Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    The scary question you have to ask yourself is ... if houses actually did that for us in this day and age, how many SAmandans would have that particular voice in THEIR homes?! LOL!
    nope. Gilbert Gottfried!!!

Comment

does anyone else have difficulty seeing narim (or simon in atlantis) in stargate because he reminds them of frank from MASH? no? just me then.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        I thought it was a very romantic scene.

I thought so too, jckfan55. I like all the scenes with Narim. I didn't expect nor want anything to come of it---I just liked how AT and the actor who played Narim played out their scenes. Very sweet.

Comment

I'm struck a little dumb (ok, dumber) that so many here liked Narim. For me, he's always going to be remembered as one of the most fantastically emasculated characters I've seen on TV. I have to really, really, really work to contain my laughter all throughout Enigma. Each time Omoc is mentioned or seen, I always get the strongest "shh, Omoc beats me" vibe from Narim. Meh, obviously I'm in the minority here. But when they threw in the whole "my house talks to me in your voice, it's just like you're doing whatever I want, but don't worry, I'm not a wee bit obsessed or anything," bit in Between Two Fires my averse reaction to the character was set in stone.

My negative opinion of Narim aside, I do think the way Sam handles Narim is great for Carter. Well, maybe not so much in Enigma, but certainly in the latter two episodes. In Enigma I can't shake the fact that they reduce her so clearly to the typical female character, there just to be wooed by the guest star of the week. Pretense and Between Two Fires both show her as having such a firm grasp upon the whole situation. She clearly handles Narim in those episodes, never letting his feelings for her drive what she does. And, finally seeing the Tollan get their comeuppence had been five years in the making. That was great.

I just never cared for the way the Garwin Sanford played him. I can't help but see him as either a seedy kidnapper or a South American revolutionary with a bad make-up job and terrible accent.

Golfbooy (who watched MacGyver as a kid)
          Last edited by golfbooy; 23 March 2006, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
            does anyone else have difficulty seeing narim (or simon in atlantis) in stargate because he reminds them of frank from MASH? no? just me then.
            Yep its just you
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I was watching "The Fifth Man" today, and was wondering; did anyone fear that Hammond would have Sam shot
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                I'm struck a little dumb (ok, dumber) that so many here liked Narim. For me, he's always going to be remembered as one of the most fantastically emasculated characters I've seen on TV. I have to really, really, really work to contain my laughter all throughout Enigma. Each time Omoc is mentioned or seen, I always get the strongest "shh, Omoc beats me" vibe from Narim. Meh, obviously I'm in the minority here.
                Oh I'm with you. He was a wimp.
                scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                  I was watching "The Fifth Man" today, and was wondering; did anyone fear that Hammond would have Sam shot

I did think he was going to personally haul her ass to the stockade at one point.
                  scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    In real life, Amanda loves sushi! I think Sam would too.
                    one little quibble about that...this is the midwest, so is colorado...sushi ain't easy to come by
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Jack: Thor...so what's with the speedo?
                      Thor: Is this not the proper attire for the SGC Volleyball team?
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Ok, so the whole Narim thing got me thinking. And that's never a good thing. So later, when you're all looking for someone to blame for hooking up the jumper cables to my normally sedentary noggin, blame whoever brought up Narim. I'm not responsible.

Anyway, I started thinking about why I never was able to believe that Narim or Martouf were serious, viable romantic interests for Carter. Because I think they were supposed to be, especially Martouf. But for some reason, I was never able to buy into it all. Often times I'd be groaning or laughing out loud instead of finding their advances "sweet" or "charming". And here's why. Aside from both Garwin Sanford and JR Bourne playing their characters as exceptionally passive, I think Martouf and Narim were both too indoctrinated into their respective cultures. Narim bought into the idea of "the Tollan" so completely that he wound up coming across as too naive and homely for Sam. Martouf fell into the same trap. He was a Tok'ra, through and through. And, when it boils down to it, he was a pretty unremarkable Tok'ra at that. Martouf believed that the Tok'ra had all the answers, that Earth in general and Sam in particular were constantly headed for destruction simply because they dared to venture forth and because they dared to risk their lives for others instead of cutting out and running when things got tough. Neither Sam (nor any of SG-1 for that matter) buys into the whole idea of Earth or the SGC so blindly that they stop thinking for themselves. Both Narim and Martouf are patsies for their respective cultures. They're part of the collective, they're upstanding members of society. They're normal, they're commonplace. There's absolutely nothing remarkable about them.

I think that both characters, despite their declarations otherwise, never saw Sam as who she really is. Narim only saw his ideal, the most exotically stunning woman he could imagine. Martouf, I think, only ever saw Jolinar. Sorry, but that "you remind me of my dead wife" vibe is just too much a part of his attraction to Sam. In either case, I don't see Sam as really being attracted to either one of them. Carter has way too much of an edge to her character to be happy with either one of them. I can't believe that the same woman who found Jonas Hanson charming, the same woman who fell hard for Jack O'neill, ever really thought that Narim or Martouf was her kind of guy. I feel like if they ever saw Sam actually riding her bike, they'd both run at breakneck speeds to hurry her off such a dangerous contraption. I feel like the woman who felt so strongly that she couldn't leave Cassandra behind or bucked authority in order to save earth in Serpent's Grasp or risked letting Fifth into her mind in order to facillitate SG-1's escape would scare both Narim and Martouf to death. And I think that that single facet to both their personalities would put Sam off of them so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

Pfft, this could all just be me. I'll cut it off there. My battery is dead again. Back to mindlessly following my peers. Just like Narim and Martouf. Yep, that's what I'll do. Or maybe I'll go check out the Who Should Lead thread. That thing is a champ that won't go down. Everytime I think the bout is over someone comes to scratch. That thread has got legs, I tell you. Legs.
                        Last edited by golfbooy; 23 March 2006, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I was just checking out the Spacy Awards (Canadian Scifi type of awards)at www.spacecast.com
                          It's funny they don't have categories for leading male or female star this year, what they do have fav. ensemble cast ( for Stargate it's S9 cast) and they have fav newcomer award in which both Cam and Vala are in (I voted for the Lost star)

For the last few years RDA won for Fav leading man, this year you can't vote for AT as leading woman unless you include BB in the mix

And I thought it was just the SciFi network
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                            My eyes, my eyes! Whoa, this pic is so wrong but soooo funny!

As far as the sushi thing goes, I think if anyone could figure out a way to get some of it in the midwest, Sam could!

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Is that you in red?!
                              I wish, honey, I wish. Unfortunately I don't look that good Pics will be coming soon, though, seeing as Spazzy is making me. Be afraid, be very afraid.

On a different topic, I've just come home from my French class (at 1.45am, yes, I know) and have spent the night experimenting with Samandan cocktails. The names are tentative, but there are two....

1: Carter's Kawoosh
                              1 Blue WKD
                              1 shot Archers
                              2 shots vodka
                              Topped with lemonade

2. Amanda's Orange Delight
                              1 shot Tia Maria
                              1 shot Malibu
                              1 shot vodka
                              Topped up with orange juice

These are best served in a pint glass, unless you want to suffer severe alcohol poisoning. I hope these are right... my friends and I tried many, many variations on the themes. I wanted one orange and one blue, for obvious reasons. Enjoy
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                one little quibble about that...this is the midwest, so is colorado...sushi ain't easy to come by
                                I saw a news blurb just today about WalMart now offering upscale foods, including, you guessed it, sushi. So sushi might even be coming to a midwest WalMart near you. The reporter who tried it said it was fresh and good. I think I'll reserve judgement.

NC

Comment

Working...
                                X