Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scarimor

Sam: Funny... I don't remember kissing this one.
    LOL.

AT: Amazing--all my lines fit on this small tablet...

Comment

Originally posted by jannagalaxy
      I might of done....I'm not sure.
      If you open the topic, it'll tell you if you voted.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor

Sam: Funny... I don't remember kissing this one.
        Well done!

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          I have to disagree totally with the last paragraph. I would have expected Rob to tell Amanda first that there may be changes to her character. She has worked her butt off for the show for 8 years and her portrayal of Sam Carter has gone a long way in helping the show to become a success. It would not be natural for me to talk to a newcomer first. In the event everyone else had been asked to come back and had contracts - apart from Amanda. That is a disgrace in my opinion. Put yourself inAmanda's shoes!!
          i agree. asking claudia to join is all fine and well....but asking her before they even told amanda that she had a job???? And this was after every single member of the cast had been approached BUT her????

insulting.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I loved the old SG1 - 8 seasons. I want the old style show. For me season 9 isn't great, the show is a shadow of it's former self and everything that made it a unique show. I don't need big names or a large cast. I want the small nucleus of SG1 working together as a team.

Have you watched the first 8 seasons formerhost?
            I agree with you Coley - if they insist on calling it SG1 to glom onto the "longest running sci-fi show" crapola than I expect SG1 not some lame excuse for SG1 and I do not want to hear other lame excuses that this is a NEW show. Then call it a new show, change the name, explain the premise and move on but until they change the name and the characters I will expect SG1 and the high standards they set for 8 seasons and that is not what we are getting, IMO. Now we get mediocre, sci-fi caricatures, lame goofy characters, low-brow humor, ridiculously out of place one-liners from a cowboy, flyboy and a show that is laughed at and openly mocked by many fans and a show that is but a shadow of it's former self.

I think this new show is lame and it is a joke - thank God for the remnants of the original SG1 in the BIG 3 otherwise this whole season would have been a bust and I would have been gone after episode zero since I woudln't have watched this at all.

They are indeed doing a disservice to the 8 years (well 7 1/2) of making SG1 an intelligent, well-written drama by still calling this schlock SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
              Have you read the quote from Claud's interview in my sig? She said that Vala HAS A MORAL COMPASS...
              I have my own opinion not Claudia's. My tongue in cheek retort to Claudia's would be "Shame she hasn't used it more often"

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                It shouldn't be too hard to do. Just switch Claudia Black with Amanda Tapping, subtract four years, and add all of the variables that have contributed to season nine:

1.) Say Farscape had lasted a looooong time - nine years, in fact

2.) Say Claudia Black went on maternity leave just before the production of the ninth season

3.) Say Ben Browder, after years and years of working in the biz, decided to retire and spend time with his family

4.) Say Aeryn and the rest of the Farscape folks were all downsized for...

a.) Michael Shanks, as Sir Hottie Pants, who had superb chemistry with Rygel
                and
                b.) Amanda Tapping, as Blondie McPerfection, who found herself infringing a tad on Aeryn's territory...
                Considering the fact that Farscape was being filmed entirely in Australia and like everybody said in interviews or commentaries, it would be impossible to film it somewhere else just because of costs - Australia was the cheapest for Henson company), these changes would be rather impossible simply just because of this reason, unless AT and MS relocated to Sydney

5.) Say that, once Claudia Black made it back to the set, the show was already transformed into something completely different - both internally and externally

I could go on and on... They're big changes when you've taken the time and the energy to watch a show, its characters and the actors who play them for years. For someone like yourself, who has seen every episode of Farscape, it would probably seem quite ludicrous for someone like me (or Coley? ) coming onto the scene once MS and AT were on board, claiming that this was the absolute best for the show, hands down. The rest was always boring - the original actors' contributions, be damned.
                Cast changes were happening on Farscape actually every season. We lost one character at the beginning of the third season, the new character joined at the beginning of the same season, another one at the end of third and the last at the beginning of fourth. So new people on the show aren't really the problem.

Especially considering I have never seen an entire episode of the series.
                Big mistake...

That doesn't quite fly. Cooper may have been working directly with Claudia Black the most at that point in time, but he'd been working with Amanda Tapping for several years. There's really no excuse for him not communicating with her in some capacity, before she heard on the grapevine that she was the only one who hadn't been contacted - if not as a professional (in which case, you would definitely expect communication), then at least as an acquaintance. There's really no ethical reason behind it, besides being too much of a weeny to address the issue directly, whatever it was at the time.
                That was a mistake, a big one. The only thing I can say in defence of Coop that with Crusade being his directorial debut he definitely didn't even know his own name at that time.

Comment

I have my own opinion not Claudia's. My tongue in cheek retort to Claudia's would be "Shame she hasn't used it more often"
                  I'm pretty sure she's going to in season 10...

Comment

If they weren't able to get Claudia in season 8 I doubt the character of Vala ever existed...
                    oh the character would have existed. They would have just cast somene else, like the re-cast orlin and cassie and have made other casting changes during the years

FOr you and for other claudia fans, the show is a goldmine. she is obviously adored and the gem of tptb's eyes. Doesn't stop her character from being seriously flawed and definitely not a character that - prior to s9 - anyone would expect to be a part of the show, at least not on a regular and in the forefront of the show basis

However, if a random actress was playing vala, the same 'bad girl with a heart of gold' cliche that she is now...would she still be as interesting and preferred...or would she fall the way of the other cliches they've tried over the years?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                      I thought it was about time I popped over to this thread and said hi to everyone. I seem to be living in the Who Should Lead thread at the moment, definitely time for a change of pace!

Why am I here? Because Sam is such a great character of course However she is not my favourite character as I don't have one. Since day 1 of the series I have been a team fan more than anything, boy has S9 been a let down in that area for me

I'm a fan of both Stargate and Farscape and I was cautiously looking forward to S9. Funnily enough I was more worried about Vala than I was about Mitchell fitting in. Now at the end of the season I can see Vala fitting in if they keep her toned down but I still cannot see Mitchell ggrrrrrrrrrr

I guess I better take that to another thread huh?

Actually I'm really wanting to see some Sam and Vala scenes as I think AT & CB are both great actresses. Let's hope the writers give them something good to work with (but I won't hold my breath)
                      You are doing a great job on the WSLP thread - debating backed up with facts and canon - too bad "others" cannot say the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                        This is very interseting discussion. But should it really be here on the Samanda thread? The Anti-Seaon 9 is almost dead and a lot of the stuff siad seems to belong in anti-season 10. <g> I know, I've been there. And feel very comfortable there.

I guess my point is would Amanda feel comfortable here now.

Suse
                        re-lurking
                        Thank you Suse. Exactly my thoughts. I keep asking me if I clicked on the wrong thread when I come here.

Goes back to lurking until this thread goes back to its former self: Sam/Amanda loving thread where kindness reigns.
                        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Have you read the quote from Claud's interview in my sig? She said that Vala HAS A MORAL COMPASS...

Take into consideration that this particular newcomer was quite heavily pregnant during filming this episode, feeling maybe not very well, so I guess Rob just wanted to be nice towards her and this was the reason for talking to her first. I agree though that everybody should have received contract at the same time.
                          Producers don't talk to actors re:contracts. Stargate side talks to the actors agent. It is completely inappropiate to talk contact with the actor, not to mention a breach in union rules. And you can't be an actor without being in the union.

=============
                          On topic:
                          We need more con reports with Amanda!
                          ---------------------

Suse
                          Last edited by suse; 29 March 2006, 12:44 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            You know, I talked to a lot of Stargate fans on my way to and from the Vancouver Con and even more at the con who have never heard of Gateworld or been on any other Stargate forum who weren't extremely happy with the way the season has been going this year. Many asked why Mitchell was in charge and Sam wasn't. Others seemed really disappointed by the lack of the any real team interaction this season, others disliked the fact that the Stargate was rarely used anymore and others had told me that they were rather bored by the Ori storyline.
                            Originally posted by minigeek
                            That's how it is here, too, among the folks I've spoken to who watch but have never been online in these forums (which used to be ME TOO only a year ago!). The consensus is unanimous that this version of SG-1 isn't cutting it.

Unfortunately that's what I'm getting too from the people that I dragged into watching SG-1, the ones who borrowed all my DVDs to catch up, because they couldn't believe they'd been missing such a great show. They never went online, but they watched faithfully once they got caught up. But a few episodes into S9, they've quit watching. They'll occasionally watch if it's the only thing on, but they don't record it, don't worry if they miss it, don't really care about it at all.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              Perhaps Smith's comments at the convention were in part to make up for this shoddy contract stuff. I mean when everyone else has a contract but you, including the new "flavor of the month", wouldn't you think "pink slip?" It was completely disrespectful and while there may have been "reasons" they don't *excuse* the behavior. This was probably a case of AT being too nice for her own good--"old reliable Amanda won't hold us up at the negotiating table, we can talk to her last." Grrr. Guess I just can't let go of this, can I?
                              IMHO, they take her for granted. and seem to have the idea that 'eh, we can do what we want cause, you know, she's a sport. she'll take it'

The treatment isn't the actors' faults. It's TPTB. It's coop who seems as fanatical in his devotion to all things claudia/vala as some of her fans.

All it does do is prove that if there is one classy person at bridge, there aint' a C in that person's name.

I admire her grace and dignity even as i'm angered at the mistreatment...and i fear that, given coop's blatant preferences and predjudices, that it'll just continue

sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure she's going to in season 10...
                                I hope so, but then she will have lost quite a lot of what she used to be. So as a Vala fan who thinks Vala is brilliant. How do you feel about Vala changing?

Comment

Working...
                                X