Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Formerhost
    Talk to MediaSavant about the ratings. All Friday's shows at 8 pm, 9 pm and 10 pm suffered because this year there was much stronger competition on network channels and so called "casual viewers" (not "die hard fans") made their choice to watch something else at these hours, plus there were The Olympic Games this year, but majority of them were returning at 11 pm to watch SG-1. And combined ratings for both airings showed that SG-1 got the best ratings of all 3 shows. 8 pm is not a good hour, because a lot of people are still outside their homes...

And as for the strong ratings for season 8, there wasn't such a strong competition on network channels like this year. MediaSavant explained that too.

BTW, I enjoyed the majority of season 9, maybe with the exception of 1 or 2 episodes, which bored me to death - Ex Deus Machina and Babylon. And it my opinion, season 9 was really good. But it's me...
    I say as long as the ratings are up enough for the show to continue, it's fine with me. That's the only reason I pay attention to that stuff anyway. Imo, people who don't watch SG-1 don't know what they are missing!

I liked a lot of season 9, but then I like a lot of most seasons. I'm not picky
    Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
    Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
      Great points, Spaz. In regard to advertising, Season 7 didn't get much advertising compared to BSG now, yet its second half did better than season 9's second half. Season 8 and Atlantis did get more advertising at first and I'm sure that helped the ratings initially, but so did the beginning of season 9 with all the hype of BB and CB coming on board. I guess what I'm saying is that Stargate has never received that much advertising and yet it did better in season 7 and 8 than in season 9.

And Stargate has always faced competition. To say that the ratings fell because of stronger competition---well, okay, the competition was stronger in that more people decided not to watch Stargate this year. The question is, why? When the summer Olympics was on, Stargate did much better against it in season 8 than this year with the Winter Olympics. Maybe, just maybe, some causal viewers really are turning away because, gasp, they really don't like it. It is very different. I don't mind people saying that compeition from other networks is one reason for the fall, but if that is all it is attributed to, it is a copout. Yes, all three shows saw falling ratings, but BSG continued to perform better, on average, than the other two.

When can a fall in ratings be attributed to---gee we may be losing fans/casual viewers -- they may be less enamoured with the show? What does it mean to lose against competition? It means they found other shows more exciting this year than in second half of season 7 and all of season 8. To me, its a combination that TPTB should consider. It's not just stronger competition. It's the fact that this new direction can't hold up against that competition. I hope things change for season 10.
      If they DIDN'T like, they wouldn't be returning at 11 pm after watching something else at 8 pm to watch the episode. With both airings combined SG-1 holds 1st place. And it's really great.

Comment

If they DIDN'T like, they wouldn't be returning at 11 pm after watching something else at 8 pm to watch the episode. With both airings combined SG-1 holds 1st place. And it's really great.
        question because I don't know where people are getting the ratings: is SG-1 doing WELL in the combined airings, or just BETTER than SGA (at midnight) and BSG (at 1am)?
        sigpic
        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Sorry--you're not convincing me. You'd have to compare the combined ratings across the seasons to see what is happening and we don't have that data. As Spaz said so well, you also can't compare the combined ratings of the shows in the night. It is not fair to compare them---BSG comes on at 1:00 second showing, for example. And we don't really have the combined data for the last handful of episodes either. The ratings for the first airing---that is what Scifi reports--are what we can compare. Also, if the ratings were SO good this year, we would have heard this from Scifi like we did much more regularly when season 8 aired. There has been little to nothing about the ratings for a very long time.

Minigeek summarized the situation the best---better than I've been doing!!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            hi, ncc,

i saw what you were going through at the other place, so i'm glad to see you over here. i hope you stay.

sally
            Thanks Sally. Yeah, I finally deleted that place from my favorites. I realized it was a heavily anti-ship/pro-slash msg board and that's not for me. That's not what the show is about so I decided to move on. I'm kind of sad, because there are really good posters over there but I noticed from the moderators a "do as I say not as I do" attitude. They feel they have too much power for a msg board.

I've been more a lurker on this board and I like it. No msg board is perfect, and not everyone is going to get along, but as noticed in an earlier post in this thread, someone mentioned that it seems shippers and non-shippers get along in here and it's true.

I'll enjoy reading the posts for now.

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
              Thanks Sally. Yeah, I finally deleted that place from my favorites. I realized it was a heavily anti-ship/pro-slash msg board and that's not for me. That's not what the show is about so I decided to move on. I'm kind of sad, because there are really good posters over there but I noticed from the moderators a "do as I say not as I do" attitude. They feel they have too much power for a msg board.

I've been more a lurker on this board and I like it. No msg board is perfect, and not everyone is going to get along, but as noticed in an earlier post in this thread, someone mentioned that it seems shippers and non-shippers get along in here and it's true.

I'll enjoy reading the posts for now.
              You're talking about OS board? Agree, they're extremely anti-ship in any form and pro-slash... definitely too much

Comment

Hey Kalliope, I noticed in the Sony forums that a while back you'd voted for Carter as the character you'd least like to see return to season ten. And you were (still are?) a major proponent for "The Second Original SG-1" (the one without Carter) over there, and that you agreed that Carter should be relegated to the background, if she was there at all. If I may be so bold as to ask, what changed your mind? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you did change your mind! I noticed in later posts you opted for both Carter and Vala to remain on the show (and I'd like to see more of the two of them together, myself). I was just wondering what the catalyst was, because you were pretty vehement that Carter should go; I remember reading your feelings a year or so ago, and they were ... quite different. I'd like to think it was Amanda herself who changed your mind. But hey... I thought I'd ask.

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  Awww, stop knocking RDA's legs. I think he has great legs. Next time he feels the urge to remove his pants for Amanda and the other castmembers, I hope they invite me to watch.

Wow, can't believe I just said that outloud. It's the meds I tell ya.
                  LOL. Do you think he was showing off a scar or something?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    LOL Maybe he just had the sudden urge to get all nekkid in front of his friends...

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      spoilers for s7's 'gemini'

even after all the convos i've read concerning sam's 'gemini' behaviors, i still don't see what she did was so bad. and it all comes back to WHO was manipulating her.

i have certain buttons that could be pushed to (probably) get me to do anything. and the ONLY person that knows those buttons are ME. so if a double of me -whether i knew it was a replicated humanoid or not- came and wanted to get me to do things... i'm pretty sure i'd be a goner.

i found gemini to be a *extreme* psychological dish, surved with a bitter side of regret. regret for manipulating fifth in 'unnatural selection', regret for him escaping in 'new order', regret for him creating another victim, and regret for letting herself get manipulated by her replicated self in the first place.

i love 'gemini'. (and yes, i have it on tape )

sally
                      I agree that replicator sam "had her number" and did manipulate her. I just wish we had *seen* more of the effect the replicator experience had on Sam, so it was more clear why she could be so misled.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        yep, he was showing his scar from the knee surgery he had.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          Hey Kalliope, I noticed in the Sony forums that a while back you'd voted for Carter as the character you'd least like to see return to season ten. And you were (still are?) a major proponent for "The Second Original SG-1" (the one without Carter) over there, and that you agreed that Carter should be relegated to the background, if she was there at all. If I may be so bold as to ask, what changed your mind? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you did change your mind! I noticed in later posts you opted for both Carter and Vala to remain on the show (and I'd like to see more of the two of them together, myself). I was just wondering what the catalyst was, because you were pretty vehement that Carter should go; I remember reading your feelings a year or so ago, and they were ... quite different. I'd like to think it was Amanda herself who changed your mind. But hey... I thought I'd ask.

mg
                          This "while back" was around "Beachhead" episode as far as I remember and I must admit at that time I, don't want say "hate", but really didn't like Sam. And loved "The second original team". That's right. But I didn't stopped watching season 9 episodes after Vala left, thank God temporarily and slowly, very slowly started to change my mind about Sam's character. "Ripple Effect" was kinda turning point for me, I really LOVED Sam in this one Not to mention "Crusade", this short, but really cute "chocolate" moment interaction between Sam and Vala-inDaniel'sbody is one of my fav scenes in this episode.

Mg, now when you revealed my alter-ego, I really hope Skydiver is not going to put me on ban on moderation again...

Comment

So I really, really am a Samandan? Weeeeee!!!!!!

I hope others who may have had the same thought read the previous statements which explain the difference.

Comment

This "while back" was around "Beachhead" episode as far as I remember and I must admit at that time I, don't want say "hate", but really didn't like Sam. And loved "The second original team". That's right. But I didn't stopped watching season 9 episodes after Vala left, thank God temporarily and slowly, very slowly started to change my mind about Sam's character. "Ripple Effect" was kinda turning point for me, I really LOVED Sam in this one Not to mention "Crusade", this short, but really cute "chocolate" moment interaction between Sam and Vala-inDaniel'sbody is one of my fav scenes in this episode.

Mg, now when you revealed my alter-ego, I really hope Skydiver is not going to put me on ban on moderation again...
                              I don't think she would but you'll definately be under watchful eyes.

Everyone should remember that we all make mistakes.

Remember our motto:

HIC COMITAS REGIT
                              ( Kindness Reigns Here )

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz
                                I don't think she would but you'll definately be under watchful eyes.

Everyone should remember that we all make mistakes.

Remember our motto:

HIC COMITAS REGIT
                                ( Kindness Reigns Here )
                                As it should be everywhere...

Comment

Working...
                                X