Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Formerhost
    Sony Board is or rather was, because now it's definitely changed, something like this, there was Sam OR Vala issue, not both. I must admit at the beginning of season 9 being in this camp too. It took me about 7 episodes to decide that I actually like Sam (Ripple Effect was a turning point) and the idea of both of them on the team is really good idea and I'm hoping for an interesting Sam/Vala relationship in season 10.
    I agree - there is MUCH potential there. I would love to see that play out. Besides, thus far it seems to me that there's a mutual respect already there? Perhaps?
    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      I sort of resent the implication that Sam fans and AT are to blame for how they write Mitchell.
      Yeah, that's why I'm taking that whole quote with a big dollop o'salt. Anyone who thinks that could be twisting a whole lot else.

(don't mind Formerhost quoting it, though)

scarimor

Comment

Sony Board is or rather was, because now it's definitely changed, something like this, there was Sam OR Vala issue, not both. I must admit at the beginning of season 9 being in this camp too. It took me about 7 episodes to decide that I actually like Sam (Ripple Effect was a turning point) and the idea of both of them on the team is really good idea and I'm hoping for an interesting Sam/Vala relationship in season 10.
        We'll convert you into a Demanda, yet.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
          I have no problem at all with this. Discussion is what we are here for. What I have a problem with is namecalling the character and/or their respective fans, i.e. Cam's character is a this or that. Very long rants posted over and over from the same people. Rants are not discussion - they have a shrill negativity to them. Passion is great, but it needs to be communicated in a way that is consistent with a thread that is 'hic comitas regit'. One thing I keep in mind when I post - even on the anti-types of threads - is whether or not people who don't agree will still want to read what I write? Will they laugh, will they think, or will they come away with a bad taste in their mouth? All we are saying is keep it hic comitas regit.
          This is really difficult especially if you really do not like the characters. The people who are posting long posts - what you call rants - may be trying get across a logical argument and listing points that have led them to this conclusion. These points may be reinforced after every ep - which may lead to repetition.

I think everyone agrees it is a writer problem. I think Cameron could be a great character. If the producers let Vala cover her cleavage and the writers gave her some more lines that didn't revolve around sexual innuendo her character too has potential.

TDOS Says it well that LT fans of Sam/AT are likely to be disgruntled at the goings on in SG1. I don't think the series needed these 2 characters It just needed a great 4th team member for SG1. I wanted Teal'c to have a bigger more inclusive role in SG1 - so our fave characters have been sidelined. I for one would prefer them to be sidelined by really good characters, Their addition to SG1 is more annoying to me because they are not (IMO). Thus I now am not interested in the show only season 1 to 8

You can't be kind to a character you don't like, but hopefully we can be respectful. In a way if people are listing long posts about things they dislike about the character - hopefully this is better and more respectful than making a trite remark - like I'm afraid I did a few posts back.

Does this make sense??

Comment

Perhaps some of the writers are fans themselves at the same time, which actually is not good thing at all in this case, and they just are too afraid or don't want to write clear leadership, giving us this ... well.... crap.

The writers should be fans of Sam Carter (this does not mean, therefore not fans of Mitchell). Why wouldn't they be after nine years. They should feel awkward about having Sam co-lead with Mitchell. It is awkward. Even avid Sam-haters for several years are astonishingly admitting that Sam should have remained the sole leader.

I really think most Farscape fans would have been just fine with Mitchell as a Major, as long as he had an interesting role to play. Now it is just a mess. I agree with Strix. It's all about gender bias of the networks and maybe also TPTB in general. They just couldn't conceive of a woman to lead SG-1 in any substantial way. Too bad, because I think the writing and the ratings would have been so much better. They tried to fix something that wasn't broke.

What is more frustrating is that BB comes in as the "leader" of SG-1, but it isn't written well or in any believable way. BB is hurt more by this than if Mitchelll would have joined SG-1 as a member of the team.

Can't wait to hear what tsaxlady, Kat, SunKrux (sorry that is not spelled correctly!), Lida and MajorSam and others have to say about AT's reaction to the leadership issue.

ChillinTheMost---I understand what you are saying, and I think alot of us here are trying to walk that fine line about our discussion of Mitchell. There have been positives said, and I think many of us wanted to see him well written, but I don't think he has been in the least. I hate that because I like BB and he seems like a really great person.

But I also want to feel like we can express our reactions to the characters that affect Sam. Similar to Spaz, I want to feel that this is a place for this (among many other things ), but yes I don't want it to be constant bashing (which I don't think it has been in general---mainly it has been criticism of some poor writing).

And Sky, I see what what you are saying. It's funny, but I really haven't noticed much Sam bashing at all in other threads. In fact, I've felt like those who really like Vala here on GW and who have stayed around also like Sam, which is refreshing. I'm also impressed by different fans' views expressed on the infamous, Who Should Lead SG-1 thread. I must be missing these threads you are referring to.
            Last edited by chocdoc; 27 March 2006, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              and on the other side of the board, there are a HUGE group of fans of ben and claudia and their characters that bash and red rep and rag on and witch at and moan and complain that we, the folks that have been here for years - years when many of those very same folks were blaming stargate for farscape getting canned - are bad and non-fans and should jsut go away so that they, the 'new generation' of fans can take over this board and have it all to themselves....and anyone that doesn't think the newest incarnation of the show isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread can just jump off a cliff.

As someone who's been watching this show for years, it irks me to no end to have newbies come here and try to run me off so that they can move in and take the place over because, you see, it's now THEIR show since their actors have come in to save it

A slight exaggeration in some cases, but not in all of them.

new blood is good for the continued existence of any group or forum (i think many of us can agree that new blood could only do good for the writers of the show who seem to be too deeply entrenched in their own private little world)

however, it would be nice if some of these new folks would recognize and accept that they're playing on what was OUR turf back in the days when stargate was beneath thier contempt and not good enough to watch

It's hard to be welcoming and nice to the new kids on the block when they keep stealing your toys and trampling on your grass
              As usual, I agree with you Sky, and I understand your frustation. I don't think I could be considered an elder, simply because I started watching too late in the game. At the same time, I can't stand it when noobs come onto the scene and presume to know what they're talking about, or assume that their meager experience is worthy of red-repping everyone who disagrees with them.

But at the same time, there are fans of other characters currently on SG-1 who justify their bashing of certain other characters by saying that it's happened to them. They belittle fans of the enemy character, because they've had bad experiences with other fans of the same persuasion. No one gives anyone a chance. We will all get screwed by other people in the long run, because certain fans are idiots. Plain and simple. But how do we keep ourselves from paying it forward to other unsuspecting fans of Cam and Vala, when all they want to do is join us in discussing how cool Amanda Tapping and Sam Carter are?

The common ground scenario has to work both ways. In a perfect world, we could purge the ones who are so enamored with their fave characters that they're incapable of seeing reason. This goes for certain fans of all characters, I think.

I will never stop ragging on the studio or the network, or any of TPTB who think that what they've developed is the New Legacy of SG-1. And there are certain fans out there whom I have no issues with mocking. The thing is... the sooner all of the fans realize that the issues we're currently facing are studio/network-driven, the sooner threads like SaGC can maintain its original motto again. Hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                And, before I log out, I've got one more thing to (hypocritically) whinge about...

The Sam/Vala scene being cut out.

That's all I need to know about next season to know that it's gonna suck. Yes, someone can cry "premature" all they want. As it stands, ESPECIALLY considering Mallozzi hinted at it last fall, it would seem that there is probably NO justification for cutting it. Of course... five months from now, it could all be quite clear. I'm not sure. But if they've already cut a scene that could be considered "interesting" and features Vala and Sam, and said scene is only within the first five or six episodes, that's a problem. Why wait to have that kind of insightful and in-depth stuff between two characters who are surrounded by fandom controversy, unless you don't really find their interaction much of a priority?
                I've already asked Ivon Bortok in his blog here about the possibility to include this scene in season 10 DVD release. I REALLY WANT to see it. Their decision to cut characters interaction scenes is really, really stupid. It would never happen on Farscape...

Comment

That's good to hear!

I have seen Sony lately to see if it had changed, and it is much better than it used to be. Still some Sam-bashing, but not nearly as much, and more and more there seems to be fans for every character---so much more balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                    For one thing, I still think the writers are afraid of picking a side for fear of fan fallout. I know some disagree with that theory, but it just doesn't make any sense for them to NOT take a side on this issue. They have a history of being wishy-washy, waffling, making/breaking "promises," etc.... All for the sake of keeping everyone waiting with baited breath for what they've been waiting for all of this time, whether it's a conclusion of the ship issue or the command issue.

See? I knew if I started, I wouldn't be able to stop...
                    i see this along the line of Orlin

when we were watching it the question was 'what would his fate be'

the universal concensus.....something 'happy' cause they don't have the _____ to kill him

these boys do not take chances. they consistently play it safe, even if playing it safe is a disservice to the characters

That's one thing that makes BSG to appealing to some, Ron Moore does take chances...and those chances makes it unpredictible which makes it interesting.

Since stargate is now in the era of the endless quest for better toys to kill the bad guys, where's the suspense in that? We're no longer intrepid explorers pitting ourselves against a foe, we're treasure hunters looking to find the keys to daddy's caddy so that we can go for a joy ride
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                      I agree - there is MUCH potential there. I would love to see that play out. Besides, thus far it seems to me that there's a mutual respect already there? Perhaps?
                      Between Sam and Vala? Definitely. It was visible in Beachhead and in Crusade.

Comment

Here there is something I've found just a several minutes ago at Our Stargate board:

"Amanda Tapping was asked why Sam wasn't in charge of SG-1 and she gave quite a funny answer about "Yeah! Why isn't she?!" and she kept making funny faces saying "But I'm not bitter." It was pretty funny. But one thing I did notice was that she *did* say that Mitchell *was* definitely "in charge" and ostensibly the leader -- and she said she supposed it was because he was the one who came in and "got the band back together." N. John Smith, I think it was, also commented about Mitchell being the "leader" and in command of SG-1 (although that I'm not sure about). Beau Bridges definitely talked about Mitchell being in command of SG-1.

Amanda, as I said, talked about it at length. SHe did say there was some conversation about it that happens where Mitchell is saying that he can't really "presume" to give Carter orders because they are the same rank (huh?!? Since when in the military did being the same rank matter -- your CO is still your CO!), and he can't give orders to Teal'c and that he wouldn't presume to tell Daniel what to do. So I suppose they are going to continue along the course of simply allowing Mitchell's character to be a totally useless leader with no teeth to him, from the sounds of things because they are so afraid of "offending" Amanda Tapping and/or her fans."
                        I guess TPTB don't give a care about the ratings. I guess they can't put 2+2 together to see that the fans want the characters and situations to be believable As stated by many Cam fans, they didn't care if he was leading they just like the character/ actor.
                        S8 had only 5/21 shows rated below 2.0, 1.7 being the lowest.
                        S9 has had 13/19 shows rated below 2.0, with 1.5 being the lowest.
                        I don't know maybe its just me
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                          That's good to hear!

I have seen Sony lately to see if it had changed, and it is much better than it used to be. Still some Sam-bashing, but not nearly as much, and more and more there seems to be fans for every character---so much more balanced.
                          And the look of Sony Board is completely different now too, they've changed it last weekend

Comment

I don't know so much about Beachhead... Looking back, it's like they were afraid of writing any sort of direct interaction between the two. It's a miracle they were framed in the same shot together. And why? I do not know.

But Crusade had some winners, even though Sam, Teal'c and Cameron were supposed to be looking at Daniel... It still conveyed some funny moments between Vala and Sam that could totally up the ante of this show 1000% if they just tried.

Comment

Well, I didn't like the snarky, "Who's the backup singer?" line. For one thing, it didn't seem to be in character for Carter (who is almost always respectful to everyone around her), and it served to set the characters at potential odds from the start. Just what we didn't need. But that's just one in a long list of one-liners that I could have done without this season.

My LJ

Comment

The Sam/Vala scene being cut out.

The frak?!!!

Crap.
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X