Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    I like the Sam/Teal'c friendship too, partially because it developed so gradually. I think that he was a bit wary of her at first - I remember him referring to her as 'Doctor Carter' in the earliest episodes, before he started using her military title, but then again, female Jaffa soldiers are few and far between.

Sam earned Teal’c respect and trust and he earned hers.

I liked the way they started to interact as fellow soldiers, teammates and as friends and the way that it always felt natural. It was never forced.

I can definitely see Teal'c being the one Sam would confide in after her experience with Jolinar, and I agree that Jack wouldn't have been the right person to talk to, or Daniel, especially given Jolinar's offer to tell him Sha're's whereabouts - I wonder if she really knew.

out of all the sam-teal'c scenes i've seen over the years, i think my fave is...

from the first ep, 'children of the gods'. it's at the end, just after everyone comes through the gate. all the soldiers see teal'c (an alien!) and immediately raise their guns to fire. *sam* stops them and then... i love this part sam comes up to teal'c, and he relinquishes his staff weapon to her. it was not only a sign of 'you can trust me, humans of earth', but a sign of respect towards sam. their entire exchange in that scene was great!

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

we'll rule the place
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        i think that is another bond that they have. i also think that, in many cases, sam is the only one that can 'get to' teal'c. there are times wheni think that she'll be the only one who can ask him certain questions and he'll answer her instead of brushing her off like he would jack or daniel

agreed!

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
          Didn't Amanda say (with a nod towards Robert C Cooper) that there would be a phone call between Sam and Jack in Season 9? Uh, I may have been watching another show because I don't remember seeing any phone call. Or did they mean the call from Jack to Landry about Sam's return being "the phone call?"
          i thought amanda meant that phone call stuff would be 'off screen'.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            i thought amanda meant that phone call stuff would be 'off screen'.

sally
            Darn there goes that shipper again
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I know I'm late to the party here, but I figured I'd lob my own rusty tuppence in anyway.

First, let me just say that I, like the rest of you, totally covet the Carter/Teal'c relationship on the show. Despite the egregiously miniscule screentime that it gets, I still think it's one of the best, most appealing dynamics the writers have at their disposal. Now if they would just realize that, I'd be a lot more impressed with their efforts. I think that of all the relationships that exist between the members of SG-1, Carter's and Tealc's is the one that is most benefited by the obvious affection that AT and CJ have for each other. I think SG-1 as a team and as a show worked, primarily, because the four leads did get on so well from the beginning. As I said before, AT and CJ don't get much screentime with which to demonstrate Carter's and Teal'c's relationship. However, they do exceptional work with the little they're given, and I think that's because AT and CJ are able to inject much of their own relationship into the characters.

That being said, I don't really see Carter confiding in Teal'c following her experience with Jolinar. It's not that I think their not friends or anything, it's just that I don't think that the whole "confiding" thing is Carter. I don't think that Sam talked to anyone about Jolinar. And I don't think that anyone came and sought her out either. Even in Paradise Lost, Sam wasn't looking to share her despair with anyone. That Teal'c then, six years into their friendship, felt that he should and could seek her out is, for me, the reason why the later seasons of SG-1 are the best. A year later, in Heroes, Carter, Teal'c, and even Jack demonstrate no second thoughts in seeking comfort from each other and helping each other to deal with their grief. At that point, the members of SG-1 know that they're the most important people in each other's lives. The character moments in the later seasons are so meaningful and filled with such impressively depicted depth that I can't help but consider them to be the best.

For me, the members of SG-1 all started out as incredibly independent. Prior to being on SG-1 and for various reasons, I see all of them as being very closed, shut off people. And I think they were like that for a long time. I see their gradual and ever-increasing shared experiences as a huge catalyst for growth in all of them. Perhaps my favorite thing about SG-1 is that being together and working with each other makes the four members of SG-1 better people. I think that their evolution into the incredibly close, tight-knit family we all see them as is the very best element of the show. It's the one thing I think the writers, actors, directors, whoever, got entirely right.

Sorry to say, it's also the reason new characters have failed to work on SG-1. I don't think I can believe that new characters could ever, ever be as important to O'neill, Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c as they are to each other. Those four people have been through too much together. Whenever any two orginal members of SG-1 are together along with a new member, I always see the new guy as on the outside looking in. And I'm not sure the writers are ever going to be capable of portraying it otherwise because I think they can't help but see the same thing I do.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                snip
                That being said, I don't really see Carter confiding in Teal'c following her experience with Jolinar. It's not that I think their not friends or anything, it's just that I don't think that the whole "confiding" thing is Carter. I don't think that Sam talked to anyone about Jolinar. And I don't think that anyone came and sought her out either. Even in Paradise Lost, Sam wasn't looking to share her despair with anyone. That Teal'c then, six years into their friendship, felt that he should and could seek her out is, for me, the reason why the later seasons of SG-1 are the best. A year later, in Heroes, Carter, Teal'c, and even Jack demonstrate no second thoughts in seeking comfort from each other and helping each other to deal with their grief. At that point, the members of SG-1 know that they're the most important people in each other's lives. The character moments in the later seasons are so meaningful and filled with such impressively depicted depth that I can't help but consider them to be the best.

snip
                Sorry to say, it's also the reason new characters have failed to work on SG-1. I don't think I can believe that new characters could ever, ever be as important to O'neill, Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c as they are to each other. Those four people have been through too much together. Whenever any two orginal members of SG-1 are together along with a new member, I always see the new guy as on the outside looking in. And I'm not sure the writers are ever going to be capable of portraying it otherwise because I think they can't help but see the same thing I do.
                I think the only character that fit in with SG1 and was welcomed was Janet. Eventhough she wasn't a part of the team, she was a friend to all of them. I don't think anyone saw her as an outsider. It's too bad they killed her off because no other character could fill her shoes or show the bonds she had with them. I do think though that Sam would have talked to Janet about Jolinar, not right away but after a while I think she would.
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                  I think that's true. I don't think that they intentionally shut anybody out - in fact, they went out of their way to include both Jonas and Cameron - but there will always be some distance there, and deep down that person will never truly be a part of their family.

To be honest, I prefer it written that way, because it doesn't seem realistic, after all they had been through together, that a newcomer would be able to break into their circle.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

This is a Sam/Teal'c story that I thought showed perfectly how they're relationship was building over time.

http://community.livejournal.com/fic...nd/311616.html
                    In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
                    so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
                    Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
                    Hic Comitas Regit
                    Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

tsax, i have to ask you a question. what exactly IS your avatar? (i'm seeing a golden duck or something )

sally
                      It's the left hand keys on one of the first Adolphe Sax tenor Saxophones - here is the full picture

To get on topic - The Vancouver Con starts on Friday afternoon and Amanda is currently scheduled to be at the Charity Breakfast on Sunday and then speak on stage Sunday as well.
                      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

i'll throw in a ship question!

"is there anything for sam/jack shippers to look forward to in the future?"

seriously, if anyone that's going to the con wouldn't mind asking that question, i'd love to hear amanda's answer. (even if it wasn't a favorable one for s/j shippers)
                        I would ask that, but I'm sure someone will get to it before I do. I sure hope they explore the Sam/Jack ship in future eps. I would love to see RDA again, even if it's just for a guest spot in one ep. I don't know if I really want an actual resolution to the Sam/Jack ship although I don't think I would mind. However, I'd just be happy to see them together again.

About the Sam/Teal'c friendship, all the scenes that have been mentioned are really good and do a good job of showcasing the bond that has been built between them. One of my favorite scenes is in Paradise Lost when Sam is in the locker room and Teal'c hugs her. He knew she needed someone to be there for her and he was that person. Teal'c doesn't show his sensitive side that often, but it is nevertheless a strong part of him.

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        I think the only character that fit in with SG1 and was welcomed was Janet. Eventhough she wasn't a part of the team, she was a friend to all of them. I don't think anyone saw her as an outsider. It's too bad they killed her off because no other character could fill her shoes or show the bonds she had with them.
                        Killing off Janet was one of the stupidest things TPTB ever did (the other one, imo, was in Full circle
                        Spoiler:
                        - letting Anubis completely destroy Abydos and all its inhabitants).
                        I can't see myself ever liking another SG-1 doctor as much as Janet. I think Dr. Lam does a good job, but I still watch the show wishing that Janet was there. She just had this charisma and caring way about her. She was so passionate about her job. No one can truly fill her shoes. I think that is why TPTB took so long to get a permanent doctor on the show again.

Also, aside from the fact that we lost a great character, there could have been many moments with Sam and Janet. They had such a great bond, they were clearly as close as sisters and I feel sad when I think about how their friendship could have been explored and the great scenes we could have witnessed.
                        Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                        Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE, LYS!!!

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYS!!

I hope you have a great day!
                            Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                            Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Ok I have proof... ask Uber... that's exactly what I said!

Originally posted by minigeek
                              Wow, I just read it. It's very thoughtful. I disagree with two-thirds of it, but it's thoughtful none the less. It really illustrates how two people [myself and that other fan, for example] can see the exact same thing completely differently.
                              sigpic

Comment

You know bizarrely mini... such a fic exists. It involves group sex with all five members of SG-1 (Jonas & Daniel were both there) and oddly is completely in character the whole time. I was quite stunned when I read it. It's called Jayne Mansfield's car, but damned if I can find it again.... so never say never

And... HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYS!!!

Originally Posted by minigeek
                                Sam/Janet I don't mind a bit. I can actually see that happening, even given canon characterization. I should have added that one to my list. But I have yet to read a three+(some) fanfic where I didn't cringe. I just cannot see any of the primary four characters remaining true to (well, character) and still getting into a situation like that. Nothing against group sex, but SG-1 would not be having any (Unless there was a very foreign chemical or alien substance involved!) But to each his own, as they say. I have to imagine that if someone was seeking out an SG-1 group sex fic, believable characterization would probably not be on the top of their "most important" list for that particular story anyway.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X