Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEM
    I swear I'm going to start my own cult of The Fifth Man. There is just so much to love about that episode. In addition to that rockin Simmons scene, there's the great "It's up to you" scene with Janet which has all sorts of unspoken something-or-other going on.
    Uh-huh, lovely

And the awesome scene on the ramp at the start, when Carter's so close to mutiny and Hammond calls the airmen onto them. Adore them both there.

By the way, does anyone else find it hysterically funny whenever they lock Carter up in a room... with a computer?! Hello!
    YES! heehee!
    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
      By the way, does anyone else find it hysterically funny whenever they lock Carter up in a room... with a computer?! Hello!
      Very true. How anyone who's ever seen Sam work could underestimate her abilities with a computer is beyond me.

Why did they have a computer in the room they were planning on locking her into in the first place? Were they naive enough to think she would only use it to play Solitaire?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I just posted some information I'd gathered about female military roles in the Who Should Lead, thread. I thought I'd cross post the link here because I think the (real) USAF Captain I quoted sounds a lot like I think Sam Carter herself would sound on the matter. Since the argument has recently turned from "Who Should Lead" to the fact that women (in general) can't be in so called front-line combat, therefore Carter either shouldn't be on SG-1 or SG-1 isn't a front line combat unit. Neither of which is logically sound, imho. I think
        USAF Captain Barbara A. Wilson really does say it best.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...27#post5117727

-

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally Posted by Mandysg1
          Okay since you confused me, then got me hooked...now you have to write this fic...and I mean now!!!!
          I'm giving you until tomorrow or I'll call in the Royal Terminator
          Originally posted by majorsal
          yes, ma'am!

*story's done. it's short.*

fic --

name: Falling Down
          author: sally murphy
          length: short
          disclamier: show me the money! ('cause i ain't gettin' no money from da story)
          rating: triple XXX

(scene: a few weeks after sam's ordeal in 'ascension')

snip
          the end/only the beginning.

sally

Wow Sally brava you had me in tears

I don't know if this one can even compare http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...gettingto.html
          Last edited by Mandysg1; 04 April 2006, 07:37 AM.
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            I just posted some information I'd gathered about female military roles in the Who Should Lead, thread. I thought I'd cross post the link here because I think the (real) USAF Captain I quoted sounds a lot like I think Sam Carter herself would sound on the matter. Since the argument has recently turned from "Who Should Lead" to the fact that women (in general) can't be in so called front-line combat, therefore Carter either shouldn't be on SG-1 or SG-1 isn't a front line combat unit. Neither of which is logically sound, imho. I think
            USAF Captain Barbara A. Wilson really does say it best.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...27#post5117727

-
            Thanks for the link. I don't go to the WSL thread. (Have had my share of *ahem* blood pressure raising threads in the past, so my hat's off to those who post there), But it's interesting that in the show SG1 is usually always referred to as the 'first contact team,' to explore, to make new allies, to seek trade, and the combat piece is there, but in a talk first, attack last mode. Their mission isn't to combat their potential allies, combat is only for self-defense if provoked or their lives threatened...
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              how can you ask a question like this with a shipper like ME here?

sally
              Ah... ooops!

Being at work when I posted it I didn't stop to think of the *ahem* various ways that could be interpreted... But yes.... being an S/J shipper myself.... .... that would be one of the preferred stress-reduction methods...
              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally Posted by majorsal
                how can you ask a question like this with a shipper like ME here?

sally

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                Ah... ooops!

Being at work when I posted it I didn't stop to think of the *ahem* various ways that could be interpreted... But yes.... being an S/J shipper myself.... .... that would be one of the preferred stress-reduction methods...
                Hey PG thread guys
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                  Have you actually read this Avalon commentary? I like what RCC said, and he said it in a very nice way, that there's a line they don't want to cross and they want to be respectful. But he just thought it would be fun to have a character that was a little more aware and overtly sexual. And IMO, there's absolutely nothing offending in Vala's character. And about the show needed it - direct quote from the commentary, with what I absolutely agree - "And we bring new things in and we evolve the show. We bring new characters, we try new things. You can’t do a show for nine, 10 years without doing that."
                  Yes. I read it. And I simply don't agree. The show didn't need to be sexed up. It was doing just fine without it. Once it was "sexed up" everything else that had made it uniquely Stargate, and not like the majority of other scifi, went by the wayside. And imo regardless of what Coop said, they crossed the line.

Yes, new things have to be tried and the show has to evolve, but they could have easily tried new things by having Mitchell come in as a major (which I think was the original idea, hence all the talk of the initals MM for the new guy). They could have written Sam's absence as a temporary assignment, had Mitchell lead the team in her absence (as Sam did for Jack several times)then brought her back to leadthe new four man team with Mitchell as second, with all the awe of the Stargate that being new entails, without seriously endangering the rest of the team. And they could have completely eliminated the Daneil/Vala show, and concentrated on Mitchell for the first 5 eps, really letting us get to know him and like him. They could even have taken the time to explain why Jack was gone. There's many ways they could have evolved without giving us the fiasco that was S9.

So Coop can say what he wants, and you're free to believe him if it makes you happy, in fact I'm glad it makes you happy, someone should be happy. I for one, have heard it too many times, and I'm not buying it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                    Yes. I read it. And I simply don't agree. The show didn't need to be sexed up. It was doing just fine without it. Once it was "sexed up" everything else that had made it uniquely Stargate, and not like the majority of other scifi, went by the wayside. And imo regardless of what Coop said, they crossed the line.

Yes, new things have to be tried and the show has to evolve, but they could have easily tried new things by having Mitchell come in as a major (which I think was the original idea, hence all the talk of the initals MM for the new guy). They could have written Sam's absence as a temporary assignment, had Mitchell lead the team in her absence (as Sam did for Jack several times)then brought her back to leadthe new four man team with Mitchell as second, with all the awe of the Stargate that being new entails, without seriously endangering the rest of the team. And they could have completely eliminated the Daneil/Vala show, and concentrated on Mitchell for the first 5 eps, really letting us get to know him and like him. They could even have taken the time to explain why Jack was gone. There's many ways they could have evolved without giving us the fiasco that was S9.

So Coop can say what he wants, and you're free to believe him if it makes you happy, in fact I'm glad it makes you happy, someone should be happy. I for one, have heard it too many times, and I'm not buying it.
                    Yep. I totally agree. They didn't need to bring in a LTC to replace Sam while Amanda was on maternity leave. Have her be temporarily assigned to Area51 instead of permanent. You could've kept Daniel trying to get to Atlantis and Teal'c working with the Jaffa Council.

Sam took over for Jack in several missions - it became more prominent when Rick's shooting schedule was diminished in S7. Sam showed just how well she could lead. I'm sure at some point it was a tad bit awkward - being her first command and having to order Daniel and Teal'c to do things. But she got over that and it went rather well.

Season 9 was a cut and run for the loyal fans. No amount of tourniquets can stop the bleeding for some (or mainly just me).
                    sigpic

Comment

I want to apologize to everyone on this thread. I had no right to post a negative OT comment on this always positive thread. Please forgive me, it will never happen again. I let my own personal feelings get in the way of good judgment. I will not let my own problems serve as an excuse, what I did was inexcusable. This will NOT happen again.

I admire everyone who posts here, in addition to my utter admiration for AT and the fantastic character she has created in Sam. I will strive to live up to her and your standards in the future. Mea culpa.
                      On fighting:
                      Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                      Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                        Uh-huh, lovely

And the awesome scene on the ramp at the start, when Carter's so close to mutiny and Hammond calls the airmen onto them. Adore them both there.

YES! heehee!
                        Ahh yes I love that scene too - along with Sam's "We should never have left the damn planet" Now thats Sam in a nark!!

Vintage Carter - Classic AT - The lovely Amanda is so gifted

Comment

Hey Lida don't hit yourself, s'okay!
                          scarimor

Comment

well, i just deleted the posts, since yes, personal issues have no place here.

take it up with the folks that you have an issue with in private message or put that person on ignore
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                              Thanks for the link. I don't go to the WSL thread. (Have had my share of *ahem* blood pressure raising threads in the past, so my hat's off to those who post there), But it's interesting that in the show SG1 is usually always referred to as the 'first contact team,' to explore, to make new allies, to seek trade, and the combat piece is there, but in a talk first, attack last mode. Their mission isn't to combat their potential allies, combat is only for self-defense if provoked or their lives threatened...

That's why they're armed with submachine guns and zats - so they can defend themselves if engaged in combat, not to start it. They do go with the knowledge that they're about to engage in combat for very specific missions, e.g. a rescue mission like Stronghold, but the norm for most seasons was first contact through the gate with weapons for unexpected self-defence only. The likes of Serpents Lair type forays through the gate were relatively few.

Notice how few first contact stories we've had lately?
                              scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                So all these new sci-fi channel interview clips over on the shipper thread (from tonight?) seem to be a lot about Sam and Jack, even Amanda's segment where she mentions both that she likes the pairing and that she was worried for a while it would turn Carter into the stereotypical "girl" of the show. But she also says that now O'Neill and Carter aren't in the same command: "She can have some FUN with him <evil smile>"... so wow. Sci-Fi's really pimping the Sam/Jack angle looks like. Even Claudia talks about Carter's relationship with O'Neill (oddly). And I was VERY surprised to hear that Chris Judge believes Teal'c didn't notice Sam as a woman until season four!! That he thinks Teal'c will end up "with Jack!" LOL
                                Chris's bit is priceless! I couldn't laugh as loud as I wanted to...didn't want to wake the roommies.

*can see more Jack/Teal'C slash fic happening now...

Yeah, I thought it kind of odd that Claud was talking about Sam/Jack stuff.
                                sigpic
                                I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X