Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    he fought and fought to get the band back together....then ditches them at every opportunity
    Now that made me chuckle - and it's so true.
    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CG

Comment

I think deep down many of us feel this way, I do.. but I'm not counting them out after one average season in 9. The change of management in the production has had a huge and obvious impact, but it's fans willing to speak out who can have an impact on the future course and direction.

I hold hopes for season 10 too, I hold hopes that the shift with Brad Wright coming back in will make a difference, and that someone will start cracking the whip over the writing team to bring the standard back up to what we're used to. Of course those are uninformed hopes... but you know what, constructive criticism just may be heard where balatant whining will not... so rock on Samandans. It's nice to know there is a place where the level of intelligence resides above the belt (not counting those slight and intentional vacations below it).

Mmm that was a bunch of babble without actually making point, but trust me, sometimes fan voices are heard and well constructed critique is very useful.

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
        Wow Strix - great post. (It's evening so now I can go back and read and "green" and respond at my leisure to everyone's posts!) (dusting/cleaning/housework be damned!!!)

Especially the first paragraph. You've hit on a lot of my concerns with S9. I found some things I liked, but it seemed like so many near misses and missed opportunities to explore other things. And to stomach the major changes to the show, I hoped there'd be more of Sam, more of Tea'lc, more of Daniel, and more substantial development overall, not just one powerful acting scene per every fifth show per original character...

Here's to hoping some of the SG magic returns in S10 and that they finally let Sam shine after a decade of personal and professional growth.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          I agree CG. But well said, Lys. Your point is well taken. One of the reasons I've never used the term "Big 3" is because (to me) it's no different than another term I've heard bandied about "The Second Original SG-1". I'd rather not go in either of those directions, frankly.
          i didn't start the 'big 3' name, but i love it and use it a lot.

i don't see that moniker being used in the same way that the 'the second original sg1' has been used. firstly, the only members of sg1 that are left are sam, daniel, and teal'c, and *they* are the ones being remembered here with the 'big 3' name. with the 'second original' team thinger, sam has been (purposely) left out. no need to go into the reasons for this, but the 'big 3' is *honoring* what made this team so wonderful to begin with.

i can handle new things and characters being added. i adored season 6, even though daniel was gone, because i felt that jonas was a good character. now, would i have thought that if he was sam's replacement? prob not, because i wouldn't have even been watching without her anyways.

i don't think it's too much to ask for that the ppl that made this show what it is should be treated with respect. let the new characters and storylines be an *addition* to the show, not the new show all together. is that wrong of me to expect or want?

I agree with Lys in that I think the primary challenge the writing team has tackled this past year has been trying to marry the idea of continuing SG-1 as an established series with recasting it. But I disagree that I (for one) have been pidgeon-holeing the team into an old box. I think I'd be among the first to admit that the team needs new vitality - especially with Jack now absent - and new characters can certainly bring that to the mix.
          before i knew that mitchell/ben was joining the fold, i had visions of episodes where sam, daniel, and teal'c would be confronting things that maybe they'd confronted before, but without their usual leader to confort them in their journey. i saw *that* as the revitalized idea for the show. as much as i love and knew i'd miss jack/rda, i was *very* excited by the opportunities available with this new team set up. i, basically, don't see those ideas being able to come to fruition with mitchell being there, especially if they want him as leading this too-far-knowledgeable-to-need-this-greenhorn team.

(a good example of a show disrespecting it's audience is NCIS, with how they've treated the death of Kate. it's the same mentality of stargate; out with the old, in with the new. and to hell with the old and you idiots caring about the old!)

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            i didn't start the 'big 3' name, but i love it and use it a lot.

i don't see that moniker being used in the same way that the 'the second original sg1' has been used. firstly, the only members of sg1 that are left are sam, daniel, and teal'c, and *they* are the ones being remembered here with the 'big 3' name. with the 'second original' team thinger, sam has been (purposely) left out. no need to go into the reasons for this, but the 'big 3' is *honoring* what made this team so wonderful to begin with.

i can handle new things and characters being added. i adored season 6, even though daniel was gone, because i felt that jonas was a good character. now, would i have thought that if he was sam's replacement? prob not, because i wouldn't have even been watching without her anyways.

i don't think it's too much to ask for that the ppl that made this show what it is should be treated with respect. let the new characters and storylines be an *addition* to the show, not the new show all together. is that wrong of me to expect or want?

before i knew that mitchell/ben was joining the fold, i had visions of episodes where sam, daniel, and teal'c would be confronting things that maybe they'd confronted before, but without their usual leader to confort them in their journey. i saw *that* as the revitalized idea for the show. as much as i love and knew i'd miss jack/rda, i was *very* excited by the opportunities available with this new team set up. i, basically, don't see those ideas being able to come to fruition with mitchell being there, especially if they want him as leading this too-far-knowledgeable-to-need-this-greenhorn team.

(a good example of a show disrespecting it's audience is NCIS, with how they've treated the death of Kate. it's the same mentality of stargate; out with the old, in with the new. and to hell with the old and you idiots caring about the old!)

sally
            Well said Sally.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              Hmmm? Maybe he can have Carter beamed to the nearest supply closet for Sally

*sighs dreamily*

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                before i knew that mitchell/ben was joining the fold, i had visions of episodes where sam, daniel, and teal'c would be confronting things that maybe they'd confronted before, but without their usual leader to confort them in their journey. i saw *that* as the revitalized idea for the show. as much as i love and knew i'd miss jack/rda, i was *very* excited by the opportunities available with this new team set up.
                That would have been great.

Are there any virtual seasons like that out there? Maybe the fans did a better job than TPTB.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  ok, for all 3 of you that have been waiting

http://www.jackfic.com/emeraldcity/t.../trinkets9.htm

final chapter of trinkets
                  cool we are going to be aunts and uncles ....squeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                    Which is part of the reason I don't use the term myself.

In part I think it's too simplistic a term to really encapsulate all the thoughts/reasons/feelings people have about the three characters and how they're fitting/not fitting into the show now.

I don't think using the more generic SG1 would work for most instances where I see 'the big three' being used, because people aren't talking about SG1-either in it's oringinal incarnation, or the version we have now. Using simply "Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c" would be better, I think.

I do get your point, that using such terms separates fans of the show SG1, and that's probably very true.

However, as I said, I can certainly understand the frustration that goes into a name such as 'the big three'. Because a lot of fans of these characters are feeling marginalized this season-both for the characters they've watched and loved for so many years, and by extension for themselves. Whether or not they're using any kind of label, they're still going to have those feelings, and still going to be feeling left out.
                    the term the 'big 3' came about because they were treated like 'those 3 has-beens'. IF they hadn't been treated that way -while they're still 'on' the show- then the 'big 3' moniker wouldn't have been invented.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                      I haven't managed to read all the posts on this, so I apologise if I haven't got the full gist.

However I'm not afraid of saying that I am one of those people you are referring to.

I do not for one moment think I am being rude. I think I am being honest. I dislike the charcater because of the message the character may project about women and which in my opinion is a very very negative message. I want women in leading roles who may be held up as role models to be portrayed in a much better light. Not watching is my protest - and maybe a watering down of this character is due to a lot of veiwers protesting about this character as I do.

If we do not actively protest about what we percieive to be unacceptable we would never be able to make a difference. Sometimes actions are more important than words. It is important to stand by what you believe.

If the series continues down the route it has chosen in season 9 I will not watch.

If Vala's character changes - then that is great as far as I'm concerned - maybe if they also get back to what SG1 is supposed to be about I may watch. But Vala will not be Vala will she - she will be a different character - probably the one they should have written from the start and maybe a character we would never have seen if people hadn't aired their negative views about the character in her original guise.

To be honest someone who happily bleeds a planet dry and lets it's people languish in poverty and on the brink of starvation whilst lavishing themselves in luxury (tell me how is this character fun?) has got to have a complete lack of integrity and lack of compassion. I'm not entirely convinced that in the real world people like this have the capability of changing I think the problem runs far too deep. The lewd remarks the strutting and flirting is more suited to a person of adolescent age and I just find it annoying.

I really do not like watching. If I don't watch this character why is that being rude?

I have not had a problem with any other character - just this one!
                      i watch stargate sg1 for one reason now - sam carter/amanda tapping. it didn't used to be this way, but it slowly changed over time. season 7 was the real beginning of it, actually, when the writing started deteriorating.

i think the worst thing that's happened to stargate sg1 is not mitchell or vala, but *how* they've been written. the worst thing that's happened to stargate is extremely poor leadership. not sg1's leadership, but the *show's* leadership. i think the stories are poor. i think the plot holes are bigger than the plots. i think the show's in the condition it is because the leadership behind it is seriously lacking in foresight.

would *i* quit if amanda quit? you're danged right i would, and i'm not ashamed to admit that. heck, i'm having probs watching even with her being on now. to see such a once richly done show become stargate: mtv is not only mind-boggling, but depressing. but i'll continue to watch *for sam carter/amanda tapping*. if sam continues to be written as a side character, and if the new characters continue to be given what was once hers... i don't think even amanda still being on would make me be able to continue on. i think i'd be better off just calling it a day and playing some of my fave eps on tape (all of which highlight sam). it might be better to remember it in it's glory... and sam's glory.

if this is too anti whatever, or too negative, or too impolitically correct, then so be it. but it IS me, and... so be it.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        See, the only thing I can say is good about Jack being gone is that we're not subjected to the whole ship thing. If it comes back, I would hope they are together-end of story--no soapy angst. I think that's my biggest concession to the shippers yet. Maybe you guys are a bad influence on me.
                        well, jckfan, knowing how much you don't enjoy s/j ship... that *does* mean a lot for you to say that. so, jf, *thank you*.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          What was I thinking?! You're right--they'd never let it go at a simple reference, would they? Was it last night's wacky mind control/insanity episodes? Thank you for saving me, Lys. (jckfan goes back into denial of ship mode).

BTW, what's with the penguins?
                          dang it! lys, shut up!

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                            I would lay money on RDA being in the 200th episode.
                            *sighs*

sorry, i just wanted to see that sentence in its correct format.

*sighs again*

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                              That would have been great.

Are there any virtual seasons like that out there? Maybe the fans did a better job than TPTB.
                              I know there was a Virtual Season 6 and I'm pretty sure I've seen a virtual season 9. And I think there was a Virtual Season 7-8 in which Janet wasn't killed. nfi on the links though

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                                As far as fanfic, not to defend fics where it's thrown in as gratuitous violence or with no thought for the character or the story, but in other fics it may be an intentional exploration by an author who's willing to explore a "what if." I know in one of the 3 fanfics that are lingering in various phases of development in my laptop at the moment, my plan is to explore Sam's reaction to a character death. I hope to not make it smarmy and trite and gratuitous, but to instead explore what the Sam of S6 would have felt and one of the paths she might have taken in reaction to the death, but we'll see how it develops. (up to 10K words at the moment...)

I don't see Jonas Hanson's control/abuse as physical either. I'd see Sam leaving (or punching him out!) if he tried to get physical. But I would see his 'domestic abuse' in terms of verbal abuse and manipulating her to do things she didn't want to do. And I do see him as trying to get away with as much of it as Sam would allow, especially if Sam had stopped buying/reacting to his poor wounded soul act and he felt it was the only way he had to try to control her since his passive agressive wheedling and cajoling and guilt trips weren't working anymore. MOHO is that it built up to a point where Sam couldn't ignore it or "excuse" it away anymore and realized what she was about to get herself into. (Hmmmm... now that would be an interesting scene to have watched in FC... a flashback to Sam dumping Jonas....)
                                while 99 percent of the time in a fic i like to see our ppl acting like our ppl... i also enjoy a fic where they are completely and totally out of what we're used to seeing. that's why i joined the 'dark fic' group, to read fics where our ppl are 'out of character'. the fics are fun (if you can call them that) and sometimes enlightening.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X