myself so I'm hoping that the return of Jack in season 10 won't divert any decent Sam soldier/Scientist stuff into Sam and Jack ship - there is only so much air time Sam will get on any episode. I would like a quick resolution and then to move on.

Having said that the return of RDA for more than episode 200 (which is what is rumoured at the moment) has come as a surprise to me. TPTB have done their best to avoid any mention of Jack at all. Now all of a sudden he will be back for a few eps and they are doing all they can to publicise the ship between Sam and Jack. This smells to me like TPTB are panicking over ratings.

I must admit I'm annoyed about it. What the writers need to do is just get sensible - write some decent team episodes, make Cam a believable leader and Vala a more meaningful character and also to make Carter a significant part of SG1 - Not have her air time taken up with ship which has nothing to do with the show anymore.

Yes I'm ducking may head as all the shippers throw stuff at me and try to run me out of Samanda. I see this as a backward step for Carter - depending on how much time they devote to it. They should be spending time developing Carter's role in the new format - not dragging her back to times past.

Having the cast talk about the ship is also quite bizzare to my mind. Especially asking CB to comment on it which IMO is wholly unfair - and demonstrates that TPTB are quite happy to use any and all actors to pimp the show in the direction of the day. CB has had nothing to do with the ship - why ask her about it - she should be asked to comment on more relevant topics for her - season 9 and 10 and the development of her character.

Anyway it is nice to see that the ratings dip has sunk through and TPTB are now panicking about it. Perhaps some accountant has been on the line talking about the additional cast budget top heavy with "name" actors and guest stars followed by a dip in the ratings. Boy would I be having words with the suits about producers failing to deliver.

I think I shall retire whilst I can still walk!!
            My dear Royal Accountant

Seeing that you have posted this massive critique past your bedtime, methinks that your knickers are in quite a twist. May I suggest a strong nightcap to help you relax? Perhaps a swig of the sloe gin.

You have made some interesting and debatable points. Heaven knows, the Queen deserves to move forward in the new season and be all that she can be. To be or not to be, that is the question. Whether to suffer the outrageous slings of poor writing and sloppy shipping, or to shine, shine, shine in the realms of science and martial arts. Indeed, verily, forsooth, and all that jazz ... we loyal Samandans demand the best for HRH.

The scribes of a distant land have been in control of the Queen's destiny far too long. Their bean counting has obviously not produced the lucrative results which were expected as part of the annual tally. What shouldst they do next? Oh cruel Fate. Do they get her to a nunnery? Or bring back excitement and raise expectation by the return of the King?

Hound's blood, this ruler has been too long gone ... his manner, his swagger, his humour, his dagger ... all sorely missed by many in the kingdom and, if truth be told, by the Queen herself. Perchance 'tis the stuff that dreams are made of (or Jester's latest tale), and do take heart, dear RA. Take heart! The sweet Queen is a mature woman who knows how to continue on her merrie independent way. No taming-of-the-shrew histrionics are called for. Merely a meeting of two royal souls who now have some distance between them and thus more wherewithal to reunite and take their respective libidos to the private chambers for some meaningful, er, discussion. A kiss or two, a jug of wine or sloe gin ... a royal flush! Did thee not know the couple love to play cards? Thou shouldst not bedgrudge the two these venial pleasures. The king will soon be on the road once again, whilst our dear Queen will be left to run the kingdom with her faithful entourage.

Yes, this wise ruler is quite capable of being discreet without sacrificing her wit, wisdom, independence, quantum theory, integrity and combat boots. If any woman were up to the task, 'tis she.

So let the games begin. Think well of the poor huddling masses of Samanda who yearn for a fortuitous resolution of the age-old question: Is there really a royal lid for every royal pot?

Be patient, dear bean counter, be patient. Go gently amidst the temptation to think poorly of the king's return. I am certain that our fair lady is up to handling her personal matters whilst maintaining control of her P90 as well.

Sleep well, dear friend. This too shall pass.

Your humble colleague,

Jester

Comment

Dude. Did you just call Jack "the king?!"

Heads are about to roll.

Comment

Can someone who is familiar with US military regs answer a question please? Is the person who is directly responsible for one's duty assignments (postings) considered to be in one's direct line of command?

P.S. "king"? er... no, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                  Can someone who is familiar with US military regs answer a question please? Is the person who is directly responsible for one's duty assignments (postings) considered to be in one's direct line of command?

P.S. "king"? er... no, thank you!
                  I'm not an expert, but I would say yes. If the responsibility is theirs to determine new assignments/postings then that infers direct chain of command, to me. I believe there are also command positions that can "influence" one's postings, but which are not explicitly considered directly part of one's direct CoC.

Comment

In my opinion, the issue isn't the ship. Either they'll correct what they've been doing with Sam or they won't.

If they give her more respect in S10, then there will plenty of time for both ship (delivering satisfaction without doing violence to Sam or Jack) and Sam in her various capacities as an AF LTC.

If they don't fix the problem, then the presence of ship (to the detriment of other elements) won't matter. They would just find some other way to anger Sam's fans if the ship storyline weren't there. From my own perspective, at least I would be getting some ship out of a bad deal.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                      Dude. Did you just call Jack "the king?!"

Heads are about to roll.
                      I agree, Spazzy. Seeing as Amanda is the Queen and the reigning monarch in the realm of Samanda, RDA is not the King (the title of Kind is only given to the male reigning monarch) but the consort. Therefore, his official title is Prince!
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying the Solitudes discussion. I think that it's still one of the top ten best SG-1 episodes ever. And despite my rather unenthusiastic views of the work he's done on Atlantis, every time that I see certain SG-1 episodes that Brad Wright has written, my esteem for him as a writer and producer goes right back through the roof. Solitudes is one of those episodes. It is a terrific script based on a superb idea. Every single one of the actors is awesome in Solitudes, RDA and AT most of all. The sparse, unembellished setting and almost nonexistent lighting in the crevasse work beatifully in making the two characters, O'neill and Carter, the main focus of the story. The interaction and experience that these two people are going through is entirely engaging. Stories and episodes like this are peppered throughout SG-1's long run, and they're the main reason why I'm so damn disappointed in season nine.

Episodes such as Solitudes give the actors so much room to really make the characters work, to give them genuine depth and feeling. SG-1 didn't become so close simply because the writers called them "SG-1", slapped some patches on their shoulders and stuck'em in a obscene looking space ship. SG-1 became so close because the show used to focus on the shared experiences of the four leads. Let me put it another way. If this episode was written today, the most important part of Solitudes would be the fact that we found a second stargate. And, sure, that was really cool and important back then too. But the existence of a second stargate is entirely an afterthought in Solitudes. The closing shot of the episode is the second gate, and it's the first time in the episode where you pull back and realize, "oh yeah, holy crap, it's another gate!". That's a testament to how powerful the script is, and it's a testament to how spectacular AT and RDA were in the episode. They made that episode about Carter and O'neill.

As far as The Ship goes, well, I don't know. I am rather shocked at the recent pimping of the O'neill/Carter relationship. I am shocked at the seeming ribald, forthright answers that are being given by the actors, and I'm honestly surprised by the promos Scifi aired last night. That sort of thing just isn't done. Such complete pandering to a "lost" segment of the audience hasn't been seen since Corin Nemec's name became anathema back in season seven. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I don't think it is. I'm just very surpised to see such a spectacularly unabashed turnaround after all of the talk of New Stargate and a "ship free" season nine. Add to that the fact that RDA is going to be doing what seems like very significant guest shots, and I'm having a hard time seeing this as anything other than a strategic retreat. I'm just happy that they know when to retreat. There's no point in going down with the ship if there's a life vest hanging in the closet. (Don't worry, that pun is so terrible that I'm actually cringing, too.)

But I'm digressing a bit. Personally, when it comes to O'neill and Carter, I just want them to do something with it. It's way, way too big of an issue for both O'neill and Carter to just leave hanging out there. It's my opinion that not addressing it at all in season nine hurt both characters, hurt the show, and was overall a quite cowardly course to take. I'm not particuarly concerned whether or not the two wind up together. To a large degree, the writers have already painted themselves into a corner on that answer. I'd just hate to see that whole storyline ignored because it's too hard to deal with or because they're afraid to resolve it and lose all that irreplacable sexual tension. I'm all for keeping the tension up, but there comes a point when it's unrealistic for it to continue without some resolution one way or another. That point is well behind us.

Lastly, I'm afraid you'll have to put me in that camp that thinks it's nuts to believe that the ship ruins Carter's character. I think that very few fans have ever really only seen Carter as one half of a relationship, and I think that the never ending line of one-off romances makes the character far more fictional than any ongoing relationship with O'neill ever could. And while I understand that for some people seeing scientist!Sam and soldier!Sam is enough, I want a more completely drawn character. I want that for all the characters. To be honest, I think Daniel's character has been hurt by not developing some of the more personal sides of his nature. It's not about O'neill and Carter getting together so much as it's about making sure this exploration into Carter's personality hasn't been for nothing.

PS
                        I'm so unhappy with this post at the moment that I'm tempted to use the delete key to annihilate it. It wouldn't be the first time. However, due to the previous protestations of some, I'm posting this piece of trash anyway. Just know that what I've written inaccurately conveys what I'm trying to say, and that I'm most displeased with it. That Pieta has one leg for a reason, and while I still think it's a masterpiece, I can understand where Michelangelo is coming from. Not that I'm saying anything about this post is a masterpiece. It's really not. Christ, my postscript is a whole freakin' paragraph. I'm done. UGH. Back to lurking. Why is there no "idiot" smiley?

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy

As far as The Ship goes, well, I don't know. I am rather shocked at the recent pimping of the O'neill/Carter relationship. I am shocked at the seeming ribald, forthright answers that are being given by the actors, and I'm honestly surprised by the promos Scifi aired last night. That sort of thing just isn't done.
                          My personal POV? I think it's twofold. One, it's a desperate plea to gather more audience (the numbers were not that wonderful this past season, nor the response), and two, I think the plan is to marry Sam and Jack, one way or another, allusion or otherwise, and they want to prepare people for it in advance. And advertise for the "ship" because they want casual viewers to tune in out of curiosity. My POV only.

And I thought it was a FANTASTIC post, gb... loved it completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            I agree, Spazzy. Seeing as Amanda is the Queen and the reigning monarch in the realm of Samanda, RDA is not the King (the title of Kind is only given to the male reigning monarch) but the consort. Therefore, his official title is Prince!
                            Hmm? what about Royal Gigolo
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i haven't been able to log in all day, but I just wanted to fly by and say thanks to everyone who greened me yesterday...I had a lot of fun writing the paper and getting to mention us in the Kingdom of Samanda!

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
                              My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
                              My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
                              My Stargate Videos
                              It's meant to be!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

Although I have to say, one of the reasons I love Solitudes so much is because we got to see the geniune concern SG-1 had for one another. During the course of this episode, we saw Sam do everything in her power to try to get herself and Jack back to the SGC. We saw Sam and Jack's initial concern for Daniel and Teal'c when they realized they were not with them, Jack's concern for Sam when he ordered her to leave him and as well as Teal'c/Daniel's concern by their never giving up on the idea of finding their teammates.

Even in the first season of Stargate, we could already see this amazing bond between these four characters and it felt real and natural. This is something that I felt has been missing throughout season nine. Solitudes was a beautifully written and directed episode that proved that the members of SG-1 could be separated and yet utilize all of the characters in a way that we still felt a bond between them. I also thought it was cool how Daniel figured out where Sam and Jack were.
                                Exactly. It really is a team episode despite them being separated. There is really no "B" story, IMHO.
                                Edit: oh, and let's not forget the insight we get into Hammond too.
                                Last edited by jckfan55; 04 April 2006, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X