Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1
    Don't worry dex, that was what she heard before she signed her contract, which has ( I hope) been cleared up

Yes that's all been cleared up. Amanda hasn't been scheduled for even one Atlantis episode yet, and is still a full functioning member of Sg1. If she is in Atlantis eps this year there's no way she's going to be in TEN, Probably 4 or 5 at the most.
    The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
    |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      of course they will be. Just like, for a recent eps of er they promoted the 'return of dr carter' and all we saw of him in the eps was the 5 seconds that was in the promo

skiffy believes/thinks/feels that the only ones that matter on the show are vala, cam and daniel (the blond and the black dude???? eh, no one cares about them) so any and all promotion will be skewed to concentrate on the aspects they think will pull in the most viewers

whether the general fan is looking to Valagate or not, skiffy thinks we are, so they will promote it...just like they promoted the return of daniel in s7 despite the fact that a decent sized chunk of the fandom didn't give a fig that he was returning

Well, they really haven't been saying much about Cam either in the spoilers so far. And if they think that Cam and Vala will be bringing in viewers---haven't they just learned from season 9 that this not how it goes?

What is interesting about Daniel is that when he returned in season 7, this did not mean he would be the focus of the show. He ended up being a focus, but not any more, and some would argue less, than the Sam and Jack. They did little in the way of his ascension, and then finally did a little of this in season 8, where Sam and Jack were still quite central as well.

The viewers are pulled in by good and consistent writing, with good character development----we had very little of this in season 9, IMO. It's funny--but the folks I know who are still trying to watch the show and who don't come online are saying that if they promote Mitchell above Carter, or who have Vala as more important (and if CB is above AT and CJ in the credits), it's all over them (I think so for me too). They couldn't even try to continue to watch. I would hope Skiffy has learned something for this year's ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
        Welllll.... she didn't - not exactly - that's one of those comments that, if taken out of context, can be a dangerous thing. I don't recall the exact words used, I'm sure another Samandan does. Essentially (to paraphrase differently from my pov) I believe the gist was that Amanda meant she wanted to come back for season ten; intended to come back, and the fact that episode 200 was in season ten was an added reason that she wanted to be there, because having been on the show since the beginning, it was/is a special milestone that she definitely didn't want to miss with "the family".

As I recall her actual wording was much shorter than that, and as such, I suppose the interperetation could vary from what I got out of it (see above) and what others might have (see further above).
        That's what I thought too. The only thing I'd ever read was that she hoped to be there for ep. 200, and that she hoped Carter had a good role. That's a far cry from staying out of loyalty.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
          Yes that's all been cleared up. Amanda hasn't been scheduled for even one Atlantis episode yet, and is still a full functioning member of Sg1. If she is in Atlantis eps this year there's no way she's going to be in TEN, Probably 4 or 5 at the most.

thanks for this MajorSam. What I don't get is why have Sam go to Atlantis in some of the episodes in the second half while Daniel also will be out of the show for two episodes? Maybe it is like others have said--either SG-1 is ending, or they are trying for a spinoff with Mitch, Vala, and Teal'c. I can't imagine why they would even think this would work, however. Daniel and Sam both have very large fanbases---take them out---viewers would go way down even more than they already have.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
            That's what I thought too. The only thing I'd ever read was that she hoped to be there for ep. 200, and that she hoped Carter had a good role. That's a far cry from staying out of loyalty.

I think this is what people are referring to from Stargate Magazine? AT did an interview and it took place during the end of filming of season 9 (OCT of last year).

"I don't know what the line up is going to be next year -- who will be here and who won't be here. But we're looking at going to 200 episodes, and I want to be here for that! It's worked this year with Olivia, and it'll be easier next year because I won't be breastfeeding."

If this is what people are referring to, then she doesn't mention doing it out of loyalty. AT should want to be there for this episode and also solidly in season 10--she deserves it---she is a large part of the show's success for all these years.

Comment

i don't think they're thinking clearly. They being the folks at skiffy/sony.

in my GIHE way (glass is half empty), well if Sam and Daniel, and possibly Jack are off on atlantis....well that does set up the Cam/Vala/Teal'c show doesn't it?

I'm mixed about sam being on atlantis. I know that atlantis fans are afraid that thier favored characters will be slighted to accomodate sam. but i personaly am looking forward to it simply because - to me - atlantis lacks decent female characters and sam being on it would only give me more to watch.
              I don't want to feel like sam is being squeezed off sg1, y et i know that sg1 has a limited shelf life - and given how AT was treated with the s10 contracts, i kinda find it promising that she's branching out to another show since it gives her more options than to continue at SG1 where, evidentally, she's so taken for granted

six one way, half a dozen another. in the end all that counts is that AT does what's best for her
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

congratulations to Mandy!!!!!!

proud owner of pot 34000!!!!!!
                Thanks Sky and here's a drink for everyone on the thread to celebrate
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                  Be nice!

If the show does get cancelled it will NOT be Mitchell or Vala's fault. It will be the writers and producers faults, but like all *good* producers & writers they'll let the two newest actors take the fall which is very ****ty imho!
                  Fair or not, Cameron and Vala are among the most visible changes to the show, so it is quite possible that they will be blamed if the show is cancelled, even though the best actor in the world can't do much with crappy writing.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

it can be argued that, in changing the show and tweaking it to fit the new characters, the writers have altered it TOO much and turned too many fans away

Yes, ratings are fairly decent, but nowhere near the blockbuster you would expect from all the pimpage
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

it can be argued that, in changing the show and tweaking it to fit the new characters, the writers have altered it TOO much and turned too many fans away

Yes, ratings are fairly decent, but nowhere near the blockbuster you would expect from all the pimpage

I think that is very true. They may be able to recapture some of their audience, but the first handful of episodes have to be really good and make sense to BOTH longtime and new fans. I don't know if that is possible anymore.

The ratings are fairly decent, but definitely should signal a red flag. When your second half of the new and shiny season gets a 1.7 average, while your season 7 back half gets a 1.9, and all of season 8 gets an average of 2.1---not so good. The finale should get really high ratings (like in season 7 with a 2.1 and season 8 with a 2.4). This season 9 finale was not able to even reach (let alone beat) the ratings of the beginning of the season. That is unusual.

I am very curious to see if any actor, producer, or director even mentions the overall ratings of season 9 in interviews.

Comment

Given the advantage bringing in two new actors with established fan bases gave TPTB this season, the decline in ratings between Seasons Eight and Nine illustrates how poorly they handled the transition.

A means of bringing in new viewers was handed to them on a silver platter, but instead they managed to alienate existing fans.

Do they actually think they did a good job on Season Nine?

Comment

in my GIHE way (glass is half empty), well if Sam and Daniel, and possibly Jack are off on atlantis....well that does set up the Cam/Vala/Teal'c show doesn't it?

I'm mixed about sam being on atlantis. I know that atlantis fans are afraid that thier favored characters will be slighted to accomodate sam. but i personaly am looking forward to it simply because - to me - atlantis lacks decent female characters and sam being on it would only give me more to watch.
                          I don't want to feel like sam is being squeezed off sg1, y et i know that sg1 has a limited shelf life - and given how AT was treated with the s10 contracts, i kinda find it promising that she's branching out to another show since it gives her more options than to continue at SG1 where, evidentally, she's so taken for granted

six one way, half a dozen another. in the end all that counts is that AT does what's best for her

So true. What matters is what's best for AT. I hope it is working out so far.

Comment

If they move Sam and Jack (and preferably Daniel and Teal'c with them) to Atlantis, SG-1 can sink or swim with Cameron and Vala. I won't care.

For me, SG-1 was always about the team. Whatever show they are on, I'll be watching.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                              I think that is very true. They may be able to recapture some of their audience, but the first handful of episodes have to be really good and make sense to BOTH longtime and new fans. I don't know if that is possible anymore.

The ratings are fairly decent, but definitely should signal a red flag. When your second half of the new and shiny season gets a 1.7 average, while your season 7 back half gets a 1.9, and all of season 8 gets an average of 2.1---not so good. The finale should get really high ratings (like in season 7 with a 2.1 and season 8 with a 2.4). This season 9 finale was not able to even reach (let alone beat) the ratings of the beginning of the season. That is unusual.

I am very curious to see if any actor, producer, or director even mentions the overall ratings of season 9 in interviews.
                              What? Admit that they made a mistake, when they do so well at tap dancing around the issue
                              Not to mention how they treat long term fans
                              Spoiler:
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                                What? Admit that they made a mistake, when they do so well at tap dancing around the issue
                                Not to mention how they treat long term fans
                                Spoiler:
                                You're probably right.

It's a shame, because unless they can realize that they made some wrong choices for Season Nine, and admit this, if only to themselves, we cannot expect improvement in Season Ten, or any further seasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X