Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    *swoons*

i loved reading that so much that i had an orgasm.

sally
    Sally..... are you still alive out there?
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Sal, um, that remark is a very tough one to follow. I'll try. I'm sitting here blubbering, after reading all of your wonderful PM's. They helped more than you will ever know. Mac is still at the vet, but he looked better this AM. I have a very good friend, a vet, who has volunteered to take care of Mac for me, in her home, so my hubby and I can go to Vancouver tomorrow. I'm not packed, but I do have my luggage out, so if the vet at 6PM says we can take him to my friend's home, we'll be arriving in Vancouver late afternoon on the 22nd. I have my fingers crossed for Mac....he's a little West Highland White Terrier and when I get a chance, I'll post his pic. He never sits still, so I never get good pics of him, but my new camera is VERY fast, and he's a tad slower than usual right now. He looked so sad with an IV in his front paw. He's not very happy right now, but he loves my friend Gerry, and loves playing with her brood of dogs, cats and birds.

Thank you all once again for your thoughts and prayers. You ARE all the greatest and I know for certain, Samanda is my home. I'll never wander again.

-Lida-
      On fighting:
      Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
      Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        My issues with Season Nine, I guess on top of the severe lack of Sam, all stem from the fact that much of Sam's involvement was like a whacked out romance verion of Sam Carter, This Is Your Life, where long-buried "lurve" interests came back from the dead to haunt us all - every interest but the most controversial, yet canon of them all, of course.

I could've done with zero Sam/Jack references if it hadn't been for the constant Barrett (cute guy, but he was the first), Orlin, Martouf, and yes even the McKay bits, delusion or no. I'm still waiting for Narim to come back with ol' Shroe 2 in tow with important news about the Ori. Or for Faxon to send some kind of message from the future, warning her of the dangers of gate travel to their future children. And, hey, Nefreyu's of age now. It's about time we heard from the Nox again.

It's like they replaced the very characteristics that set Sam apart and added identifiable depth this season (command of SG-1, and semblance of Soldier Sam) with snippets of all of the little puppy dogs who've ever been instantly smitten by her. And not only that, but they also managed to snub the J/S shippers as well.
        I have a theory about Sam’s past admirers who’ve paraded across the screen this season. (and I advise you all to run for it while still you may ) The theory is that Sam is being used as a tool to inject required content into the eps, namely ‘perceptible sexual availability of female characters’, until such time as Vala returns to fulfill that important function. Sam has been applied as a tool in this capacity since season 7, and, indeed, there seems to have been a watershed event of some kind behind the scenes, either between seasons 6 and 7, or somewhere in early season 7, that took Sam’s character from a state where she would not receive a visit from Daniel Jackson in his fashion-challenged Ascended incarnation lest anyone get shippy vibes from the existence of such an incident, to a de-spined and all-accepting male-generated girlfriend cliché, complete with scenes designed specifically to make utterly certain the viewer knows she’s had sex, before she balks the man who’s conquered her of the proper-from-the immature--male-viewpoint reward of her submission – complete knowledge of what his girlfriends is and does – and suffers his just wrath in proper-from-the- immature-male-viewpoint tearful silence, followed by proper-from-the-immature-male-viewpoint worry about his well-being as he does something dangerous and stupid, followed by proper-from-the- immature-male-viewpoint complete forgiveness and happy acceptance of his rights at the end. This trend continued through season 8, with inappropriately clothed Carter in tank tops and leather (I liked that leather top myself, but it was hardly bullet-proof), and a Replicator slapping her butt as he leaves no doubt his fantasy self has had sex with her the night before, and Carter hanging on her boyfriend’s every word while dressed to show off just how slim, long-legged and graceful Carter is, and Carter snogging her new fiancée in an inappropriately public venue, and RepliCarter in slinky aubergine-black satin, and Jack making comments about how hot Carter is, and GeekCarter busting out to lay a mega-lip lock on a guy, complete with fireworks. I suspect that if Amanda hadn’t gotten pregnant, Sam Carter would have gotten quite tarted up whilst in the Pegasus galaxy, and would have come home to maintain her tart-status on SG1 while the designated tart, Vala, was elsewhere, but, an immediately post-partum nursing mother’s body was deemed unfit for perceived sexual consumption, and so Sam only to wear two low-cut tops in season 9, and TPTB-Continuum went for implying her sexual availability (which never before existed – Sam Carter was ‘wanted’ by many males of various species but was never ‘had’ until Pete) by bringing on the admirers and slinging the unbased innuendo. Just gotta have that ‘perceptible female sexual availability’ – what else would any (immature) male want from a female? :gack:

Long story short, they haven't utilized her properly. I could've done with minimized Sam, because I'm sure there are logical reasons behind that minimization. It's just that it seemed like everywhere TPTB turned, they found more and more reasons to utilize her in a way that was a gigantic step backwards for the character.
        But a giant step forward on the path to making Stargate SG1 a ‘sexier’ show that require less intellectual effort from the viewers. :gack again:

I really do think that’s been the plan. Science is hard, and, inherently ‘unsexy’ in the current social climate, of the US at least. So, we tone down and minimize the science and the scientists, when we’re not outright mocking them and making laughing stocks of them. Frickin’ science – we’ll just do the fiction part of science fiction, y’know? Who needs all that science and drama and logic and crap – it’s boring. Go blow up something. That seems to be the attitude at the level where shots are called in TPTB-Continuum.

But, it doesn’t seem to be the attitude at the level where the shots are actually translated into the functioning of the production company. Season 9 was written in an incredibly conflicted way – as if the writers’ orders conflicted so badly with their ethics, or desires, or understanding, or something – something so personal to them that they couldn’t set it aside – that they ended up producing some really inept scripts, plots, characterizations, explanations, et cetera. And, to me, having observed that it’s progressively more difficult to set aside one’s personal feelings and subvert ones orders well and creatively the more intense one’s personal feelings on the orders are, I think they had some very intense personal feelings about the sexing up, dumbing down, and scr*wing over of the whole Stargate franchise, and, forgive me, the Sam Carter character in particular. I mean, they’re creative people and capable writers according to what we saw in previous seasons. So… why did it go to hades in a handbasket this season? I think it could have been because the directives they received were so vastly in conflict with their own personal takes on Stargate that they couldn’t resolve the two gracefully in the time they had. (In my experience at following the letter of the command whilst still annihilating its spirit in order to achieve my own ends (I used to be in Marketing – I know whereof I speak ) it’s harder and takes longer to toss away one’s ingrained obedience and assume the attitude of eager subversion that will allow one to achieve one’s own goals the farther one’s own opinion lies from the opinion that one is being ordered to convey. And, if they’re far enough apart to start with, and one hasn’t sufficient time, one may not get to the land of happy subversion at all. ) Hence, Mitchell’s personality schizophrenia, and the blatant rewriting of history, and the cloddishly inelegant plots and plot devices that marred the whole season. And, meanwhile, little personal rebellions occur – Teal’c’s increasingly evident lack of a use for Mitchell, Sam silently oozing command when she doesn’t just go ahead and exercise it, Sam’s and Daniel’s and Teal’c’s exasperation with inept command.

Subversion in a good cause – I like that.

On a positive note? I think things are actually going to change by next season. Despite my complaints, I must ironically admit that AT and CB seem to have pull, and are far more likely to get what they want from the Powers. Yet I still have a bit of hope left for some Teyla/Weir friendship next season.
        Alas, I can’t share any optimism here – in my experience, subversion is removed with prejudice whenever it’s discovered, and, I suspect that season 10 will conform even more closely to the shots called by the TPTB-Continuum – Mitchell hero regardless of what he does, Vala outrageous hot body sexually available female good whatever she does, effects good, science bad, logic bad, titillation good, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum. Literally.

Blech.
        ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Simha - you're my hero.

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
          I have a theory about Sam’s past admirers who’ve paraded across the screen this season. (and I advise you all to run for it while still you may ) The theory is that Sam is being used as a tool to inject required content into the eps, namely ‘perceptible sexual availability of female characters’, until such time as Vala returns to fulfill that important function. Sam has been applied as a tool in this capacity since season 7, and, indeed, there seems to have been a watershed event of some kind behind the scenes, either between seasons 6 and 7, or somewhere in early season 7, that took Sam’s character from a state where she would not receive a visit from Daniel Jackson in his fashion-challenged Ascended incarnation lest anyone get shippy vibes from the existence of such an incident, to a de-spined and all-accepting male-generated girlfriend cliché, complete with scenes designed specifically to make utterly certain the viewer knows she’s had sex, before she balks the man who’s conquered her of the proper-from-the immature--male-viewpoint reward of her submission – complete knowledge of what his girlfriends is and does – and suffers his just wrath in proper-from-the- immature-male-viewpoint tearful silence, followed by proper-from-the-immature-male-viewpoint worry about his well-being as he does something dangerous and stupid, followed by proper-from-the- immature-male-viewpoint complete forgiveness and happy acceptance of his rights at the end. This trend continued through season 8, with inappropriately clothed Carter in tank tops and leather (I liked that leather top myself, but it was hardly bullet-proof), and a Replicator slapping her butt as he leaves no doubt his fantasy self has had sex with her the night before, and Carter hanging on her boyfriend’s every word while dressed to show off just how slim, long-legged and graceful Carter is, and Carter snogging her new fiancée in an inappropriately public venue, and RepliCarter in slinky aubergine-black satin, and Jack making comments about how hot Carter is, and GeekCarter busting out to lay a mega-lip lock on a guy, complete with fireworks. I suspect that if Amanda hadn’t gotten pregnant, Sam Carter would have gotten quite tarted up whilst in the Pegasus galaxy, and would have come home to maintain her tart-status on SG1 while the designated tart, Vala, was elsewhere, but, an immediately post-partum nursing mother’s body was deemed unfit for perceived sexual consumption, and so Sam only to wear two low-cut tops in season 9, and TPTB-Continuum went for implying her sexual availability (which never before existed – Sam Carter was ‘wanted’ by many males of various species but was never ‘had’ until Pete) by bringing on the admirers and slinging the unbased innuendo. Just gotta have that ‘perceptible female sexual availability’ – what else would any (immature) male want from a female? :gack:

But a giant step forward on the path to making Stargate SG1 a ‘sexier’ show that require less intellectual effort from the viewers. :gack again:

I really do think that’s been the plan. Science is hard, and, inherently ‘unsexy’ in the current social climate, of the US at least. So, we tone down and minimize the science and the scientists, when we’re not outright mocking them and making laughing stocks of them. Frickin’ science – we’ll just do the fiction part of science fiction, y’know? Who needs all that science and drama and logic and crap – it’s boring. Go blow up something. That seems to be the attitude at the level where shots are called in TPTB-Continuum.

But, it doesn’t seem to be the attitude at the level where the shots are actually translated into the functioning of the production company. Season 9 was written in an incredibly conflicted way – as if the writers’ orders conflicted so badly with their ethics, or desires, or understanding, or something – something so personal to them that they couldn’t set it aside – that they ended up producing some really inept scripts, plots, characterizations, explanations, et cetera. And, to me, having observed that it’s progressively more difficult to set aside one’s personal feelings and subvert ones orders well and creatively the more intense one’s personal feelings on the orders are, I think they had some very intense personal feelings about the sexing up, dumbing down, and scr*wing over of the whole Stargate franchise, and, forgive me, the Sam Carter character in particular. I mean, they’re creative people and capable writers according to what we saw in previous seasons. So… why did it go to hades in a handbasket this season? I think it could have been because the directives they received were so vastly in conflict with their own personal takes on Stargate that they couldn’t resolve the two gracefully in the time they had. (In my experience at following the letter of the command whilst still annihilating its spirit in order to achieve my own ends (I used to be in Marketing – I know whereof I speak ) it’s harder and takes longer to toss away one’s ingrained obedience and assume the attitude of eager subversion that will allow one to achieve one’s own goals the farther one’s own opinion lies from the opinion that one is being ordered to convey. And, if they’re far enough apart to start with, and one hasn’t sufficient time, one may not get to the land of happy subversion at all. ) Hence, Mitchell’s personality schizophrenia, and the blatant rewriting of history, and the cloddishly inelegant plots and plot devices that marred the whole season. And, meanwhile, little personal rebellions occur – Teal’c’s increasingly evident lack of a use for Mitchell, Sam silently oozing command when she doesn’t just go ahead and exercise it, Sam’s and Daniel’s and Teal’c’s exasperation with inept command.

Alas, I can’t share any optimism here – in my experience, subversion is removed with prejudice whenever it’s discovered, and, I suspect that season 10 will conform even more closely to the shots called by the TPTB-Continuum – Mitchell hero regardless of what he does, Vala outrageous hot body sexually available female good whatever she does, effects good, science bad, logic bad, titillation good, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum. Literally.

Blech.
          Last edited by minigeek; 21 March 2006, 09:47 AM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

see, that's a question without a finite answer.

there's this one fic, it's got daniel who gets cold adn jack has to snuggle with him to warm him up while they're waiting for help

while he's doing it, jack's sniffing daniel's hair (or admiring it, one or the other) adn the author calls it gen

but here we have shippers who, if jack wer snuggling with sam and sniffing her hair, it's ship

Ship, unless it's overt, is relative. and in the eye of the reader/writer
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              Ship, unless it's overt, is relative. and in the eye of the reader/writer
              Preeeeecisely.

Then again, Jack has UST with everyone. He's such a manwh*re.

He and Sawyer soo need to GIO&GIOW.
              (oops ... wrong Jack. Wrong show! D'oh! )

mg (uh oh... here they come!)
              Last edited by minigeek; 21 March 2006, 09:32 AM.

Comment

he aint got nuttin on daniel

dannyboy's gotten around a LOT more than jack has
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  he aint got nuttin on daniel

dannyboy's gotten around a LOT more than jack has
                  Which does much to dispell the myth that archaeologists have trouble getting laid, eh?

minigeek
                  "lookit him, he runs like a welshman. doesn't he? doesn't he run like a welshman?!"
                  - Stewie, Family Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra

Blech.
                    You have said exactly what I have been thinking far more articulately than I ever could.

I'm not very pleased with Stargate at the moment it had degenerated from the fine series it once was and now merely seems to serve that section of the viewing public highlighted in red (IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                      Sal, um, that remark is a very tough one to follow. I'll try. I'm sitting here blubbering, after reading all of your wonderful PM's. They helped more than you will ever know. Mac is still at the vet, but he looked better this AM. I have a very good friend, a vet, who has volunteered to take care of Mac for me, in her home, so my hubby and I can go to Vancouver tomorrow. I'm not packed, but I do have my luggage out, so if the vet at 6PM says we can take him to my friend's home, we'll be arriving in Vancouver late afternoon on the 22nd. I have my fingers crossed for Mac....he's a little West Highland White Terrier and when I get a chance, I'll post his pic. He never sits still, so I never get good pics of him, but my new camera is VERY fast, and he's a tad slower than usual right now. He looked so sad with an IV in his front paw. He's not very happy right now, but he loves my friend Gerry, and loves playing with her brood of dogs, cats and birds.

Thank you all once again for your thoughts and prayers. You ARE all the greatest and I know for certain, Samanda is my home. I'll never wander again.

-Lida-

Awesome! I'm so glad your dog is doing better. I hope he continues to do so.

Comment

-Lida-
                        I'm sooooooo glad to hear that your pup is doing better. Hopefully he'll be up and back to his normal self in no time! Have a wonderful time in Vancouver -- you definitely deserve it. *hugs tightly*

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

I'm sorry to go off thread, but I didn't know where else to go. I don't think I'll be able to go to Vancouver. I just had to rush my dog to the Vet, he's bleeding internally. I can't believe this is happening. I lose my mother last week and now my dog? We don't have any children....Mac is my baby. I feel so lost and alone right now, and I know I'm babbling, but I don't have anyone to talk to anymore. I have to go, crying too much.

I'm sorry.
                          Lida , .. sorry to hear about your mom .... hope you dog gets better..

Comment

-Lida-
                            Lida, thanks for the update, I am so glad to hear that Mac is doing is doing better and I hope you are able to make it to the con and have a good time
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Lida - I'm so happy your puppy has taken a turn for the better. I hope all is well and you can head to Vancouver with few worries.

Comment

zuz took this cap and posted it on one of the shipper threads, but it's just such an adorable pic of Amanda/Sam ... I had to lift it and post it here, too. Sans the shipper context, of course.

Aww moment ....

Awww! LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X