- Politics:
    Spoiler:

- Within the Serpent's Grasp:
    Spoiler:

Thanks again to Skydiver for her help.

Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
      I *so* hadn't figured that out by the list of episodes. I don't see Solitudes as shippy at all. He's still pining for Sara.
      I guess this is where we all see the same scene differently. I didn't see the scene with Jack calling out Sara's name as him pining for her. I don't doubt that Jack loved Sara when he was with her, but if he really did want to have a relationship with Sara he would have tried to get back together with her after Cold Lazarus.

What I saw was a man who was dying and in a delusional state he called out to someone whom he had loved very much, but I wouldn't consider it as him pining.

However, I would also agree that I don't believe Solitudes was written to be especially shippy, however, the whole sidearm comments and Sam giggling into Jack's chest could be considered somewhat flirtatious. Which is what I really enjoyed about S/J's early relationship.
      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 04 April 2006, 01:48 PM.

Comment

i seee the 'sara' bit as a sign that jack was pretty far gone, delirious and calling for the woman that was his wife for over a decade

as to the giggling and side arm comment....jack's a perceptive guy and was seeing that she needed to be cheered up a bit.

survival isn't just a physical act, it's mental too. and if sam gives into despair, she's dead. he was doing what little he could to console/comfort her

YMMV of course
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

BE2A-s1
          ahh, decisions, decisions. BC (shipper smile), ToT (sci/soldier!sam, of Singularity (loving!sam).
          Torment of Tantalus

EDIT: darn! this is me not reading directions. I thought we were supposed to vote on our favorite pic! (come on, you can't blame a girl! slam me with all these wonderful sam pics, and I'm bound to get distracted!)

SINGULARITY
          Last edited by ParadoxRealities; 04 April 2006, 06:15 PM.
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            Yep, and she may have done that too, they probably extracted what they needed from longer interview segments so they can do their "theme night" bits.

I can't wait to see more of what Amanda has to say as these "theme nights" progress. I always love reading/hearing her own insights into Carter.
            That's possible, but you know..it looked kinda akward, ya know. I mean that's like asking me to discuss your relationship with your signifiicant other, for example. I know you sort of, but that doesn't mean I have enough knowledge to discuss that aspect of your life...right?

That's what I was referring to with Claud's comments (don't worry Sky, I'll get back to Sam in a second).

As for Amanda comments...I missed them. I only saw the eps "Grace" (I think that's it...the one where Sam gets a bad concusion and starts talking to herself - you know Daniel, Teal'C, Jacob, and finally Jack - and sees that little girl) it's an awesome eps! I especially loved her getting snarky with DanielSam (cause they were all basically manifestations of various parts of her ego/personality) and then the last scene before she got everyone out. Hmmmmm did this lil' shipper's heart good to see it.
            (see Sky, I kept it to Sam. )
            sigpic
            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              i seee the 'sara' bit as a sign that jack was pretty far gone, delirious and calling for the woman that was his wife for over a decade

as to the giggling and side arm comment....jack's a perceptive guy and was seeing that she needed to be cheered up a bit.

survival isn't just a physical act, it's mental too. and if sam gives into despair, she's dead. he was doing what little he could to console/comfort her

YMMV of course
              Very true, however, I just can't see Jack making the same sort of comment to Daniel if they were in similar situations together.

Although I have to say, one of the reasons I love Solitudes so much is because we got to see the geniune concern SG-1 had for one another. During the course of this episode, we saw Sam do everything in her power to try to get herself and Jack back to the SGC. We saw Sam and Jack's initial concern for Daniel and Teal'c when they realized they were not with them, Jack's concern for Sam when he ordered her to leave him and as well as Teal'c/Daniel's concern by their never giving up on the idea of finding their teammates.

Even in the first season of Stargate, we could already see this amazing bond between these four characters and it felt real and natural. This is something that I felt has been missing throughout season nine. Solitudes was a beautifully written and directed episode that proved that the members of SG-1 could be separated and yet utilize all of the characters in a way that we still felt a bond between them. I also thought it was cool how Daniel figured out where Sam and Jack were.

Comment

I'd green ya spazzy-monster ... but it just won't let me! Well said.

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                Yep. There were a couple of turning points between them - purely as friends, if you're so inclined - where you could see that the captain who'd walked into the briefing room, with a chip on her shoulder, and the colonel who'd recently been forced out of retirement were no more. It's a nice change.

That's one of the things that keeps me going, really. The opportunity to look back at episodes in Seasons 1 through 3, and just kinda laugh at how "young" they all were, how fresh their dynamic was.

I think they were trying to recapture that this year with the new team. While the dynamic is different, I don't really see it as fresh. It was my hope that it would be that way, and I'm sure I'm not alone. But, in reality, the relationships between Sam and Daniel, Sam and Teal'c and Daniel and Teal'c were nothing new. And they had issues even recapturing that, which most likely made creating a fresh/new dynamic all the more difficult.

It may be the shipper in me, but when I look back at season one, it looks like they were trying to create some kind of tension between Sam and Jack from Day One. Perhaps had the show always been called "Stargate Command," where Sam, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c were all best friends within the SGC, they would've been able to clearly and actively pursue a relationship for Sam and Jack, because (to me) the sparks were always there.

Nevertheless, knowing that the actual "ship" apparently didn't come to their minds until later, it's interesting to imagine the kind of variables that contributed to the chip on Sam's shoulder. What made her behave like that so brazenly, considering she really was - and to some extent is - a very straightlaced, by the books, soldier? What contributed to her cynicism in that regard, that was wholly disregarded when it came to the pure wonder of looking at the Stargate's event horizon for the first time?

It's that dynamic between a captain who's used to getting somewhat picked on (the look she gave Jack and Kawalski on Chulak still makes me laugh out loud), and the scientist who's used to thinking outside the realm and barriers of physics... It's gotta be great to play as an actor, I'm sure. And I bet, if it was a conscious aspect on the part of the writers, it was very cool to create.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                  It was one of the first episodes where I really started to see what a great actress Amanda is. When Sam gets so frustrated at her inability to fix the DHD... I could just feel it. She reacted in a very believable -and feminine- way. You know, men get frustrated and angry, and they curse, swear, and hit things. Women get angry and frustrated, and they may do all of that, but they also fight tears. Amanda played it perfectly.
                  Totally. Women and men are different creatures in many ways, and biologically speaking, we do (as a general trend) tend to handle our stressors in different ways. Amanda's brilliant, no question about it.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I thought that Jack had partially regressed back to the time he was telling Sam about when he had been injured and thinking of Sara was what got him through it.

YMMV of course
                    I think you're right about that.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Ahhh everyone's being very shippy at the moment. Not a shipper myself so I'm hoping that the return of Jack in season 10 won't divert any decent Sam soldier/Scientist stuff into Sam and Jack ship - there is only so much air time Sam will get on any episode. I would like a quick resolution and then to move on.

Having said that the return of RDA for more than episode 200 (which is what is rumoured at the moment) has come as a surprise to me. TPTB have done their best to avoid any mention of Jack at all. Now all of a sudden he will be back for a few eps and they are doing all they can to publicise the ship between Sam and Jack. This smells to me like TPTB are panicking over ratings.

I must admit I'm annoyed about it. What the writers need to do is just get sensible - write some decent team episodes, make Cam a believable leader and Vala a more meaningful character and also to make Carter a significant part of SG1 - Not have her air time taken up with ship which has nothing to do with the show anymore.

Yes I'm ducking may head as all the shippers throw stuff at me and try to run me out of Samanda. I see this as a backward step for Carter - depending on how much time they devote to it. They should be spending time developing Carters role in the new format - not dragging her back to times past.

Having the cast talk about the ship is also quite bizzare to my mind. Especially asking CB to comment on it which IMO is wholly unfair - and demonstrates that TPTB are quite happy to use any and all actors to pimp the show in the direction of the day. CB has had nothing to do with the ship - why ask her about it - she should be asked to comment on more relavant topics for her - season 9 and 10 and the development of her character.

Anyway it is nice to see that the ratings dip has sunk through and TPTB are now panicking about it. Perhaps some accountant has been on the line talking about the additional cast budget top heavy with "name" actors and guest stars followed by a dip in the ratings. Boy would I be having words with the suits about producers failing to deliver.

I think I shall retire whilst I can still walk!!

Comment

Hehehehe, Coley, sweetie, I can totally see where you're coming from, despite being a shipper. As much as I love Sam/Jack ship, I don't want it at the expense of quality Sam storylines. I'd much rather have ship moments with a good resolution and plenty of leftover time for real good team storylines and nice scientist/soldier/ex-tok'ra-host/friendship Sam moments.
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                          Ahhh everyone's being very shippy at the moment. Not a shipper myself so I'm hoping that the return of Jack in season 10 won't divert any decent Sam soldier/Scientist stuff into Sam and Jack ship - there is only so much air time Sam will get on any episode. I would like a quick resolution and then to move on.

Having said that the return of RDA for more than episode 200 (which is what is rumoured at the moment) has come as a surprise to me. TPTB have done their best to avoid any mention of Jack at all. Now all of a sudden he will be back for a few eps and they are doing all they can to publicise the ship between Sam and Jack. This smells to me like TPTB are panicking over ratings.

I must admit I'm annoyed about it. What the writers need to do is just get sensible - write some decent team episodes, make Cam a believable leader and Vala a more meaningful character and also to make Carter a significant part of SG1 - Not have her air time taken up with ship which has nothing to do with the show anymore.

Yes I'm ducking may head as all the shippers throw stuff at me and try to run me out of Samanda. I see this as a backward step for Carter - depending on how much time they devote to it. They should be spending time developing Carters role in the new format - not dragging her back to times past.

Having the cast talk about the ship is also quite bizzare to my mind. Especially asking CB to comment on it which IMO is wholly unfair - and demonstrates that TPTB are quite happy to use any and all actors to pimp the show in the direction of the day. CB has had nothing to do with the ship - why ask her about it - she should be asked to comment on more relavant topics for her - season 9 and 10 and the development of her character.

Anyway it is nice to see that the ratings dip has sunk through and TPTB are now panicking about it. Perhaps some accountant has been on the line talking about the additional cast budget top heavy with "name" actors and guest stars followed by a dip in the ratings. Boy would I be having words with the suits about producers failing to deliver.

This shipper won't be throwing anything at ya! Like other shippers here I think, I'm opposed to absolutely any mention of S/J ship, if it means that that's all we're going to see of Sam in any given ep. I'd take some expert P-90 wielding or sun exploding over a cheesy, OTT smooch or proposal any day. Especially considering I'm already of the belief that Sam and Jack settled that issue long ago.

200 spoilers
                          Spoiler:
                          The ship of my many concerns with the 200th episode, even though I love that RDA is coming back

You bring up a great point about ratings, Coley. With the way they've acted as if (a) there isn't a significant amount of viewers who are shippers (as there're a significant amount of viewers who aren't, or who don't give a fig either way, of course ) and (b) Jack fell into a deep, dark hole, it's rather ironic to see them push it so hard all of a sudden.

While I'd think the line-up for Stargate Mondays is settled upon months in advance, there's probably always going to be room for last minute changes. And it would appear as if the interviews were done less than a month or so ago. If it really is their intention to suggest to the shippers/RDA fans out there that there's still something worth watching, it may do the trick in keeping them on board. Will it counteract the lower-than-expected ratings? I don't think so.

For me, a shipper, an RDA fan, a fan of Soldier!Scientist!Sam, and a fan of the T.E.A.M., however, they've gotta do better than that. Rather than not-so-subtlely hinting at what's possible with a suggested "five-letter answer" to our questions, they really need to show that they can handle the ship they created, without deconstructing a character with whom "they don't know what to do," without completely taking away from the return of a much-loved character, AND without taking away from the other 25+ characters who will, no doubt, be featured in this whacked out episode. I know, I know. It's probably asking a lot. But it's what I expect from professionals, who've had ten years to work with these characters and this show.

And the CB/BB ship questions? The more I think about it, the more ludicrous it seems. I'm still all for gaining insight from ALL of the actors on the show from here on out. I think that could be really cool, if done properly. And it'll be nice to see all of them in a "behind the scenes" capacity between now and July. But asking these two about ship really was weird, if not wholly unexpected when you think about it. They tried though; you can tell that much from their little blurbs. They certainly tried.

Comment

I want to see Sam/Jack ship, but I also want to see Sam's soldier side, her scientist side, her friendship and team bond with Daniel and Teal'c and maybe some interaction with Landry... just a lot of Sam in general, really.

In their shoes, I would be panicking too.

If the ratings listed on Gateworld are accurate, roughly 670,000 fewer people watched the finale of Season Nine compared with the finale of Season Eight.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

This will come as no surprise to many - I agree with you Coley - 150%!!!! (I have actually been veen more scared, irked and depressed since last nights interviews and I fear for the charater more so now than ever. TPTB do not know what they are doing right now and that is clear from S9, clearer still from the laughable commentary cooper gave on mitchell and the completely wrong direction he decided to go with that so the prospect of them tackling the ship - which I think they have done horribly, absolutely horribly, since mid S-7 scares me no end). No offense to the shippers either but I hope they do not make this the reason Carter is focused on in S10 - let's see some substance and leadership, etc., for Carter in S10 - show us that she IS SG1 and a big reason for it's success. I do not wnat to see "exposition girl" or "the girl that is one half of a couple" I want to see the strong, intelligent, soldier, scientist, leader who has substance and respect and who is heroic and saves the day on a regular basis - just like the old kick-a$$ Carter that, for me, has almost disappeared since mid-S7 and was barely seen in S9.
                              Last edited by binkpmmc; 04 April 2006, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                                This will come as no surprise to many - I agree with you Coley - 150%!!!! (I have actually been veen more scared, irked and depressed since last nights interviews and I fear for the charater more so now than ever. TPTB do not know what they are doing right now and that is clear from S9, clearer still from the laughable commentary cooper gave on mitchell and the completely wrong direction he decided to go with that so the prospect of them tackling the ship - which I think they have done horribly, absolutely horribly, since mid S-7 scares me no end). No offense to the shippers either but I hope they do not make this the reason Carter is focused on in S10 - let's see some substance and leadership, etc., for Carter in S10 - show us that she IS SG1 and a big reason for it's success. I do not wnat to see "exposition girl" or "the girl that is one half of a couple" I want to see the strong, intelligent, soldier, scientist, leader who has substance and respect and who is heroic and saves the day on a regular basis - just like the old kick-a$$ Carter that, for me, has almost disappeared since mid-S7 and was barely seen in S9.
                                exactly what i want to see, i'd just also like them to take the oppertunity to prove they can write a woman in love without making her "one half of a couple". sam and jack are both very strong people (characters) i see no reason for them not to remain that way. in fact, they better darn well remain that way!
                                sigpic
                                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Working...
                                X