No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking of using fic or the like as currency personally... but whatever floats your boat
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
      I was thinking of using fic or the like as currency personally... but whatever floats your boat
      Now, fic I can do (when I have the time and energy, that is)
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by emotionallydisturbed
        Hi! Newbie here. Just wanted to say that I absolutely adore Sam Carter, and can't wait to see more of her in the upcoming season. I'm a stargate-late-bloomer, so I'm doing a lot of catching up. SG-1 is easier than SGA because Sci-fi repeats SG-1 like four times daily! Anyway, the more I watch of Sam, the more I like!

Welcome, emotionallydisturbed!! I can't wait to see more of Sam and the team in the upcoming season as well!! And hopefully, we'll get some good storylines in season 10.

Comment

omg omg omg - Kish wrote Sam/Vala fic!

Liminal Space - it's rated R for femslashy stuff and its a tag to Camelot so obviously spoilers for that ep, but its a great read. And did I mention SAM/VALA?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            okay, i'll take that bet!

if rda's in the 200th ep, skydiver will pay you 100 US dollars. if he's not in the 200th ep, skydiver will pay you 100 US dollars.

i hope, HOPE, HOPE he is!! and sam and jack make out in the gateroom and make a video and sell it over the internet and jack can retire then and sam goes on oprah and ends up taking over for her and makes cazillions of dollars. or not.

sally
            looks at Sally.
            checks her wallet
            Looks at Sally

Ok, so now i know where my rum went
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

ha ha, i'd bet - but i think he WILL be in the episode, too.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                looks at Sally.
                checks her wallet
                Looks at Sally

Ok, so now i know where my rum went
                Whoa. Four MORE capital letters! Sommebody's been writing too much great fic lately!! Losin' those lazy habits!

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                  Back in season one, the storylines were also quite simple. SG1 goes to a planet, gets in trouble, fights, wins and comes back. They had time to explore the relationships between the main characters. Now that we're in season nine, they have to deal with a very big universe, one which has 8 years of history. One of their problems in regards to the team relationships is that the plot is taking advantage of the characters. They can only focus on one or barely two of the cast in the 42 minutes time of an episode. They can't go back to the way the episodes were written back in season one, not in SG1 universe. We can't expect characters with only a year of history in the show to be as complex and developped as those with nine years of history.
                  There's also how we perceive the new team, and I'm not talking about how the team has been written this year (very lacking in my opinion) but how we're talking about SG1. For some time, I've been reading posts with the "Big 3" and the other guy. How the heck do you expect Cam to fit in the team if you constantly put him apart ? I can only speak for myself but I really dislike the "Big 3" name. I think it reduces Sam, Daniel and Teal'c to a group of individuals only engrossed into their friendship and not very open minded. It's like they're building a big wall between their small group and any other person who'd dare to come too close to them. They're not like that. I really fear if it goes this way in the fans' minds that even with brilliant writing and awesome episodes, poor Cam will never fit into the team. There always be this huge wall between him and the others. Same goes for Vala.
                  When I said earlier that I wanted more team, it was more Sam, Cam, Daniel and Teal'c together, not more Sam, Daniel and Teal'c and never mind if the other guy is here or not. As far as I'm concerned, SG1 is a four persons team. I know this post won't please some of you but please, keep in mind that it isn't a rant in defense of Cam but in defense of the team.
                  Now, forgive me if my not so good mood of the moment shows between those lines.

Deepspace, nothing against your post. I agree season 9 is the beginning of a new team. I only quoted you as a reference for my rant.
                  Wow, look at you bravely going where some of us would rather not ...

Lys, you make a fair point ... as much as all of us love the vets, the original trio (sans Jack), we all have to come to grips with the fact that S9 did, in many ways, usher in a new era. And that Cam-a-lot is not going away and we want to see an ensemble cast that gels and works well together.

I think, if the writers are smart and start to shape Cam into a more mature member of the team, it will be easier to adjust to him. However, the whole leadership arc has to be addressed too and, there, I see Sam as the one who deserves command and respect. Will it happen in S10? She and T and Danny have been reacting to Cam's adolescent and impulsive behavior in these last several S9 episodes and, by making Cam so over-the-top, I think the writers have contributed to the split in the team by the way they show the three originals reacting to the newcomer. So it's hard for fans to just welcome him into the fold also. Does that make sense?

Frankly, I watch the show for Sam Carter. If her role lessens in S10, I will not have any desire to stay with the series. Sam is the heart of Stargate. No team will be the same without her.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                    ha ha, i'd bet - but i think he WILL be in the episode, too.
                    MS seems to imply that in his interview on the front page of GW. I think it's the "Pegasus Project" interview where he talks about the 200th episode and a "face we haven't seen for a long time" or something like that. Of course, that could simply mean that PDL hasn't had a recent cameo appearance and is overdue ...

There may be some shattered television screens the night of the 200th if RDA doesn't make his expected arrival! All those empty bottles of rum being cast at the telly ...

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      Wow, look at you bravely going where some of us would rather not ...

Lys, you make a fair point ... as much as all of us love the vets, the original trio (sans Jack), we all have to come to grips with the fact that S9 did, in many ways, usher in a new era. And that Cam-a-lot is not going away and we want to see an ensemble cast that gels and works well together.

I think, if the writers are smart and start to shape Cam into a more mature member of the team, it will be easier to adjust to him. However, the whole leadership arc has to be addressed too and, there, I see Sam as the one who deserves command and respect. Will it happen in S10? She and T and Danny have been reacting to Cam's adolescent and impulsive behavior in these last several S9 episodes and, by making Cam so over-the-top, I think the writers have contributed to the split in the team by the way they show the three originals reacting to the newcomer. So it's hard for fans to just welcome him into the fold also. Does that make sense?

Frankly, I watch the show for Sam Carter. If her role lessens in S10, I will not have any desire to stay with the series. Sam is the heart of Stargate. No team will be the same without her.
                      I agree CG. But well said, Lys. Your point is well taken. One of the reasons I've never used the term "Big 3" is because (to me) it's no different than another term I've heard bandied about "The Second Original SG-1". I'd rather not go in either of those directions, frankly.

Having said that ... I don't think my opinion of Cam Mitchell is really swayed by that mentality, either. I think I can quite honestly say that I'm not compartmentalizing SG-1 to the old guard - I really do want the team to work, and I was looking forward to seeing where the new characters would head in season nine (though I'll admit I always knew I'd miss the "Jack" element).

On the one hand, Lys makes a very good point about complexity of storyline being different in this season than it has previously. On the other hand, if you lose the human element of the storytelling and marginalize the character growth in favor of special effects and action sequences, you also lose the heart of the story, regardless of what it is. We need to know who these (new) people are, and we need to care, or we won't be able to care about their plight, nor the action sequences they're involved in.

I agree with Lys in that I think the primary challenge the writing team has tackled this past year has been trying to marry the idea of continuing SG-1 as an established series with recasting it. But I disagree that I (for one) have been pidgeon-holeing the team into an old box. I think I'd be among the first to admit that the team needs new vitality - especially with Jack now absent - and new characters can certainly bring that to the mix.

But if those new characters are going to be leaders (for example), right out of the box, then they need to come in with a solid backstory and a solid character basis to support that level of respect running forward. The fact is, they're going to have to "pay their dues" no matter how they come in, however, I think the mistake the writers made was making Cameron Mitchell so "green". Had he the experience, maturity of character and the backstory that (I think) his current role demands, people like me would be far happier to accept him as an integral part of the well-established (very solid and experienced) SG-1 team. I find Cameron a weak character at present. And if the storyline currently is too intense and complex to allow him to be grown before we plunge even farther forward, I'm afraid he'll lose even more sympathy from the audience - because it makes him little more than a continual recurring presence, without depth. He needs (and his character deserves) more than that; even if it means sacrificing a space battle or four.

Now, Vala, I have to say I've begun to feel somewhat differently about. Since her reappearance, she's been more REAL. Less of a stereotypical burlesque. Ironically, I realize that's because she was re-introduced as a mother-to-be, but regardless of the reason why, I can see that Vala already has a layer of depth to her that can expand and grow. Very ironically, she has more potential depth of character already than I personally feel Mitchell does. That's almost entirely due to the nuances of the dialogue she's been given (more recently). You can see there's more underneath, waiting to be uncovered. I'd like to see more of that kind of thing with Cam, should he remain. A lot more, frankly. Because good stories are about people. No matter how many flashy action sequences we want to fit in between.

minigeek

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                        Captionary capers. You guys are on a roll, so how about this one ...

Sam: So, do you think we should tell Vala that all-over tanning is bad for the skin?

Daniel: Mmm... oh, sorry Sam, did you say something?
                        Last edited by 1speed4Sam; 14 March 2006, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Ooh welcome new person

Hey I just wanted to pop up and lay a little wager amongst friends here @ Samanda. I bet anyone who'll take the bet, that we'll see RDA in the 200th ep.

Not sure what to wager for exactly, but I'm open to suggestion... any takers?

Taker, here! I'm so sure he'll be in the 200th ep that I'll wager a Poem of Lament for a Missing General if he isn't!

Just sayin', a short one, that is. Puttin' my hope where my heart is. TPTB have to be cracked if they didn't do this already. Oh, wait...
                          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                          sigpic
                          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            I agree CG. But well said, Lys. Your point is well taken. One of the reasons I've never used the term "Big 3" is because (to me) it's no different than another term I've heard bandied about "The Second Original SG-1". I'd rather not go in either of those directions, frankly.

Having said that ... I don't think my opinion of Cam Mitchell is really swayed by that mentality, either. I think I can quite honestly say that I'm not compartmentalizing SG-1 to the old guard - I really do want the team to work, and I was looking forward to seeing where the new characters would head in season nine (though I'll admit I always knew I'd miss the "Jack" element).

On the one hand, Lys makes a very good point about complexity of storyline being different in this season than it has previously. On the other hand, if you lose the human element of the storytelling and marginalize the character growth in favor of special effects and action sequences, you also lose the heart of the story, regardless of what it is. We need to know who these (new) people are, and we need to care, or we won't be able to care about their plight, nor the action sequences they're involved in.

I agree with Lys in that I think the primary challenge the writing team has tackled this past year has been trying to marry the idea of continuing SG-1 as an established series with recasting it. But I disagree that I (for one) have been pidgeon-holeing the team into an old box. I think I'd be among the first to admit that the team needs new vitality - especially with Jack now absent - and new characters can certainly bring that to the mix.

But if those new characters are going to be leaders (for example), right out of the box, then they need to come in with a solid backstory and a solid character basis to support that level of respect running forward. The fact is, they're going to have to "pay their dues" no matter how they come in, however, I think the mistake the writers made was making Cameron Mitchell so "green". Had he the experience, maturity of character and the backstory that (I think) his current role demands, people like me would be far happier to accept him as an integral part of the well-established (very solid and experienced) SG-1 team. I find Cameron a weak character at present. And if the storyline currently is too intense and complex to allow him to be grown before we plunge even farther forward, I'm afraid he'll lose even more sympathy from the audience - because it makes him little more than a continual recurring presence, without depth. He needs (and his character deserves) more than that; even if it means sacrificing a space battle or four.

Now, Vala, I have to say I've begun to feel somewhat differently about. Since her reappearance, she's been more REAL. Less of a stereotypical burlesque. Ironically, I realize that's because she was re-introduced as a mother-to-be, but regardless of the reason why, I can see that Vala already has a layer of depth to her that can expand and grow. Very ironically, she has more potential depth of character already than I personally feel Mitchell does. That's almost entirely due to the nuances of the dialogue she's been given (more recently). You can see there's more underneath, waiting to be uncovered. I'd like to see more of that kind of thing with Cam, should he remain. A lot more, frankly. Because good stories are about people. No matter how many flashy action sequences we want to fit in between.

minigeek
                            Brilliant post, mini! It all goes back to "form over content". All the bells and whistles won't mean a hoot if we don't care about the characters. How do we care? By getting to know them, what makes them tick, and then the fun begins. A good writer will make you care about the character and then introduce a new twist or plot which brings something new or surprising out of the character. So the character starts to grow and add even more layers of depth/meaning. And, bingo! We get hooked.

I'm like you in that I was sorely disappointed in the lack of depth to these newcomers, cardboard figures and stereotypes in some ways. Now, just maybe ... things will improve. Cam will begin to settle in and shed some of the bravado; Vala may become more multi-dimensional as it seems to be happening at end of S9. All to the good.

You said it perfectly: write in the depth, hint at and then reveal the layers to the main characters. The team will gel; the fans will care; and the action will take care of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                              Taker, here! I'm so sure he'll be in the 200th ep that I'll wager a Poem of Lament for a Missing General if he isn't!

Just sayin', a short one, that is. Puttin' my hope where my heart is. TPTB have to be cracked if they didn't do this already. Oh, wait...
                              ROTFLOL ... hey, if he isn't, I'll be glad to write the poem for you!!

Jester

Comment

Working...
                              X