Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1
    I guess TPTB don't give a care about the ratings. I guess they can't put 2+2 together to see that the fans want the characters and situations to be believable As stated by many Cam fans, they didn't care if he was leading they just like the character/ actor.
    S8 had only 5/21 shows rated below 2.0, 1.7 being the lowest.
    S9 has had 13/19 shows rated below 2.0, with 1.5 being the lowest.
    I don't know maybe its just me
    But if you look at both airings' ratings combined, 8 PM and 11 PM, SG-1 was ALWAYS the first. I guess this year the networks have more interesting shows at 8 PM for casual fans and some people are still outside their homes, but they were returning to watch the episodes later at night. Let's hope TPTB are taking this into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      We'll convert you into a Demanda, yet.
      And De- stands for...?

Comment

Well, I didn't like the snarky, "Who's the backup singer?" line. For one thing, it didn't seem to be in character for Carter (who is almost always respectful to everyone around her), and it served to set the characters at potential odds from the start. Just what we didn't need. But that's just one in a long list of one-liners that I could have done without this season.
        most of s9 was nothing more than an endless parade of one liners

as was most of vala's dialogue (and cam's too)
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
          And De- stands for...?
          oh, see, we're horrible DEMANDING fans - ie Demanda - if we're not all sweet and nice and turning the other cheek and saying 'that's ok hon, as long as you're enjoying yourself' to anyone and everyone

where as, if fans of Daniel/vala/cam/etc are upset, well, that's ok because they're just nice loyal fans supporting thier favorite charcter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            I don't know so much about Beachhead... Looking back, it's like they were afraid of writing any sort of direct interaction between the two. It's a miracle they were framed in the same shot together. And why? I do not know.

But Crusade had some winners, even though Sam, Teal'c and Cameron were supposed to be looking at Daniel... It still conveyed some funny moments between Vala and Sam that could totally up the ante of this show 1000% if they just tried.
            possibly because, now that RDA is gone and they can't try to pit shippers against slashers, they'll see if they can play with the sam vs vala fans

in many eps, the writers seemed to enjoy meshing jack/daniel bits with jack/sam bits, to keep that 'love triangle' alive and a matter of debate

of course, probably more likely, they can't handle writing one female at a time, two would just be a bit too much. Especially since they can't ship them together and indulge in the ultimate adolescent (and AD's) fantasy

sigpic

Comment

And De- stands for...?
              It's a term coined by anti-Sam fans to make fun of us Samandans... instead of Samanda... Demanda... since we're always harping to get our way with Sam. Errrr... harping to have Sam get her way... Um... since we're very vocal about Sam being a great character!

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                I guess TPTB don't give a care about the ratings. I guess they can't put 2+2 together to see that the fans want the characters and situations to be believable As stated by many Cam fans, they didn't care if he was leading they just like the character/ actor.
                S8 had only 5/21 shows rated below 2.0, 1.7 being the lowest.
                S9 has had 13/19 shows rated below 2.0, with 1.5 being the lowest.
                I don't know maybe its just me
                well, prior to this year, they never really paid attention to or grouped the two sets of ratings. stargate's 'score' for a night was on its first run, not the two put together.

which suggests that, to keep thier bragging rights, they're tweaking the ratings to disguise just how much they've fallen. Networks NEVER admit that they might have done something wrong. they don't make mistakes.

And if something unexpected happens, well they just spin it to read how they want it to read

sigpic

Comment

But if you look at both airings' ratings combined, 8 PM and 11 PM, SG-1 was ALWAYS the first. I guess this year the networks have more interesting shows at 8 PM for casual fans and some people are still outside their homes, but they were returning to watch the episodes later at night. Let's hope TPTB are taking this into consideration.

We actually don't know the second airing ratings for the last number of episodes. And we can't compare season nine's second airing with SG-1's season 7 and 8's second airing of episodes. And we can't compare SG-1 to BSG at all because the second showing for BSG is so late in the evening. All we can do is compare what we do have for the seasons.

Camelot, the season finale, got a 1.9. Not great if you compare it to season 7's Lost City at 2.1 and Moebieus at 2.4. So, season 9 got 6/20 at 2.0 or 2.1. Very different that season 8, and season 9's second half is lower than season 7's second half.

IMO, TPTB have made changes that have not been good for many of the loyal fans, many of the causal fans, AND some/many of the farscape fans. Bad writing is the worst culprit--not any of the actors. The problem is---they tried a new direction, but forgot about what makes SG-1 so popular for eight seasons---meaningful character interactions (sadly probably just like the one between Vala and Sam that just got cut and some great ones with Daniel and Mitchell in Ripple Effect), and good team/balanced dynamics. And situations that make sense to the audience unlike the leadership issue. IMO, they have taken any sense of plausibility out of the show---thrown it out the window. It may work for some audiences, but not for many of the SG-1 audience.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                    On my self-assigned mission to get Carter to 400 - for anyone who has not voted, or who may be new, Carter is up to 392 in the Who Should Lead poll - I say let's get to 400 - it is only 8 more votes!! (You do not have to go into the thread to vote - the poll is at page 1.)
                    I notice that if you disregard votes for Teal'c and Daniel, Sam gets about 70% of the votes.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      oh, see, we're horrible DEMANDING fans - ie Demanda - if we're not all sweet and nice and turning the other cheek and saying 'that's ok hon, as long as you're enjoying yourself' to anyone and everyone

where as, if fans of Daniel/vala/cam/etc are upset, well, that's ok because they're just nice loyal fans supporting thier favorite charcter
                      Wow, you're not just a little bit bitter about other fan groups today, are you Sky?

*sends many virtual hugs in your direction*

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        well, prior to this year, they never really paid attention to or grouped the two sets of ratings. stargate's 'score' for a night was on its first run, not the two put together.

which suggests that, to keep thier bragging rights, they're tweaking the ratings to disguise just how much they've fallen. Networks NEVER admit that they might have done something wrong. they don't make mistakes.

And if something unexpected happens, well they just spin it to read how they want it to read

that's why I was surprised that Levine at Scifi on his blog actually mentions the lower ratings in his last two messages.

And let's just see if anyone from the show continues to talk about those high season 9 ratings. I doubt it now that the second half as been shown.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor

The frak?!!!

Crap.
                          Crap Let's hope they will include this scene into "Deleted scenes" section when season 10 is released on DVD...

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady

Here are a couple of pictures of AT & N John Smith. When AT was first introduced N John Smith came out on stage and told everyone how much AT is appreaciated and what a great job she has done over the years.

Well, GOOD. I wonder if the idea that fans feel AT has been "dissed" got through to the producers?

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                              Thanks, Tracy Jane, for responding to my little rant. I definitely feel that everyone has a right to how they feel about each character, so I don't mind that you, and others, don't care for Mitchell. I guess I just don't expect to come to the thread of another of my favorite characters and read some nasty stuff that really doesn't belong there. There are plenty of threads for Mitchell-bashing and, like you said, to debate the leadership issue. I can happily stay away from those threads. Frankly, I don't much care about the leadership issue except to say that I wish they would make whatever their final decision is clear to the audience and that, if they decide that Sam is the leader, that they give Mitchell a clearly defined role of why it would be beneficial for him to be on SG-1. --I would think all members of the flagship team would be there for a reason: to make that flagship team better.

Anyway, I imagine I'll still check in here to see what's happening with Amanda/Samantha. I'd love to know what she said about season 10. It's just a matter of how many posts I can read before I have to leave and try again another time.
                              Chillin'--this is a good reminder for those of us who aren't fans of Mitchell to watch the negativity in this thread.

Comment

Well, I didn't like the snarky, "Who's the backup singer?" line. For one thing, it didn't seem to be in character for Carter (who is almost always respectful to everyone around her), and it served to set the characters at potential odds from the start. Just what we didn't need. But that's just one in a long list of one-liners that I could have done without this season.
                                I hated this "backup singer" line too. In Beachhead it was actually Vala who showed respect towards Sam asking about her opinion.

BTW, I wonder whether anybody at the con asked Amanda, or Michael, or Beau what Claudia's baby boy name is.

Comment

Working...
                                X