Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfbooy
    Ok, so the whole Narim thing got me thinking. And that's never a good thing. So later, when you're all looking for someone to blame for hooking up the jumper cables to my normally sedentary noggin, blame whoever brought up Narim. I'm not responsible.

Anyway, I started thinking about why I never was able to believe that Narim or Martouf were serious, viable romantic interests for Carter. Because I think they were supposed to be, especially Martouf. But for some reason, I was never able to buy into it all. Often times I'd be groaning or laughing out loud instead of finding their advances "sweet" or "charming". And here's why. Aside from both Garwin Sanford and JR Bourne playing their characters as exceptionally passive, I think Martouf and Narim were both too indoctrinated into their respective cultures. Narim bought into the idea of "the Tollan" so completely that he wound up coming across as too naive and homely for Sam. Martouf fell into the same trap. He was a Tok'ra, through and through. And, when it boils down to it, he was a pretty unremarkable Tok'ra at that. Martouf believed that the Tok'ra had all the answers, that Earth in general and Sam in particular were constantly headed for destruction simply because they dared to venture forth and because they dared to risk their lives for others instead of cutting out and running when things got tough. Neither Sam (nor any of SG-1 for that matter) buys into the whole idea of Earth or the SGC so blindly that they stop thinking for themselves. Both Narim and Martouf are patsies for their respective cultures. They're part of the collective, they're upstanding members of society. They're normal, they're commonplace. There's absolutely nothing remarkable about them.

i also think part of the problem (for me) is that... i think that sam (and amanda) are just absolutely stunning, so why do they keep partnering her up with bland guys? i think that's part of the reason i didn't like sela ward playing opposite hugh laurie (this is from the show 'house'), because sela is gorgeous. she clearly (again to me) out thunked him.

i know this is *very* superficial, but the entertainment industry 'is' about looks. i think that's why amanda being paired off with rda worked so good for me. before stargate, i wasn't really much of a fan of rda's, but when he was on sg1 (with different hair and more muscle and just older i guess), i fell for him. but anyway, rda very, VERY much compliments amanda's looks. she's tall for a female, so having a much taller male i feel is needed. and then rda has this smoldering sexiness to him... *stops to drool and groan* and he has his *own* personality and IT, which is how i see amanda too. i think the secret to great pairings in movies/tv is when each half of the pairing is great and special on their own. (think fred astaire and ginger rogers. *great* together, but equally great 'and' successful on their own)

*tries to remember what her point of this post was*

oh, that amanda outshines (rda excluded) ALL the guys they've semi shipped her with!!

sally
    Last edited by majorsal; 23 March 2006, 07:01 PM.
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
      I'm struck a little dumb (ok, dumber) that so many here liked Narim. For me, he's always going to be remembered as one of the most fantastically emasculated characters I've seen on TV. I have to really, really, really work to contain my laughter all throughout Enigma. Each time Omoc is mentioned or seen, I always get the strongest "shh, Omoc beats me" vibe from Narim. Meh, obviously I'm in the minority here. But when they threw in the whole "my house talks to me in your voice, it's just like you're doing whatever I want, but don't worry, I'm not a wee bit obsessed or anything," bit in Between Two Fires my averse reaction to the character was set in stone.

My negative opinion of Narim aside, I do think the way Sam handles Narim is great for Carter. Well, maybe not so much in Enigma, but certainly in the latter two episodes. In Enigma I can't shake the fact that they reduce her so clearly to the typical female character, there just to be wooed by the guest star of the week. Pretense and Between Two Fires both show her as having such a firm grasp upon the whole situation. She clearly handles Narim in those episodes, never letting his feelings for her drive what she does. And, finally seeing the Tollan get their comeuppence had been five years in the making. That was great.

I just never cared for the way the Garwin Sanford played him. I can't help but see him as either a seedy kidnapper or a South American revolutionary with a bad make-up job and terrible accent.

Golfbooy (who watched MacGyver as a kid)
      I agree with you - I did not like Narim at all. The interview with GS and the focus on the kiss and being in love with Carter, (not to metion AT), etc., once again reduces the character to a place I think is demeaning considering everything else she has going for her - this interview snippet and its focus, sorry to say, gets my knickers in a twist almost as bad as that crapppola with Martouf in RE - there are soo many strong, intelligent aspects to the character and this is what it always seems to come down to whenever any of the "men" who have been in the show, or involved in the show, talk about Carter. I think it stinks. Sorry for the rant but I am sick of this aspect being played to the hilt. Plus I thought the character was creepy anyway (if I really thought about it I'd put him right up there in the lower-than-low category that twit from that horrible aspect of S7 and S8 is in).

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        i also think part of the problem (for me) is that... i think that sam (and amanda) are just absolutely stunning, so why do they keep partnering her up with bland guys? i think that's part of the reason i didn't like sela ward playing opposite huge laurie (this is from the show 'house'), because sela is gorgeous. she clearly (again to me) out thunked him.

i know this is *very* superficial, but the entertainment industry 'is' about looks. i think that's why amanda being paired off with rda worked so good for me. before stargate, i wasn't really much of a fan of rda's, but when he was on sg1 (with different hair and more muscle and just older i guess), i fell for him. but anyway, rda very, VERY much compliments amanda's looks. she's tall for a female, so having a much taller male i feel is needed. and then rda has this smoldering sexiness to him... *stops to drool and groan* and he has his *own* personality and IT, which is how i see amanda too. i think the secret to great pairings in movies/tv is when each half of the pairing is great and special on their own. (think fred astaire and ginger rogers. *great* together, but equally great 'and' successful on their own)

*tries to remember what her point of this post was*

oh, that amanda outshines (rda excluded) ALL the guys they've semi shipped her with!!

sally
        its possible that the reason for a lot of this is that the industry is largely male dominated, and that they want to see attractive women with ordinary looking guys. look at any woody allen film. he always gets the hot girl. they care more about what the girl looks like, because they want to look at her. they care more about what the guy does, because they either have him as a representative or extention of themselves and want to believe that they can get that girl, or they want the guy to be just plain cool.

it is (or at least was) different on sg, because RDA was and exec as well as the star. and there are women out there who did find narim, martouf, pete and whoever attractive, i'm not one of them, so maybe i'm wrong, and its just that they are attractive, just not to us.

Comment

Well apparently
          Spoiler:
          they all watched Starship Troopers CG (did everyone remember to laugh at that joke?!)....

Persoanlly I like to think Sam would have been sitting in her corner of the lounge txting Jack all night...

[Yes sir, seriously, the movie is about 6ft bugs]
          [I wouldn't say good]
          [when where?]
          [call me]

Sam's phone rings and she hangs up and looks at them apologetically.

"Uh, I gotta go. Area 51 thing."

"Always with the emergencies!" Cam says.

Carter looks sheepish.
          "Yeah, you'd think. Um, Daniel, Teal'c, we actually need you guys too. Ancient Goa'uld thing." She shrugs.

Teal'c and Daniel exchange glances and grab their jackets.

Sam dials her cell as SG-1 gets outside the door and puts the phone to her ear.
          "Ok, we're ready"

"Bar with Jack?" Daniel asks as Sam hangs up.

She grins.
          "Yep."

"This one got a pool table?"

Sam's grin widens into a megawatt-smile as they disappear in a beam of white light.

Cam eats what's left of Teal'c popcorn in the now empty lounge room as Starship Troopers gets to the good bit.

[end]

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Ah yes, the land of the red meat ... however, I seem to recall eating Japanese sushi in Des Moines and then enjoying a "pick-out-your-own-steak" indoor barbecue about 45 miles farther east. The best of both worlds!

To get back OT, I loved that scene in O'Malley's with Jack, Danny, and Sam. She looked so hot in the red and black, playing pool (making her own trick shots), and ordering her steak and diet coke. Wasn't that a fun episode!

Also, the episode where she, Daniel and T, end up in Jack's living room drinking beer and then Hammond joining them. Lost City, right? How great it would have been to have had a warm, character-bonding scene like that somewhere in the vast wasteland of S9. Sigh ....
          Last edited by Myrth; 23 March 2006, 06:13 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

i thought that sam was both uncomfortable and amused/flattered with narim's house's voice (and i hope that the strangest phrase i issue today). she did ask him to get rid of it.

(and he still reminds me of frank from MASH)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              yep. nice big, thick, juicy steak

she had hers with fries, the boys had baked potato

there's another comfort food, fries with cream gravy
              Warm apple crisp with a nice big scoop of vanilla (who says vanilla is boring?) ice cream. <g> Having some now. Leftover from yesterday.
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                Geez, yes. Great team moments--we deparately need these kind of moments.

You know, I really wished they had used RDA's very limited appearances in the show in a much different way in season 9. Instead of the scene with Mitchell alone and then later with Daniel alone, I wished we could have had two scenes with the original team together (this would mean bringing Jack back later in the season when Sam was around instead of the beginning). Have a scene where Jack tells Sam, Daniel and Teal'c how he's doing as head of Homeworld Security (so that the audience knows where he is!), and then have Jack talk to his team about how he feels he has to stay in this position, but that he knows SG-1 will do well. He gives his nod to Sam as continued leader of SG-1, and then tells them his opinion of Major Mitchell--that he's a bit of a hothead, but he's a good guy, competent, even if a bit rash. He's enthusiastic and a great pilot. He tells Sam, Daniel and Teal'c that he thinks Mitchell will be a good member of their team, and will be an asset in their fight against the Ori. And then at the end of the scene it is clear that Jack is in regular contact with them.

Dream on. My opinion? The ratings would have been a lot higher in season 9.

As Data would say, "Indubidibly."

Or Teal'c:

Suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  I don't know that she projected creeped though.

If she felt it (which she very well might have), she hid it well enough behind her amusement. Her expressions and posture certainly communicated amusement more than anything else.

that's how i took it too.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Also, the episode where she, Daniel and T, end up in Jack's living room drinking beer and then Hammond joining them. Lost City, right? How great it would have been to have had a warm, character-bonding scene like that somewhere in the vast wasteland of S9. Sigh ....
                    i don't know if i could accept it with mitchell being in the mix. they didn't just add his character to the team, they've made him the LEADER (not just team leader)... i find that insulting to daniel and teal'c too, not just sam.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

The Sunday brunch is going to be awesome: Amanda and CJ and JR Bourne and, cripes, I forgot - is it Jonas, Corin Nemec? Ouch, look a few pages back - anyhow, should be a lot of fun. And then Amanda is doing a Q&A later on Sunday.

Did MS and LD have their baby yet? We know that CB had a boy in December. What's the latest on the stork set?

oh, if jr (martouf) is going to be there, maybe someone can ask one of them (preferably amanda) what was up with that almost kiss between sam and martouf in ripple effect.

i got to meet amanda at a con (in san diego's 'comic con') before all heck broke loose in season 7, so that's prob the last i'll ever be a part of fandom to that extent. but i hope everyone else has a blast. and report your findings!

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                        I agree with you - I did not like Narim at all. The interview with GS and the focus on the kiss and being in love with Carter, (not to metion AT), etc., once again reduces the character to a place I think is demeaning considering everything else she has going for her - this interview snippet and its focus, sorry to say, gets my knickers in a twist almost as bad as that crapppola with Martouf in RE - there are soo many strong, intelligent aspects to the character and this is what it always seems to come down to whenever any of the "men" who have been in the show, or involved in the show, talk about Carter. I think it stinks. Sorry for the rant but I am sick of this aspect being played to the hilt. Plus I thought the character was creepy anyway (if I really thought about it I'd put him right up there in the lower-than-low category that twit from that horrible aspect of S7 and S8 is in).
                        i agree.

hook sam and jack up on the show *now* and all that sam/other/admirer stuff would end! it would also be a natural progression for both sam and jack (going from Threads on).

argh, i sure repeat myself a lot.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                          I'd say rock climbing gives you the ultimate adrenaline rush, though mountainbiking has its moments - especially when you are being propelled head first over the handlebars!! 1speed knows all about that feeling
                          Oh? *raises eyebrow*
                          I thought that was the RA's patented dismount.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Someone else is having a birthday too ...

HAIKU FOR OLIVIA ON HER FIRST BIRTHDAY

You are one year old
                            Sweet baby long awaited
                            Apple of mum’s eye

Bursting on the scene
                            Fulfilling your mother’s dream
                            Kawoosh “I am here”

Happiness abounds
                            You inherit much from her
                            Beauty, charm and grace

She will teach you well
                            How to be a strong woman
                            How to give, be kind

Most of all the joy
                            Which your mum shares with others
                            Shall seep into you

Humor is the key
                            Apple falls not far from tree
                            Laugh and shine like mum

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LITTLE ONE!

I wrote this for Kamil for his group presentation to Amanda on Olivia's birthday but thought our Samandans would enjoy it too.
                            Beautiful Jester! Bravo.
                            And while it's a little late, I too would like to say a very very Happy birthday to both girls born on the 22nd of March. Happy birthday Olivia, and happy birthday to Lys, who is one of the kindest and sweetest posters I've ever known. I hope your day was wonderful .

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                              (raises her hand)I signed up for a photo with Thor.....and Amanda, of course. Now, if I could just get one of Amanda and Thor......naw, he'd never go for it!

On the more serious side, if anyone of you are already in Burnaby/Vancouver or live in Canada, do you know of a store where I could purchase protein drinks? I have to have at least one a day, and I'm going nuts trying to pack them. Thanx! Back to packing. (YUCK!)
                              Lida, are the protein drinks the kind that come in tins? I had to have those when I was in hospital and for months after a few years ago. If so, I sympathise with you, as the required quantity of tins would weigh your luggage down a ton. I hope you find somewhere to buy over there.

I am glad to hear that you're going though. I'm so glad Mac is ok. That must be such a relief to you, especially seeing as you have so much weighing on your mind already.

I hope everyone has a safe journey, and HAVE FUN WHEN YOU GET THERE!!!!!!!!!!!

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

The Sunday brunch is going to be awesome: Amanda and CJ and JR Bourne and, cripes, I forgot - is it Jonas, Corin Nemec? Ouch, look a few pages back - anyhow, should be a lot of fun. And then Amanda is doing a Q&A later on Sunday.

Did MS and LD have their baby yet? We know that CB had a boy in December. What's the latest on the stork set?
                                The Brunch on Sunday will be Amanda, Cliff Simon & JR Bourne. CJ canceled his appearance this week.

Brunch starts at 7:45 am (I don't call that Brunch I call it breakfast)

Photo ops with Amanda 10:00 - 11:30

1:30 Amanda on stage

2:25 Autographs with Amanda
                                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X