Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunKrux
    Chris's bit is priceless! I couldn't laugh as loud as I wanted to...didn't want to wake the roommies.

*can see more Jack/Teal'C slash fic happening now...

Yeah, I thought it kind of odd that Claud was talking about Sam/Jack stuff.
    Why exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
      Why exactly?

Cause as Claud said herself, she wasn't around for most of the Jack/Sam relationship. Why should they have her comment on it? It would have been better if they had, had her commenting on Sam and Vala's potential friendship.
      sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
        Yes. I read it. And I simply don't agree. The show didn't need to be sexed up. It was doing just fine without it. Once it was "sexed up" everything else that had made it uniquely Stargate, and not like the majority of other scifi, went by the wayside. And imo regardless of what Coop said, they crossed the line.

Yes, new things have to be tried and the show has to evolve, but they could have easily tried new things by having Mitchell come in as a major (which I think was the original idea, hence all the talk of the initals MM for the new guy). They could have written Sam's absence as a temporary assignment, had Mitchell lead the team in her absence (as Sam did for Jack several times)then brought her back to leadthe new four man team with Mitchell as second, with all the awe of the Stargate that being new entails, without seriously endangering the rest of the team. And they could have completely eliminated the Daneil/Vala show, and concentrated on Mitchell for the first 5 eps, really letting us get to know him and like him. They could even have taken the time to explain why Jack was gone. There's many ways they could have evolved without giving us the fiasco that was S9.

So Coop can say what he wants, and you're free to believe him if it makes you happy, in fact I'm glad it makes you happy, someone should be happy. I for one, have heard it too many times, and I'm not buying it.
        I do not agree either - about vala or mitchell. What cooper had to say about the background for mitchell made me laugh out loud. Boy - did cooper bomb-out on the Mitchell thinking or what? They really thought that would work? Thanks for playing cooper - now try again. I have seen umpteen posts on umpteen threads on umpteeen forums say that they wish mitchell had stayed the way he was in the beginning eps and not turned into the immature dolt he became - I have thought cooper shortsighted and a bad showrunner since mid-S7 and this has pretty much confirmed it for me.

What an insult this character is to Carter especially as co-leader and cooper confirms that they meant it to be this way???? Absolutely mindboggling. Now if they do change mitchell back to the more serious type that he was in the early eps this commentary pretty much seals the deal that cooper made a huge mistake with the direction chosen for mitchell and in S10 they had to turn-tail and rework the character and if mitchell stays the same as S9 than I just hope they all have new jobs lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
          Cause as Claud said herself, she wasn't around for most of the Jack/Sam relationship. Why should they have her comment on it? It would have been better if they had, had her commenting on Sam and Vala's potential friendship.
          Yep, and she may have done that too, they probably extracted what they needed from longer interview segments so they can do their "theme night" bits.

I can't wait to see more of what Amanda has to say as these "theme nights" progress. I always love reading/hearing her own insights into Carter.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            Yep, and she may have done that too, they probably extracted what they needed from longer interview segments so they can do their "theme night" bits.

I can't wait to see more of what Amanda has to say as these "theme nights" progress. I always love reading/hearing her own insights into Carter.
            Did MS do a little segment on last nights theme night, I don't recall hearing about him ?
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

on scifi monday, they put little snippit interviews during some of hte commercial breaks. and since tonight's lineup is sam and jack, well the interviews take that vein
              I *so* hadn't figured that out by the list of episodes. I don't see Solitudes as shippy at all. He's still pining for Sara.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                I *so* hadn't figured that out by the list of episodes. I don't see Solitudes as shippy at all. He's still pining for Sara.
                He is. But really, any scene where Sam and Jack feel more for eachother than team-mates can be considered ship. And I think, though Jack was definitely still in love with Sara at that point, he was just beginning to develop "sparkage" for Sam, too. There's ship in that. And Sam was definitely doing something way above and beyond for him when she pretended to BE Sara. Bittersweet though it may have been.

Also, it showed a new aspect to Sam we hadn't seen more than a flicker of before. How large her capacity for caring is - we got a glimpse of a side of her that was yet to be explored. Here's this first-rate officer/by-the-book scientist, and she's begun to change. Begun to form lasting relationships (friendships) and begun to really care about her team mates on a level that goes beyond colleague/colleague. It really wet our appetite for more!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

He is. But really, any scene where Sam and Jack feel more for eachother than team-mates can be considered ship. And I think, though Jack was definitely still in love with Sara at that point, he was just beginning to develop "sparkage" for Sam, too. There's ship in that. And Sam was definitely doing something way above and beyond for him when she pretended to BE Sara. Bittersweet though it may have been.

Also, it showed a new aspect to Sam we hadn't seen before. How large her capacity for caring is - we got a glimpse of a side of her that was yet to be explored. And it wet our appetite for more!
                  yum! and AT does its so well!
                  sigpic
                  "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                  Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                    I want to apologize to everyone on this thread. I had no right to post a negative OT comment on this always positive thread. Please forgive me, it will never happen again. I let my own personal feelings get in the way of good judgment. I will not let my own problems serve as an excuse, what I did was inexcusable. This will NOT happen again.

I admire everyone who posts here, in addition to my utter admiration for AT and the fantastic character she has created in Sam. I will strive to live up to her and your standards in the future. Mea culpa.
                    Don't worry about it, Lida. Every last one of us has been guilty of going off-topic in some way or another. It's about time you joined the club!

Comment

Also, it showed a new aspect to Sam we hadn't seen more than a flicker of before. How large her capacity for caring is - we got a glimpse of a side of her that was yet to be explored. Here's this first-rate officer/by-the-book scientist, and she's begun to change. Begun to form lasting relationships (friendships) and begun to really care about her team mates on a level that goes beyond colleague/colleague. It really wet our appetite for more!
                      I won't talk "sparkage" but this was a great episode for Sam. And I would agree to major team bonding.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        I won't talk "sparkage" but this was a great episode for Sam. And I would agree to major team bonding.
                        to me, it was the first time jack truly accepted sam as an equal and someone he could depend on
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It was one of the first episodes where I really started to see what a great actress Amanda is. When Sam gets so frustrated at her inability to fix the DHD... I could just feel it. She reacted in a very believable -and feminine- way. You know, men get frustrated and angry, and they curse, swear, and hit things. Women get angry and frustrated, and they may do all of that, but they also fight tears. Amanda played it perfectly.

My LJ

Comment

oh yes, very much so.

here she was, trapped, saving her life and saving jack's life is 100% her responsibility. and in addition to that she's battling her own injuries, the cold, hunger, thirst, the whole ball of wax
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              to me, it was the first time jack truly accepted sam as an equal and someone he could depend on
                              Yep. There were a couple of turning points between them - purely as friends, if you're so inclined - where you could see that the captain who'd walked into the briefing room, with a chip on her shoulder, and the colonel who'd recently been forced out of retirement were no more. It's a nice change.

That's one of the things that keeps me going, really. The opportunity to look back at episodes in Seasons 1 through 3, and just kinda laugh at how "young" they all were, how fresh their dynamic was.

I think they were trying to recapture that this year with the new team. While the dynamic is different, I don't really see it as fresh. It was my hope that it would be that way, and I'm sure I'm not alone. But, in reality, the relationships between Sam and Daniel, Sam and Teal'c and Daniel and Teal'c were nothing new. And they had issues even recapturing that, which most likely made creating a fresh/new dynamic all the more difficult.

It may be the shipper in me, but when I look back at season one, it looks like they were trying to create some kind of tension between Sam and Jack from Day One. Perhaps had the show always been called "Stargate Command," where Sam, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c were all best friends within the SGC, they would've been able to clearly and actively pursue a relationship for Sam and Jack, because (to me) the sparks were always there.

Nevertheless, knowing that the actual "ship" apparently didn't come to their minds until later, it's interesting to imagine the kind of variables that contributed to the chip on Sam's shoulder. What made her behave like that so brazenly, considering she really was - and to some extent is - a very straightlaced, by the books, soldier? What contributed to her cynicism in that regard, that was wholly disregarded when it came to the pure wonder of looking at the Stargate's event horizon for the first time?

It's that dynamic between a captain who's used to getting somewhat picked on (the look she gave Jack and Kawalski on Chulak still makes me laugh out loud), and the scientist who's used to thinking outside the realm and barriers of physics... It's gotta be great to play as an actor, I'm sure. And I bet, if it was a conscious aspect on the part of the writers, it was very cool to create.

Comment

Dear Samandans,

As you're all talking about Solitudes, and past episodes, I take the opportunity to present you, thanks to Skydiver, the

Sam Carter Best Episode
                                Second Award

following the first award created by our elders.

The rules are easy. Vote for you favourite Sam episode for every season. You'll have one week to vote for each season. The last round will determine which episode is the best among all the seasons.
                                Please, send your votes via PM to Skydiver who kindly agreed to collect them. The results will be given after each round.

First round : Season 1

-Children of the Gods:
                                Spoiler:

-The Enemy Within :
                                Spoiler:

-Emancipation:
                                Spoiler:

-The Broca Divide:
                                Spoiler:

- The First Commandment:
                                Spoiler:

-Cold Lazarus: