Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    To you and all those who have agreed - the discussion about Cameron is quite relevant to this thread as he has taken the place - i.e. SG1 leader - that many of us (not all of us) feel should have been Sam's. Thus I think it is very relevant as to whether he is a good or bad leader....
    It is not the discussion of whether he should or should not be a leader, it is the comments like the one where someone wished Daniel had waited a few more seconds and that the Black Knight had killed Mitchell. Maybe I'm different, but, yes, wishing a character were dead seems like bashing to me. That post was followed by a few others that agreed wholeheartedly that they also wish Mitchell had died. And as Sam wasn't even in that scene, it seemed like an attack that I shouldn't have found on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      Hey Chillin... I suppose I'm one of those people who have said negative things about Mitchell, and I apologize if I stepped over the line into bashing. I try to keep most of my negativity to the anti-threads, but if I slipped up, I'm sorry.

I don't think they gave Ben the leadership position to bring in Farscape fans. They would have accomplished that by bringing him to the show in any capacity (and I'm sure that it was a very deliberate strategy on their part). I think they gave Ben the leadership role because they wanted a leading MAN. It's studio politics/sexism, and if they had written the same backstory for ANY actor, I would have had issues with it. I think AT/Carter could have led SG-1 successfully and the ratings wouldn't have hurt. TPTB felt differently. It's hard not to express my displeasure with this without criticizing the choices they made in terms of the characters as presented.

For what it's worth, it doesn't matter who they got to play the role, I would have had problems with the way they handled it and wrote the character. It's a writing and directing issue, not an acting/actor issue. Does that make sense? Does it make a difference?

*hugs*
      I have no problem when everyone explains why they don't like a character or why they think a favored character is more qualified, etc... Actually, I read the anti threads occasionally so that I can understand what the rift in fandom is about. I enjoy reading well-described opinions and I fully expect to come to this thread and read well-thought out arguments for Samantha to be the leader. Please don't think I want or expect that to stop.
      Last edited by ChillinTheMost; 27 March 2006, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
        It is not the discussion of whether he should or should not be a leader, it is the comments like the one where someone wished Daniel had waited a few more seconds and that the Black Knight had killed Mitchell. Maybe I'm different, but, yes, wishing a character were dead seems like bashing to me. That post was followed by a few others that agreed wholeheartedly that they also wish Mitchell had died.
        You're kidding???!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          It's a term coined by anti-Sam fans to make fun of us Samandans... instead of Samanda... Demanda... since we're always harping to get our way with Sam. Errrr... harping to have Sam get her way... Um... since we're very vocal about Sam being a great character!
          ah, Strix, you're on a roll today!

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
            You're kidding???!!!
            Yeah, sorry, I really didn't want to bring that back up, but I wanted to show that I do have a point that I consider bashing versus what I consider someone's well-thought out argument that they don't like the way a character is written.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
              Yeah, sorry, I really didn't want to bring that back up, but I wanted to show that I do have a point that I consider bashing versus what I consider someone's well-thought out argument that they don't like the way a character is written.
              Well... even if I didn't like the character, I'm not sure I'd wish him/her death.. that's just slightly too much. It should be a real monster to deserve something like this.

Comment

Looks like there's no Stargate Monday tonight. If you were composing your own Stargate Monday (with a theme as they've been doing) what would it be. Ok, I know it would be *Sam* but what do you think--scientist Sam, soldier Sam, etc? and what episodes would you pick for that theme?

Comment

wishing them to go away, is one thing. death another

especially since the line between character adn actor is so thin

i don't think i've ever expressed that mitch should die. if i have, let me know and i'll edit it

whack him upside the head? yeah. Course, teal'c's already done that
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                    Well... even if I didn't like the character, I'm not sure I'd wish him/her death.. that's just slightly too much. It should be a real monster to deserve something like this.
                    I agree, that's a bit kruvis? but you bring up a good point - save the horrible death wishes for the baddies!?
                    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      LOL. More than once.

Thanks for all the positive responses. It felt good to get this off my chest with folk willing to discuss things as adults. Thank you, all.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        wishing them to go away, is one thing. death another
                        Agree, it's a bash if you say it like that on a forum.

especially since the line between character adn actor is so thin
                        Disagree. I was hootin and rootin for someone to kill Tanith when watching; no way is that the same as Peter Wingfield.

i don't think i've ever expressed that mitch should die. if i have, let me know and i'll edit it

And didn't BlackCam notice!

scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          Looks like there's no Stargate Monday tonight. If you were composing your own Stargate Monday (with a theme as they've been doing) what would it be. Ok, I know it would be *Sam* but what do you think--scientist Sam, soldier Sam, etc? and what episodes would you pick for that theme?
                          a combination of scientist/soldier sam.

sentinel
                          death knell
                          spirits
                          avenger 2.0

thats just the ones that spring to mind, off the top of my head. i'm sure there are much better ones for that theme.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            The Many Faces of Sam

Singularity
                            In the Line of Duty
                            Foothold - "you are an idiot every day of the week, why couldn't you take one day off????"
                            Fail Safe - Scientist Sam whoops Anubis and his plans for galactic domination
                            Space Race: "if it happens to be oh, a little FUN, what's a girl to do?"
                            Death Knell - soldier and survivalist Sam

Okay so I picked more than four, but if I were to plan Stargate Mondays it would be a 24 hour marathon!!! There's many sam eps that I think are excellent and where I think AT shines. I picked ones that are huge for me in the development/turning points in the Sam character.
                            If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                            proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                            Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                              And didn't BlackCam notice!

"Did he just offend me?" - that was great!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                                a combination of scientist/soldier sam.

Atta girl!
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X