Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorSam

Sounds exactly like something i'd wanted to see... exactly. Why did it get cut!?
    You got me. cause scenes like THAT are what fans have been missing. THose little non-plot moving moments that show that these folks actually give a fig about each other

See, that's the stuff that should stay and the expensive sfx that needs to be toned down

if the characters are boring, so is the show
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      You got me. cause scenes like THAT are what fans have been missing. THose little non-plot moving moments that show that these folks actually give a fig about each other

See, that's the stuff that should stay and the expensive sfx that needs to be toned down

Exactly.

We had a lot of big ships and cool explosions. But really...is that what made SG-1 special?

Sure...we loved Lost City 2 and the fight at the end of it. But we loved it because it was special and it was simply a part of the entire experience that used to focus on the team and the people individually.

I miss the character interactions. I miss personal issues. One thing that I liked about ship was that we saw a non-techie/non-military side of Sam. I miss seeing these other sides.

I wanted to see Sam and Vala become friends and get on each others nerves and play off of each other. I wanted them to bond over their shared past as unwilling hosts and clash over their completely opposite personalities.

And this scene fits EXACTLY the kind of scene I'm craving desperately after the emotional wasteland of Season 9.

Oy.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
        I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but I don't see Sam/Cam friendship extending beyond him joining the stargate program. (am i seriously the ONLY one?)
        No.

Comment

Haven't been in this thread for ages. It's growing so fast.

Originally posted by Skydiver

I totally agree.
          Not that explosions and CGI aren't fun. But how are we supposed to care for the characters when they're in danger, if we don't even know them properly.

A.
          VALA - COOL, FUNNY, SEXY, SMART

Comment

i go back and forth.

while i can see them knowing each other before the sgc in some way, i can't see her...ringing him up to go out for adrink.

he's a co-worker, someone that she has more than a passing acquaintance with but beyond that??

well, to be truthful, if i were her the bits of hero worship that we get from cam would put me off. it'd make me uncomfortable
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
              I know I'm in the extreme minority here (am i seriously the ONLY one?), but I don't see Sam/Cam friendship extending beyond him joining the stargate program. actaully, I don't see them REALLY close (depend on me, I'm always there close) until he joined the team. I've only ever seen Sam being, well...Sam. you know, caring about people, respectful, and all that loverly jazz.

and to be canon i don't think he went to AFA. Avalon Part 2:
              Spoiler:
              "took a little fencing in college...Ok so I flunked fencing."
              Last time i checked, (...ahem...) fencing is only an intercollegiate course at the AFA (can't fail it. also can't really take 'a little', depending on your definition of 'little'.)
              Its more likely he did AFROTC somewhere.

EDIT: ah. figured out what that pretty red light next to my name means. ::feels like a n00b::
              Not really.

When I first heard about Mitchell joining the team plus from the sense from Avalon that they were friends, (let's have breakfast when you get back) I thought they were kinda hinting that they knew each other well, beyond just her visiting him a few times in the hospital and during his recovery. I thought he'd be connected to her...maybe they flew together in the Gulf or something...that kind of thing. I wanted some reason why they completely and totally accepted him, without question and without him having to prove himself to them.

But then in Beachhead, I saw that she didn't know his callsign and therefore didn't fly together...which is a shame because that would have been neat to have him actually have a connection to the team...an actual bond that extended beyond the farcical reason for his placement there.

And at some point in the season, I realized that this was it. That's all they were going to give us. They simply inserted a person there and demanded with their over the top promotion of the new leader that we the viewing audience accept him and his presence.

The problem for me is my accepting him (or not accepting him as is the case) is based entirely on how they chose to write him, how they chose to dump him in there and how they chose to ignore not only logic and common sense but also the established characters, their history and the canon of the show to do it.

My Ben!love is still strong...but my Mitchell issues are strong too because of how TPTB chose to characterize him. Perhaps were he not "the leader" it wouldn't be a big deal because that skewed the entire team chemistry. Perhaps I could have laughed off many of his antics as the "new guy" and not seen it as an affront to Carter who I believe quite strongly should be the leader of the team.

I had looked forward to her in this role...seeing her take charge and giving orders and whipping the new guy into shape (figuratively! figuratively whipping!!!). Although we've seen her in charge this season, she didn't rail on him when she clearly wanted to because of this whole disaster area of a team dynamic.

I'm still there for Sam though. Still holding on and hoping that at some point that there will be some sorts of deep, meaningful scenes that explain many of the things I don't get about this past season.
              Last edited by Uber; 27 March 2006, 02:44 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                I had looked forward to her in this role...seeing her take charge and giving orders and whipping the new guy into shape (figuratively! figuratively whipping!!!). Although we've seen her in charge this season, she didn't rail on him when she clearly wanted to because of this whole disaster area of a team dynamic.

I'm still there for Sam though. Still holding on and hoping that at some point that there will be some sorts of deep, meaningful scenes that explain many of the things I don't get about this past season.
                Shh Oooober, don't let Myrth finds out about the whipping, remeber what happened at the Samanda Pool
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

The problem for me is ... how they chose to ignore not only logic and common sense but also the established characters, their history and the canon of the show to do it.
                  <snip>
                  Perhaps I could have laughed off many of his antics as the "new guy" and not seen it as an affront to Carter who I believe quite strongly should be the leader of the team.
                  Watching Touchstone and seeing Area 51 in all its vastness is... painful.

Someone tell me again why Carter ( who's a scientist first and foremost ) came back (or was re-assigned) to SG-1?
                  Last edited by DEM; 27 March 2006, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                    Watching Touchstone and seeing Area 51 in all its vastness is... painful.

Someone tell me again why Carter (who's a scientist first and foremost ) came back (or was re-assigned) to SG-1?
                    I think that's by the magic of this little thing called plot device.
                    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Hiya guys

First of all, HOLY MACARONI to the bazillion pages that have gone by in the past few days!

I guess I want to start by saying a huge THANKS to everyone who posted their "con bits" and reports and the like. I haven't read everything yet, but I've read a few bits here and there and it sounds like a grand time was had by all. So thanks guys .... tsaxlady, MajorSam and everyone else. Cheers!

Secondly, I'm seeing all these rumblings about some kind of potential Sam/Jack scene in the near future, or something of the sort, did someone at the con say something to that effect? If so, I'm SHOCKED. LOL - they're usually total clams about that kind of thing.

And thirrrdly, I'm sorry I couldn't be here throughout the weekend to play and chatter with ya'll! What I did this weekend was not fun (to say the least), but coming here always makes me smile - so thanks for that, too.

Lots of love from the geeek++++

(Off to read more of these posts from way back in the thread...)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

And at some point in the season, I realized that this was it. That's all they were going to give us. They simply inserted a person there and demanded with their over the top promotion of the new leader that we the viewing audience accept him and his presence.
                        Agreed, Ooober. And well said, too. I'm apathetic about the Mitchell character. I could take or leave him, frankly. Since he's allegedly going to be firmly established as "team leader" next year, I suppose all we're in for is - more of the same. Oh well.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor

Gonna join Dark in the slashin, heh.
                          From the way MajorSam explained it to me on msn, it almost sounded as if Amanda herself was a Sam/Vala shipper!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                            From the way MajorSam explained it to me on msn, it almost sounded as if Amanda herself was a Sam/Vala shipper!
                            Dream on, Aussieboy.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              Well, GOOD. I wonder if the idea that fans feel AT has been "dissed" got through to the producers?

I was wondering that too. It is interesting timing for the executive producer to come out and say this at a convention. I don't mind, mind you, but it is interesting timing, given what happened last Fall.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                                Don't think anyone's said this already...

re Cam!Leader issue being addressed in S10

Spoiler:
                                Apparantly in some random way everyone (sg1) gets invited up to General LANDRY'S cabin one time. (totally random imo, but ok then...) Something goes weird so that only Mitchell ends up at the cabin, stuck with the General for however long a time. That's when the leader thing is addressed, from what I got, with the whole "can't presume to give Sam orders, couldn't order Tealc and wont Daniel" And I got the impression that Cam will be wondering himself why he's leading

This is just what I got from that bit... in between all the Amanda "but y'know, i'm not bitters!" in her snarky way. It was actually very funny but still had the interesting points underneath it all.

Another interesting story about Amanda's hopes for her family in the future... apparantly her husband and she have been talking and in about 5 years or so once Olivia's bigger they're wanting to adopt a 10 or 11 year old. At that age they dont really have chances of being adopted because everyone wants babies, but Amanda and Alan want to give one of them their chance. How sweet of her is that???

Wow---thanks for letting us know this MajorSam. That's really wonderful. I was wondering if AT and her husband would ever consider adoption. My partner and I adopted our daughter (at 9 months old and she is now 7, and a great kid I may add!) and we have alot of friends who have adopted both younger and older kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X