No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's safe to say, when it comes down to the details, everyone here wants something a bit different from s10

Now i do also think it's safe to say that one thing we all want is plenty of 'good' Sam....we all just need to remember that 'good' is a relative term and means different things to different people
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
      For the spoiler-inclined among you, there is a bit of further information about Counter Strike posted at Our Stargate. Carter is mentioned.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/ourst...ges?msg=7974.1
      Thanks for that Golfbooy and Sally.

If my rant turns out to be for naught and S10 turns out to be full of substance and leadership and strong, intelligent Carter I will be the first one back here admitting my mistake and eating my words - until then I just cannot muster anything else.

and in light of AT perhaps seeing my rant since she has now said twice, that I know of, that she visits here - I say sorry if it upsets you but that is an honest, open assessment of my opinion and feelings on what has been happening to one of my favorite, all-time characters, a lead female character that you made believable, respectable, strong, intelligent and incredibly kick-a$$ all the way around, a character that I could be proud of and I hate seeing command taken away, Jolinar a distant memory, Jacob and Janet poof, etc. I want THAT Sam Carter back from S 1 - 6 1/2 (plus the leader of S8). Feel free to throw a bone as to what exactly I have to look forward to in S10 for this character - what substance, what leadership, what kick-a$$ integral character points and stories we will see.

Comment

I don't need any SHIP to be strong

Last edited by Mandysg1; 31 March 2006, 07:13 PM.
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          it's not necesariy seeing Sam as diminished. it's the fear that, when ship is the focus, that's all they do about/with sam. If she's not half of '&Jack' then she has no purpose or reason to be there

It's not her showing the emotion...it's that, especially given how these boys can't write women, the ship gets used as and excuse/crutch to not even try to do anything else with her
          well, when they didn't have s/j ship (in season 9), they *still* didn't give her anything substantial to do (so s/j can't be blamed). and since they took one huge, honking storyline away from her (commanding sg1)... grrl, i'm going to take some deep breaths and go back to my happy place.

rda's coming back, rda's coming back... *sighs*

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Sam Carter was one of my first role models when I was little -- when people asked me what I wanted to be I immediately said astrophysicist. Just because I fell in love with that character doesn't mean that I'm opposed to change and want the "original Sam" back. Quite the opposite -- seeing the character change and evolve has been a joy and a pleasure, and I don't want that quashed by any means. The thing is, not only does the future of Sam worry me, but I feel that that character's future is deeply tied to the future path of the show itself. I've been keeping my opinions about the changes on the series to myself, but I'm still kind of on the fence about a lot of things. The last thing I want is for any of the characters to be changed, weakened, or mangled beyond recognition. I guess I first noticed this change with a few of Daniel's scenes in the beginning of the season. Something struck me as a little...off. It was different, and what scares me is that this might become a pattern. I'm just wishing, hoping, and praying that the characters we've all gotten to know stick true to who they're supposed to be. Change is to be expected with such big storyarcs as in Stargate, and I welcome that. I just don't want Sam or any other character to be completely altered to accomodate that change.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              I don't need any SHIP to be strong

Foothold, still by far, IMO, one of the best Carter episodes ever (along with Singularity and I always loved Enemies too).
              Last edited by binkpmmc; 01 April 2006, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                Exactly Skydiver - these writers stink at "feelings" of that sort and since S9 was a bust for the character, if not for the jack thing in S10 I see them taking Carter nowhere fast in S10 again just like S9. IMO, at this point in time, it seems that to TPTB Carter is only prominent when there is a second half and it is of the opposite sex.
                i'm seeing the s/j thing in season 10 as them picking up from where they left off in 'threads/moebius' in s8.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                  Foothold, still by far, IMO, one of the best Carter episodes ever (along with Singularity and I always loved Enemies too).
                  Lest we forget Nightwalkers!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                    Lest we forget Nightwalkers!
                    And Entity!
                    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                      Except that, I do want them to ratify "the ship", too. I want them to use that innuendo; however they can most powerfully, to give no uncertainty to the fact that Sam and Jack are a couple. What I don't want is to see "As The Stargate Turns". I want my Sam and Jack to be real, established, unquestionably together - but please for the love of all that's holy - not maudlin or cliche. Strong, undeniable, (if understated) passion.
                      so, and i'm crossing over into super shipness here, would you be against some sam/jack romance scenes like we saw between sam and pete in the first half of chimera? i LOVED those scenes. i didn't think they were over the top or took up too much time. heck, it was only one ep. *that's what i want* for sam and jack.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Foothold, Nightwalkers and Entity are some of my faves. As well as Desperate Measues and A Matter if Time.

Suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          so, and i'm crossing over into super shipness here, would you be against some sam/jack romance scenes like we saw between sam and pete in the first half of chimera? i LOVED those scenes. i didn't think they were over the top or took up too much time. heck, it was only one ep. *that's what i want* for sam and jack.

sally
                          I wouldn't be averse to it, Sally. But I do think Sam and Jack deserve more context than they gave Sam and Pete in those scenes - those were done simply for the sake of showing Carter in a sexual relationship. Sam and Jack is a deeper, more controversial and more eloquent story than that, ergo I'd like to see any sort of physicality between them on-screen arrived at apropos of something more meaningful than "hey, check it out, Sam and Jack are in bed together!". There's an intense (sometimes almost frightening) passion/bond between them. I'm not sure the writing team would do that justice, and (while I'm more than shallow enough to want to believe Sam and Jack are going at it like bunnies off screen ), I'm a little ambivelant about seeing an insensitive or cliche version of Sam and Jack on-screen that would essentially canonize the arguments a lot of non shippers have had against the union. I AM a shipper, which means I want my Sam & Jack, and I want it done right too - damn it! lol Now where the heck DID I put that glowy ball thing? Mandy! Give that back!

mg

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            I think it's safe to say, when it comes down to the details, everyone here wants something a bit different from s10

Now i do also think it's safe to say that one thing we all want is plenty of 'good' Sam....we all just need to remember that 'good' is a relative term and means different things to different people
                            Well that's it, right? To butcher a grand old song... my friend Sam and your friend Sam, sitting by the fire...

Comment

Oh, and something else I've wanted to see - episode wise - for Carter. We saw her in roles such as Foothold where she was still climbing the ropes of experience, but now after a decade, she's really capable of practically running the whole show herself (by that I mean the SGC, even). So what if something happened, and Landry was ill-equipped to deal with it in the sense that he just didn't have the same background and experience, and Carter had to step in (laterally) and get them out of it again, much like Foothold did, only without the lack of experience, how would things be different this time and what would the story be like? I've often thought about that, she's not the same officer now that she was back then anymore.

Comment

Well mini I thought I clean it up for you a bit, but it kinda fell in and...I can't find it
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X