Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    I haven't managed to read all the posts on this, so I apologise if I haven't got the full gist.

However I'm not afraid of saying that I am one of those people you are referring to.

I do not for one moment think I am being rude. I think I am being honest. I dislike the charcater because of the message the character may project about women and which in my opinion is a very very negative message. I want women in leading roles who may be held up as role models to be portrayed in a much better light. Not watching is my protest - and maybe a watering down of this character is due to a lot of veiwers protesting about this character as I do.

If we do not actively protest about what we percieive to be unacceptable we would never be able to make a difference. Sometimes actions are more important than words. It is important to stand by what you believe.

If the series continues down the route it has chosen in season 9 I will not watch.

If Vala's character changes - then that is great as far as I'm concerned - maybe if they also get back to what SG1 is supposed to be about I may watch. But Vala will not be Vala will she - she will be a different character - probably the one they should have written from the start and maybe a character we would never have seen if people hadn't aired their negative views about the character in her original guise.

To be honest someone who happily bleeds a planet dry and lets it's people languish in poverty and on the brink of starvation whilst lavishing themselves in luxury (tell me how is this character fun?) has got to have a complete lack of integrity and lack of compassion. I'm not entirely convinced that in the real world people like this have the capability of changing I think the problem runs far too deep. The lewd remarks the strutting and flirting is more suited to a person of adolescent age and I just find it annoying.

I really do not like watching. If I don't watch this character why is that being rude?

I have not had a problem with any other character - just this one!
    Sorry Coley but I wasn't speaking about Vala but any character you want to pick. And what I find rude isn't that you don't watch because said character (that's Vala for you) is on the show.If you don't like it and don't watch it I can only respect your position. I realize that I forgot to mention something though. What I find rude is when someone praises the team but has a preference for a character and suddenly claims not watching because his/her favourite character isn't on the show and yet the team is there. Yes, it happens, but there's still the others. For example, Daniel wasn't in Matter of Time and Double Jeopardy, Jack was barely in Spirits, not at all in Nightwalkers, barely in Fragile Balance and Avenger 2.0 and I'm sure there are other examples. Ask any fan of Jack or Daniel, how many of them didn't watch those episodes because they weren't in them ?
    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Done Kat [virtual hand shake]

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Well seeing as I'm not capable of writing readable fic, I'll have to pay in other means. I don't believe RDA will be in any of the season ten episodes; however, if RDA/Jack is actually in the 200th episode as more than a clip, I'll use my personalized autograph at Gabit to have Amanda sign whatever picture you wish...to you. That is as long as it's acceptable by the G4.

But! And that's a mighty big but...if RDA doesn't actually appear in the 200th episode, then you and Oober have to promise to have your special project completed by the first day of Gabit. It will be your job to bullwhip Oober into completing it.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        it did look wrong. it looked like they didn't give a fig about their friend, or that they were afraid they'd wrinkle thier fatigues

kinda reminded me of ascension in a way. after all they've seen and done and been through, sam says she's seeing an alien and it's psych eval time?????

dude, so rude.

i really hope the boys did some serious groveling when they found out that she was right
        Oh yeah. That's another one that bugged me. The only one who seemed the least bit concerned was Daniel when he asked Jack if she was okay.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
          Can I just say "Ditto" to this entire post? Except I might put More Jack as number 8.

Also, I don't need to see Jack to fulfill #10-just the other characters talking about him would do me. The man still exists, and had been a very important part of their lives for eight years. You'd think they'd mention him, and how he might be reacting to what's going on with them and the war with the Ori now.

Plus-I still think he and Sam are secretly married, so I'd like to see her mention him now and again.
          See, the only thing I can say is good about Jack being gone is that we're not subjected to the whole ship thing. If it comes back, I would hope they are together-end of story--no soapy angst. I think that's my biggest concession to the shippers yet. Maybe you guys are a bad influence on me.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            Yes, thank you. My wound loved that dash of salt.
            Feel free to PM me about it any time. The best method is to read it once and then ask for a Nebari Mind Cleansing to forget what you've just read

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
              What about more team ? Seriously, this season each time they're all four of them in the same room, one of them if not two has the sudden urge to go running somewhere else. What about they only show us how great those people can be together, working together, saving the world together, having fun together ?
              I love Sam and want to see her get her due, but I love the Big 3 working *together.* We learn about their characters by their interactions with each other more perhaps than in individually focused episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost

In his Q&A at Solutions board Joe said some time ago that Vala will be interacting with ALL SG-1 members, I'd love to see the episode with Sam and Vala on the mission without boys
                i hope she does interact with everyone.

for me personally? i've never been a huge fan of daniel. haven't from day one. and after all the brouhaha of s6, well i'm finally getting to the point that i can watch him without cringing. literally. there is something about the character and the man that plays him taht just puts my nerves on edge and i literally can't stand to watch him a good portion of the time

which is why, as much as the daniel and vala show may appeal to some, it does nothing for me. literally nothing.

i can enjoy teh fact that vala brings out a better side of daniel. to me, claudia gets shanks so distracted that he forgets he's acting and thus acts more natually. and it's humorous to watch daniel keep getting made a fool of (although i know that's not fair to him)

but the daniel and vala comedy hour did zero for me earlier this season

and i see that as one of the weaknesses of the show now.

when they focus on a character or pairing, they do it full tilt...and leave very little for those that may not like that character or pairing. earlier shows had a much more broad focus and there was more in them with a general appeal

lately? everything seems to be skewed one way or another which often leads to only segments of the fans finding something they enjoy in each eps....which leads to very strident and passionate opinions which often makes each eps a love it or hate it type of episode

For thost that love the daniel and vala show, it's great that you're gonna get something to watch. i just don't havea lot of faith in rob and company remembering the rest of us out here and giving us something that we'll enjoy
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                  Maybe you guys are a bad influence on me.
                  No. You've just finally seen the light.

j/k non-shippers! i am just kidding about teh "light".

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                    Back in season one, the storylines were also quite simple. SG1 goes to a planet, gets in trouble, fights, wins and comes back. They had time to explore the relationships between the main characters. Now that we're in season nine, they have to deal with a very big universe, one which has 8 years of history. One of their problems in regards to the team relationships is that the plot is taking advantage of the characters. They can only focus on one or barely two of the cast in the 42 minutes time of an episode. They can't go back to the way the episodes were written back in season one, not in SG1 universe. We can't expect characters with only a year of history in the show to be as complex and developped as those with nine years of history.
                    There's also how we perceive the new team, and I'm not talking about how the team has been written this year (very lacking in my opinion) but how we're talking about SG1. For some time, I've been reading posts with the "Big 3" and the other guy. How the heck do you expect Cam to fit in the team if you constantly put him apart ? I can only speak for myself but I really dislike the "Big 3" name. I think it reduces Sam, Daniel and Teal'c to a group of individuals only engrossed into their friendship and not very open minded. It's like they're building a big wall between their small group and any other person who'd dare to come too close to them. They're not like that. I really fear if it goes this way in the fans' minds that even with brilliant writing and awesome episodes, poor Cam will never fit into the team. There always be this huge wall between him and the others. Same goes for Vala.
                    When I said earlier that I wanted more team, it was more Sam, Cam, Daniel and Teal'c together, not more Sam, Daniel and Teal'c and never mind if the other guy is here or not. As far as I'm concerned, SG1 is a four persons team. I know this post won't please some of you but please, keep in mind that it isn't a rant in defense of Cam but in defense of the team.
                    Now, forgive me if my not so good mood of the moment shows between those lines.

Deepspace, nothing against your post. I agree season 9 is the beginning of a new team. I only quoted you as a reference for my rant.
                    Good point. I think I use the term "Big 3" as a reaction to the emphasis we've had on the new people which has come (IMHO) at the expense of characters that have been with us for 8+years. I'd like to see Cam more integrated than we've seen him. I have no problem with the *idea* of a new character--heck, I liked Jonas.

Comment

Hey guys,
                      Saturday I watched Reckoning Part 2 and I found it a great episode.
                      Especially sarcastic Sam
                      I was LMAO during the scene about the sun
                      Sadly I will miss Threads this Saturday because I'm off to Barcelona

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                        Maybe it's only a question of perspective on the show and the characters. Sam is one of my favourite characters (yes, only one of them ) but I can't see her the way AD sees her and I can't either see her the way Sally does. Does this mean one of us doesn't like her ? No, only that we have different perspective on her character. I have always loved Sam better in the team episodes than in the Sam-centric episodes, I've found that Jack's absences in season 7 were awfully written, that Daniel's return was poorly handled, that Teal'c lost a great part of his alienness when he grew hair, I was truely disappointed when Jonas left, I was devastated when Janet and Jacob died. Does this mean I can't enjoy the show anymore ? Not in my opinion, because it has always been for me about all of them together and not Sam and the others or Jack and the others. Maybe that's why I can still enjoy SG1. Maybe that's why I still have hope.
                        But I'm having issues with so many things. It's not a single character or relationship between characters. It's the plot holes you can drive tractor trailers through. It's the lack of attention to continuity and details. It's the lack of believable science. It's the joke-a-minute comedy hour. If I have an issue with any particular character, it's with Mitchell, who they had an entire season to make me like, and failed to do so. I actually like the direction they seem to be taking with Vala, but it's everything else combined that takes away my hope.

That said, I agree with you in that it's absolutely an issue with perspective on the show. If you go to the Camelot thread, you'll see lots of happy fans praising the CGI effects, the space battles, and the spaceships. Personally, I believe those are the fans TPTB are courting. And they love this season. Some of the people who hang out on this thread are perfectly happy with this season. There's nothing wrong with that (or them), it's just a different perspective from mine.

Unfortunately for me, the formula that works for the people who love this season is not a formula that works very well for me. But I'm not the audience they care about. They've done exactly what they wanted to do this year. They've drawn in new fans, and they've kept the ratings afloat with RDA gone. My perspective on the show (that season 9 was a flop for a variety of reasons) matters nothing to them. They have their happy new fans, and kept a bunch of happy long-time fans, as well. So why should I hope they'll change the direction from where they've gone this year? Why would they want to change? I don't think the ratings have dropped significantly enough for them to be concerned, and since I'll bet they bounced back up for Crusade and Camelot, I'm not sure they ever will.

By the way, Lys, I'm not trying to shoot down your hopes (with a howitzer, pellet gun, slingshot, or anything else). I envy you your optimism. I'm just trying to explain (justify?) my grim lack of anything even remotely resembling hope at this point.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          See, the only thing I can say is good about Jack being gone is that we're not subjected to the whole ship thing. If it comes back, I would hope they are together-end of story--no soapy angst. I think that's my biggest concession to the shippers yet. Maybe you guys are a bad influence on me.
                          Are you betraying us ?
                          Don't you see it's a trap ? The big penguinesque shippers' trap ! If, and I stress 'if', Jack and Sam are togoether, the writers will give us angst, loads of soapy angst ! Sam is working on the SGC, Jack is in Washington, how can they see each other ? Will they be able to ask Thor for some beaming kit ? Will the neighbours suspect anything when they're going to see little grey guys working on Sam's home basement ? What about the odd reports in tabloids ? "Scoop : a strange beam seen above a cabin in Northen Minnesota, the NID investigates"
                          Do you want to be submitted to that ?
                          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

i call them the big three because that's what they are. the three actors that brought this franchise to life and kept it going for almost a decade

the original three actors will always be set apart from the new guys to me. Just like lexa will never fill janet's shoes.

she is a decent enough character in her own right (ignoring the silly soap opera my daddy's the boss scenario) and i would like to see her interacting with cameron some more. (CLAM is a great deterant to SCAM ) but she's just a new character. She will never adequately replace janet. Just as CAm, while he certainly has potential, will never totally replace jack. and jonas, as much as i liked him, would never take daniel's place. he filled a role certainly, but he wasnt' daniel and never would be
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              i call them the big three because that's what they are. the three actors that brought this franchise to life and kept it going for almost a decade

the original three actors will always be set apart from the new guys to me. Just like lexa will never fill janet's shoes.

she is a decent enough character in her own right (ignoring the silly soap opera my daddy's the boss scenario) and i would like to see her interacting with cameron some more. (CLAM is a great deterant to SCAM ) but she's just a new character. She will never adequately replace janet. Just as CAm, while he certainly has potential, will never totally replace jack. and jonas, as much as i liked him, would never take daniel's place. he filled a role certainly, but he wasnt' daniel and never would be
                              I agree, Sky. It's not to say that Lam, Landry, Cam and Vala will never fit in, of course. It's just very difficult to erase - or negate - the 100+ episodes where other people fit into those roles.

There wouldn't even be an issue of Lam, Landry, Cam or Vala if it hadn't been for the three original actors/characters. The show would've disappeared a long time ago.

I still think we can call them TO3.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                                Are you betraying us ?
                                Don't you see it's a trap ? The big penguinesque shippers' trap ! If, and I stress 'if', Jack and Sam are togoether, the writers will give us angst, loads of soapy angst ! Sam is working on the SGC, Jack is in Washington, how can they see each other ? Will they be able to ask Thor for some beaming kit ? Will the neighbours suspect anything when they're going to see little grey guys working on Sam's home basement ? What about the odd reports in tabloids ? "Scoop : a strange beam seen above a cabin in Northen Minnesota, the NID investigates"
                                Do you want to be submitted to that ?
                                Would it ruin your illustration, if I said "Yes!"?

Hallowed are the Penguins!

Comment

Working...
                                X