Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55
    Great to have what we've been saying confirmed by a real military person!
    reconfirmed. re-reconfirmed. re-re-reconfirmed. re-re-re-reconfirmed.
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

But wouldn't the experience count? I thought that it might have some effect. I mean she's been a member of SG-1 for 9 years (well part I think from the begining of season 9)

So Sam's got the most experience. Nothing bad about Mitchell, but hey it's just my opinion.
      Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
      The Strongest Will Survive!
      I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        amanda also went from 'woman hired to fill a supporting role' to 'second in command of the show'....and she did that with her skill, ability and talent
        Glassner and Wright created a great concept for a character, but it took AT to bring her to life in a non-caricature way.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Anyone who openly admits to liking Sam and reads this thread is a Samandan in my opinion. Calling yourself a Samandan isn't a status symbol that is earned after so many posts or writing a fic, it's an acceptance that Sam is a vital member of SG-1 and is/was as important to the show as Jack, Daniel and Teal'c. I think anyone who can say those things about Sam is welcome to call themself a Samandan if they so choose.

Kat
          I agree & well said. I'm not a writer & I've been knocking around here for quite some time. I "joined up" early on because I love Sam and the gang here is so friendly and articulate. (except when the Royal Liquor Cabinet is open? )

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            I understand what you are saying Sal, but I really hope they never write Sam & Jack as having a family together on SG-1. I can live with the idea of S&J getting together if it's written well, but honestly I just can't see the two of them settling down with a big house, a white picket fence, minivan, 2.5 kids and a dog. Jack maybe, but Sam? So not seeing it. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to see that, but if they ever did write Sam like this, I would almost definitely jump ship.
            You and me both. Sam might give up combat, but never the lab for long. Sal and others may dream of them happily settled down, but *I* don't want to see it. It's just not the show I know.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
              reconfirmed. re-reconfirmed. re-re-reconfirmed. re-re-re-reconfirmed.
              Yes, you're quite correct--RE-confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                Okay, I have a topic: Avatar! This is one of my favourite eps of the entire series. When I watched it again the other night, it occurred to me that one of the things I really like about it is how kickass Carter is (or Teal'c's representation of her?). I can never get enough of Carter & Teal'c.
                Yes, I love that Teal'c (or maybe dr. Lee) sees her as kickbutt & the one to save the day. I also like the scene in the beginning when
                Spoiler:
                Sam is reminding him about the failsafe,etc & he says something like "you have already told me this, Colonel Carter"--It's just a neat, comfortable exchange they have.

Comment

yeah, logic doesn't come into play lately

these are the same folks that said that s9 took place over 6 months (in one eps sam had been working on a piece of tech acquired in a s9 eps and cam said 'you've been working on that for 6 months)

they also said that it only took a month from evolution to death knell...which was 4 eps and given the injuries sam received in evolution, saving kelowna, her concussion in grace, not to mention chimera being in there, man did that girl have a BUSY month

and also, when jacob died he said that selmac saved his life 4 years ago...but he'd been blended iwth selmac seven years ago, not 4

in other words, time is not their strong suit
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    "Look into my eyes...you will write Carter as the smart, kick bum, integral part of the team she is..."
                    Carter is the smart, kick bum, critical part of the team...

There, I said it.
                    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

{Mod Snip}
                      vein i believe

what has always made sam such a good and strong character is because she didn't fall into this sexist trap. She wasn't there to bare her cleavage or to hit on/sleep with the guys. She wasn't there for window dressing or to fill out the cat suit.

She was strong and smart and intellilgent and used her natural skills to earn her way in the world by being a strong, smart and intelligent person that didn't feel the need to play the 'i'm a woman' card. her gender was immaterial to who and what she was. She was an air force officer that just happened to be a woman. She wasn't the woman created and crafted to pander to the shallow mores of the hormonally charged set

Sam is 'real' in that she represents the millions of us women that make our way in the world on our skills in the office...not by tricking the boys with a smoke and mirrors cleavage show augmented with innuendo and quippage
                      Last edited by TameFarrar; 03 April 2006, 12:34 PM. Reason: quoted post removed as off topic
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                        "Look into my eyes...you will write Carter as the smart, kick bum, integral part of the team she is..."

Comment

in previous years, there was no need to add both airings together to get a 'good' number. The first run were strong enough to stand on their own. now they're not. And scifi can blame whatever they want - because there is no proof either way.

ratings are statistics and statistics can be twisted and warped to say whatever folks want them to say

skiffy doesn't want to admit that thier futzing with the shows has screwed them up and lost htem viewers....and hades will freeze before they even consider that possibiity

a year from now, well if htey decide to cancel the show, they'll use the very same numbers they're touting now as an excuse to pull the plug
                          Exactly - in prior years there was no need to add the first and second airings together to get a good rating. In fact when I went looking for second airing ratings for S7 and S8 I could not find any reference to them at all (ergo it leads me to believe that no one referenced them because the first airing ratings were good and solid, especially S8). I would suspect that the second airing ratings for S8 would be in the same range as the second airing for S9 meaning that S8 combined ratings would have been in the 3.0s, and higher, range consistenly as opposed to S9 which could not even hold its season premiere and second episode audience (2.1s) for the last 2 episodes, including the supposedly stupendous, wonderful, cannot be beat, best show ever, season finale (1.8 and 1.9 respectively). The promise of vala, bombs, spaceships and spacebattles did not bring the audience back - it means, IMO, that people who gave it a chance early in S9 did indeed find better shows on other channels or they found other things to do (as I did since I would borrow a tape from a friend and watch that - I refuse to tune my TV to sci-fi channel anymore for various reasons). I do think that TPTB should rethink their audience because their big season finale did not cut it even with fans who watched the first 2 eps.

Last edited by binkpmmc; 02 April 2006, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                            Sorry it has to be you I'm responding too again FH. What is your take on RCC's analysis of what the show needed?

I agree with your post Coley - after seeing S8 and the ratings and S9 and the crapola and the ratings it seems that the show didn't need it at all. IMO it was the last thing the show needed, along with a less-than-qualified "male" co-leader.

I sum up cooper's comments with my opinion that he is so out of touch with the show, the fans and quality in general he needs to be removed as show runner.
                            Last edited by binkpmmc; 02 April 2006, 04:01 PM.

Comment

vein i believe

what has always made sam such a good and strong character is because she didn't fall into this sexist trap. She wasn't there to bare her cleavage or to hit on/sleep with the guys. She wasn't there for window dressing or to fill out the cat suit.

She was strong and smart and intellilgent and used her natural skills to earn her way in the world by being a strong, smart and intelligent person that didn't feel the need to play the 'i'm a woman' card. her gender was immaterial to who and what she was. She was an air force officer that just happened to be a woman. She wasn't the woman created and crafted to pander to the shallow mores of the hormonally charged set

Sam is 'real' in that she represents the millions of us women that make our way in the world on our skills in the office...not by tricking the boys with a smoke and mirrors cleavage show augmented with innuendo and quippage
                              In short - Carter is a character that shows RESPECT for women - vala is not. (cooper IMO is an idiot - there I said it does that go beyond forum rules if so I will delete it but if not I stand by it, he!! I stand by it even if I have to delete it. He has ruined the show since he started as show runner - the decline started in mid S7 and it has not looked back as it plunged down the ravine and now lies in the muddy gully as a twisted mess, a battered and rusted shadow of it's former self).

Last edited by binkpmmc; 02 April 2006, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I would like to say that the following post is my opinion. I am not, in any way, saying that people shouldn't be allowed to post their opinions (despite the more than hint of sarcasm in my last post, I do respect opinions) or knocking what anyone else says. I just need to vent...

Ok, I don't like negative talk. I understand, and agree for the most part, but I don't need it right now. I have enough stresses in my life and go here to escape from all that, and most of the recent posts on here are just depressing me I think I'm going to go to bed as I have to get up very early for work. Hopefully I'll feel better after I've rested for a bit.
                                Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                                Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Working...
                                X