Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simhavaktra

... I think we're just being wound up about RDA in ep 200, the same way we were wound up about 'someone we miss' for Ripple Effect, and then they'll go out and see who's actually available, and then squander the opportunities that do present themselves anyway.

If RDA appears in ep 200, and I doubt he will, it'll be another one of those poorly-programmed-hologram-doing-very-little bits like we got in Avalon and Origin. Short, stiff, and meaningless.

If RDA does any actual acting in ep 200, I'll actually write y'all a Sam fic.
    Better yet, coming from you: an official compendium on the Science of Stargate. We'll call it Stargate for Dummies.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      I liked Mandy's innocent reason. It's just easier to type TB3 than Sam, Daniel, Teal'c.

I think I posted S/T/D once, but I really don't think that'll work out in the long-run.
      Ahem. Yes. It does have other connotations, doesn't it?

Or, you know, I just have a dirty mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
        Ahem. Yes. It does have other connotations, doesn't it?

Or, you know, I just have a dirty mind.
        Nope. I took one look at it after I posted it and went, " That's not what I meant at all..."

You're not alone.

And nine days 'til you're out of town, Kat?! Whoo hoo!

I hereby respectfully make an official request for extreme dishage.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
          There's always hope.
          I don't know, Lys. There's hope, and there's wishful (but futile) thinking.

I'll continue to watch as long as Carter plays an intrinsic role, but I really don't have much hope for season 10. They had an entire season to give me hope for the future of the show, and they failed miserably. Every time I started to get my hopes up, they blew them out of the sky like duck hunters armed with howitzers. I'm pretty deaf to any cries of optimism at this point. My one source of hope lies with Brad Wright, but I don't know if he can pull off miracles, or if they'll even let him try. I really don't think they believe they have a need to change anything.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            I don't know, Lys. There's hope, and there's wishful (but futile) thinking.

I'll continue to watch as long as Carter plays an intrinsic role, but I really don't have much hope for season 10. They had an entire season to give me hope for the future of the show, and they failed miserably. Every time I started to get my hopes up, they blew them out of the sky like duck hunters armed with howitzers. I'm pretty deaf to any cries of optimism at this point. My one source of hope lies with Brad Wright, but I don't know if he can pull off miracles, or if they'll even let him try. I really don't think they believe they have a need to change anything.
            Maybe it's only a question of perspective on the show and the characters. Sam is one of my favourite characters (yes, only one of them ) but I can't see her the way AD sees her and I can't either see her the way Sally does. Does this mean one of us doesn't like her ? No, only that we have different perspective on her character. I have always loved Sam better in the team episodes than in the Sam-centric episodes, I've found that Jack's absences in season 7 were awfully written, that Daniel's return was poorly handled, that Teal'c lost a great part of his alienness when he grew hair, I was truely disappointed when Jonas left, I was devastated when Janet and Jacob died. Does this mean I can't enjoy the show anymore ? Not in my opinion, because it has always been for me about all of them together and not Sam and the others or Jack and the others. Maybe that's why I can still enjoy SG1. Maybe that's why I still have hope.
            Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

here's to a great S10 for Sam Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                that is such a perfect way to sum it up.

he fought and fought to get the band back together....then ditches them at every opportunity

I hope i'm wrong in this and that, in a few months, i'm singing vala's praises...but given the current level of care and skill we've seen from these writers thus far with characters, i just don't see how they can believably pull vala out of the hole they've written her into.

maybe if she'd have bee more like crusade all along, then sure, it wouldn't have been so much of an issue. but they seemed to have too much fun for too long
                Rob Cooper and Claudia did really brilliant job on "Crusade" introducing more toned down Vala (glimpses of which we actually saw earlier in The Powers That Be episode, so it is just gradual and logical continuation of this development) and it definitely will be continued in season 10. Plus, this last scene of "Camelot" was extremely touching. What I want to say is... Some time ago I managed to lay my hands on the sides from "Flesh and Blood" episode, 4 and 6 pages of dialogues (Vala with Daniel and Vala with..... nope, it's a secret now ) in PDF format and I can tell you that the development definitely continues, so it's obvious that at least RCC and perhaps Brad Wright know how to pull Vala out of this hole, I'm not sure though about another writers. I suppose RCC and Claudia talked a lot about Vala in season 10 and Rob will definitely listen to Claud's suggestions. And she's smart and knows what's best for her character

In his Q&A at Solutions board Joe said some time ago that Vala will be interacting with ALL SG-1 members, I'd love to see the episode with Sam and Vala on the mission without boys

Comment

Sam and Vala without the boys ... hope they write a good ep for that

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Better yet, coming from you: an official compendium on the Science of Stargate. We'll call it Stargate for Dummies.
                    Do Mr. Emu and Duck Dodgers get to write the preface ?
                    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                      Do Mr. Emu and Duck Dodgers get to write the preface ?
                      Only if the book is dedicated to Marvin the Martian.
                      On fighting:
                      Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                      Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                        Maybe it's only a question of perspective on the show and the characters. Sam is one of my favourite characters (yes, only one of them ) but I can't see her the way AD sees her and I can't either see her the way Sally does. Does this mean one of us doesn't like her ? No, only that we have different perspective on her character. I have always loved Sam better in the team episodes than in the Sam-centric episodes, I've found that Jack's absences in season 7 were awfully written, that Daniel's return was poorly handled, that Teal'c lost a great part of his alienness when he grew hair, I was truely disappointed when Jonas left, I was devastated when Janet and Jacob died. Does this mean I can't enjoy the show anymore ? Not in my opinion, because it has always been for me about all of them together and not Sam and the others or Jack and the others. Maybe that's why I can still enjoy SG1. Maybe that's why I still have hope.
                        Great points, Lys. I think you're on to something there...

Though it doesn't *ever* look it, I still have a smidgen of hope, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                          Exactly mini ! You're saying it so better than me. Whether it is the "Big 3" or the "Second Original Team", those names come out as clique names for me. I'm afraid of the "I won't watch because the story revolves around 'insert character name' " excuse. Granted, we all have our favourite characters and I'm not going to demonize any of you for not liking Vala or Cam or anyone else. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I only fear segregation. I remember back in season 6 fans saying "Daniel isn't in this episode, therefore I won't watch it". How rude ! And I mean how rude for the other original characters ! I'm afraid this attitude will come back. Only speaking for myself, I've never undertood it. I don't remember where, but I've seen comments dismissing Collateral Damage only because it was a Cam episode. Is that giving a new character a chance ? And why ignoring the part the other ones play in the episode ? What I'm trying to say here is that even if I don't think Cam is a consisitent character the way he has been written this season, I will give him a chance to improve later. It can be done. Look at what happened to Maybourne's character. He was pretty a stereotype in the first seasons and became a very complex and well rounded character once they decided to assiociate him more often with Jack. There's always hope.
                          I haven't managed to read all the posts on this, so I apologise if I haven't got the full gist.

However I'm not afraid of saying that I am one of those people you are referring to.

I do not for one moment think I am being rude. I think I am being honest. I dislike the charcater because of the message the character may project about women and which in my opinion is a very very negative message. I want women in leading roles who may be held up as role models to be portrayed in a much better light. Not watching is my protest - and maybe a watering down of this character is due to a lot of veiwers protesting about this character as I do.

If we do not actively protest about what we percieive to be unacceptable we would never be able to make a difference. Sometimes actions are more important than words. It is important to stand by what you believe.

If the series continues down the route it has chosen in season 9 I will not watch.

If Vala's character changes - then that is great as far as I'm concerned - maybe if they also get back to what SG1 is supposed to be about I may watch. But Vala will not be Vala will she - she will be a different character - probably the one they should have written from the start and maybe a character we would never have seen if people hadn't aired their negative views about the character in her original guise.

To be honest someone who happily bleeds a planet dry and lets it's people languish in poverty and on the brink of starvation whilst lavishing themselves in luxury (tell me how is this character fun?) has got to have a complete lack of integrity and lack of compassion. I'm not entirely convinced that in the real world people like this have the capability of changing I think the problem runs far too deep. The lewd remarks the strutting and flirting is more suited to a person of adolescent age and I just find it annoying.

I really do not like watching. If I don't watch this character why is that being rude?

I have not had a problem with any other character - just this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                            Rob Cooper and Claudia did really brilliant job on "Crusade" introducing more toned down Vala (glimpses of which we actually saw earlier in The Powers That Be episode, so it is just gradual and logical continuation of this development) and it definitely will be continued in season 10. Plus, this last scene of "Camelot" was extremely touching. <SNIPPED WRETCHED TEASING ABOUT SIDES AND CONVOS > ... it's obvious that at least RCC and perhaps Brad Wright know how to pull Vala out of this hole, I'm not sure though about another writers. I suppose RCC and Claudia talked a lot about Vala in season 10 and Rob will definitely listen to Claud's suggestions. And she's smart and knows what's best for her character

In his Q&A at Solutions board Joe said some time ago that Vala will be interacting with ALL SG-1 members, I'd love to see the episode with Sam and Vala on the mission without boys
                            Good points... ( though the spoiler whore within me is crying out right now at that wretched comment. it's a beast, I tell you!)

Unless one of TP says otherwise, I'm going to attribute Vala's toning down to Claudia Black, and perhaps a few other actors/powers (like BW). Claudia Black is smart, and knows what's best for her character, I agree. And, it would seem that she's not selfish either. She knows that her character mega-dominated the first several episodes, and she even went on record, so to speak, last fall by saying that Vala would need to be toned down. As long as Cooper and Wright listen to her during the tenth season, I think it'll be OK.

A mission or an arc involving Sam and Vala would do this series some good, too.

The writers of the Stargates need to take a page out of BSG's book, and utilize their female cast members more (just not in the hussy sense ).

Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who thinks that Sam, Liz, Teyla and Vala should go on a mission together next season in one of their whacked out crossovers. Just for kicks. Though I do wonder if those in charge can wrap their minds around writing an episode based solely on their female cast. Remember how they all felt during the production of Moebius? Yeah, I'd imagine it's something like that.
                            Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 14 March 2006, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              Good points... ( though the spoiler whore within me is crying out right now at that wretched comment. it's a beast, I tell you!)
                              I love especially the first 4 pages, they're really great

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                                I love especially the first 4 pages, they're really great
                                Yes, thank you. My wound loved that dash of salt.

Comment

Working...
                                X