No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok. i'm going to post what i wrote in two parts. i took some paragraphs out for this posting, so my actual papers was much, much longer than what you'll see in the next two posts

Part One:
    Amanda Tapping plays Lieutenant Colonel Samantha “Sam” Carter on Stargate SG-1. Not an original character from the movie Stargate, the writers of the show had to give Carter more of an introduction than Jack O’Neill or Daniel Jackson. Her introduction, as Captain Samantha Carter to the man who would become her commanding officer managed to address many stereotypes. The showed premiered in 1997, and currently in 2006 they are working on their 10th season of the show.
    O’Neill assumed when General Hammond called her ‘Sam’ that she would be a male. That belief was dispelled quickly when she walked into the room. The visual of this scene speaks more than words sometimes. You can see that at a long table full of people, Carter is the only woman present at the briefing. She’s called out on preferring to be called ‘Sam’ versus ‘Samantha’, the kind of dolls she played with as a kid, and by O’Neill, the fact she is a scientist. Major Kawalsky is surprised to hear that she’s pulled out of simulated bombing runs in an F-16 at 8-plus G’s. She reminds the table of men that while her reproductive organs are in the inside instead of the outside, she can still handle whatever they can handle. And what is a favorite line for a lot of the Stargate fans I know, she even challenges O’Neill to arm wrestle after telling him she flew a hundred hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War. She was clearly a woman set on making it in the male-dominated world of the Air Force. Her no-nonsense talk endeared her to many, and she has gained quite a loyal fan base over the past 10 years.
    Tapping enjoys commenting on the evolution of her character. She’s glad that Sam isn’t on her “feminist soapbox” anymore, and that she is, quite often, saving the day. As the new commander of Stargate Command commented during the episode that saw the return of Carter, “I've read enough of your SG-1 mission reports to know that there were times when no one else but Samantha Carter could have pulled your ass out of the fire.” Before the premiere of season nine, Tapping commented in the Sci-Fi Inside special that she’s going to be getting back to her character’s roots and doing what she does best: being great soldier and a fantastic scientist.
    What makes the character of Sam Carter different from the other sci-fi women that came before her is what we get to see of her ‘outside the office’. She strains to have a normal life, much like the rest of us do. She struggles with the issues of family, love and her life outside of her career. She was estranged from her father for the first two years of the series, seeing him for a short period of time when he told her that he had cancer. Her mother died when she was thirteen, a fact that she initially blamed her father for. An Air Force General himself, she followed his footsteps into the Air Force. On the same day he told her that he had cancer, he also told her that he had cleared a spot for her in the NASA training program. Not being able to tell him about the Stargate, she had to decline. The eventual death of her father shook her very much. She and her brother Mark also don’t talk often, but for a time she dated his friend Pete Shanahan.
    Another area of ‘Sam outside the office’ that we’ve gotten to see is in the area of her relationships. Now, with Stargate being a show that takes place in an entire galaxy, many of the men that have fallen for her haven’t been from Earth, and most of them also don’t survive long after meeting her. Sam Carter has been deemed a ‘Black Widow’ because of this fact.
    Two men have evaded the ‘Black Widow’ curse. The first was her former fiancée, police Detective Pete Shanahan. He was a friend of her brothers, and the two of them became serious. His urge to know about what she was doing led him to follow her one day, and she was forced to tell him what she does. She was in love with him when she said yes to his marriage proposal, but as time went on she became wary of settling down and having a normal life. She broke off the engagement the same day that her father passed away, and presumably never saw him again. Tapping has said on several occasions that she’s not proud of the fact that Sam strung Pete along for as long as she did, but she is proud of the fact that she stopped stringing him along. The second man to survive the curse is Commanding Officer, Jack O’Neill. Their pairing has been the subject of many discussions online, and the relationship has also surfaced on many shows of the nine seasons of Stargate. While regulations kept them apart for the first eight seasons of the show, with Jack O’Neill now in Washington and Carter still in Colorado Springs that problem seems to have resolved itself. The current state of their relationship is unknown.
    While she doesn’t have children of her own, on one of SG-1’s first missions, the team encountered a little girl named Cassandra. She was on a planet where everyone else had died, and she went back to Stargate Command with Sam. The two of them bonded, and it devastated Sam when they discovered that Cassie was a human bomb, designed to take out the Stargate, killing many including Cassandra in the process. Sam stayed with her, disobeying orders, even when they thought she was going to die. Since that point, a friend of Sam’s adopted her, and when she died, Sam took over caring for Cassie.
    Sam Carter broke the mold for a modern woman in the science fiction genre. She proved that a woman’s role is no longer one of “sidekick” or “damsel in distress.” She has stood up for what she believes in and played with the boys and won, without backing down, without using sex in some way, or not lying, cheating, or sleeping her way to get ahead.

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
    My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
    My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
    My Stargate Videos
    It's meant to be!

Comment

you know, i think teal'c would do it to anyone that hurt her. be it jack or someone else.

she's his sister and if someone messed with her, he'd open a can o jaffa whoop ass on em
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

sorry for the lack of formatting...

Part 2: Much shorter

The actress that plays Carter, Amanda Tapping, has also gone through changes in her life that have led into how she plays the role of Sam. The most recent change has been with the birth of her daughter Olivia in real life. "Sam has to be slightly different because I'm quite a bit different," she commented in a TV Zone interview in 2005. "However, having done so much exploration into her heart and soul, she has a softness to her now. We'll see what happens, though, the next time she's in battle. By that I mean with me, Amanda, there's the mother lion in me now. I've realized that for the first time in my life I'm actually capable of killing," notes Tapping, pausing for a moment, "and that makes me cry. If anyone tried to lay a finger on my child I'd kill them, and that's quite a revelation. I relate that to work insofar as there's a new level of fierceness to Carter that we'll see. I always knew that as a soldier she could kill, and she has, but now there's an entirely new drive behind it, because as an actress I can bring that to the table." She says in the same interview.
        At nearly every event she’s attended, Tapping has always commented on her fans and the fact she has so many. As one of her loyal fans, known as a ‘Samandan’ on the web, it’s easy for us to be fans of such a talented actress and the woman she plays on television. She paved the way for characters that would eventually follow, Elizabeth Weir and Teyla Emmagan from Stargate Atlantis and Kara Thrace from Battlestar Galactica among them.
        The most fitting way to end this is in Amanda’s own words about her character. I just feel like the strength of this character and the joy of playing this character is the fact that she's a strong, capable, smart and powerful woman. I love the fact that there are so many sides to her.”

My Stargate Videos
        It's meant to be!

Comment

Sam Carter broke the mold for a modern woman in the science fiction genre. She proved that a woman’s role is no longer one of “sidekick” or “damsel in distress.” She has stood up for what she believes in and played with the boys and won, without backing down, without using sex in some way, or not lying, cheating, or sleeping her way to get ahead.

a freakin men

that's what makes her so great
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
            To everyone who watches SG1 on SciFi.....what do you think of the "new" presentation on Monday nights, that is, a theme....and it looks like tonight's theme is Sam, with a side order of Jack.

Also, any reaction to the "comments sections", especially those made tonight by Amanda, Ben and Claudia about the Sam/Jack ship? A savvy ploy on the part of SciFi and the tptb or just another way to tease the shippers? By the way, I thought Amanda looked great and was so adorable, especially when she gave the net address and made a slashing movement with her hand after she said "slash Stargate", (at least I think it was slash Stargate, I got so distracted watching her.... ).

Anyway, I was just curious about your reactions, as you all have such great comments to make about anything Sam-related..... Uh oh...thunder, I better log off. Later, I hope!
            I just got back to my dorm and turned on Grace...what are these comments?? ((scratches her head, confused))

*Goes to pop head into s/j thread*
            Last edited by LtColonelSamC; 03 April 2006, 06:31 PM.

My Stargate Videos
            It's meant to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              that's one great thinga bout sam.

those superficial kind of women...well the attraction usually fades once the looks do.

but the 'quiet' ones, the ones they respect...they'll respect them no matter what. And it'll be a respect that'll last a lifetime
              Ah, c'mon Sky, you know that the quiet ones are boring! /sarcasm

Suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                that's one great thinga bout sam.

those superficial kind of women...well the attraction usually fades once the looks do.

but the 'quiet' ones, the ones they respect...they'll respect them no matter what. And it'll be a respect that'll last a lifetime
                Yeah, I've always adored that about SG-1, too. That the four of them are a family - no matter what. The implied bond is so strong, between all of them, and their respect for Sam happened even before they began to look at her as part of their family (together). Each of them, in their own right, is a quiet sort of strength. I MISS THAT SO MUCH these days *sigh*. Not because it's gone, but because we just haven't seen as many of those 'moments' this season. I guess I shouldn't say none at all, there've been a couple, to tide us over this season, like the Sam/Daniel moment in Arthur's Mantle (I'm still squeeing over that little geek!exchange lol), and the moment Teal'c/Sam had when she nearly didn't make it back from Prometheus. But they're so few and far between. Bittersweet nostalgia was probably my most overwhelming emotion while I watched this last season.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Way to go, hun! That's freakin' fantastic!! I hope you got an A+

Originally posted by LtColonelSamC
                  ok. i'm going to post what i wrote in two parts. i took some paragraphs out for this posting, so my actual papers was much, much longer than what you'll see in the next two posts

Part One:
                  Amanda Tapping plays Lieutenant Colonel Samantha “Sam” Carter on Stargate SG-1. Not an original character from the movie Stargate, the writers of the show had to give Carter more of an introduction than Jack O’Neill or Daniel Jackson. Her introduction, as Captain Samantha Carter to the man who would become her commanding officer managed to address many stereotypes. The showed premiered in 1997, and currently in 2006 they are working on their 10th season of the show.
                  O’Neill assumed when General Hammond called her ‘Sam’ that she would be a male. That belief was dispelled quickly when she walked into the room. The visual of this scene speaks more than words sometimes. You can see that at a long table full of people, Carter is the only woman present at the briefing. She’s called out on preferring to be called ‘Sam’ versus ‘Samantha’, the kind of dolls she played with as a kid, and by O’Neill, the fact she is a scientist. Major Kawalsky is surprised to hear that she’s pulled out of simulated bombing runs in an F-16 at 8-plus G’s. She reminds the table of men that while her reproductive organs are in the inside instead of the outside, she can still handle whatever they can handle. And what is a favorite line for a lot of the Stargate fans I know, she even challenges O’Neill to arm wrestle after telling him she flew a hundred hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War. She was clearly a woman set on making it in the male-dominated world of the Air Force. Her no-nonsense talk endeared her to many, and she has gained quite a loyal fan base over the past 10 years.
                  Tapping enjoys commenting on the evolution of her character. She’s glad that Sam isn’t on her “feminist soapbox” anymore, and that she is, quite often, saving the day. As the new commander of Stargate Command commented during the episode that saw the return of Carter, “I've read enough of your SG-1 mission reports to know that there were times when no one else but Samantha Carter could have pulled your ass out of the fire.” Before the premiere of season nine, Tapping commented in the Sci-Fi Inside special that she’s going to be getting back to her character’s roots and doing what she does best: being great soldier and a fantastic scientist.
                  What makes the character of Sam Carter different from the other sci-fi women that came before her is what we get to see of her ‘outside the office’. She strains to have a normal life, much like the rest of us do. She struggles with the issues of family, love and her life outside of her career. She was estranged from her father for the first two years of the series, seeing him for a short period of time when he told her that he had cancer. Her mother died when she was thirteen, a fact that she initially blamed her father for. An Air Force General himself, she followed his footsteps into the Air Force. On the same day he told her that he had cancer, he also told her that he had cleared a spot for her in the NASA training program. Not being able to tell him about the Stargate, she had to decline. The eventual death of her father shook her very much. She and her brother Mark also don’t talk often, but for a time she dated his friend Pete Shanahan.
                  Another area of ‘Sam outside the office’ that we’ve gotten to see is in the area of her relationships. Now, with Stargate being a show that takes place in an entire galaxy, many of the men that have fallen for her haven’t been from Earth, and most of them also don’t survive long after meeting her. Sam Carter has been deemed a ‘Black Widow’ because of this fact.
                  Two men have evaded the ‘Black Widow’ curse. The first was her former fiancée, police Detective Pete Shanahan. He was a friend of her brothers, and the two of them became serious. His urge to know about what she was doing led him to follow her one day, and she was forced to tell him what she does. She was in love with him when she said yes to his marriage proposal, but as time went on she became wary of settling down and having a normal life. She broke off the engagement the same day that her father passed away, and presumably never saw him again. Tapping has said on several occasions that she’s not proud of the fact that Sam strung Pete along for as long as she did, but she is proud of the fact that she stopped stringing him along. The second man to survive the curse is Commanding Officer, Jack O’Neill. Their pairing has been the subject of many discussions online, and the relationship has also surfaced on many shows of the nine seasons of Stargate. While regulations kept them apart for the first eight seasons of the show, with Jack O’Neill now in Washington and Carter still in Colorado Springs that problem seems to have resolved itself. The current state of their relationship is unknown.
                  While she doesn’t have children of her own, on one of SG-1’s first missions, the team encountered a little girl named Cassandra. She was on a planet where everyone else had died, and she went back to Stargate Command with Sam. The two of them bonded, and it devastated Sam when they discovered that Cassie was a human bomb, designed to take out the Stargate, killing many including Cassandra in the process. Sam stayed with her, disobeying orders, even when they thought she was going to die. Since that point, a friend of Sam’s adopted her, and when she died, Sam took over caring for Cassie.

Comment

S3 Atlantis
                    Spoiler:
                    In a promo, David Hewlett mentions McKay and Sam will be working together again.

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                      S3 Atlantis
                      Spoiler:
                      In a promo, David Hewlett mentions McKay and Sam will be working together again.
                      I think they were showing old clips from earlier this season. It doesn't look like it was anything new.
                      sigpic

Comment

mini everytime I see your sig, I feel like I'm being hypnotised
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                          I think they were showing old clips from earlier this season. It doesn't look like it was anything new.
                          No new episode footage, but the actor interviews looked new, and it was a promo for the new season. Plus the other things talked about made it sound like S3.

Comment

So all these new sci-fi channel interview clips over on the shipper thread (from tonight?) seem to be a lot about Sam and Jack, even Amanda's segment where she mentions both that she likes the pairing and that she was worried for a while it would turn Carter into the stereotypical "girl" of the show. But she also says that now O'Neill and Carter aren't in the same command: "She can have some FUN with him <evil smile>"... so wow. Sci-Fi's really pimping the Sam/Jack angle looks like. Even Claudia talks about Carter's relationship with O'Neill (oddly). And I was VERY surprised to hear that Chris Judge believes Teal'c didn't notice Sam as a woman until season four!! That he thinks Teal'c will end up "with Jack!" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                              And I was VERY surprised to hear that Chris Judge believes Teal'c didn't notice Sam as a woman until season four!! That he thinks Teal'c will end up "with Jack!" LOL
                              rofl

Sam/Teal'c/Jack OT3?

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                Yeah, I've always adored that about SG-1, too. That the four of them are a family - no matter what. The implied bond is so strong, between all of them, and their respect for Sam happened even before they began to look at her as part of their family (together). Each of them, in their own right, is a quiet sort of strength. I MISS THAT SO MUCH these days *sigh*. Not because it's gone, but because we just haven't seen as many of those 'moments' this season. I guess I shouldn't say none at all, there've been a couple, to tide us over this season, like the Sam/Daniel moment in Arthur's Mantle (I'm still squeeing over that little geek!exchange lol), and the moment Teal'c/Sam had when she nearly didn't make it back from Prometheus. But they're so few and far between. Bittersweet nostalgia was probably my most overwhelming emotion while I watched this last season.
                                Hey mini here's a fic I wrote that takes place on thier first mission together as a team. I tried to get the early team bonding feeling in it, I hope it helps with the nostalgia http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...gettingto.html
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X