Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
    And, meanwhile, back in the universe in which Stargate began, we have Sam, who wanted to save other women from rape in The Broca Divide, who was beaten, abused, and nearly raped herself in Emancipation and still came back to best Turghan in a duel already slanted in his favor. We have Sam who finds another way, instead of repeating Jolinar’s capitulation to Binar The Disgusting on Netu. We have Sam who pulls her own weight; does her part, and pays her own way. We have Sam, team player who does what’s best for the mission, not what’s best for Sam or what Sam wants most – including giving up sole command of her own SG unit as ordered (still think that was Landry’s call) and cleaning up after the not-yet-housebroken puppy that was given the command instead. We have Sam who never so much as dangles the offer of her body in front of any of the many captors who’ve held SG-1 over the years, in hope of better treatment for herself or her team. We have Sam whose intelligence, skills, competence, tenacity, strength and integrity are her coin in trade, not her body, nor her skills in pleasing males. Sam finds a way to enact a decision she can live with – Vala, like spilled water, takes the path of least resistance directly to the lowest level.
    I think one of the things I love most about Sam’s character is that she is strong, highly intelligent and brave but that, unlike quite a few other female sci-fi and fantasy characters, she doesn’t have any superpowers – unless you count her ability to use Goa’uld technology, but she hasn’t done that in ages.

She is an extraordinary, dedicated person who has worked hard to gain her knowledge and abilities and she will rise to just about every occasion and do what she needs to to save the day but without taking the easy path and using her body to get what she wants, as Simhavaktra pointed out.

Did Landry order Sam to give up command? (I haven't seen 'Avalon' and based on the description, I have no plans to watch it) Was she already at Area 51 when Landry took command?

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
    And still, we have people who call Sam tramp, slut, and whore because she’s had male admirers across the galaxy, most of whom didn’t get so much as a kiss from her. If putting up with amorous aliens, while not putting out to amorous aliens, makes Sam a slut, I have to wonder why having put out for gain doesn’t make Vala subject to an even more pejorative definition. Maybe ‘fun’ is like Teflon, in TPTB-Continuum’s alternate dimension...?
    If a kiss makes Sam a tramp, slut or whore then a lot of people will qualify for the title. What did these people call Jack after ‘Brief Candle’ or Daniel after ‘Need’?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      [/LEFT]

And a not so talented artist.
      I loved the scene where Sam demonstrated drawing to Merrin but my favourite art scene from Sam is in 'Singularity' when she drew a stick figure on Cassie's painting and told her that she wasn't alone anymore.

So sweet!

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by LtColonelSamC
        My thoughts exactly. For my Women in Film/TV class at college, I just finished writing a paper about AT/Sam and that stuff exactly. My Prof liked my paper so much; liked my description of Amanda and Sam that he's going to start watching the show
        \

Cool. Have any especially interesting bits from your paper that you'd like to share with us?

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
          And as promised earlier, screencaps of Sam and Cam talk via satellite:
          Ah, the prettiness from one of my favourite scenes of season 9. Thankee.
          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
            \

Cool. Have any especially interesting bits from your paper that you'd like to share with us?
            I have to run to class now, but maybe tonight inbetween the eps tonight on sci-fi (we have a big floor party on monday nights) I'll have time to post some.

I'm off to Advanced Composition and Conversation II--yea for Spanish

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
            My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
            My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
            My Stargate Videos
            It's meant to be!

Comment

Posting for those that might care. Be sure to read the whole article.

http://channels.netscape.com/celebri...bsf_scifibabes
              "You are a distraction who is permanently distracted."~ Ohhhhh...sparkly...
              "Well, we came, we saw, we got spanked."-Harper (Andromeda)
              Don't shake that. It's liable to blow up.~L.
              Ewww! What's that mess on the floor? I think my sanity just broke.
              "My ovaries are exploding with maternal instinct..." Partylikeits1984 on DH's character on Traders
              Even if the voices in my head aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas.
              Very smart people intimidate me. And turn me on. Do you see my problem in the dating game?~Aurore
              (Same boat. Small World. ~ r-h)

Comment

i kind of enjoyed the sam/cam 'oh hi' bit from the beginning of arthur's mantle

Spoiler:
                not crazy taht they were falling back on 'workaholic sam' but it was nice to see/hear her snark at him. That's the one good thing that's come out of this whole co-leaders mess, sam is mroe free to snark
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColonelSamC
                  My thoughts exactly. For my Women in Film/TV class at college, I just finished writing a paper about AT/Sam and that stuff exactly. My Prof liked my paper so much; liked my description of Amanda and Sam that he's going to start watching the show
                  Cool. Tell him to watch the earlier seasons, though, for the best Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    i kind of enjoyed the sam/cam 'oh hi' bit from the beginning of arthur's mantle

Spoiler:
                    not crazy taht they were falling back on 'workaholic sam' but it was nice to see/hear her snark at him. That's the one good thing that's come out of this whole co-leaders mess, sam is mroe free to snark
                    I love snarky Sam.
                    scarimor

Comment

what's so great about looking early then following it is how much sam grows during the years.

in s1, she's all gung ho with a chip on her shoulder, then jolinar changes her a lot, then there's the struggle to find herself amongst it all, and the jack issue, losing daniel, almost - twice - being the sole survivor of the team (or at least one of the last two)

season 1 sam i light years away from s9 sam, in so many ways
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        what's so great about looking early then following it is how much sam grows during the years.

in s1, she's all gung ho with a chip on her shoulder, then jolinar changes her a lot, then there's the struggle to find herself amongst it all, and the jack issue, losing daniel, almost - twice - being the sole survivor of the team (or at least one of the last two)

season 1 sam i light years away from s9 sam, in so many ways
                        With the way SciFi is mixing seasons on the MOnday marathons lately, it may be interesting to see these different Sams one after the other.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          With the way SciFi is mixing seasons on the MOnday marathons lately, it may be interesting to see these different Sams one after the other.
                          Wow, tonight's features a lot of Samster. I don't quite get what the theme is supposed to be though. Past & Present, Solitudes, There But For the Grace of God, Divide & Conquer, Grace

I'd guess split- or altered-consciousness, but Solitudes is throwing me.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                            Wow, tonight's features a lot of Samster. I don't quite get what the theme is supposed to be though. Past & Present, Solitudes, There But For the Grace of God, Divide & Conquer, Grace

I'd guess split- or altered-consciousness, but Solitudes is throwing me.
                            purely as an answer to your question: its ship (in our totally unbaised opinion)
                            sigpic
                            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                              In Avalon, Cam said something to Sam about saving the world :

SAM: we'll still work together
                              CAM: it won't be the same. What if the world needs saving?
                              SAM: well if the world needs saving I will be there to do what I can.
                              CAM: What if the world needs saving because I screwed up because you weren't here in the first place? How about we pretend I didn't say that.
                              SAM: done.

Now, I'm curious about the highlighted part. It makes me think that they knew each other before TLC and that they had a common fighting experience. Which one ? I don't know, but it's something I'd like the writers to explore in season 10. It was like Cam felt guilty of something and Sam tried to bring him out of his guilt. I really wonder what's the history behind this little sentence.
                              I never actually thought that it meant they saw combat together - simply because laster she had no idea what his call sign is. But, you are definatly left witht he impression that she did know him. I was thiking at the academy, but it is possible he went to college and not the academy.

Since they are both aire force brats, it is possible that their fathers were stationed at the same place, and they become friends there and kept in touch sporatically over the years. Or there is a possibility they just became friends after his accident, the only problem with that is it doesn't feel right.

As for Cam's age. I am willing to let that slide - all TV shows are notrious at math and at screwing up peoples ages. So he could be, and most likely is older...
                              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                              X